My IMAP account in Outlook Express connecting to Exchange Server always fails but same account in Outlook always works

Experts,

Running Windows Server 2003 SP1.  Exchange SP2.  IMAP account in Outlook
Express connecting to Exchange Server always fails but same account in
Outlook always works.  Error below:

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Configuration:
   Account: Director
   Server: Server1
   User name: AD\Director
   Protocol: IMAP
   Port: 143
   Secure(SSL): 0
   Code: 800cccd1

I realize the workaround is domain/username/alias for the Outlook Express
username.  That still fails.  I even made the alias the same as the
username. Also fails.  This very same workstation can access the very same
mailbox using the full Outlook client.  I can duplicate the problem on
another workstation.  And yes I can telnet to servername on port 143.  Help
please!

--
Spin

0
Spin (165)

Since I have received no help I went ahead and deleted the AD account and
mailbox.  The AD account was itself an InetOrgPerson type, but it seemed to
work ok with that up until the last couple of days. So I re-created the
account, setting it to type "user" instead of InetOrgPerson.  I ran a
mailbox cleanup agent task on the store and purged the mailbox.  Re-created
it about 5 seconds later.  This is the only store on the only server in the
site.  When I tried to open Outlook with this account on another workstation
I got the below error.  Pressing OK lets me into the mailbox anyway.
Opening other mailboxes on the server do not give me the error.  I am
looking for insight onto this new error.

"Exchange is currently in recovery mode.  You can either connect to your
Exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this logon."

--
Spin

"Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message
> Experts,
>
> Running Windows Server 2003 SP1.  Exchange SP2.  IMAP account in Outlook
> Express connecting to Exchange Server always fails but same account in
> Outlook always works.  Error below:
>
> Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>
> Configuration:
>   Account: Director
>   Server: Server1
>   User name: AD\Director
>   Protocol: IMAP
>   Port: 143
>   Secure(SSL): 0
>   Code: 800cccd1
>
> I realize the workaround is domain/username/alias for the Outlook Express
> username.  That still fails.  I even made the alias the same as the
> username. Also fails.  This very same workstation can access the very same
> mailbox using the full Outlook client.  I can duplicate the problem on
> another workstation.  And yes I can telnet to servername on port 143.
> Help please!
>
> --
> Spin

0
Spin (165)
12/5/2005 1:54:43 AM
Figured it out.  I had set the Exchange server to archive all messages sent
and received to a specific contact address that I had deleted from the
system!  I removed that check and all is well!  It stopped IMAP accounts
from even connecting.

--

> Since I have received no help I went ahead and deleted the AD account and
> mailbox.  The AD account was itself an InetOrgPerson type, but it seemed
> to work ok with that up until the last couple of days. So I re-created the
> account, setting it to type "user" instead of InetOrgPerson.  I ran a
> mailbox cleanup agent task on the store and purged the mailbox.
> Re-created it about 5 seconds later.  This is the only store on the only
> server in the site.  When I tried to open Outlook with this account on
> another workstation I got the below error.  Pressing OK lets me into the
> mailbox anyway. Opening other mailboxes on the server do not give me the
> error.  I am looking for insight onto this new error.
>
> "Exchange is currently in recovery mode.  You can either connect to your
> Exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this logon."
>
> --
> Spin
>
> "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message
>> Experts,
>>
>> Running Windows Server 2003 SP1.  Exchange SP2.  IMAP account in Outlook
>> Express connecting to Exchange Server always fails but same account in
>> Outlook always works.  Error below:
>>
>> Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>>
>> Configuration:
>>   Account: Director
>>   Server: Server1
>>   User name: AD\Director
>>   Protocol: IMAP
>>   Port: 143
>>   Secure(SSL): 0
>>   Code: 800cccd1
>>
>> I realize the workaround is domain/username/alias for the Outlook Express
>> username.  That still fails.  I even made the alias the same as the
>> username. Also fails.  This very same workstation can access the very
>> same mailbox using the full Outlook client.  I can duplicate the problem
>> on
>> another workstation.  And yes I can telnet to servername on port 143.
>> Help please!
>>
>> --
>> Spin

0
Spin (165)

Analytical Accounting
As Dynamics GP is now our ERP solution for Public Sector, we really need to have the AA - now our grant, fund and budget solution all being able to work with Integration Manager. Our partner Raffa, was telling me today that they lost a deal on GP because the Integration Manager did not integrate to AA. I agree with previous posting that new key features should release and work or have a plan to release and work very shortly with Integration Manager. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for th...

IMAP
Hi, I would like to enable IMAP to my Exch2003 server, but the service is not there. How do I install IMAP4 ? Thnaks. Matt On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:50:51 -0800, matt wrote: > I would like to enable IMAP to my Exch2003 server, but the > service is not there. > > How do I install IMAP4 ? Well IMAP4 is there, the service is just disabled per default. You will need to enable and start in under Services. (Microsoft Exchange IMAP). Regards -- Henrik Walther http://exchange-faq.dk ...

strange imap connection problems
My imap connections seem to be flaky (only imap, pop3 is fine) the first time i load outlook and send/recieve it works fine. then every time after that my machine fails on the dns lookup of the mail server. (even nslookup in console fails) any ideas whats causing this? cheers, -ciaron ...

Outlook behaving strangely
I have a couple of add ins, the backup utility and paypal winning buyer notification but the Paypal add in has disappeared from the toolbar even though it is checked in the add in box. Also I have 'delete deleted on exit checked but it doesn't do it, what is happening? ...

Forwarding mail received from a receive-only account to a send/receive account
I am trying to setup Outlook 2002 (SP3) to pop mail from one of my accounts. This account (Account1)is receive-only, that is in the Send/Receive group settings I have setup the account to "Receive mail items" but not to "Send mail items". I have existing rules that forward mail that I get from certain people, and I have another account (Account2) which I have setup to send and receive. However, when I receive mail from Account1 that matches the rules, the mail gets forwarded(sent) using Account1 even though the Send/Receive group settings say the account is receive-only. ...

Mircosoft Web Outlook having problems reading my mail
I am having trouble accessing my e-mail through Mirco-Soft Exchange Web Outlook ...

Restrict inbound Internet email to a group of users on Exchange 20
What is the easiest way to restrict a large group of users from receiving email from non-authenticated users. I know there is a checkbox setting that allows me to configure this on a per user basis, but how do I change this for 1000 users at one time. Our company policies have recently changed, and managemnt wants most users to only be able to send and receive emails from authenticated users. I already have the send portion configured using a connector, but how do I do restrict receiving? Thanks. Create a new Recipient Policy and assign them email addresses for an internal or non-...

Using LogonUser with the Guest account
Hi, I'm trying to write a plug-in for a ftp server of mine to permit the integration with accounts defined on the Windows system. What I basically need is impersonating a user, execute e filesystem call (e.g. create a directory via os.mkdir()) and then switch back to the original user (Administrator). I wrote down this simple class which seems to fit pretty well for my purposes: class WinNTAuthorizer: def impersonate_user(self, username, password): self.impersonated_user_handler = win32security.LogonUser( username, None, ...

Outlook 2003 and Hotmail account sync. problem..
** posted to microsoft.public.outlook and microsoft.public.outlook.general -- don't know which is the most relevant -- sorry for the inconvenience ** Hi ! I'm using an Hotmail account that can still be accessed from outlook/outlook express. In Outlook 2003, I experience an intermittent (but frequent) problem with that account : when Outlook performs its "send/receive" task, a windows asking to confirm the Hotmail account password pops, with only the "Ok" and "Cancel" buttons as valid choices. Clicking on the "Ok" button clears the win...

export account settings
i have outlook 2002 i configured 2 mail accounts in it, one of them is belong to exchange server, and the outher one belong to hotmail service. anyway i forget my hotmail account password, i log every time automatic from outlook but my problem now that i need to format my PC, and i will not be able to access my hotmail account any more but if there is any way i can backup the outlook settings as it is with all account settings include the password that will be great, and i think there is a way to export these settings as there is a way to import it but how could i do it and is it from in...

daily export of accounts
hi. How can I achieve an automated daily export of accounts and associated activities and primary contact (with it's informations) into a csv-file or an external database? I thought of a SQL- job but my know-how of SQL is allmost nothing. Kind regards, Viktor Hi Victor, You might want to use a DTS Package in SQL Server. This enables you to easily output data from a database to another database. My advise is to try and find some articles on DTS Packages on the internet. Another method is to write an application which calls the CRM API and retrieve the data yourself (and write to...

primary contact in Account
Is it possible when you clcik on the search button for Primary contact to only display the contacts for that account? Regards Ian Hi Ian, Yes it is possible. Check out Ronald's post which exactly explains how to customize it. http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/2006/12/filter-data-in-crm-lookup-field.html -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/umar.khan "Ian Watson" wrote: > Is it possible when you clcik on the search butto...

Outlook Meeting Request from Win Mobile shows meeting time as current time
I can't figure this out, although all the research I've done on the internet shows some other people have a similar problem (with no solution we could find). When sending a meeting request via email (doesn't matter which; activesync, pop mail, etc.) the invitation shows up in Outlook (tried both 2003 and 2007---same result) with the "when" field populated with the current computer time and date or, sometimes, with the date and time the message was sent. I do not have this problem sending a meeting request from the desktop computer using Oulook---works fine. In the ...

Transfering Money from account to account
I am having problems transfering money from account to account or paying off my credit cards in Money 05. All my accounts are set at automatically downloading the transactions. In my checking account a payment of 500 dollars was transferred to my savings account (sep bank). In my savings account, 500 dollars was recieved. In my reports section in Money it shows the 500 dollars, in the category Credit Card Payments/Transfers which I assigned, as the largest spending by Category for the month. Also it is the 2nd largest in spending by Payee. I dont want the report to show this as an expense...

Outlook RPC Troubleshooting Exchange 2003
- If this is not the correct area to post this question, please let me know and I will head elsewhere - I have a client with SBS2003, and several client notebooks happily running Outlook 2003 via RPC over HTTP. One particular machine which was also working happily with User A has been handed to User B, and no matter what I try I can't get Outlook over the Internet to work. As others are working OK, I believe the server side is set up correctly. I have deleted and reinstalled the Security Certificate, added the RPC registry keys under HK Local User because they did not exist ...

Outlook 2002 #134
Outlook 2002 worked well on my XP pro machine - then MS sent us the new software pack and I installed Outlook 2003 - I can't remember why, but I couldn't make any sense of 2003, uninstalled it, re-installed 2002 and since then I can't do a 'send and recieve all' - I am reduced to doing a send and recieve on each account individually and have been for a few months. This also means i can't do an automatic send and recieve. When i do 'send and recieve all' i get the error message "operation failed". HELP! ...

Outlooks hangs when opening message...
I have Outlook 2002 for XP. I have a problem that just started happening. Lately when I send messages via Outlook I get some that come back as undeliverable. After the message is downloaded and the focus is put on that undeliverable email, the system locks up and the only thing I can do it reboot the computer. I don't know what is causing this. Please help. ...

imap
Hello All, I have win2k SBS server providing email for about 20 users. Their internet connection, to the office where the exchange server lives, is 512k guaranteed up and down I believe. The clients that have desktops are set up as exchnage clients via Outlook 2k and XP. The laptop users are set up as imap clients via outlook because they will be using a dial up connection most of the time on the road or away from the office. My problem starts when an imap client's mail box gets over 100mb and then they start to get time out issues even if they have a high speed connection at the time...

tasks in outlook today
how do you get tasks that are checked of as complete, not to appear on the outlook today screen. I have tried everything with no luck i'm using outlook 2002 please help Mike .. ...

Customize Outlook Today #11
On the outlook today page, when I click on Customize Outlook today it will not open the customize page. The following MSKB article provides the fix for this issue. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Tom" <tombasenji@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:007801c35926$...

Why don't I have a 'Send' button on my outlook express email page
I have downloaded Microsoft Office 2003. When I go into my Outlook Express email page I can write an email but I have no 'send' button showing on the page so that I can get the email sent off. Where is it....or how can I find it??? "rednil" <rednil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCFFAA00-0E21-4704-B603-DC033EA95A78@microsoft.com... > I have downloaded Microsoft Office 2003. When I go into my Outlook > Express > email page I can write an email but I have no 'send' button showing on the > page so that I can get the...

Running server reporting errors
Hi Anyone seen this before - taken from the application log on an SBS 2003 server. Server does recover from this but this seems to be happening regularly. A process serving application pool 'CRMAppPool' terminated unexpectedly Appreciate any help or pointers. Regards After moveing to v3 mine did this too... and recovered.. after rebooting itself! PeteC wrote: > Hi > > Anyone seen this before - taken from the application log on an SBS 2003 > server. Server does recover from this but this seems to be happening > regularly. > > A process serving application po...

Outlook without Exchange Server
I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook 2003 can be used with pier-to-pier sertup in a small office with leass than 5 employees. The functionality desired would be to be able to forward and recieve messages, tasks, appointments, share and view calendar etc. I was wondering if outlook can be used within a workgroup in a LAN setup without having exchange server. Thanks, Athiff In news:1ad6001c423e0$2a80b120$a601280a@phx.gbl, Athiff <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: || I am new to outlook. I am trying to find out if Outlook || 2003 can be used with pier-...

Question about antivirus for Exchange 2003
I currently use Mcafee groupshield for exchange 5.5 and while it does block infected attachments, it still sends the email message to the user which generates alot of complaints. I am ugrading to Exchange 2003 and this time I want to get something that is a little more flexible and can block not only the attachment, but the message too. I will look into the latest Mcafee solution, but wanted to hear about the experiences of others on this NG. Thanks NH Hi Ned, I'm using McAfee GroupShield for Exchange 2003. For your information, the software still behave exactly as you mentioned in...