Moving files in MDBDATA Folder

I have an Exchange 2003 installation on a Windows 2003 server and the C:
drive is getting very low on disk space.  I checked this morning and it had 8
MB free.  I was able to free up about 750 MB but I notcied that the MDBDATA
folder on the C: drive is like 4GB and is loaded with .txt files with names
such as E0000E9B,  E0000E9C,  E0000E9D, etc.
Is there a way to move this to another drive or how can we get rid of some
of them?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Charlie
0
VIT (15)

These are probably log files and not text/txt files. If you also see EDB and
STM files in there, these belong to the Information Store.

You can move these to another location from ESM.- ESM will
dismount the Store(s), move files, and mount Store(s).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915

--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"VIT" <VIT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Exchange 2003 installation on a Windows 2003 server and the C:
> drive is getting very low on disk space.  I checked this morning and it
> had 8
> MB free.  I was able to free up about 750 MB but I notcied that the
> MDBDATA
> folder on the C: drive is like 4GB and is loaded with .txt files with
> names
> such as E0000E9B,  E0000E9C,  E0000E9D, etc.
> Is there a way to move this to another drive or how can we get rid of some
> of them?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
> Charlie

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
11/28/2006 8:16:12 PM
How many files do you see in there?

When you do a full backup of your Exchange server, the log files are rolled
into the .edb files.  If your .edb files are small and you have thousands of
other files, this indicates you may not have been backing your Exchange up
properly.  Do NOT delete ANY of the files you see in there!

Do a full backup, then check to see if the log files have 'vanished' (been
rolled in to the database).  If they are still there, your backup may not be
Exchange aware.

"VIT" <VIT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Exchange 2003 installation on a Windows 2003 server and the C:
> drive is getting very low on disk space.  I checked this morning and it
> had 8
> MB free.  I was able to free up about 750 MB but I notcied that the
> MDBDATA
> folder on the C: drive is like 4GB and is loaded with .txt files with
> names
> such as E0000E9B,  E0000E9C,  E0000E9D, etc.
> Is there a way to move this to another drive or how can we get rid of some
> of them?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
> Charlie

0
neal4929 (20)
11/28/2006 9:16:20 PM
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:16:20 -0000, "Neal" <neal@apoyar.co.nz> wrote:

>How many files do you see in there?
>
>When you do a full backup of your Exchange server, the log files are rolled
>into the .edb files.  If your .edb files are small and you have thousands of
>other files, this indicates you may not have been backing your Exchange up
>properly.  Do NOT delete ANY of the files you see in there!

Actually, transactions are written continually to the database while
its online, not just during a backup. The checkpoint file designates
the last successful log that was written to the store.
But, yes, you do not want to manually delete those logs because they
may be needed during a DR situation.

>Do a full backup, then check to see if the log files have 'vanished' (been
>rolled in to the database).  If they are still there, your backup may not be
>Exchange aware.
>

>"VIT" <VIT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have an Exchange 2003 installation on a Windows 2003 server and the C:
>> drive is getting very low on disk space.  I checked this morning and it
>> had 8
>> MB free.  I was able to free up about 750 MB but I notcied that the
>> MDBDATA
>> folder on the C: drive is like 4GB and is loaded with .txt files with
>> names
>> such as E0000E9B,  E0000E9C,  E0000E9D, etc.
>> Is there a way to move this to another drive or how can we get rid of some
>> of them?
>>
>> Thanks for your help in advance.
>> Charlie

0
adavid (8731)

Bring filtered data from another file
I have a Birthdays file I have a Calendar file After each date in this calendar file I have 4 empty lines (assumption: max 4 birthdays on the same day) 15.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... 16.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... How can I bring the names for each date from the Birthdays file. Thanks and regards, CousinExcel ...

Can't open files from a different version saved to 2000 format
Hi, I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The document shows up in the preview area, but will not open. She even tried to save it to the 98 format, but it still will not open. Any ideas? Julie wrote: > Hi, > > I am having problems opening a file sent to me by someone using > Publisher 2003. I have Publisher 2000. She saved to the 2000 format, > but it says that I cannot open files from a different version. The > d...

Possible? Using Word template .dot file as app's doc template?
Just curious... I was wondering if a Word .dot file could be used as a template for my app's document. It would give users the option of customizing the look of output from my program without my having to duplicate a lot of functionality. For them it would be a familiar way to do the formatting. A win/win as they say. Do Word documents have a published format, or are redistributable .dll files available from Microsoft (at extra cost) to do this? Thanks, Rick ...

Files incomplete
When I go into Start/My Computer/C:/1Dan which is my directory I cannot get a complete list of all the sub-directories. It seems the more recent ones that I have created are not listed. I can find them when I use various S/W (Office, Excel, etc). Is there a setting that I need to change or something else I am doing wrong?? Thanks, Why are you accessing / or trying, data from that path? and if that is the actual path then you have created a directory named 1Dan.... in the route of C: for an unknown reason. The win user directories are under Documents & Settings Your da...

Moving license to a new computer

MDBdata folder problem
I came in this morning and the Exchange 2000 server would not start. I noticed that the MDBdata folder contained 50gig of data, so I deleted all the .log files that started with E and restarted the Exchange server. Everything seems to be working fine. I then read in this newsgroup that it is a bad idea to delete those files manually. I have two questions: 1. Will I run into problems now that I have deleted those files manually? 2. a 5 meg log file is created every 2 minutes. Is there a way I can reduce the frequency of these log files? thanks for your advice. hk "Hasan Kachal&...

Critical OE/Outlook Backup Files
Greetings. Would one of you knowledgable MPV's kindly tell me which OE/Outlook files should be backed up so I don't lose any of my address book, folders, or data from both programs. I am in need of reinstalling my OS (XP) and don't want to lose any of my important names, folders, documents, etc. Your assistance is much appreciated. Outlook: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm Outlook Express: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -P...

Safe to Move?

VBA code could not find file
I am using the code shown as an example in the help files and when run, it cannot locate the file. Dim dbsProjects As Database Set dbsProjects = OpenDatabase("Projects.mdb") Why can VB not find the open database? Try putting the full path to Projects.mdb, rather than just the file name. That statement would only work if Projects.mdb happens to be in whatever folder is the current directory. Predicting what Access considers to be the current directory can be difficult: it depends on how you opened the application. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Moving Exchange 2000

Re: PST file problems
>> "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" Perhaps this has something to do with Outlook web services in Corporate or Workgroup/Exchange mode? How could this affect a PTS file or PST import? FWIW, the original archive files were not created while in Corporate or Workgroup/Exchange mode. Any answers? please include connarch@yahoo.com in any reply -- Pierre Levesque, AIA c. 917.577.8780 "Pierre Levesque, AIA" <pierrelevesque@connarch.com> wrote in message news:... > > "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.co...

Moving Pages between two publications

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Processing large files with TextFieldParser
ASP.net 3.5/SQL Server 2008 I've got a large (1.1m rows) csv file which needs parsing and sticking into sql server - the job needs doing every day and if anything the csv will get larger over time. At present I'm using a TextFieldParser to parse the csv line by line and add to the database. This fails probably 2 times in 3, if it's going to fall over it's usually at around 200,000 lines. Looking for suggestions as to how to do this robustly, on a shared server which doesn't allow bulk insert. Fair to assume the server is a factor in failure but I can't ...

How do I change default user name for all Excel Files?
Attempting SSconsolidation ex Tools-->Options, User Info tab. You may need to do it from Word, depending on your version...which is why including your version is always helpful. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "miriamfox" <miriamfox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0889E47B-E1C6-4F3B-B6D5-8AF5405AA92C@microsoft.com... > Attempting SSconsolidation ex ...

kb973904 and doc files
winXP SP3 and KB973904 when that update is installed, and I open a .doc file using wordpad, I see all the hidden coding. When I save a .doc file using wordpad, I get an error message, unable to save. If I uninstall that update, then I'm back to normal again. Is there a problem with the update? Do I need this update? Andreas, See this MSKB to understand what the update is doing: MS09-073: Description of the security update for Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003: December 8, 2009 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904 Specifically, the " Funct...

Excel 2k3: Workbook on network drive, when save creates new file
When we open up a shared workbook and enter data into it. Everything works fine but once you save it the original still contains the information but in the folder on the network drive that the original is located a new file is created. This new file is the same size as the original document. It didn't start doing this until it was moved from our old 2000 Server to our new 2k3 server. Can anyone help? Does that newly created workbook have a name of 8 characters (with no extension)? If yes... When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characte...