Multiple SMTP addresses & rules

Hi,

I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now HR
wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as well. I was
hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to this account.

But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email addressed to
HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for Jobs.

But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the HR and
Jobs folder with the rules.

I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I create the
HR contact, it will automatcially change the hr@companyname.com to
jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up to Exchange.  But can I get
around this?

Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much trying
to avoid.

Thanks

0
nospam524 (16)

Normally Outlook will base a rule off the Exchange alias and not the SMTP
address.  Also, since it technically has both the jobs and HR assigned as
valid addresses it will not differentiate between the two since the alias is
the same for the exchange account.  Basically unless I am totally wrong you
will have to create a second HR account and mailbox for your rules to work as
you wish.

"John" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now HR
> wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as well. I was
> hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to this account.
>
> But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email addressed to
> HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for Jobs.
>
> But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
> jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the HR and
> Jobs folder with the rules.
>
> I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I create the
> HR contact, it will automatcially change the hr@companyname.com to
> jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up to Exchange.  But can I get
> around this?
>
> Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much trying
> to avoid.
>
> Thanks

0
Transam388 (53)
12/21/2005 3:09:04 PM

In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:
> Hi,
>
> I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now
> HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as
> well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to
> this account.
> But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email
> addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for
> Jobs.
> But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
> jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the
> HR and Jobs folder with the rules.
>
> I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I
> create the HR contact, it will automatcially change the
> hr@companyname.com to jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up
> to Exchange.  But can I get around this?
>
> Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much
> trying to avoid.
>
> Thanks

Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the message
headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
Outlook.

You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs mailbox
to it.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/21/2005 3:09:59 PM
I've done the same thing you're trying to do.  The method Lanwench suggests
works great.  Don't setup your rule to look at who the message was sent to,
but instead, tell it look for "jobs@companyname.com" in the message header
(and another rule to do the same for the HR address).  Make sure that when
you save these rules that they are not client-side rules as they will only
process when Outlook is open.  You shouldn't have a problem with this though
unless you are trying to redirect the message into a PST file or something.
Good luck!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now
> > HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as
> > well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to
> > this account.
> > But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email
> > addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for
> > Jobs.
> > But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
> > jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the
> > HR and Jobs folder with the rules.
> >
> > I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I
> > create the HR contact, it will automatcially change the
> > hr@companyname.com to jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up
> > to Exchange.  But can I get around this?
> >
> > Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much
> > trying to avoid.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the message
> headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
> Outlook.
>
> You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs mailbox
> to it.

0
Nathan (89)
12/21/2005 4:00:03 PM
Header worked!!!  THANKS!!!!!!

Would I be pushing it to ask how to change the reply address for when they
reply to these emails? ;)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now
>> HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as
>> well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to
>> this account.
>> But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email
>> addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for
>> Jobs.
>> But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
>> jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the
>> HR and Jobs folder with the rules.
>>
>> I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I
>> create the HR contact, it will automatcially change the
>> hr@companyname.com to jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up
>> to Exchange.  But can I get around this?
>>
>> Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much
>> trying to avoid.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the message
> headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
> Outlook.
>
> You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs
> mailbox to it.

0
nospam524 (16)
12/21/2005 4:19:58 PM
By default, Exchange will use the primary SMTP Address as the reply-to
address.  Try one of two things.  Go to the Tools | Options menu when
composing a new message and change the Reply-To field there to whatever email
address you want.  This will make sure replies go to the right address, but
if they really looked at the sender's address, they'd see the primary SMTP
address.

The other thought I had was to go to View | From Field when you're composing
a message.  Then you can type who you want the message to appear to be
from...  but my guess is that if you typed in an alias, it would just resolve
it to the Display Name of the account and end up using the primary SMTP
address anyway...

SOOO, you COULD create a contact or even a mail-enabled distribution group
in AD for each address you want on that mailbox (you'd have to remove the
aliases from the mailbox before you could add them to the groups).  Then you
would select that group as the "From" address.

Many many ways to do things in Exchange.  You could also explore using
Mail-enabled public folders but I highly recommend that you don't go anywhere
near 'em!

"John" wrote:

> Header worked!!!  THANKS!!!!!!
>
> Would I be pushing it to ask how to change the reply address for when they
> reply to these emails? ;)
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> > In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> > John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have an account that has our jobs@companyname.com SMTP address. Now
> >> HR wants to add an HR@companyname.com address to our environment as
> >> well. I was hoping to just add this as a secondary address in ADUC to
> >> this account.
> >> But then I want to have an Outlook rule that can take an email
> >> addressed to HR and through it in an HR folder, and same setup for
> >> Jobs.
> >> But what's happening is the email system sees this account as
> >> jobs@companyname.com for all messages and will throw it in both the
> >> HR and Jobs folder with the rules.
> >>
> >> I've tried to create a "contact" for each separately, but when I
> >> create the HR contact, it will automatcially change the
> >> hr@companyname.com to jobs@companyname.com (obviously matching it up
> >> to Exchange.  But can I get around this?
> >>
> >> Or just cut my losses and create a new AD account which I'm very much
> >> trying to avoid.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the message
> > headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
> > Outlook.
> >
> > You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs
> > mailbox to it.

0
Nathan (89)
12/21/2005 5:09:02 PM
Didn't even see that option 'til now.. embarrassing... thanks I'll try it!!
Thanks!

"Nathan" <Nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> By default, Exchange will use the primary SMTP Address as the reply-to
> address.  Try one of two things.  Go to the Tools | Options menu when
> composing a new message and change the Reply-To field there to whatever
> email
> address you want.  This will make sure replies go to the right address,
> but
> if they really looked at the sender's address, they'd see the primary SMTP
> address.
>
> The other thought I had was to go to View | From Field when you're
> composing
> a message.  Then you can type who you want the message to appear to be
> from...  but my guess is that if you typed in an alias, it would just
> resolve
> it to the Display Name of the account and end up using the primary SMTP
> address anyway...
>
> SOOO, you COULD create a contact or even a mail-enabled distribution group
> in AD for each address you want on that mailbox (you'd have to remove the
> aliases from the mailbox before you could add them to the groups).  Then
> you
> would select that group as the "From" address.
>
> Many many ways to do things in Exchange.  You could also explore using
> Mail-enabled public folders but I highly recommend that you don't go
> anywhere
> near 'em!
>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> Header worked!!!  THANKS!!!!!!
>>
>> Would I be pushing it to ask how to change the reply address for when
>> they
>> reply to these emails? ;)
>>
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >

>> > In news:uWsVv1jBGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> > John <noSPAM@please.net> typed:

>> > Your Outlook rule should be able to look for jobs@ and hr@ in the
>> > message
>> > headers and act on that, I'd think. This may depend on your version of
>> > Outlook.
>> >
>> > You could also create a distribution group for hr@ and add the jobs
>> > mailbox to it.

0
nospam524 (16)

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Create a list with multiple criteria

Charting multiple multiples

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

masquerade address
Hi, Exchange 5.5, anyway to set up a mailbox that will not reveal an internal "Reply To" address? i.e. A user will be able to "Send As" or "On Behalf Of" that mailbox, but external replies to it will generate NDRs. TIA brandon ...

Sending to multiple addresses

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

multiple selection

CDO call to SMTP
I need to create a SMTP connection from a webserver to my E2K server. One of the programmer has created a CDO that calls on the SMTP. I need it to be able to send mail only. Where do I start looking into steps to get this done. Internal email can usually be pointed at the "mailhost". This will usually resolve back to your email system. There is probably no need to have a direct link between systems. "manoa" wrote: > I need to create a SMTP connection from a webserver to my E2K server. One of > the programmer has created a CDO that calls on the SMTP. I ne...

Multiple domains #6

Combine multiple tables into one

Additional email addresses #2
Hi all, I'm really new to Exchange and i havce given a user 2 smtp email addresses. However in the contacts section of outlook under email addresses the user still only has the one. I've followed the manual but not sure if i have missed anything. Help... Is Outlook in cached mode? Four things have to happen--and in this order--before recipients show up in the GAL in Outlook 2003 with cached mode: 1. The object or change must replicate to the domain controller the RUS uses. 2. The RUS must run and stamp the user with Exchange attributes. 3. The offline address book must be ge...

SMTP domain name
Hello. I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a windows 2000 machine and a windows 2000 native domain. Problem I am having is complaints from people regarding the smtp domain name. Our Public domain name and our AD domain name are different. Helo response from the server returns the AD domain name and not the public domain name. This is causing messages to be rejected by some SPAM filters. Has anybody had this problem? Thanks Yes I have battled long and hard with this problem. First thing to check is Exchange System Manager, "Default SMTP Virtual Server" look in advanced propertie...

Recurring email contact address
I used to be in contact with a Lawyer, I decided to stop contacting this lawyer after receiving misleading advice. Since then, every email I receive this Lawyer's email address id attached on the end by Demon-Mailer. It is embarrassing as I often reply to an email, and this lawyer's/Demon Mailer's garbage data is still attached to the outgoing email. Can someone contact me personally, otherwise it may mean that I must Change my Email Address completely?<scottieyoung@gmail.com> Scottie Young -- ______________________________________ Posted from http://o...

Finding Data in multiple worksheets
Using Excel 2000, how can I find data in multiple worksheets; example: any number between 200 & 299 in 32 worksheets? If you mean you want to find a single number across 32 worksheets, group your worksheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent (or even shift-click)). Then Edit|Find But I think I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ If you meant you wanted to find all 100 numbers (200-299) in all 32 sheets, then I think I'd have a macro search for each number and report the results on a new worksheet. "mark@southwestconst.com&quo...

Managing address lists
What is "best practice" for setting up an address list, which some dedicated users should be able to edit (eg add/change/remove contacts/e-mail adr) with Outlook. The address list should be viewable for the whole org. I'm running Exch 2003 and Outlook 2003. I've created an new address list, and filtered it, changed properties, etc (System Manager). The list is viewable, but im not able to edit it, even thoug i have the rigts. -- Oddis Hi So you want user to be able to modify the membership of distribution lists? You need to populate the "Managed By" field for...

show multiple values that add to total in bar graph
Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I want a sigle bar that goes to 703 but breaks the single bar down into these segments (preferrably by color showing the smaller segment amounts within the color. HELP!!!! Thanks! Hi, Is that not what the stacked column chart does? Cheers Andy Green Goose 89 wrote: > Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that > add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I > want...

IIF / OR
I want the OnPrint of a report to check three fields and run code if any ONE of the conditions is met: Iif ([MyTextOne]=1 OR [MyTextTwo]=2 OR [MyTextThree]=3) Then RunSomeCode Else RunOtherCode I thought of using Select Case and calling procedures as each condition is met: Select Case Me![MyTextOne] Case is = 1 Call Check2 Case else Stop End Select Check2 () Select Case Me![MyTextTwo] Case is = 2 Call Check3 Case else Stop End select Check3 () and so on......... It will work, but gets a bit too long as the test conditions increase. It gets just as long with nested select case or nest...

Localization with multiple string tables
The application has two string tables one for English and the other for Japanese. The IDs and Values are the same but only the captions are different. It seems that CString::LoadString does not load from the correct string table when i choose japanese from my regional settings on the control panel instead it loads english all the time. Is there any settings or configuration that i missed? Need ur help gurus >The application has two string tables one for English and the other >for Japanese. The IDs and Values are the same but only the captions >are different. It seems that CString::L...