Moving Exchange 2k to new Exchange 2k server

I have an Exchange 2k server. Two hard drives (one for OS
and one for data). Both are quickly running out of space
and the hardware is slow.  I want to upgrade my hardware
(faster computer, & larger hard drives), but I want to
stick with Exchange 2k for now.  What is the best way to
go about this?

Also, in looking at the way this server was setup, I
don't understand where the m:/exchange drive exists. Do
all Exchange servers have a m:/exchange drive.  It seems
to be part of the C: drive (always has exactly the same
space used as if they were mirrored) but different data.
Can you explain?

Thanks,
0
mikek6792 (1)

M - Drive is just a drive mapped to the internals of the database - the free
size on M is actually your real drive.

XGEN: Description of the Drive Space Values for Drive M
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288428

Make sure some other box is the DC and follow this.

XADM: How to Move Exchange 2000 to New Hardware and Keep the Same Server
Name
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297289

"Do all Exchange servers have a m:/exchange drive."

Only Exchange 2000 - we removed it in 2003.

HOW TO: Remove the IFS Mapping for Drive M in Exchange 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305145

Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821836

--
Hope that helps,
Dan Townsend

"Mike" <mikek@classicstar.com> wrote in message
> I have an Exchange 2k server. Two hard drives (one for OS
> and one for data). Both are quickly running out of space
> and the hardware is slow.  I want to upgrade my hardware
> (faster computer, & larger hard drives), but I want to
> stick with Exchange 2k for now.  What is the best way to
> go about this?
>
> Also, in looking at the way this server was setup, I
> don't understand where the m:/exchange drive exists. Do
> all Exchange servers have a m:/exchange drive.  It seems
> to be part of the C: drive (always has exactly the same
> space used as if they were mirrored) but different data.
> Can you explain?
>
> Thanks,

0
dtown (976)
2/9/2004 4:40:22 AM
Keep out of drive M:, or you can create tons of problems for yourself.

Mike wrote:

> I have an Exchange 2k server. Two hard drives (one for OS
> and one for data). Both are quickly running out of space
> and the hardware is slow.  I want to upgrade my hardware
> (faster computer, & larger hard drives), but I want to
> stick with Exchange 2k for now.  What is the best way to
> go about this?
>
> Also, in looking at the way this server was setup, I
> don't understand where the m:/exchange drive exists. Do
> all Exchange servers have a m:/exchange drive.  It seems
> to be part of the C: drive (always has exactly the same
> space used as if they were mirrored) but different data.
> Can you explain?
>
> Thanks,

0
kpalagin1 (1216)

Moving license to a new computer

Exchange 2003 down
I installed Norton Antivirus client on my server yesterday. Last night, it quarantined the e00.log file. Since then I have not been able to mount either the priv or the pub databases. I even tried having symantec restore the file (I have a copy of the one that was current). It made a little difference (missing log file is now there). Any ideas of what else I should do? Both databases showed dirty shutdown. I did the eseutil /p on the pub database and everything seems to go ok (no longer dirty shutdown) but cannot run isinteg against it. "OC" <anonymous@discussio...

reference a cell AND its format in a new cell
Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want A2 to show not only the 5 but I also want it to preserve and show the same formatting that was applied to A1. Thanks in advance for the help. Formulas don't do this kind of thing. You could copy|Paste???? TiChNi wrote: > > Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any > formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in > red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want ...

Safe to Move?

Access to multiple Exchange mailboxes from same Outlook Profile
We have two Exchange servers that are part of the same Active Directory domain and Exchange Organization. Users are able to add additional mailboxes to their Outlook (2003) profiles, but can only expand those located on the same server as their primary mailbox. All of the added mailboxes are visible in the Folder list, but any mailboxes located on the second server display the error "unable to expand folders." I know I've seen this work in the past where there were multiple Exchange servers, any thoughts? Exactly what rights did you give the user in order to add the extra ma...

Creating a new worksheet from a template
I would like to press a button on one worksheet and create a ne worksheet that conforms to a template. However: 1) this is for a series of people who do not work centrally and who ar not technical i.e. the solution needs to be self-contained within m workbook and not involve the creation of xlst templates that have t sit in a certain place on the hard drive. 2) These worksheets will have a series of fields that relate t 'activities'. The user can chose to spawn worksheets for one or mor activities. I would like a summary sheet to add all the activit information from as many activit...

Moving Exchange 2000

Exchange 5.5 clients cannot see the new user fr Outlook Global Add
Hi to All, Please we need help! We have 4 branches with different domain. 2 branch is using Exchange 5.5 and 2 others are using Exchange 2000. Our Problem is when we configured one account in Exchange 2000 it can't be seen in 2 Exchange 5.5 Global Address. This mail is use for internal use only and it is not connected to internet. Thanks in Advanced! Emslan Did you configure Active Directory Connector to synchronize between your AD and Exchange 5.5 directory? Exchange 2000 uses AD for its directory store but Exchange 5.5 uses its own directory. "emslan" <emslan@d...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Another question concerning powershell and exchange 2003
i am really strugling with this process. I see examples on the net for doing this but they all do a lot more than I want so there is a ton of code to sift through. Basicly I will query AD for a user account. I want to be able to create the mailbox for that account. Do you have a simple example of what i need to do to get access to CDOEXM and what parameters it is wanting. I assume that is where my trouble is. ...

How to filter previous distribtion list in Exchange 2003
We are doing the migration. We are trying to create some address view to filter distribtion groups which are created from Exchange 5.5 before according to the following KB (e.g. create an extra item called company to filter it from Exchange 5.5 address book view automatically before) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262968 However, we don't know how to filter because we cannot find the company from the new distribution group, how to do? ...

Delegates for SBS2003 Exchange

Setting up a new user
I'm experimenting with Exchange server 2003 in a lab environment. I've got one user set up and able to access his mailbox. I then created a second user on the server. When I try to connect to his mailbox from a client PC, Outlook tells me: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file". What the heck does that mean? How do I do what it is asking? The client PC is running XP Pro, and I did restart it and log on to the...

Exchange 5.5 / 2000 /2003
Why does so many people send posts regarding Exchange 2000=20 and 2003 in the wrong forum?? This forum is regarding Exchange 5.5 There=B4s forum=B4s for them all, PLEASE place the questions=20 in the right forum gladefoged You need to read this: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/community/newsgroups/default.asp -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchange.co.uk "gladefoged" <gl@lundbergvest.dk> wrote in message news:5be401c3ad2e$b1e74350$a601280a@phx.gbl... Why does so many people send posts regarding Exchange 2000 and 2003 ...

Moving Pages between two publications

Howto find multiple servers using TCP
I have to search my subnet to look for servers that are listening on port 30715. I am using one thread of a derived class of CAsyncSocket. I am using CEvents with a 200 milisecond timeout, if there is no connection within the 200 miliseconds, then I know there is no serer. However searching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 takes a long time. Is there a better way? I can't think of another way. But if the server program is your program, then I have a suggestion. I have a server that alot of clients connect to, and I really didn't want to have to input the server address in ever...

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Exchange 2003 Relay
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, because I'm starting to lose patience. My Exchange server is acting like its being used as a relay, except that I've already scoured the internet and performed all the checks that most websites suggest, such as (the main two): - Relay Restrictions: Tick "Only the list below" and "Allow all computers which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above". - Enabling recipient filtering Unfortunately, even with these set correctly, my Queue folder still generates emails at a steady 3 or 4 per minute, ...

Outlook is not able to connect to my SMTP server
I use Outlook2003 for email. When I try to check my email from a POP3 server, port 110, outlook says server not found. But, the server responds to a ping. The same proble repeats with netscape mail. I am inside a LAN with a proxy, and an internal SMTP server. No other comp is facing this problem. Is this some sort of a virus attack? Please help. Some proxy software does intercept and handle POP3/SMTP calls. For example, Microsoft Proxy 2.0 installs a client on the clients machine and needs to be configured to allow POP3/SMTP calls. Could your proxy solution be interfering? "abk&qu...