Moving from a single E2k3 server to a FE/BE E2k3 environment

I have a single server that is currently doing OWA with forms
authenication and RPC over HTTPS. I would like to take away those
frontend functions to a dedicated server. I have the new server setup
and marked it as a frontend server in the Exchange server settings.
What do I need to disable on the backend so the new frontend will
function correctly. Without disabling anything on the backend, when I
go to OWA on the frontend server it redirects me to the backend's OWA.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

0
willie44 (8)

On 10 Oct 2006 09:46:21 -0700, willie44@gmail.com wrote:

>I have a single server that is currently doing OWA with forms
>authenication and RPC over HTTPS. I would like to take away those
>frontend functions to a dedicated server. I have the new server setup
>and marked it as a frontend server in the Exchange server settings.
>What do I need to disable on the backend so the new frontend will
>function correctly. Without disabling anything on the backend, when I
>go to OWA on the frontend server it redirects me to the backend's OWA.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>thanks

Go to www.microsoft.com/exchange/library and see the guide and
instructions.
In essence you need to disable the FBA and the SSL on the BE. Then you
need to tick the FE as an FE (See on the properties of the server in
ESM) Then make it a RPC/HTTPS FE by, again, ticking the box. Then go
to the BE and, indeed again, tick the RPC BE on the RPC/HTTPS tab.

SSL only on the FE, Integrated Auth in the IIS on the BE.

There isn't a lot to it, really. It's mainly ticking boxes (once you
have put the certificate on the FE from the BE) I will assume you
don't need instructions on how to export a cert (There's a wizard)
0
mark7219 (5666)
10/10/2006 5:01:27 PM
Mark Arnold [MVP] wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2006 09:46:21 -0700, willie44@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >I have a single server that is currently doing OWA with forms
> >authenication and RPC over HTTPS. I would like to take away those
> >frontend functions to a dedicated server. I have the new server setup
> >and marked it as a frontend server in the Exchange server settings.
> >What do I need to disable on the backend so the new frontend will
> >function correctly. Without disabling anything on the backend, when I
> >go to OWA on the frontend server it redirects me to the backend's OWA.
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >thanks
>
> Go to www.microsoft.com/exchange/library and see the guide and
> instructions.
> In essence you need to disable the FBA and the SSL on the BE. Then you
> need to tick the FE as an FE (See on the properties of the server in
> ESM) Then make it a RPC/HTTPS FE by, again, ticking the box. Then go
> to the BE and, indeed again, tick the RPC BE on the RPC/HTTPS tab.
>
> SSL only on the FE, Integrated Auth in the IIS on the BE.
>
> There isn't a lot to it, really. It's mainly ticking boxes (once you
> have put the certificate on the FE from the BE) I will assume you
> don't need instructions on how to export a cert (There's a wizard)

Thank you for the response. I will try out your suggestions and see how
it goes.

What was the title of the Guide on the Exchange Library that I should
look at also?

thanks again

0
willie44 (8)
10/10/2006 5:08:59 PM
I'd perhaps start with the two articles that are staring you in the
face when you go to the site.
Literally staring at you in the face with the words Front End and Back
End clear as the nose on your face, right on the page.
0
mark7219 (5666)
10/10/2006 6:52:08 PM
Mark Arnold [MVP] wrote:
> I'd perhaps start with the two articles that are staring you in the
> face when you go to the site.
> Literally staring at you in the face with the words Front End and Back
> End clear as the nose on your face, right on the page.

I was able to get new frontend server to work with your suggestions.
The articles were about topology not adding a Frontend server into a
single server FE/BE environment.

thank you again

0
willie44 (8)

Has anyone installed CRM 1.2 on a Win Server 2003 DC?
Hi, I want to know if we can install CRM 1.2 on a DC with Windows Server 2003 SP1? If yes, then has somebody faced any performance problem? Thanks and Regards, Harshad ...

Moving license to a new computer

Safe to Move?

can you single click to open files in word and excell?
Is it possible to set the default to a single click when opening word and excell files? There's a windows setting (at least in WinXP) that you can toggle to make a single click open the file. Windows Start button|settings|control panel|Folder Options|General Tab At the bottom of that dialog. lvinning wrote: > > Is it possible to set the default to a single click when opening word and > excell files? -- Dave Peterson I have it set to that level, but once I'm inside of word or excell, you're required to double click on a file name before it will open. Some other ...

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Moving Pages between two publications

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Howto find multiple servers using TCP
I have to search my subnet to look for servers that are listening on port 30715. I am using one thread of a derived class of CAsyncSocket. I am using CEvents with a 200 milisecond timeout, if there is no connection within the 200 miliseconds, then I know there is no serer. However searching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 takes a long time. Is there a better way? I can't think of another way. But if the server program is your program, then I have a suggestion. I have a server that alot of clients connect to, and I really didn't want to have to input the server address in ever...

Can find POP3 server but not SMTP?
Hi all I am having a problem connecting to an SMTP server with Outlook 2000 in Windows XP, it says that the SMTP server is not found and gives me a dialogue box to try and reenter it. The POP3 server is the same as the SMTP server (different ports), and it finds the POP3 server no problem and downloads mail, but when it goes to send mails, it tells me that it can't find the server (even though it just found it). Also I have tried pinging the server, and no problem there. I checked the ports - 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP3. I also verified the following settings were correct by comparing wi...

Excel 2007 Run Remote/Server/Network/Shared Macro From Custom Butt
In Excel 2003 this was straightforward: add the add-in regarless of location and assign it to a button. I have tried several things in 2007 without success. I've followed the usual links (including to Rondebruin and the others!), local add-ins running remote add-ins, abused my keyboard, kicked some furniture, etc... Still I haven't found a solution. I'm sure the solution isn't as easy as in 2003 but if anyone knows it I would appreciate some advice/directions. Thanks, SQLServant ...

Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
Hi there, One of our users wanna synchronize his PDA with exchange server. I added the certificate to his device, but currently I got an HTTP_403 error, I checked the folder of \Program Files\Exchsrvr\OMA\Sync, it's EMPTY! I've installed SP2, what do I need to install in order to use Exchange Server 2003 with Exchange ActiveSync? Thank you very much. Ray Does Activesync OTA work without SSL enabled? If so, here is a good place to start: https://www.petri.co.il/how_to_sync_ppc_with_exchange_2003.htm http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Mobile-Messaging-Part1-...

CRM installation on SBS2003 or W2K3 server?
Dear all We have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard along with a Windows Server 2003 Standard (setup as a terminal server). We would like to implement Microsoft's CRM. There are 10 users on our network. I am totally new to CRM, so sorry in advance if my questions sound a little naive. 1. Do we need to install SQL on either of the servers? If so, can we upgrade the current SBS2003 Standard to Enterprise or is it best to install SQL on the W2K3 WTS server? 2. What hardware recommendations are their for CRM? Our WTS is a much higher spec than the SBS & currently has o...

Outlook is not able to connect to my SMTP server
I use Outlook2003 for email. When I try to check my email from a POP3 server, port 110, outlook says server not found. But, the server responds to a ping. The same proble repeats with netscape mail. I am inside a LAN with a proxy, and an internal SMTP server. No other comp is facing this problem. Is this some sort of a virus attack? Please help. Some proxy software does intercept and handle POP3/SMTP calls. For example, Microsoft Proxy 2.0 installs a client on the clients machine and needs to be configured to allow POP3/SMTP calls. Could your proxy solution be interfering? "abk&qu...

Exchange Small Business Server 2003 18GB storage limit issue
Running SP2 and configured the "registry file" with DWORD , increased the size to 70GB in "Private Store" Stll get following error. Exchange store 'First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SERVER)': The logical size of this database (the logical size equals the physical size of the .edb file and the .stm file minus the logical free space in each) is 18 GB. This database size has exceeded the size limit of 18 GB. Any idea please. Store gets unmonted once a week. Thanks for the help mxarun Check the spelling of the registry value as per: http://markarnold.blogspot...

Moving Folder error

Moving between worksheets

Moving Cache
I have started a new computer with Vista Ultimate. I have outlook 2003 up and running and have copied my PST file from my old Windows XP Pro computer. I did have a lot of cached addresses which were not in my contacts. I copied the .NK2 files from the XP to the Vista computer, replacing the currect *.NK2 files in the roaming folder. The address do not appear when I try to address a new email. Am I missing something? Regards. Bob Is your profile name the same on the Vista Machine? Where did you put = the file? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ...