Multiple domains #6

Hi,

Having done some research I have found that it is possible to send and
receive email from multiple domains with Exchange 2003.

I have a few questions that I would like cleared up if anyone can help.

1. Is it really as simple as configuring a recipient policy for the new
domain and then changing the mail record for that domain to point to
the proper IP address?

2. If I set up a new account in AD, and need this account to be
associated with the second email domain, will the default SMTP email be
for the first domain? If so, can I just edit this directly?

3. If I set the default SMTP address to be for the second domain will
sent messages from this account appear to be from the correct domain?

4. How does OWA work into all this? Will it work?

Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary.

0
gdf1903 (40)

Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange
www.zenprise.com
NEW blog location:
www.exchangepedia.com/blog

<gdf1903@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Having done some research I have found that it is possible to send and
> receive email from multiple domains with Exchange 2003.
>
> I have a few questions that I would like cleared up if anyone can help.
>
> 1. Is it really as simple as configuring a recipient policy for the new
> domain and then changing the mail record for that domain to point to
> the proper IP address?

Yes indeed. MX records direct inbound email for a particular domain to your
server. Recipient Policies tell Exchange it should receive email for a
domain and generate email addresses.

> 2. If I set up a new account in AD, and need this account to be
> associated with the second email domain, will the default SMTP email be
> for the first domain? If so, can I just edit this directly?

Correct, Recipient Policy will set the default domain - depending on which
domain you selected as default in a Recipient Policy and which Recipient
Policy applies to a user (in case of multiple Recipient Policies). You can
edit this manually in AD Users & Computers | recipient properties | E-mail
Addresses tab - uncheck "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on
recipient policy". Default SMTP addresses start with an uppercase SMTP.

> 3. If I set the default SMTP address to be for the second domain will
> sent messages from this account appear to be from the correct domain?

All messages sent using Microsoft Outlook, OWA, and ActiveSync will be sent
using the default email address of the sender. When you receive a message of
an alternate address (an address that's not your default email address),
when you reply to the message it is sent using your default email address.

> 4. How does OWA work into all this? Will it work?
Yes, see response to the previous question.

> Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.
>
> Gary.

0
bharat3597 (1006)
1/10/2007 10:28:08 AM
Hi,
Not wanting to hijack this thread - but have some experience I would like
comment on if possible.

Having multiple inbound addresses is fine until you want to reply from your
alternate addresses. The only way I have found (and this is with outlook
rather than OE or anything else) is to set up a distribution list that has
your alternate email address set up as its default. This list has one member
and has the option to allow 'send as' to your member. The idea being is
inbound is sent to the distribution list - which is in turn set up to
forward to its 'member'. Then when you want to send as your alternate
address you select to send from the 'group'. A bit of a ball ache if you
have lots of email addresses that you want to be able to send as. - Any
suggestions?

Another issue I have come across, is when you remove an old email domain
from your recipient policy - exchange still does not think that it needs to
send email externally if you then try to send a message to someone.
e.g.. if you add a @temp.com address space. Use it as normal for a while,
then remove the @temp.com - any email sent to anyone at @temp.com after its
removal never gets sent out of your system. Its as though it shouldn't
leave. - Anything I'm doing wrong?

Cheers
Wayne.

"Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharat@nospam.org> wrote in message

> Bharat Suneja
> MVP - Exchange
> www.zenprise.com
> NEW blog location:
> www.exchangepedia.com/blog
>

> <gdf1903@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Having done some research I have found that it is possible to send and
>> receive email from multiple domains with Exchange 2003.
>>
>> I have a few questions that I would like cleared up if anyone can help.
>>
>> 1. Is it really as simple as configuring a recipient policy for the new
>> domain and then changing the mail record for that domain to point to
>> the proper IP address?
>
> Yes indeed. MX records direct inbound email for a particular domain to
> your server. Recipient Policies tell Exchange it should receive email for
> a domain and generate email addresses.
>

>> 2. If I set up a new account in AD, and need this account to be
>> associated with the second email domain, will the default SMTP email be
>> for the first domain? If so, can I just edit this directly?
>
> Correct, Recipient Policy will set the default domain - depending on which
> domain you selected as default in a Recipient Policy and which Recipient
> Policy applies to a user (in case of multiple Recipient Policies). You can
> edit this manually in AD Users & Computers | recipient properties | E-mail
> Addresses tab - uncheck "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on
> recipient policy". Default SMTP addresses start with an uppercase SMTP.
>

>> 3. If I set the default SMTP address to be for the second domain will
>> sent messages from this account appear to be from the correct domain?
>
> All messages sent using Microsoft Outlook, OWA, and ActiveSync will be
> sent using the default email address of the sender. When you receive a
> message of an alternate address (an address that's not your default email
> address), when you reply to the message it is sent using your default
> email address.
>

>> 4. How does OWA work into all this? Will it work?
> Yes, see response to the previous question.
>

>> Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Gary.

0
Wayne
1/10/2007 1:46:35 PM
Hi Wayne,

There's a third party tool (forget the name at the minute) that lets you
select which address you want to send with.

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
1/10/2007 2:00:44 PM
Ivasoft ChooseFrom.
http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.shtml

Alternatively, use a SMTP client (e.g. Outlook Express) to send the message,
or set a separate mailbox and allow SendAs permission.

Allowing sending messages using other proxy addresses has forever been on
the wishlist.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Wayne,
>
> There's a third party tool (forget the name at the minute) that lets you
> select which address you want to send with.
>
> Oliver

0
bharat3597 (1006)
1/10/2007 3:35:33 PM
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:35:33 -0800, "Bharat Suneja [MVP]"
<bharat@nospam.org> wrote:

>Ivasoft ChooseFrom.
>http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.shtml
>
>Alternatively, use a SMTP client (e.g. Outlook Express) to send the message,
>or set a separate mailbox and allow SendAs permission.
>
>Allowing sending messages using other proxy addresses has forever been on
>the wishlist.

And its  more an Outlook issue than Exchange.
0
adavid (8731)

Create a list with multiple criteria

Removing multiple hyperlinks

Charting multiple multiples

distributing data into multiple cells

Single click selects multiple cells

Visual C++ 6.0 And OpenGL
Hey ! Usualy you can see all available instructions if you press CTRL + SPACE ( SHIFT + SPACE for Argiment list ) I can't see any OpenGL instructions, but I can use them. I have included "gl.h" and "glu.h" in "StdAfx.h" but still can't see any glXXX commands. What am I missing? Thanks, Damjan That's the way it is. Library functions don't appear in the list. "Damjan Venguļæ½t" <damjan.vengust@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message news:fl7Tb.3722$%x4.389472@news.siol.net... > Hey ! > > Usualy you can see all available i...

Groupwise 6 to Exchange 2003 migration
I am currently testing the migration of email from GW6 to E2K3 (SP2). So far, the Migration Wizard still appears to be the best way. However, is there any known method for programatically adding the migration user as a proxy account on the GW side? I have 2400 accounts to migrate, and a majority of those users won't be accessing their mailbox until after the migration is supposed to take place. Any input or advice? Yes go with the Quest toolset. It is provides a more robust tool than the migration wizard and you'll have enough on your hands dealing with the Notes Connector in ...

Gift Certificates #6
Is there anyway to get a list or report of all outstanding gift certificates for a certain time frame. Thanks Hi Justin, Yes there is if you have them set up as vouchers. In SO Manager, run the voucher report. Under Reports | Miscellaneous | Voucher - Summary Thanks. "Justin" wrote: > Is there anyway to get a list or report of all outstanding gift certificates > for a certain time frame. Thanks If you enter the manager portion of RMS and go to Reports and then Miscellaneous you should see a voucher section. You can control the tiem frame by entering the date v...

CRM and Exchange in different domains
Is there a way for a CRM 3.0 server to intergrate with an Exchange server in another domain? ...

Extract domain names out of URLs
Hi, I have a list of URLs and I would like to find a way to extract the domain name from the URL. The URLs can be prefixed with www in some cases and I'd also like to strip that off. So, for the following URLs http://www.wiseclerk.com/group-news/tag/libor http://www.wiseclerk.com/group-news/2008/04/ http://www.wiseclerk.com/group-news/ http://www.tiscali.co.uk/search/results.php?section=&from=&query=setana sports http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080408/223932792.shtml http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080408/223932792.shtml http://www.techdirt.com/ http://www.techdirt.com/ htt...

Sending to multiple addresses

multiple selection

Exchange 2000 Distribution Lists

SMTP domain name
Hello. I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a windows 2000 machine and a windows 2000 native domain. Problem I am having is complaints from people regarding the smtp domain name. Our Public domain name and our AD domain name are different. Helo response from the server returns the AD domain name and not the public domain name. This is causing messages to be rejected by some SPAM filters. Has anybody had this problem? Thanks Yes I have battled long and hard with this problem. First thing to check is Exchange System Manager, "Default SMTP Virtual Server" look in advanced propertie...

Combine multiple tables into one

Multiple domains #6

mail want be delivered for the 2nd domain
we have registered another domain made an MX record added @domain.com in defaul policy now i can get mail only for alex@domain.com, but not alex.surename@domain.com what should i do? Add or modify email address format in Recipient Policy. %g.%s@domain.com http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822447 -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "guzzi" <guzzi@_DOT_yandex.ru> wrote in message news:OYTtu%238NGHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > we have registered another domain > made an MX record > a...

Finding Data in multiple worksheets
Using Excel 2000, how can I find data in multiple worksheets; example: any number between 200 & 299 in 32 worksheets? If you mean you want to find a single number across 32 worksheets, group your worksheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent (or even shift-click)). Then Edit|Find But I think I'd use Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ If you meant you wanted to find all 100 numbers (200-299) in all 32 sheets, then I think I'd have a macro search for each number and report the results on a new worksheet. "mark@southwestconst.com&quo...

Joining the domain; keep the calendar.
Sharing a calendar to exchange server this local computer has an outlook (pst) file that houses lots of contact & calendar data. I launch the mail applet in the control panel and add the exchange server -- no problem. However, I can't (there isn't the option) share the calendar. If I create a new user on the machine, and use the exchange server, I can share the new calendar. How can I get the exchange server to "see" the original calendar & share it? Thank you. --- AntiSpam/harvest --- Remove X's to send email to me. You can't share a folder that...

show multiple values that add to total in bar graph
Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I want a sigle bar that goes to 703 but breaks the single bar down into these segments (preferrably by color showing the smaller segment amounts within the color. HELP!!!! Thanks! Hi, Is that not what the stacked column chart does? Cheers Andy Green Goose 89 wrote: > Is there a way to show multiple values in a single bar (in a bar graph) that > add up to a total (example: 127, 129, 87, 85, 60, 126, 89 add up to 703)? I > want...