NDR Details

We are running Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Cluster.  I have recently
become aware that our server is bouncing 'desirable' messages. I have
confirmed through message tracking that the messages arrived, but a
non-delivery report was generated.  I offer no reason why the messages were
not delivery.  How can I troubeshoot this and obtain details on 'why' the
messages were not delivered.  If it says an NDR was generated does that
assure at least that the 'sender' is being notified? Are there logs I can
review?  There is nothing the the Event Viewer, and Message Tracking doesn't
offer details.  Any help appreciated!

Thanks
0
CEmmons (44)

First thing is to get a copy of the NDR, that will give an indication as to
why the message is being bounced. Once this has been obtained then it is
possible to investigate further.
Do messages to specific users or all users generate the NDR ?

Regards

Paul Ford
Edge IT Ltd

"C Emmons" <CEmmons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are running Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Cluster.  I have recently
> become aware that our server is bouncing 'desirable' messages. I have
> confirmed through message tracking that the messages arrived, but a
> non-delivery report was generated.  I offer no reason why the messages
> were
> not delivery.  How can I troubeshoot this and obtain details on 'why' the
> messages were not delivered.  If it says an NDR was generated does that
> assure at least that the 'sender' is being notified? Are there logs I can
> review?  There is nothing the the Event Viewer, and Message Tracking
> doesn't
> offer details.  Any help appreciated!
>
> Thanks

0
paulford1 (138)
6/9/2005 6:47:34 PM
As I was troubleshooting a NDR on another message, I realized that a message
I was expecting was also returned.  It turns out to be coincidental and I
have not identify why the messages were rejected in both cases.

However, I am still very curious how to obtain more details on NDRs - logs
or error codes.  Do I have to depend on getting a copy from the sender?  I
would like to be able to look within my own Exchange installation somewhere -
can I do this?

"Paul Ford" wrote:

> First thing is to get a copy of the NDR, that will give an indication as to
> why the message is being bounced. Once this has been obtained then it is
> possible to investigate further.
> Do messages to specific users or all users generate the NDR ?
>
> Regards
>
> Paul Ford
> Edge IT Ltd
>
> "C Emmons" <CEmmons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are running Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Cluster.  I have recently
> > become aware that our server is bouncing 'desirable' messages. I have
> > confirmed through message tracking that the messages arrived, but a
> > non-delivery report was generated.  I offer no reason why the messages
> > were
> > not delivery.  How can I troubeshoot this and obtain details on 'why' the
> > messages were not delivered.  If it says an NDR was generated does that
> > assure at least that the 'sender' is being notified? Are there logs I can
> > review?  There is nothing the the Event Viewer, and Message Tracking
> > doesn't
> > offer details.  Any help appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks

0
CEmmons (44)
6/9/2005 7:24:04 PM
Turn diagnostic logging up all the way on your server on the Transport and
MTA...that will put detailed messages in your event log.  Remeber to turn it
off when you are done...

> As I was troubleshooting a NDR on another message, I realized that a
> message
> I was expecting was also returned.  It turns out to be coincidental and I
> have not identify why the messages were rejected in both cases.
>
> However, I am still very curious how to obtain more details on NDRs - logs
> or error codes.  Do I have to depend on getting a copy from the sender?  I
> would like to be able to look within my own Exchange installation
> somewhere -
> can I do this?
>
> "Paul Ford" wrote:
>

>> First thing is to get a copy of the NDR, that will give an indication as
>> why the message is being bounced. Once this has been obtained then it is
>> possible to investigate further.
>> Do messages to specific users or all users generate the NDR ?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul Ford
>> Edge IT Ltd
>>
>> "C Emmons" <CEmmons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We are running Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Cluster.  I have
>> > recently
>> > become aware that our server is bouncing 'desirable' messages. I have
>> > confirmed through message tracking that the messages arrived, but a
>> > non-delivery report was generated.  I offer no reason why the messages
>> > were
>> > not delivery.  How can I troubeshoot this and obtain details on 'why'
>> > the
>> > messages were not delivered.  If it says an NDR was generated does that
>> > assure at least that the 'sender' is being notified? Are there logs I
>> > can
>> > review?  There is nothing the the Event Viewer, and Message Tracking
>> > doesn't
>> > offer details.  Any help appreciated!
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
tfelts1 (344)

Stopping NDR's
Is there away to stop NDR's for users that no longer exist in Exchange 2000, and also keep the "Bad Mail" folder from filling up? Thanks Brad Create an Emtpy Distribution List with no members. Add the ex-employee email address to the DL list. They will simply disappear. For the Bad Mail, you can write a simple batch file to purge or delete the folder. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:057a01c3d3e0$48730b60$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there away ...

setiing Folder View to show details
Is there any way to set the Folder View to details for all the folders rather than to tiles in XP? nospam;3370973 Wrote: > Is there any way to set the Folder View to details for all the folders > rather than to tiles in XP? Yes there is. It's really easy to do too. Here's what you do. Go to any folder and set the view to details. Don't close the window (stay in that folder). Go to the "Tools" menu and select "Folder Options". Select the "View" tab. Click the "Apply To All Folders" button under the &q...

NDR ?
I get one of the following messages whenever I try to send messages to certain recipients: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'betsy@xyz.com' on 4/12/04 9:39 AM The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040412133844Z-433 ------------------------------------------------- The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'adam@abc.com' on 3/25/2004 1:53 PM Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040325185233...

Sorting for GL entry details in the Inquiry screen
Dear All, I have set the sorting options on the segment 2 in one of the installations. now, the list of details for GL entry appears differ than its entering sequence. Is this related to the sorting options I used or is somthing I can change it. Best regards, ...

Cannot open original message in NDR
Hello, When I receive a NDR I cannot open the original message in Outlook 2003. When I use Outlook Express I can open and view the original message. What do I have to do to see the original message in Outlook 2003? Kind regards: Emiel Kempen. what's NDR? nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook/<OcPrtbI0EHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl> Hello, When I receive a NDR I cannot open the original message in Outlook 2003. When I use Outlook Express I can open and view the original message. What do I have to do to see the original message in Outlook 2003? ...

NDR
Have a remote user who connects to LAN via VPN, using XP professional and Office XP small business. Email worked fine yesterday but now user cannot send mail, gets following error message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: test Sent: 10/16/2003 11:44 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: recipients name on 10/16/2003 11:44 AM None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient. User can receive email without any problems. I cannot find this in the knowledge base so any help would be g...

Unique user reports people are getting NDR's when sending him messages within my organization
Strange behavior. About 5 users report that sending messages to "Smith, John" (a valid user in my organization) returns an NDR. I attempted to send message to "Smith, John" and it works fine. I noticed that users who complain messages are failing are housed in the same Mailbox Store, Storage and Exchange server than John, Smith. I attempted to track message below using Messaging Tracking center but no results were returned. Please advise how can I troubleshoot this ? What this error could be ? From: System Administrator Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 7:28 AM T...

NDR's and Virus's
I recieved a e-mail from my T-1 provider stating "A host (my domain ip) within your IP block appears to be the source of an email containing the virus: Worm.Sober.U. The email address listed in the from field in messages sent by most viruses is generally spoofed. Please ensure that your mail server is not sending a virus notification or NDR (non delivery report) to this address as these methods can be used directly or indirectly to propagate email viruses." I have determined that it is indeed a NDR report being generated causing the issue. I also notice that when I do a ...

OOO and NDR Security Risk Solutions
Hi, I'd like to enable NDRs and external OOO messages, which have been disabled by the previous IT Manager, but I am aware of the potential security risks. Can someone please recommend security tools which help prevent some of these risks? Thanks, Matt I know that guns kill people. Can someone recommend a gun that doesn't kill people as much? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" <mlaufer@srg.com> wrote in message news:1160520993.355412.165180@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I'd like to enable N...

NDR #6
Hi I get the follwoing message Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 26/10/2004 08:27 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Wright, Doug . on 26/10/2004 08:27 A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator. <server.domain.com #5.4.6> I have the ADC in place I only get this message when sending to the this exchange 5.5 site from 2003 server the connector shows no e...

E2k3 NDR's
Hi folks, This is a silly one I know, but is there a way of collecting alls messages for domain to one mailbox without sending an NDR where the name came not be found. IE user John@123.com will receive mail direct to John, but Daivd will receive all other mail to @123.com without entering all the different names. Want I want is a catch all. Thanks in advance Stephen Why dont you try the "forward all unresolved" recipients to host on the SMTP virtual server. If you use a windows 2000 SMTP service as the forwarding server, the messages can go into the DROP directory. "...

Macro to show/hide detail in an outline
First post here, I hope someone can help! I have a group outline on one of my sheets that has five separate levels. I need to create buttons on the sheet to hide/show a greater or lesser level of detail (i.e. clicking an "up" button will show one additional level of detail in the outline, clicking the "down" will hide one level). I've tried using a spinner, which seemed like a suitable option. The spinner was set to minimum 1, maximum 5, linking to cell S1. I then had a simple code that ran when the spinner changed: Spincount = Range("S1") ActiveSheet.Outl...

NDR
I'm getting a NDR on my E2003 server with the following error in it: #5.5.0 smtp error 552 recipient counts exceeds maximum I'm not able to find anything about the error message and I'm wondering what it means and what to do about it. Regards, Rob ...

NDR #2
how does one change permission on the system 32 directory from everyone read to everyone change ...

Exchange 2000 modifies NDR's from outside
Hello, whenever a NDR generated by remote servers comes to our exchange server, exchange modifies the NDR, including attached message. As a result, we can't safely detect where the problem started and what server generated the NDR. Is there any possibility to set up exchange not to modify the NDR, and to show it exactly as it came in? (except Received: headers, which of course should be added). Thank you. -- Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/ Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address. Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT a...

NDR return with attachment
I have exchange 2000 on windows 2000 with sigle domain, when our users send a mail with file attachment to external users and by mistacke they make typo mistake in email address then they will received NDR mail with same attachment. Can it be configurable in exchane 2000 that users received NDR but without attachment Nagori ...

how does money handle travel details per trip?
Greetings, I would appreciate any pointers anyone can give. I'm trying to find a way to keep track of the expenses for each trip. The problem is that both classifications are already used for other purposes (branch and fund). Within each trip date I need: 1) trip date 2) dinning 3) lodging and 4) airfare? any ideas? Thanks, A possible solution: Create subcategories for Dining, Lodging and Airfare (such as Business Expenses: Dining). Customize your reports to include only the date range for the trip and to only show those subcategories. When you're reimbursed, credit the reimbur...

NDR: 552
HI Everyone, One of my exchange 2003 users receive this error when they try sending mail to a particular domain. the error is: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: someone@somewhere on 10/07/2006 9:48 AM There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <isdex001.intra.swsahs.nsw.gov.au #5.5.0 smtp;552 imsss01.intra.swsahs.nsw.gov.au: your "received:" header counts of 21 exceeds maximum setting 20> Any ideas as to why we receive this error i am kind apretty su...

Outlook Calendar
I am stumped, Outlook 2003 In the past all our users will use the "Calendar Details Style" to print the details section of the calendar. To date we did not know of any other style that would print this. We have one user who was printing using the Daily Style and getting their information that was entered into the details of the calendar.. We proved from old printouts and looking into the calendar entries that indeed the daily style print was printing the calendar details, for the last year, and now it won't. We are trying to see what was turned on or off. It does not...

Outlook NDR 5.1.0
I have a newly migration exchange 2003 sp2 on windows 2003 r2 DC - it's a GC and has Symantec Mail Security for MS Exchange and GFI Antispam. Have another windows 2003 r2 server that is also a GC. When I send emails to a group of 16 or more users (eg. a mailing list of most of our staff of 40) AND some of the users have a inbound delivery restriction to receive mail from a specific query distribution group I get an undeliverable with a 5.1.0 - Event ID 3009, MSExchangeTransport, Cause: This is categorizer failure caused by a bad address. Solution: Either the recipient address is...

NDR Report
We get this NDR error when someone sends to a particular address: 550 Only 1 recipients accepted with null sender address Again, the emails are sent using Outlook to a listing in our GAL for the Custom Recipient. I have checked the outgoing messages and they do contain a sender address. Any ideas? Thanks. BSchmidt Have you contacted the recipient's admin folk on this? BSchmidt wrote: > We get this NDR error when someone sends to a particular address: > > 550 Only 1 recipients accepted with null sender address > > Again, the emails are sent using Out...

Stopping NDR's #2
How does one go about configuring Exchange to NOT generate NDR's for incoming mail, but still let my internal users know that our server failed to deliver an email? Example - an internal network user sends an email to a good address, but for whatever reason exchange does not deliver it within the specified time frame I set in exchange. An NDR should be generated and delivered to my user. However, if an email comes INTO my network with a bad email address for a network user, I want NO NDR to be generated, so that spammers cannot hammer my server and learn correct email addresses. ...

Hi everyone, I was wondering , if there is a way I can stop NDR to senders and still have copies of NDRs sent to a mailbox within same exchange organization ? I looked all KB but couldn't find a way to do this. I'm running Exchange 2k-SP3. Any help or direction in this regards will be greatly appreciated, Regards Sameer ...

Customer Detailed Report
Hi, Can anyone help me - i need a report for store operations or HQ which will show me the full address of all customers on the system along with their country, i have got 3 different reports, all which show lots of information, but i need the country in order to do my mail shot! If anyone can help that would be great!! Hi Philip, We have one that gives the following (Both HQ and SO) title, name, company, address1, address2, state, zip, country, e-mail Email me and I will send to you sales@retail-pos.com Ian McLean RMS "Philip Gass" <PhilipGass@discussions.microsoft....

update details using vba
Hi I have a validation list over 2 cells which when a specific word is selected from the list then I need the word 'Please specify:' to be shown in another cell but when any other word is selected from the list is is empty then I dont want the 'Please specify:' to be visible. Can anyone help. I have tried the following but does not work and I dont know why. Private Sub Worksheet_selectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "G26" Then If Range("G26").Value = "Other" Then Range("E28").Value = "P...