Multiple SMTP addresses & rules

Hi,

I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now HR
wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as well. I was
hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to this account.

But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email addressed to
HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for Jobs.

But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the HR and
Jobs folder with the rules.

I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I create the
HR contact, it will automatcially change the hr@companyname.com to
jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up to Exchange.  But can I get
around this?

Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much trying
to avoid.

Thanks

0
nospam524 (16)

Normally Outlook will base a rule off the Exchange alias and not the SMTP
address.  Also, since it technically has both the jobs and HR assigned as
valid addresses it will not differentiate between the two since the alias is
the same for the exchange account.  Basically unless I am totally wrong you
will have to create a second HR account and mailbox for your rules to work as
you wish.

"John" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now HR
> wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as well. I was
> hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to this account.
>
> But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email addressed to
> HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for Jobs.
>
> But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
> jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the HR and
> Jobs folder with the rules.
>
> I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I create the
> HR contact, it will automatcially change the hr@companyname.com to
> jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up to Exchange.  But can I get
> around this?
>
> Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much trying
> to avoid.
>
> Thanks

0
Transam388 (53)
12/21/2005 3:09:04 PM

In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:
> Hi,
>
> I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now
> HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as
> well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to
> this account.
> But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email
> addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for
> Jobs.
> But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
> jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the
> HR and Jobs folder with the rules.
>
> I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I
> create the HR contact, it will automatcially change the
> hr@companyname.com to jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up
> to Exchange.  But can I get around this?
>
> Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much
> trying to avoid.
>
> Thanks

Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the message
headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
Outlook.

You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs mailbox
to it.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/21/2005 3:09:59 PM
I've done the same thing you're trying to do.  The method Lanwench suggests
works great.  Don't setup your rule to look at who the message was sent to,
but instead, tell it look for "jobs@companyname.com" in the message header
(and another rule to do the same for the HR address).  Make sure that when
you save these rules that they are not client-side rules as they will only
process when Outlook is open.  You shouldn't have a problem with this though
unless you are trying to redirect the message into a PST file or something.
Good luck!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now
> > HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as
> > well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to
> > this account.
> > But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email
> > addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for
> > Jobs.
> > But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
> > jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the
> > HR and Jobs folder with the rules.
> >
> > I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I
> > create the HR contact, it will automatcially change the
> > hr@companyname.com to jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up
> > to Exchange.  But can I get around this?
> >
> > Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much
> > trying to avoid.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the message
> headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
> Outlook.
>
> You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs mailbox
> to it.

0
Nathan (89)
12/21/2005 4:00:03 PM
Header worked!!!  THANKS!!!!!!

Would I be pushing it to ask how to change the reply address for when they
reply to these emails? ;)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now
>> HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as
>> well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to
>> this account.
>> But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email
>> addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for
>> Jobs.
>> But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
>> jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the
>> HR and Jobs folder with the rules.
>>
>> I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I
>> create the HR contact, it will automatcially change the
>> hr@companyname.com to jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up
>> to Exchange.  But can I get around this?
>>
>> Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much
>> trying to avoid.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the message
> headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
> Outlook.
>
> You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs
> mailbox to it.

0
nospam524 (16)
12/21/2005 4:19:58 PM
By default, Exchange will use the primary SMTP Address as the reply-to
address.  Try one of two things.  Go to the Tools | Options menu when
composing a new message and change the Reply-To field there to whatever email
address you want.  This will make sure replies go to the right address, but
if they really looked at the sender's address, they'd see the primary SMTP
address.

The other thought I had was to go to View | From Field when you're composing
a message.  Then you can type who you want the message to appear to be
from...  but my guess is that if you typed in an alias, it would just resolve
it to the Display Name of the account and end up using the primary SMTP
address anyway...

SOOO, you COULD create a contact or even a mail-enabled distribution group
in AD for each address you want on that mailbox (you'd have to remove the
aliases from the mailbox before you could add them to the groups).  Then you
would select that group as the "From" address.

Many many ways to do things in Exchange.  You could also explore using
Mail-enabled public folders but I highly recommend that you don't go anywhere
near 'em!

"John" wrote:

> Header worked!!!  THANKS!!!!!!
>
> Would I be pushing it to ask how to change the reply address for when they
> reply to these emails? ;)
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> > In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> > John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now
> >> HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as
> >> well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to
> >> this account.
> >> But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email
> >> addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for
> >> Jobs.
> >> But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
> >> jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the
> >> HR and Jobs folder with the rules.
> >>
> >> I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I
> >> create the HR contact, it will automatcially change the
> >> hr@companyname.com to jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up
> >> to Exchange.  But can I get around this?
> >>
> >> Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much
> >> trying to avoid.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the message
> > headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
> > Outlook.
> >
> > You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs
> > mailbox to it.

0
Nathan (89)
12/21/2005 5:09:02 PM
Didn't even see that option 'til now.. embarrassing... thanks I'll try it!!
Thanks!

"Nathan" <Nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> By default, Exchange will use the primary SMTP Address as the reply-to
> address.  Try one of two things.  Go to the Tools | Options menu when
> composing a new message and change the Reply-To field there to whatever
> email
> address you want.  This will make sure replies go to the right address,
> but
> if they really looked at the sender's address, they'd see the primary SMTP
> address.
>
> The other thought I had was to go to View | From Field when you're
> composing
> a message.  Then you can type who you want the message to appear to be
> from...  but my guess is that if you typed in an alias, it would just
> resolve
> it to the Display Name of the account and end up using the primary SMTP
> address anyway...
>
> SOOO, you COULD create a contact or even a mail-enabled distribution group
> in AD for each address you want on that mailbox (you'd have to remove the
> aliases from the mailbox before you could add them to the groups).  Then
> you
> would select that group as the "From" address.
>
> Many many ways to do things in Exchange.  You could also explore using
> Mail-enabled public folders but I highly recommend that you don't go
> anywhere
> near 'em!
>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> Header worked!!!  THANKS!!!!!!
>>
>> Would I be pushing it to ask how to change the reply address for when
>> they
>> reply to these emails? ;)
>>
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >

>> > In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> > John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:

>> > Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the
>> > message
>> > headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
>> > Outlook.
>> >
>> > You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs
>> > mailbox to it.

0
nospam524 (16)

How do I add multiple hotmail and comcast email accounts to Outloo
How do I add multiple hotmail and comcast email accounts to Outlook? Just add them! "Newbie" <Newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDE08E58-A7CA-4DF4-B413-D493824746C5@microsoft.com... > How do I add multiple hotmail and comcast email accounts to Outlook? Add them using Tools, Accounts dialog. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lis...

SMTP server in Outlook
Hi, I use Outlook 2007 in my laptop running Windows XP. When connecting to a wireless network in City 1 in Europe, I can receive and send messages OK. When I change to City 2 or travel to US, I can receive mails and browse the Internet but not tsend mail for some obscure SMTP failure. Config i.n my laptop is the same, ane ven i Have uninstalled my firewall. Only Norton AV 2007 running I have solved this by subscribing to a SMTP service and changing the SMTP server to theirs and port from 25 to 2525. Any idea or link on how to manage this issue ? Thanks Bangali Bangali wrote: > I use ...

telephone no. in invoice address-Post Office does not like
Post Office has commented about the recepient phone number under the city, state ZIP of the invoice address. Apparently this does not conform to Postal Regulations. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/N...

multiple copies of each email
MS Outlook 2003 on xp sp2 machine and dial up connection downloads emails ok but if I ask it to check for new emails a few minutes later it redownloads the last lot so that I end up with multiple copies of each email. This takes some time and bandwidth if I haven't been online for a week or so. Is there a setting in outlook to change to fix this problem? thanks Hi Ven, have a look on this site : "Why does my Outlook keep receiving duplicate messages?" http://www.comentum.com/outlook-issues.html Maybe it helps. -- Oliver Vukovics Share your Outlook PST files without Exchang...

remove Fax from address book?

How to listing e-mail address instad of the name when creating mail.
Is there a way to type in a name (or start to type in an address book entry and have it autocomplete), but then NOT have the person's name in the "To" box or the "CC" box but rather their e-mail address with no name listed? It's a strange request but it does have to do with an online game....and, of course, it's not for me but is for my sister!!!! TIA ...

Reply to Address in Correct
I have Exchange server 2003 with several people assessing it from the internet as a POP3 server. All these people have domain names. They all receive mail at theirname@theirdomain.com with out any problems. They all use Outlook and have their reply to as theirname@theirdomain.com however messages they send all say in the from header theirname@OurServerName.com NOT their domain name. I have their domain name as the primary domain in each persons account. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? ...

Printing on multiple sheets
I doubt there's a way of doing this but if there's a genius out there. I have a sheet with only three rows that is 47 pages long. How do I get it to wrap the rows when printing? Ta -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It might be easier to wrap the rows before printing but i can see how that will make it easier for someone to better understand. >-----Original Message----- >I doubt there's a way of doing this but if there's a genius out there. > >I have a sheet with only three rows that is 47 pages long. > >How do I get it to wrap the rows...

How do you copy the EMAIL address from a field in Outlook 2007
It seem such a bizarre omission from outlook 2007. When you right click on the name in a to/from/cc etc. field and select copy, Then paste into an email or another app it only pastes the name not the email address. I know there is not always a one to one relationship between the name and its addresses. But surely there is some way to do this - (without messing around in contacts lists etc.) Right click it and choose Outlook Properties. If the contact is in your Contacts folder it will open the contact. If it is not, it will open a separate Properties dialog with the info....

Rules
I have updated to Office XP and now I cannot create new rules. I receive an error saying check folder permissions. I do not use Exchange, so I do not have folder permissions. Any Ideas on how to solve? Michael I am having the same problem: I used to receive Exchange server account mail and POP3 accounts mail in my personal folder file. I deleted the Exchange account, and since then I cannot create rules. Somebody please help Zoran Kehler ...

Create a rule to mark message as UNREAD when arrived ?
I am using Outlook 2007, which receives E-mails from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. We are sharing a common E-Mail Box. If before I check my E-Mail, someone else has checked the E-Mails of today and replied, and after that, I logon and check same E-Mails, all E-Mails received by me are received as marked "READ". How can I create a rule so that any E-Mail I receive should be marked as "UNREAD". Best Regards, Luqman You can't as they are received already. You could assign categories for when you've read an item. This way the people you share the mailbox ...

Outlook 2003 Rule to Match Body Text Fails
I'm getting a new class of spam that can't be filtered with a rule that matches text in the email body even though the text exists in the body. Also, Outlook's Simple Find can't match text in the message body. Has anyone else encountered this new type of Spam? Any ideas? (Outlook 2003's builtin Junk Mail filter doesn't catch them either.) Most of these spams includes phrases like "I just heard" or "I wanted to tell you" or "My name is John", and include links to the certain WEb sites: http://getitrightnowwholesale.com or http://u...

multiple columns in Multipik
Is it possible to display more than one column in the lstAvailable combo box? if so how? Any help would be appreciated. thanks. Gnädige Frau: I don't know what the lstAvailable control is but you can include multiple columns in the drop down list of a combo box or in a list box. If the RowSource is a query return the columns in question and set the combo box's ColumnCount property to the number of columns and its ColumnWidths property to the dimensions you want for each column, e.g. you might have a RowSource property of: SELECT CustomerID, Customer, City FROM Customer...

Exchange 2003 in AD with Multiple Sites
This is more of a comment... I am a little bit disappointed in this... DSACESS... You have one exchange server in a domain. Your AD have multiple SITES configured for WAN offices. All WAN Offices log into your domain. Exchange only auto generates the DSACCESS Topology for the site that Exchange is IN! What does that mean? That means if you're in WAN office and you have a GC in that office configured with a SITE in AD so that you can log into your GC, when you launch Outlook to connect to the Exchange server in another site, you will be connecting to the GC in the same site as your Ex...

synchronize folders between multiple computers
Hi there I leave copies of my incoming messages on the POP3 server for 10 days so that Outlook downloads incoming mail to both of my home-networked machines. I'd like to synchronize between the two machines too (particularly Sent Items, since I send mail from both machines). Is the article KB205229 "OL2000: (IMO) Managing a PST for Two Different Computers" the final word on the subject? -- The procedure outlined in that article is a bit clunky. Best regards Loane (I forgot to mention I'm running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro) Loane Sharp <look_sharp@hotmail...

multiple criteria
I am trying to create queries to sort church membership data according to any number of ministry groups (out of a possible 56) they volunteer for. My goal is to create a report for each of the Ministry's with name and contact information. I have some questions with corresponding database description information that will hopefully enable an expert to point me in the right direction... Questions: (1) I am at the query step and am looking for a way to link up the ministry with the corresponding FName. I have entered a ministry name in the criteria cells (e.g., "Choir") for all 28 c...

Edit Data
Hi, I have a set of data and I want to multiply each cell by 1000 s want to add *1000 in about 30-40 cells together. is there any way to d it quickly rather than going into each cell manually and enterin *1000 Thank you :confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following - enter 1000 in an empty cell - select and copy the cell (CTRL+C) - select your data range - goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Multiply' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi, I have a set of data and I want to multiply each cell by 1000 so > want to add *...

Sending Multiple E-mails Attachments
When I send email with an attachment I get the following error: Task 'Larry - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' What is actually happening is Outlook keeps trying to re-send the message over and over, the email address I am sending to will actually receive the email intact every time Outlook tries to re-send the email. A long shot would be to increase the timeout for that ...

Sharing address book and contacts.
When I had Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express (OE) I am sure I was able to share OEs address book and Outlooks contacts. For various reasons I use OE as my email client and Outlook for other tasks. So when I replied to an email in OE I thought that the email address along with a few other bits of info ended up in Outlook's contacts. Is that correct and does it apply to Outlook 2003 and OE? Or am I imagining things (again)!!! Only the old IMO mode of Outlook did this and it was because IMO used the Windows Address Book engine, not the Outlook address book. You can use a reg hack to f...

Vlookup on multiple table array
there is a summary source, i have 6 different sources. i want to lookup from the summary source whether the 6 different sources exist in the summary? may i know how to lookup multiple table arrays? thx. I'd just use 6 different cells and use a formula that points at the 6 different sources. There is no =vlookup() trick to look through multiple lookup tables. Winson wrote: > > there is a summary source, i have 6 different sources. i want to lookup from > the summary source whether the 6 different sources exist in the summary? may > i know how to lookup multiple table array...

Very many queues (SMTP Connectors)????
I have just moved my mailboxes from an Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 over the weekend. Today when i was looking at the queues of my exchange 2003 server I saw over 100 SMTP connectors to many different domains. A few of the domains I know are junk and I froze them, but what is going on here Do i need these or are these legitimate connectors Also in exchange 5.5 there was a tool to search email messages sent to and from people's mailboxes (message tracker). Where do I do this in exchage 2003? Each time a message is sent outbound to the Internet a queue is created with the name of the ...

Exchnage 2007
I'm working right now on planning my new Exchange 2007 environment in which I will need to have multiple email domains which are hosted, access being from remote clients on OWA, RPC over HTTP via Outlook and ActiveSync smart phone connections. I'm not finding much information about setting up Exchange 2007 to host multiple email domains, I have this all working in Exchange 2003, multiple recipient policies etc. Has anyone spent any time on getting this working in Exchange 2007 yet? I will not be upgrading my 2003 Environment, I'm building a completely new environment that will be...

Exchange 2003 and Smart Host IP Addresses
If I enter two smart host IP addresses as described in this article -- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821911&Product=exch2003; ie: "[192.168.0.1];[192.168.0.2]" How does it determine which smart host to forward mail to? Does it load balance between the two? And if I don't want to load balance but rather a failover (use the second only if the first fails), I'd go with something like "[192.168.0.1]; smarthost2.domain.com"; since putting the IP before the FQDN doesn't load balance? Thanks. Calvin, It really depends on how your en...

How do I display multiple milestones on one line
I have a repetitive milestone of a report every month for a 2 year project. I want to display them on one line in Project rather than have to enter 24 lines. The purpose of Project is to compute a schedule. It sounds like you have 24 independent tasks of zero duration (milestones) and your purpose of using Project is to just display them? They are 24 different items of the same "type", but different none the less. Thus they need to be shown 24 times if you chose to show them. If your purpose is simply to display them, then perhaps use a different tool? You eas...

replying to multiple contacts in CRM 3.0
When replying to an email within CRM IE interface, it is very difficult to delete one of the recepients. It deletes them all. Right-click is disabled. Is there a solution to it? ...