Moving from static distrbuation lists to dynamic

We will be moving from static lists to dynamic lists in the coming months.
INFO:
I have about 500 exchange enabled boxes.
I have one domain with a WAN
It is for a school of from ages 1 - 12 with 13 schools and 1 district office.

Currently little info is posted in active directory to tell all users about.
We have OU for admin, teacher, student in each school.

I still do not have all the info gathered about what static lists are out
their.  I just took the job.  But we have an alldomain list, allschoolteacher
lists, and many others.

I see that you can use the custom atribuate in AD to base the query one.
So I could use
AllTeachers --> set a field to teacher/admin/support ect.
AllGrade4   --> is grade = 4

This will work great however short of entering all this manually in AD
is their away I can explore all mail box enabled user (export in exchange
that fine)
and then script it to go throught ect account well I define these custom
fields.

and write this info back to AD.

IE
Michael.Gates
title: teacher
grade: 10
subject: Math
ect

I know this is a huge question
thanks for any help

Michael
0
Michael5492 (655)

Whilst I would not go mad with Query Based Distribution Lists (QBDL),
i.e. you don't need to make a QDBL for all teachers or anything else
that isn't very dynamic, you can certainly use QBDL quite easily.
As for getting the information into AD the biggest thing is getting
the template out.
So, ADSIEDIT is your friend to get the attributes you need to appear
in the export and then
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/CSVDE_LDIFDE.htm is your
friend to get the information out, update it and then import it.
0
mark7219 (5666)
12/10/2006 9:24:59 AM
"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote:

>Whilst I would not go mad with Query Based Distribution Lists (QBDL),
>i.e. you don't need to make a QDBL for all teachers or anything else
>that isn't very dynamic, you can certainly use QBDL quite easily.
>As for getting the information into AD the biggest thing is getting
>the template out.
>So, ADSIEDIT is your friend to get the attributes you need to appear
>in the export and then
>http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/CSVDE_LDIFDE.htm is your
>friend to get the information out, update it and then import it.

Keeping in mind that while CSVE works fine for dumping data from the
AD you can't use it to modify anything in the AD. So whatever you're
doing, be prepared to either work with LDIFDE or to convert the CACDE
output to LDIF format to make those modifications.

While this seems a simple task, remember that the AD holds information
in UTF8 format and if you have, for example, accented characters in
names (not an uncommon thing) you'll be dealing with information in
base64 encoded format, possibly spread over several lines in the file.

He's really got the same chore ahead of him as a SQL database admin,
but with fewer tools. Better, I think, to either write, or buy, what
you need.

Changing things like grade numbers (from 1 to 2) doesn't seem like
it's a problem, but if you don't start with the highest grade and mark
them as "graduated", and then start changing all the
next-to-the-highest grade to the highest grade you make a horrible
mess. And what about those that /don't/ progress to the next grade?
You can't simply make mass changes without considering all the
variables (like what if a teacher is also a part-time administrator?)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Manually adding each user to 4 different exchagne groups.
Thanks for the info

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >Whilst I would not go mad with Query Based Distribution Lists (QBDL),
> >i.e. you don't need to make a QDBL for all teachers or anything else
> >that isn't very dynamic, you can certainly use QBDL quite easily.
> >As for getting the information into AD the biggest thing is getting
> >the template out.
> >So, ADSIEDIT is your friend to get the attributes you need to appear
> >in the export and then
> >http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/CSVDE_LDIFDE.htm is your
> >friend to get the information out, update it and then import it.
>
> Keeping in mind that while CSVE works fine for dumping data from the
> AD you can't use it to modify anything in the AD. So whatever you're
> doing, be prepared to either work with LDIFDE or to convert the CACDE
> output to LDIF format to make those modifications.
>
> While this seems a simple task, remember that the AD holds information
> in UTF8 format and if you have, for example, accented characters in
> names (not an uncommon thing) you'll be dealing with information in
> base64 encoded format, possibly spread over several lines in the file.
>
> He's really got the same chore ahead of him as a SQL database admin,
> but with fewer tools. Better, I think, to either write, or buy, what
> you need.
>
> Changing things like grade numbers (from 1 to 2) doesn't seem like
> it's a problem, but if you don't start with the highest grade and mark
> them as "graduated", and then start changing all the
> next-to-the-highest grade to the highest grade you make a horrible
> mess. And what about those that /don't/ progress to the next grade?
> You can't simply make mass changes without considering all the
> variables (like what if a teacher is also a part-time administrator?)
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
Michael5492 (655)

Moving license to a new computer

Printing a list of contacts sorted into a category
I've sorted some of my contacts into a list for Xmas cards. I now want to print the list out with names addresses etc. But I can't find any way to print (or even export) a category list. Is there any way to do this? Dave, thanks. I tried that however, but it prints out the individual contact details rather than the list. Thats 150 odd contacts. I ahd to curtail the print. Is there no way of printing the list? Regards "Dave" wrote: > Printing in WLM is pretty primitive. > > You can click on a Category, then select all the recipients (Ctrl-A),...

dynamic Disclaimer
Hello NG, i�ve the following problem: add a disclaimers to all outgoing mails as in KB317680 described works well. but I want do add a dynamic disclaimer. when the script runs the variable HTMLDisclaimer should be set by an sql-query. the following query works in an .asp site, but not in the sript... --- Code Start --- <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript"> Sub ISMTPOnArrival_OnArrival(ByVal Msg, EventStatus) set Myconn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") Myconn.Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" Myconn.Open "d:/scripts/banner.mdb" SQL_query = &qu...

Safe to Move?

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Moving Pages between two publications

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Counting unique cells (with text) in a filtered list
Hi Is there a simple way to count unique text values in the 'header" of a column where the adjoining column has had the filter switched on? Example A Home B Car B Home C Home C Home D Car If filtered on Home in the second column, should show 3 (ie A,B and C). Thanks in advance Try this array formula** : =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A2:A7,ROW(A2:A7)-ROW(A2),0,1)),MATCH(A2:A7,A2:A7,0)),ROW(A2:A7)-ROW(A2)+1)>0,1)) ** array formulas need to be entered using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key ...

list workbook names except one
Hi all, below macro list all the workbook names in column "A" which exists in a folder. What code line i should add in below macro that if there is any worbook exists with the name "Closed.xls" in the folder then it should not be listed with the other workbooks names. Please can any friend can help Sub Chk() fldrnm = Sheets("INFO").TextBox3.Value fName = Dir(fldrnm & "*.xlsm") Do While fName <> "" c = c + 1 Cells(c, 1) = fName fName = Dir() Loop End Sub Replace this line of code... Cells(c, 1) = fName with thi...

list box on report
I have a report where the data i want to have the name of the person to be selected on the report rather than go record by record to search his name. Is there a way a combo box can do the selection of the name on the report. "Arain" <Arain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A6C9CCF-1391-4D3A-BAE8-829B8A62EDAF@microsoft.com... > I have a report where the data i want to have the name of the person to be > selected on the report rather than go record by record to search his name. > Is > there a way a combo box can do the selection of the name on the...

Moving Folder error

Moving between worksheets

Default Contact list when sending email
Hi, When I send emails and I select NEW and then select TO.. the list defaults to my global address list. I need it to default to CONTACTS......... can this be done? Yes. Can you specify your Outlook version so we can tell you how? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "SamMJlo" <SamMJlo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:669A47A8-D5FA-44BC-AEC5-51450CDA8F22@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > When I send emails and I select NEW and then select TO.. the list defaults > to my global address list. > > I need it to default to CONTACTS......... > > can...

static lib
I developed static mfc lib library.I want to create solution that this library can be used only in specific project.Ho to do it?How to keep that this library linked only with projects which I can perimit? I am not aware of any mechanism other than setting file protections so only users to whom you grant the right to use this library can use it. This of course only works within a single domain, or across trusted domains. But if you are trying to distribute a library, there is no effective way to prevent anyone using it for any purpose they want to. If someone suggests that you require a ...

Moving Cache
I have started a new computer with Vista Ultimate. I have outlook 2003 up and running and have copied my PST file from my old Windows XP Pro computer. I did have a lot of cached addresses which were not in my contacts. I copied the .NK2 files from the XP to the Vista computer, replacing the currect *.NK2 files in the roaming folder. The address do not appear when I try to address a new email. Am I missing something? Regards. Bob Is your profile name the same on the Vista Machine? Where did you put = the file? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ...

MRP V10 Move In and Move Out
Service Pack 1, has anyone seen any issues with the Move in and Move out not working for 'make' items when MRP regenerates? I seem to be able to create a situation, where if I change the MO Due date or change the Sales Order In House Date, (change one OR the other so they dont align with each other) MRP will suggest a new MO instead of moving the existing. MRP is suggesting MO's with no demand. For example: MO Due Date 07/1/2008 Sales Order In House Date 07/03/2008 If I change the Sales Order In House date to 06/27/2008 (and leave the MO alone) MRP will suggest a ne...

Pick from list
I have a form called Shop Work Order with two tab controls, the first tab has two subforms on it called Labour & Parts. On the second tab I want to associate a service request with the shop work order, the service requested is entered into a seperate table. I am needing to select certain service requests from the query I have created from the service request table. I am needing to link the shop work order ID to the service request also. Is this possible? If this is not clear enough I can try and explain better if need be. ...