Move Mailbox Recomendations

We are currently in a mixed mode Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 environment.
We are planning to do a mass mailbox migration this weekend and I was
wondering what the recommendation is on how many users to select at one time
using the Move Mailbox tool?

Can I move a couple of hundred mailboxes at one time or should I just keep
it to say 10 mailboxes at a time?

Thanks,
Fred

it depends...how robust is the server?  and make certain you have lots of
room for transaction logs on the target server...I have come close to
running out of diskspace on the drive where the log files are...how many
mailboxes to move?

"Fred Yarbrough" <fcyarbrough@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We are currently in a mixed mode Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003
environment.
> We are planning to do a mass mailbox migration this weekend and I was
> wondering what the recommendation is on how many users to select at one
time
> using the Move Mailbox tool?
>

> Can I move a couple of hundred mailboxes at one time or should I just keep
> it to say 10 mailboxes at a time?
>

> Thanks,
> Fred

0
susan1334 (131)
5/11/2005 3:37:24 PM
We have about 1500 mailboxes to move across 3 E2K3 servers.  These E5.5
mailboxes are only 50MB max.  Our E2K3 servers all have 75 GB of Transaction
log space and 300 GB of database space per server.

Thanks,
Fred

"Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> it depends...how robust is the server?  and make certain you have lots of
> room for transaction logs on the target server...I have come close to
> running out of diskspace on the drive where the log files are...how many
> mailboxes to move?
>
> "Fred Yarbrough" <fcyarbrough@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > We are currently in a mixed mode Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003
> environment.
> > We are planning to do a mass mailbox migration this weekend and I was
> > wondering what the recommendation is on how many users to select at one
> time
> > using the Move Mailbox tool?
> >

> > Can I move a couple of hundred mailboxes at one time or should I just
keep
> > it to say 10 mailboxes at a time?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Fred

then you should be OK to move them all in large groups...
> We have about 1500 mailboxes to move across 3 E2K3 servers.  These E5.5
> mailboxes are only 50MB max.  Our E2K3 servers all have 75 GB of
Transaction
> log space and 300 GB of database space per server.
>

> Thanks,
> Fred
>

> "Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > it depends...how robust is the server?  and make certain you have lots
of
> > room for transaction logs on the target server...I have come close to
> > running out of diskspace on the drive where the log files are...how many
> > mailboxes to move?
> >
> > "Fred Yarbrough" <fcyarbrough@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > We are currently in a mixed mode Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003
> > environment.
> > > We are planning to do a mass mailbox migration this weekend and I was
> > > wondering what the recommendation is on how many users to select at
one
> > time
> > > using the Move Mailbox tool?
> > >

> > > Can I move a couple of hundred mailboxes at one time or should I just
> keep
> > > it to say 10 mailboxes at a time?
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Fred

0
susan1334 (131)
5/11/2005 4:13:45 PM
> then you should be OK to move them all in large groups...

I don't like how Ex2003 moves lots of Mailboxes at once. In 2000 it did them
sequentially so each mailbox was only offline few a few minutes. With Ex2003
it does them all at the same time so it takes ages.
Not sure if this is configurable as I only did it once a while ago. But I
prefer the sequential method as it allowed me to do all the moves in the
middle of the day while people are at lunch etc :)

0
wakeupcall (43)
5/12/2005 8:55:24 AM
Actually, by default Exchange 2003 only moves mailboxes 4 by 4, despite you
only configure the process once even with 3 000 mailboxes.

"Uncle Bully" <wakeupcall@optushome.com.au.REMOVE> a �crit dans le message
de news: 42831a77$0$10305$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...

> "Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > then you should be OK to move them all in large groups...
>
> I don't like how Ex2003 moves lots of Mailboxes at once. In 2000 it did
them
> sequentially so each mailbox was only offline few a few minutes. With
Ex2003
> it does them all at the same time so it takes ages.
> Not sure if this is configurable as I only did it once a while ago. But I
> prefer the sequential method as it allowed me to do all the moves in the
> middle of the day while people are at lunch etc :)

0
coercitas (11)
5/12/2005 3:32:31 PM
"Uncle Bully" <wakeupcall@optushome.com.au.REMOVE> wrote:

>"Susan" <susan@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> then you should be OK to move them all in large groups...
>
>I don't like how Ex2003 moves lots of Mailboxes at once. In 2000 it did them
>sequentially so each mailbox was only offline few a few minutes. With Ex2003
>it does them all at the same time so it takes ages.

It executes four moves concurrently. Trying to move mailboxs "all at
once" would be insane!

>Not sure if this is configurable as I only did it once a while ago. But I
>prefer the sequential method as it allowed me to do all the moves in the
>middle of the day while people are at lunch etc :)

Why wouldn't you prefer to schedule the ove to start at the end of the
business day and complete just before the start of the business day?
There's no need for you to stand and watch the individual mailboxes
move.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Moving license to a new computer

Safe to Move?

Access to multiple Exchange mailboxes from same Outlook Profile
We have two Exchange servers that are part of the same Active Directory domain and Exchange Organization. Users are able to add additional mailboxes to their Outlook (2003) profiles, but can only expand those located on the same server as their primary mailbox. All of the added mailboxes are visible in the Folder list, but any mailboxes located on the second server display the error "unable to expand folders." I know I've seen this work in the past where there were multiple Exchange servers, any thoughts? Exactly what rights did you give the user in order to add the extra ma...

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Moving Pages between two publications

Unable to add mailbox
Hi I have created two new users, with mailboxes. All the exchange tabs are visible through active directory in the user's properties. However, I can not send or receive mail for them. I can log into owa as one of them, but they are not receiving mail I send, nor is any mail they send going out. Opening an active directory window on the exchange server, none of these accounts show up. I see mailboxes for one of them in the first admin group (the one who I can log into OWA). All other users are working fine. Any thoughts on the problem? Could it be licensing, I am close to my m...

Moving Folder error

Moving between worksheets

Moving Cache
I have started a new computer with Vista Ultimate. I have outlook 2003 up and running and have copied my PST file from my old Windows XP Pro computer. I did have a lot of cached addresses which were not in my contacts. I copied the .NK2 files from the XP to the Vista computer, replacing the currect *.NK2 files in the roaming folder. The address do not appear when I try to address a new email. Am I missing something? Regards. Bob Is your profile name the same on the Vista Machine? Where did you put = the file? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ...

MRP V10 Move In and Move Out
Service Pack 1, has anyone seen any issues with the Move in and Move out not working for 'make' items when MRP regenerates? I seem to be able to create a situation, where if I change the MO Due date or change the Sales Order In House Date, (change one OR the other so they dont align with each other) MRP will suggest a new MO instead of moving the existing. MRP is suggesting MO's with no demand. For example: MO Due Date 07/1/2008 Sales Order In House Date 07/03/2008 If I change the Sales Order In House date to 06/27/2008 (and leave the MO alone) MRP will suggest a ne...

Disabled Mailboxes
We are migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. All of our user mailboxes have been succesfully migrated. We used ADC to create disabled mailboxes from our Exchange 5.5 then we ran ADMT to migrate NT 4.0 ID's and then we ran ADCClean to combine Migrated NT 4.0 ID with mailbox and sid history. This worked great. My issue is in addition to user mailboxes we have what we call group Mailboxes. In Exchange 5.5 these were associated with same NT 4.0 ID's as users mailbox. During migration process ADC realized you can only have a one to one relationship between mailboxes and crea...

Moving .pst to new machine
Need to move my data to a new machine temporarily. I copied my .pst file and opened it on the new machine. I have my email, and my primary calendar but I am wondering where my additional calendars are located. What is the best way to copy over those calendars, are they not part of the .pst? Also, what about Rules? Do they not get copied with the .pst? Lastly, how can I copy my BCM data to the new computer? Thanks for all your help. Interesting thing happened, just added a new appt to my calendar on the new machine, and suddenly my other calendars appeared. Very strang...

How to move a file?
When saving a document into a file I'd like to move the old version into a backup directory (and rename it using the date and time). Using CFile, as I am, I could copy it of course. But does the OS have a way to move a file without copying? Pat Crowe wrote: > When saving a document into a file I'd > like to move the old version into a backup directory > (and rename it using the date and time). > Using CFile, as I am, I could copy it of course. > > But does the OS have a way to move a file > without copying? You could try: BOOL MoveFileEx(LPCTSTR lpExistin...

moving from an older version to 2003
Hi, My old computer used Outlook 2000. The new one has 2003. How do I move the data from one PC to the other? Is it as simple as copying the *.pst file and opening it on the new PC? When I tried that it looked wrong because there were two sets of folders with the same names. Any help is appreciated. Phil That is the way I did it and it worked just fine. I then created a new 2003 format .pst and copied everything to it within Outlook 2003. Then I switched the folder under the Account settings to make the new .pst the folder to be used by 2003 and that worked fine also. "Phil&qu...

How to move CRM for Outlook database to different drive?
Is this possible? Would appreciate any help. Thanks! ...

an email is stuck in my inbox
I was sent an email from a fellow co-worker that was simply asking me to call someone. I cannot delete this email or move it to another folder. I get "Unknown Error" when trying to delete. I would like to delete this email but I do not know how as I have tried all the normal ways already. One thing that helps us when we have a situation like this is to "sneak up on it." Select the mesage above it, hold down control, and click on the message following it. Now you can hit Delete on your keyboard. I hope this works for you! >-----Original Message----- >I w...