Moving from 2 domain controllers to 1 with exchange 2003 in the m

Help!!

I would like to demote one domain controller of two leaving me with only one
domain controller. The problem is i have Exchange 2003 in the domain which is
not necessarily a problem. I am concerned that by demoting the backup domain
server that there will be a problem with connectivity with exchange. Does
anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Please let me know. Note: the
primary domain controller does the Global cataloging and config so this
should be not problem right?

0
Rox (6)

Hi Rox,

AD doesn't really have PDC and BDC like earlier versions of windows.  You
can certainly demote your second DC, especially since Exchange isn't using
it as a global catalog anyway, and since it doesn't have any FSMO roles.  Is
there a compelling reason for you to remove your second DC?  I would
certainly want a second DC, with a copy of the global catalog, if at all
possible.

"Rox" <Rox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help!!
>
> I would like to demote one domain controller of two leaving me with only
> one
> domain controller. The problem is i have Exchange 2003 in the domain which
> is
> not necessarily a problem. I am concerned that by demoting the backup
> domain
> server that there will be a problem with connectivity with exchange. Does
> anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Please let me know. Note: the
> primary domain controller does the Global cataloging and config so this
> should be not problem right?

0
tom5478 (29)
3/25/2005 3:30:00 AM
In Active Directory there are no Primary Domian Controllers (except when
emulating an NT 4 domain). DCs have roles, if you reduce to one DC this
means one machine does all the work. If you have a small network this is ok.
If you want redundacy and have large network then having more then one DC is
wise.

"Rox" <Rox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help!!
>
> I would like to demote one domain controller of two leaving me with only
> one
> domain controller. The problem is i have Exchange 2003 in the domain which
> is
> not necessarily a problem. I am concerned that by demoting the backup
> domain
> server that there will be a problem with connectivity with exchange. Does
> anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Please let me know. Note: the
> primary domain controller does the Global cataloging and config so this
> should be not problem right?

0
exchange.mvp (559)
3/25/2005 3:40:39 AM
Thanks Andrew. I have a small network of 19 users and i demoted one machine
to a member server and things are working fine.

"Andrew Sword [MVP]" wrote:

> In Active Directory there are no Primary Domian Controllers (except when
> emulating an NT 4 domain). DCs have roles, if you reduce to one DC this
> means one machine does all the work. If you have a small network this is ok.
> If you want redundacy and have large network then having more then one DC is
> wise.
>

> "Rox" <Rox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Help!!
> >
> > I would like to demote one domain controller of two leaving me with only
> > one
> > domain controller. The problem is i have Exchange 2003 in the domain which
> > is
> > not necessarily a problem. I am concerned that by demoting the backup
> > domain
> > server that there will be a problem with connectivity with exchange. Does
> > anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Please let me know. Note: the
> > primary domain controller does the Global cataloging and config so this
> > should be not problem right?

0
Rox (6)

Has anyone installed CRM 1.2 on a Win Server 2003 DC?
Hi, I want to know if we can install CRM 1.2 on a DC with Windows Server 2003 SP1? If yes, then has somebody faced any performance problem? Thanks and Regards, Harshad ...

outlook 2003 crashes when typing into to: line
whenever i create a new message, and type into either the to:, cc:, or bcc: line to enter the email address, outlook crashes. i don't get the microsoft crash message... and i've checked the event viewer, which shows no sign of a crash.. i've already done a clean reinstall of office 2003 any ideas? ...

Moving license to a new computer

cannot compose message #2
Sorry - should have provided this info: Using Outlook 2000, Windows 98 ______________________________ When I try to begin composing a message, I receive this error "Kernel 32, Illegal Operation, Contact Program Vendor" - and my system crashes. Yesterday, the message I was getting when I tried to compose was: "A fatal exception OE has occurred. 017F:BFF9DFFF The current application will be terminated" - and my system would crash. I am able to receive messages. Can someone help? Thank you!! .. ...

Header information #2
I would like to know if there is a way to hide the back end routing information in the header field. I don't mind if the Edge's name and IP is displayed. I am just wondering if I can hide the back end CAS and MAIL server info. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. There are native tools to rewrite addresses, but not entire headers, afaik. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Maav" <marc@lrsddotnet.donotspam> wrote in message news:16F48334-30...

Forgotten password #2
Straightforward situation: I forgot my password. How do I recover from this and get back into Money? In microsoft.public.money, Karl Martin wrote: >Straightforward situation: I forgot my password. How do I >recover from this and get back into Money? Passport, or conventional? Version of Money? >-----Original Message----- >In microsoft.public.money, Karl Martin wrote: > >>Straightforward situation: I forgot my password. How do I >>recover from this and get back into Money? > >Passport, or conventional? Version of Money? >. >I am in the same situat...

Linking dats on a worksheet to control panel
I am in the process of creating a gantt chart in Excel 2007 for various projects my company performing. I have created formulas so that the current date used to calculate the number of days remaining and the number of days past. I was wondering if there was anyway to link the current date to the control panel so it automatically updates everyday? This way I do not have to manually do it. Thanks to everyone that helps ...

Public Folders replication #2
I'm trying to move our Exchange Public Foldersfrom an Exchange 2003 (SP1) to a new Exchange 2003 (SP2) server, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've added the new server to the replica tab for all the public folders, but they never move to the new server... Any suggestions? Thanks I'm having the same problems, try the following: - Check App logs on servers to see if Replication Messages are being sent/recieved - Make sure Connector allows system messages to pass through - Use message tracker to track messages (you should see messages being sent between these...

PA Inventory Transfer #2
I have a customer who wants to create a demand for inventory thru Inventory Transfer in Project Accounting. Then when the PO generator is ran, it will produce a PO to fill this demand. The problem in Inventory Transfer (PA) I cannot enter a qty > what is available. How do I get around this. I want to put the demand out then fill the demand with a PO. Thank you, Amy ...

Safe to Move?

How to make domains in Exchange 2003?
I have Exchange set up and working for my local domain (local.mydomain.com). I need to add 2 domains. How do I set this up? Thanks. On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:21:38 -0700, "Terry Olsen" <tolsen64@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have Exchange set up and working for my local domain (local.mydomain.com). >I need to add 2 domains. How do I set this up? Thanks. > Go into Exchange System Manager and drill down to Recipient Policies. See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=285136 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;317298 for help on your ...

Defaults #2
How do you set defaults for fonts and language used in text boxes? Publisher 2003 You cannot without a free add-in utility from Brian's website www.kvalheim.org We did have all these and more features in the excellent Publisher 97, but then Microsoft decided you no longer needed Defaults and removed them all. We still have not got them back. I think you have a cheek deciding you need and want something that Microsoft decided for you, you no longer need. Thankfully the freeware utility is a step forward. Overall Publisher 2003 is a great product. -- ...

Outlook 2003
Hello. I like to change the method of visualization images on Outlook 2003. There's a away to change this to be just like outlook express? For example, when a image (jpg) is attached on, currently I must double click on image to open it. I would like that appear on mail body like Express. Anyone can help-me ? Outlook is not Outlook Express. It does not have the native ability to display pictures inline as does OE. Outlook is primarily a business tool and businesses seldom have a need to display pictures in email. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook} Please post all followup questio...

Access to multiple Exchange mailboxes from same Outlook Profile
We have two Exchange servers that are part of the same Active Directory domain and Exchange Organization. Users are able to add additional mailboxes to their Outlook (2003) profiles, but can only expand those located on the same server as their primary mailbox. All of the added mailboxes are visible in the Folder list, but any mailboxes located on the second server display the error "unable to expand folders." I know I've seen this work in the past where there were multiple Exchange servers, any thoughts? Exactly what rights did you give the user in order to add the extra ma...

I'm haveing trouble using 256 colours my toolbar?
Has anyone else had trouble using more than 16 colours on a toolbar? when I edit the bitmap it will let me but when editing the toolbat from the resource menu it moans? Try this: http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/toolbar/miscellaneous/article.php/c2521 -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Chris Baker" <ChrisBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:989752AD-0EFE-430A-AD47-9FBC50DBF1D1@microsoft.com... > Has anyone else had trouble using more than 16 colours on a toolbar? > > when I edit the bitmap it will let me but when editing the t...

Moving Exchange 2000

Exchange 5.5 clients cannot see the new user fr Outlook Global Add
Hi to All, Please we need help! We have 4 branches with different domain. 2 branch is using Exchange 5.5 and 2 others are using Exchange 2000. Our Problem is when we configured one account in Exchange 2000 it can't be seen in 2 Exchange 5.5 Global Address. This mail is use for internal use only and it is not connected to internet. Thanks in Advanced! Emslan Did you configure Active Directory Connector to synchronize between your AD and Exchange 5.5 directory? Exchange 2000 uses AD for its directory store but Exchange 5.5 uses its own directory. "emslan" <emslan@d...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Money 2003 #6
I just recently bought a new computer and it came with Microsoft Works Suite 2003. I tried to back up a money file to the disk rw drive and when back up window came up it had the floppy drive shown and would not let me change it. Can anyone exlain how I would do that? No, because you can't. The oft-repeated FAQ: --- Q): How do I backup to CD-RW? CD-R? A): First, remember that a CD-R or CD-RW is not a general purpose random access storage device and needs software (like DirectCD from Easy CD (Coaster) Creator by Roxio) to begin to pretend to be. (That having been said, the poor relia...

Mail Delivery failure #2
I have one specific user that constantly receives email replies for undeliverable emails to an unknown address in which he never sent. Can someone explain why and how to fix it? Karen <karen@reuelnc.com> wrote: > I have one specific user that constantly receives email replies for > undeliverable emails to an unknown address in which he never sent. Can > someone explain why and how to fix it? There's nothing that can be done. Somewhere on the Internet, someone who has your user's address in his or her address book has been infected with malware. This infect...

Control Tool Box
Hi, I want to learn how to use the elements (e.g. command button, option button, combo box etc.) in the control tool box. Can someone point me to some articles/tutorial? Don't seem to have much luck with help? What is the control tool box for anyway? Thanks. Epinn It is a collection of worksheet controls that are event driven. If you select one and then draw it on a worksheet, double-click the object and you will be taken to a template event procedure for that control. -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Epinn" <...