Moving files in MDBDATA Folder

I have an Exchange 2003 installation on a Windows 2003 server and the C:
drive is getting very low on disk space.  I checked this morning and it had 8
MB free.  I was able to free up about 750 MB but I notcied that the MDBDATA
folder on the C: drive is like 4GB and is loaded with .txt files with names
such as E0000E9B,  E0000E9C,  E0000E9D, etc.
Is there a way to move this to another drive or how can we get rid of some
of them?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Charlie
0
VIT (15)

These are probably log files and not text/txt files. If you also see EDB and
STM files in there, these belong to the Information Store.

You can move these to another location from ESM.- ESM will
dismount the Store(s), move files, and mount Store(s).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915

--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"VIT" <VIT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Exchange 2003 installation on a Windows 2003 server and the C:
> drive is getting very low on disk space.  I checked this morning and it
> had 8
> MB free.  I was able to free up about 750 MB but I notcied that the
> MDBDATA
> folder on the C: drive is like 4GB and is loaded with .txt files with
> names
> such as E0000E9B,  E0000E9C,  E0000E9D, etc.
> Is there a way to move this to another drive or how can we get rid of some
> of them?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
> Charlie

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
11/28/2006 8:16:12 PM
How many files do you see in there?

When you do a full backup of your Exchange server, the log files are rolled
into the .edb files.  If your .edb files are small and you have thousands of
other files, this indicates you may not have been backing your Exchange up
properly.  Do NOT delete ANY of the files you see in there!

Do a full backup, then check to see if the log files have 'vanished' (been
rolled in to the database).  If they are still there, your backup may not be
Exchange aware.

"VIT" <VIT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Exchange 2003 installation on a Windows 2003 server and the C:
> drive is getting very low on disk space.  I checked this morning and it
> had 8
> MB free.  I was able to free up about 750 MB but I notcied that the
> MDBDATA
> folder on the C: drive is like 4GB and is loaded with .txt files with
> names
> such as E0000E9B,  E0000E9C,  E0000E9D, etc.
> Is there a way to move this to another drive or how can we get rid of some
> of them?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
> Charlie

0
neal4929 (20)
11/28/2006 9:16:20 PM
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:16:20 -0000, "Neal" <neal@apoyar.co.nz> wrote:

>How many files do you see in there?
>
>When you do a full backup of your Exchange server, the log files are rolled
>into the .edb files.  If your .edb files are small and you have thousands of
>other files, this indicates you may not have been backing your Exchange up
>properly.  Do NOT delete ANY of the files you see in there!

Actually, transactions are written continually to the database while
its online, not just during a backup. The checkpoint file designates
the last successful log that was written to the store.
But, yes, you do not want to manually delete those logs because they
may be needed during a DR situation.

>Do a full backup, then check to see if the log files have 'vanished' (been
>rolled in to the database).  If they are still there, your backup may not be
>Exchange aware.
>

>"VIT" <VIT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have an Exchange 2003 installation on a Windows 2003 server and the C:
>> drive is getting very low on disk space.  I checked this morning and it
>> had 8
>> MB free.  I was able to free up about 750 MB but I notcied that the
>> MDBDATA
>> folder on the C: drive is like 4GB and is loaded with .txt files with
>> names
>> such as E0000E9B,  E0000E9C,  E0000E9D, etc.
>> Is there a way to move this to another drive or how can we get rid of some
>> of them?
>>
>> Thanks for your help in advance.
>> Charlie

0
adavid (8731)

Can I move down 12 rows in excel for every new entry
I am entering records of numbers which have formulas for calculation. I want to place these records every 12 rows and be able to automate the worksheet for our office personnel. How? HELP!! There can be anywhere from 50 to 150 records depending on how many batches are produced in manufacturing plant. right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this. If not column A (1) then change. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub Target.Offset(12).Select End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Mickey&...

Help: Formula put into entire row creates large file size
Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I would like one column to be the concatenation of two other columns. For example, in column C I would have =A1&B1. This excel file will be given to people and they will fill in values into columns A and B. The trick is, I don't know how many rows there will be, so I don't know how many rows in column C should have this formula. If I paste this formula into the entire column C, the excel file blows up to 3 megabytes. (It's only 15KB without this column). Are there ways for me to accomplish this more efficiently? Thanks for any help Are y...

Hyperlink to folder on Save
Hi I'm losing the link to my folder when I save my worksheet having set it up a hyperlink. I've tried switiching off 'update links on Save' in the Web Options which seems to work OK but when anyone else opens the file form another network PC, the link is lost again when they save the document. Is there anyway I can lock the hyperlink down so the address doesn't get aleter when its saved on other network PCs? Try using the HYPERLINK() function instead =HYPERLINK("file:////c:\filename.xls","Book1") -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "F...

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

Querying MS Access from C# on stored file paths
Hi folks, I'm storing some particulars about file usage in my MS Access database, incl. the full paths of those files. I tried to query the database in my C# code. My idea was to retrieve from the database by means of SQL when a file was used the last time, but I only know the directory it is in, so in my code I tried to construct a WHERE clause as follows: String whereClause = "WHERE Filename LIKE '" + dirpath + "*'"; Of course I'm working on Windows and I don't want to think of portability now. Obviously, the variable dirpath contains double...

help
I have some texts files, which i want to read in each line, and then write back each line to a new text file. So for example, I want to read in the 2 lines below: "C:\Data\=D3=EA=D2=B9=D0=C7=BF=D5",6,10,3,3,8 "",0,0,0,318.592,83.04552 I store each line of data in the following vector: std::vector<CString> FileData; So FileData[0] =3D ""C:\Data\=D3=EA=D2=B9=D0=C7=BF=D5",6,10,3,3,8" FileData[1] =3D """,0,0,0,318.592,83.04552" (the data is in the vector correctly) Then I go to write the data to a new text file... FILE ...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

execute batch file does not execute all command lines
I am using the following code to execute a batch file which contains multiple commands, each on a separate line. Each command-line creates a file. What I am finding is that only some of the files are being created ( 7 out of 11 ). If I then run the batch file directly ( either by double-clicking, or pasting its path into cmd.exe window ), all files are created ( 11 out of 11 ). private void executeBatchFile(string pathBatchFile, string pathWorkingDirectory, Label outputDump) { ...

Precompiled headers and source files in subdirectory
Hello, I'm using MSVC++ 8.0 SP1 on WinXP Pro and I have a simple, app-wizard generated MFC application. It was using precompiled headers to speed up build times (as is the default), but when I tried to move the c++ source files to a subdirectory "src" to in the project/solution directory, I can't build the program anymore without disabling precompiled headers. I get these errors: error C2859: c:\coding\msvc\toolbar-demo\debug\vc80.pdb is not the pdb file that was used when this precompiled header was created, recreate the precompiled header. error C2859: c:\coding\msvc...

What's the name of the file that stores AutoComplete addresses
My Outlook had to be re-installed and I lost my contact list which is very large. I see several files in the recycle bin. Is one of them by contacts? Autocomplete cache is an NK2 file, named for your profile, often outlook.nk2. Paste the following line in the address bar of windows explorer; %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it will open to the folder where its stored. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subsc...

Opening Text Files and Re-Saving Them
Hi. I am trying to write some code which will allow a user to select a folder and then will open all of the text files in that folder and re-save them as excel files. I have sorted out the code to enable the user to select the folder they wish to use, but am looking some assistance on the looping to enable each of the text files to be opened and re-saved. Can anyone suggest how I might do this. Thanks. If the text files are all the same, you could record a macro that Opens, saves as an excel file, and closes the file. Then that recorded macro could be modified to open...

the system cannot find the file specified outlook 2003 #2
Attachments show up in emails, but when you try to open them, the messages comes up "the system cannot find the file specified", but other recipiants on same email can open theirs. ...

Badmail folder filling up
Anyone know how to correctly delete files from the badmail folder. It is filling up and will eventually use up all my disk space. Also, is there any way to move this folder to a different drive. I don't want this folder filling up and crashing my server. Thanks! Stop SMTP Services and recreate the VS1 folder with all its content. Then start the services again. BUT, you may having a realy or virus problem, so if you move the folder to a bigger disk, you will still have the problem. Look forward and see if you are infected or your sistem is ised to mail relay. >-----Origina...

Unable to move messages
Hi, I am unable to move messages between Inbox and PF in OWA. I know its a limitation of OWA. But any workarounds? On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 04:38:01 -0700, Jack Dorson <JackDorson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am unable to move messages between Inbox and PF in OWA. >I know its a limitation of OWA. > >But any workarounds? Only using another application such as Outlook (RPC over HTTPS) ...

trouble opening office 2003 excel files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am having difficulty opening Excel files that were created in the 2003 version withthe 2008 version. The files were originally created on a windows XP machine, then imported into a Mac using Office 2003 under system 10.4. The files are rather large, approximately 60 columns by 10,000 rows. I haad no difficulty in working with the files between the Windows and Mac systems. I recently got a new MacBook Pro with an Intel processor and installed Office 2008. When I try to read these large Excel files on my new lap...

Unable to display the folder. The inbox folder could not be found
I'm new to Exchange. I'm setting up a very small exchange system at home (MSDN), in order to learn a little about it before making the decision to move to it in the office or not. My home server is acting as both a PDC and Exchange Server. All appears to be fine, and I can access my exchange account, while my other half can access her exchange account. However, although I've given myself access to my other-half's inbox (sharing, given my user "Publishing Editor" access to her inbox), when I attempt to open her inbox from Outlook, I receive the message "Unable...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...

Supported File Attachment for Faxes
What are the supported file attachment types for fax activities? So far I've gotten simple text files and Bitmaps to attach properly, but Word documents do not work. Anyone know? Is this completed undocumented or what? Try this! If you are attaching a file under the Notes tab, you need to save your fax activity first then you can attach the file. Hope this help, DK "iparadox" wrote: > Is this completed undocumented or what? > > It does'nt work with Word attachments, it only works with .txt files. But it can't be this is what MS wanted. Can anyone p...

How do I transfer files between computers in OE?
I use two computers to access my mail and there are files I have on one machine I need on the other. Backing up does not work Help Hi Brian, Please take a look at Microsoft KB article OLEXP: How to Back Up the Outlook Express Address Book and Mail Folders Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 188854 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188854 This article gives you information on how to Backup the OE files and how to import to your new system... Please let me know has this helped You... Thank you... Raghu... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no wa...

Imported/merged .ics file into calendar... how to undo/delete?
Hello. I accidentally imported an .ics file into my main calendar and am wondering if there's anyway to remove the entries that came from this ics file from my calendar? Thanks. Add the modified time field to the view then sort by it - all the imported events should be together with the same modified time. -- -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about...

Help, please
Can anyone tell me if a file that was accidentally saved over is recoverable in Office XP? One of my users "Saved As" then clicked on a wrong filename in the dialogue box and saved over an important file. Thanks so much in advance. Scott AFAIK not unless there is a backup. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------...

Fix multiple 'assign macro' references broken due to moving sheet
I'm mystified as to why this happened, but I'm hoping someone can help me fix it in an easy way... I have a workbook with multiple sheets, and many buttons with assigned macros on different sheets for navigation, filtering, etc. I created a new blank sheet within the workbook for a throwaway calculation, and then decided I didn't want it in that book so right clicked and moved to a new book. That was fine and I proceeded with my calculating for a while. Then I went back to the original book and tried to use a button, but got an error that the macro did not exist, refe...

How do I move office 2003 from my old PC to a new imac
I bought a new imac and have installed the fusion windows emulator and XP. It works beautifully but I cannot figure out how to transfer software from my old PC. Actually my old PC died and I am trying to transfer from the hard drive that I salvaged. How do I install Office on the new machine? I dragged the program file over, but I cannot get the program to open on the new machine. Help John at Canegarden wrote: > I bought a new imac and have installed the fusion windows emulator > and XP. > It works beautifully but I cannot figure out how to transfer software > from my ol...

How do I launch MS-DOS prompt to execute a batch file from within Excel worksheet with /VBA?
I am creating a batch file with MS-DOS commands within an Excel worksheet using VBA. Now, I have to execute this batch file. I don't know how to launch the MS-DOS prompt and then write out the command to execute the batch file. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** Take a look at Shell in VBA's help. veritasca wrote: > > I am creating a batch file with MS-DOS commands within an Excel > worksheet using VBA. Now, I ha...

is there any way to open access 2003 files in 2007 ??
I am a student using access 2003 at college, I have access 2007 at home. I am unable to open any 2003 db files using 2007, there appear to be compatability issues...is there a quick fix ? Access 2003 .mdb files should open in Access 2007. I do it all the time. However Access 2007 .accdb files will NOT open in Access 2003. I tell my Access 2007 students that they MUST use 2007 to do the homework. What kind of error are you getting? -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "Andrew" wrote: > I am...