Move mailbox provides server Netbios name instead of FQDN to Outlook

Our Exchange 2003 servers support a large population of remote and
roving users who are not connected to the corporate LAN/WAN and do not
login to the corporate domain.  Our users use a wide variety of
computers that are not under corporate control (home-based and
traveling users with personal laptops, etc).  All run Outlook 2003.
Some run RPC over HTTP and do not experience the problem described
here.  Straight MAPI clients experience the problem.

The problem is that in this situation, when a mailbox is moved from
one Exchange 2003 server to the other, the Outlook 2003 profiles are
not automatically updated.  If one CTRL-clicks the Outlook icon to get
the connection properties, it is clear to see that the old server is
providing the short (Netbios) name of the new server to the Outlook
client as a referral, and not the FQDN.  We do not have control over
these computers to add a domain to the DNS search list or make host
file changes.  Our only current option is to walk the users through
manually updating their Outlook profiles.

I have a couple of questions:

1.  Is this the expected behavior?

2.  Can anyone point me to detailed, authoritative documentation of
how the Outlook client is redirected to the new server after a mailbox
move?  For example, does it look at a particular AD property of the
user?

3.  Is there any way to configure Exchange 2003 to provide the FQDN of
the new server to the Outlook client instead of the short name?

Note that the FQDNs of our Exchange servers are resolvable through
public DNS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

On 19 Nov 2004 23:19:41 -0800, googlepost00@yahoo.com (not who you
think) wrote:

>Our Exchange 2003 servers support a large population of remote and
>roving users who are not connected to the corporate LAN/WAN and do not
>login to the corporate domain.  Our users use a wide variety of
>computers that are not under corporate control (home-based and
>traveling users with personal laptops, etc).  All run Outlook 2003.
>Some run RPC over HTTP and do not experience the problem described
>here.  Straight MAPI clients experience the problem.
>
>The problem is that in this situation, when a mailbox is moved from
>one Exchange 2003 server to the other, the Outlook 2003 profiles are
>not automatically updated.  If one CTRL-clicks the Outlook icon to get
>the connection properties, it is clear to see that the old server is
>providing the short (Netbios) name of the new server to the Outlook
>client as a referral, and not the FQDN.  We do not have control over
>these computers to add a domain to the DNS search list or make host
>file changes.  Our only current option is to walk the users through
>manually updating their Outlook profiles.
>
>I have a couple of questions:
>
>1.  Is this the expected behavior?

When a mapi client connects to its old exchange server, the Exch
Server should automatically send a referral update to the Outlook
client and it should re-direct it to its new server - even if you move
the mailbox across admin groups as long as you are in native mode.

>2.  Can anyone point me to detailed, authoritative documentation of
>how the Outlook client is redirected to the new server after a mailbox
>move?  For example, does it look at a particular AD property of the
>user?
 The Exch Server generates a MAPI referral to the new server and
client updates the profile information.

>3.  Is there any way to configure Exchange 2003 to provide the FQDN of
>the new server to the Outlook client instead of the short name?
Actually, by default, Outlook 2003 does resolve server names bu the
FQDN.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831609

May help to troubleshoot connectivty as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831051

>Note that the FQDNs of our Exchange servers are resolvable through
>public DNS.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

0
adavid (8731)
11/20/2004 2:38:02 PM
Andy,

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately it doesn't address my
question.  My question is what is the exact mechanism for referring
the Outlook client to the new server (is there a stub mailbox?  where
is it?  can I modify it?  etc).

More importantly, the referral provides ONLY the short (NETBIOS) name
of the new server in the referral, not the FQDN.  In my circumstance,
where a large population of users to not login to AD or use internal
DNS, this referral does not work because the client cannot resolve the
NETBIOS name of the new server.  I need to know if there is any way to
have Exchange 2003 provide the FQDN as the referral instead of the
NETBIOS name.

Thanks.

Andy David - Exchange MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:<mqkup0dlj5i5sab4fj8i4sounergna4s8l@4ax.com>...
> On 19 Nov 2004 23:19:41 -0800, googlepost00@yahoo.com (not who you
> think) wrote:
>
> >Our Exchange 2003 servers support a large population of remote and
> >roving users who are not connected to the corporate LAN/WAN and do not
> >login to the corporate domain.  Our users use a wide variety of
> >computers that are not under corporate control (home-based and
> >traveling users with personal laptops, etc).  All run Outlook 2003.
> >Some run RPC over HTTP and do not experience the problem described
> >here.  Straight MAPI clients experience the problem.
> >
> >The problem is that in this situation, when a mailbox is moved from
> >one Exchange 2003 server to the other, the Outlook 2003 profiles are
> >not automatically updated.  If one CTRL-clicks the Outlook icon to get
> >the connection properties, it is clear to see that the old server is
> >providing the short (Netbios) name of the new server to the Outlook
> >client as a referral, and not the FQDN.  We do not have control over
> >these computers to add a domain to the DNS search list or make host
> >file changes.  Our only current option is to walk the users through
> >manually updating their Outlook profiles.
> >
> >I have a couple of questions:
> >
> >1.  Is this the expected behavior?
>
> When a mapi client connects to its old exchange server, the Exch
> Server should automatically send a referral update to the Outlook
> client and it should re-direct it to its new server - even if you move
> the mailbox across admin groups as long as you are in native mode.
>

> >2.  Can anyone point me to detailed, authoritative documentation of
> >how the Outlook client is redirected to the new server after a mailbox
> >move?  For example, does it look at a particular AD property of the
> >user?
>  The Exch Server generates a MAPI referral to the new server and
> client updates the profile information.
>

> >3.  Is there any way to configure Exchange 2003 to provide the FQDN of
> >the new server to the Outlook client instead of the short name?
> Actually, by default, Outlook 2003 does resolve server names bu the
> FQDN.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831609
>
> May help to troubleshoot connectivty as well:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831051
>

> >Note that the FQDNs of our Exchange servers are resolvable through
> >public DNS.
> >
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
googlepost00@yahoo.com (not who you think) wrote:

>Thanks for your response, but unfortunately it doesn't address my
>question.  My question is what is the exact mechanism for referring
>the Outlook client to the new server

The directory is queried by the Outlook client, and the client updates
the information in the profile. The mechanism, IIRC, uses the NSPI,
either directly or through the DSProxy on the Exchange server.

>(is there a stub mailbox?

No. The information comes from the directory.

>where
>is it?

There needn't be a mailbox at all.

>can I modify it?  etc).

The only thing you can modify is value of the property in the
directory that the client queries for.

>More importantly, the referral provides ONLY the short (NETBIOS) name
>of the new server in the referral, not the FQDN.

I know the NetBIOS name was all that was used by Outlook -- prior to
Outlook 2003. But the FQDN is stored in the profile with OL2K3.

>In my circumstance,
>where a large population of users to not login to AD or use internal
>DNS, this referral does not work because the client cannot resolve the
>NETBIOS name of the new server.

That's true. But if the NetBIOS name and the host name are the same
then populating the DNS properties on the client with the name of your
domain will produce the desired result. The NetBIOS/hostname will be
combined with the domain name to produce the FQDN needed to locate the
server.

>I need to know if there is any way to
>have Exchange 2003 provide the FQDN as the referral instead of the
>NETBIOS name.

Exchange provides nothing. The NSPI (a directory service) is what
you're asking about. Exchange may act as a directory service proxy,
but it provides no information of its own.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message news:<h9o2q0dsl6e4q0e2l6mflseu6mqd151mtu@4ax.com>...
> That's true. But if the NetBIOS name and the host name are the same
> then populating the DNS properties on the client with the name of your
> domain will produce the desired result. The NetBIOS/hostname will be
> combined with the domain name to produce the FQDN needed to locate the
> server.
>
> >I need to know if there is any way to
> >have Exchange 2003 provide the FQDN as the referral instead of the
> >NETBIOS name.
>
> Exchange provides nothing. The NSPI (a directory service) is what
> you're asking about. Exchange may act as a directory service proxy,
> but it provides no information of its own.

Is this the only way to accomplish this goal? Is there no setting
withing NSPI to return the FQDN in the referral?
On 22 Nov 2004 07:53:39 -0800, mlnewman01-ggroups@yahoo.com (No Reply)
wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message news:<h9o2q0dsl6e4q0e2l6mflseu6mqd151mtu@4ax.com>...
>> That's true. But if the NetBIOS name and the host name are the same
>> then populating the DNS properties on the client with the name of your
>> domain will produce the desired result. The NetBIOS/hostname will be
>> combined with the domain name to produce the FQDN needed to locate the
>> server.
>>
>> >I need to know if there is any way to
>> >have Exchange 2003 provide the FQDN as the referral instead of the
>> >NETBIOS name.
>>
>> Exchange provides nothing. The NSPI (a directory service) is what
>> you're asking about. Exchange may act as a directory service proxy,
>> but it provides no information of its own.
>
>Is this the only way to accomplish this goal? Is there no setting
>withing NSPI to return the FQDN in the referral?

	Dont know. The client however does the name resolution and the
focus should be there. I do understand you have no control over these
clients, but I am not aware of anyway to set it from the server end.

0
adavid (8731)
11/23/2004 12:50:39 AM
mlnewman01-ggroups@yahoo.com (No Reply) wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message news:<h9o2q0dsl6e4q0e2l6mflseu6mqd151mtu@4ax.com>...
>> That's true. But if the NetBIOS name and the host name are the same
>> then populating the DNS properties on the client with the name of your
>> domain will produce the desired result. The NetBIOS/hostname will be
>> combined with the domain name to produce the FQDN needed to locate the
>> server.
>>
>> >I need to know if there is any way to
>> >have Exchange 2003 provide the FQDN as the referral instead of the
>> >NETBIOS name.
>>
>> Exchange provides nothing. The NSPI (a directory service) is what
>> you're asking about. Exchange may act as a directory service proxy,
>> but it provides no information of its own.
>
>Is this the only way to accomplish this goal?

The only reliable way is to make sure the client machines are
provisioned with either the correct domain name or with the list of
domain name suffixes you want the client to append to unadorned host
names.

>Is there no setting
>withing NSPI to return the FQDN in the referral?

It's the client that handles this. Outlook 2003 will save the fqdn.
The other (older) clients save only the host/netbios name.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Has anyone installed CRM 1.2 on a Win Server 2003 DC?
Hi, I want to know if we can install CRM 1.2 on a DC with Windows Server 2003 SP1? If yes, then has somebody faced any performance problem? Thanks and Regards, Harshad ...

outlook 2003 crashes when typing into to: line
whenever i create a new message, and type into either the to:, cc:, or bcc: line to enter the email address, outlook crashes. i don't get the microsoft crash message... and i've checked the event viewer, which shows no sign of a crash.. i've already done a clean reinstall of office 2003 any ideas? ...

Moving license to a new computer

Using Outlook to read from a https web account
Is it possible to add an email account with a https address? I have tried adding an account via Email Accounts => Add New Account => HTTP with no success ( I tried with and without the secure password option). I have successfully registered "standard" http accounts previously. TIA, -dan ...

Earthlink and Outlook Express
I use Earthlink and would like to download my folders and message to Outlook Express but I understand from earthink I cannot do that with folders. Does anyone know a way I could do that? Also, what are the steps, using Outlook to download a simple message from Earthlink? Also, what the steps if I want to open and save a folder from a floppy disk, from another email program? Sorry for so many questions. Thank you. Karen ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookF...

CRM appointment form instead of Outlook appointment form
In the outlook client, when I click the "Create New Appointment' button in the CRM toolbar, the Outlook appointment form appears. Is there any reason why it is not the CRM Appointment form that shows? Is there a way to use the CRM form instead? I know you can go in the "Activities in CRM" folder and create a new appointment from the Activities screen, but at this point, you no longer see the Outlook Calendar, so it is now very convenient, nor is creating a outlook appointment, clicking the track in CRM button and finally adding the missing field in the CRM appointme...

Outlook 2000 Autosignature displays HTML source in HTML mode
I had my graphical autosignature working for outgoing e- mails, but found this week that it suddenly began displaying HTML source code instead. I verified that I am still in HTML mode, but cannot get Outlook to display the signature properly. This seems to have happened at about the time that I received what appearde to be an RTF formatted e-mail, to which I responded. Any ideas as to what is going on and how I can restore HTML capabilities to my outgoing e-mails? Regards, Alex ...

Safe to Move?

Outlook 2003
Hello. I like to change the method of visualization images on Outlook 2003. There's a away to change this to be just like outlook express? For example, when a image (jpg) is attached on, currently I must double click on image to open it. I would like that appear on mail body like Express. Anyone can help-me ? Outlook is not Outlook Express. It does not have the native ability to display pictures inline as does OE. Outlook is primarily a business tool and businesses seldom have a need to display pictures in email. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook} Please post all followup questio...

Access to multiple Exchange mailboxes from same Outlook Profile
We have two Exchange servers that are part of the same Active Directory domain and Exchange Organization. Users are able to add additional mailboxes to their Outlook (2003) profiles, but can only expand those located on the same server as their primary mailbox. All of the added mailboxes are visible in the Folder list, but any mailboxes located on the second server display the error "unable to expand folders." I know I've seen this work in the past where there were multiple Exchange servers, any thoughts? Exactly what rights did you give the user in order to add the extra ma...

Moving Exchange 2000

Error class not registered in Outlook 07
Hello, I use MS Outlook 2007 (over XP SP2). Recently, whenever I start Ooutlook (first screen is Outlook Today) I'm getting an error message: "Run Time Error" plus "Error: Class not Registered". When I run Microsoft Script Editor, the breaks the flowing statement: "document.all.dateScript.innerHTML = window.external.GetDate();" However, when I'm not confirming the debug execution I can get into Outlook sending and receiving email normally. When I try to get into first screen (selecting top follder - Personal Folders) the error message is prompted ...

Windows 7, CRM Outlook client and wildcard certificates
Hi, We are hosting CRM 4.0 for several of our customer organizations. The CRM server is installed to IFD mode. We have installed several Windows 7 laptops with CRM Outlook clients in them. They have worked fine till last Wednesday when all CRM Outlook clients on these Windows 7 machines stopped from authenticating successfully to CRM. When trying to use the CRM with IE, there is first an SSL certificate warning shown which says: "The security certificate presented by this website was issues for a different website's address." I can continue by clicking a link in browser which ta...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Howto find multiple servers using TCP
I have to search my subnet to look for servers that are listening on port 30715. I am using one thread of a derived class of CAsyncSocket. I am using CEvents with a 200 milisecond timeout, if there is no connection within the 200 miliseconds, then I know there is no serer. However searching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 takes a long time. Is there a better way? I can't think of another way. But if the server program is your program, then I have a suggestion. I have a server that alot of clients connect to, and I really didn't want to have to input the server address in ever...

Error 0x800408FC with Outlook and Verizon DSL
Error: 0x800408FC The server name you entered cannot be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct. It is not possible to send or receive e-mails. Does anyone know what is likely to generate this message and how to fix it? Is it truly a server problem or could it be a line problem or something else? Help much appreciated. Frank frank1492 <frank1492@verizon.net> wrote: > Error: 0x800408FC The server name you entered cannot be found on the > network (it might be down temporarily). Please v...

which should I use: Outlook or ACCESS?
I'm a long-time ACT user and want to change. With 5,000 contacts I want to see contacts and their respective histories, todo's, calls, meetings, attachments, etc.. ... and i'd like to use template to write letters, emails, etc. I'm using Outlook for my currently over 5'500 contacts. If there's something I want to write about a contact and there's no such field (like history) I use the big comment field. If you need to do more things (what Outlook doesn't support) go with Access. Or you could start with Outlook and later export the data if you really ne...

Outlook 2003 rules
I had an email address - fname_lname@domain.com. My company got a new domain name, so now my email address is fnamelname@domain2.net. I will forever get emails to both addresses. I want all emails sent to fname_lname@domain.com to go to a specific folder. I've tried creating a rule manually, I've tried right clicking on the specific email and creating the rule from there. I've tried importing the rule from 2002. (The rule works just fine in 2002!) I'm unable to get it working. Anyone have any ideas? Create a rule that looks for the old e-mail address in the Interne...

Import Capacity on OutLook Express
When will Outlook Express give me the ability to import my mail messages from Incredimail into OutLook Express. It seems they only have some programs you can import from. Is there a way of doing this now? Can you export them from Incredimail to a text file, then import to OE? -- Kevin Hill 3NF Consulting www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm "David J. Thomson" <thomsondj7@telus.net> wrote in message news:05bd01c3694a$7b84c120$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When will Outlook Express give me the ability to import > my mail messages from Incredimail into OutLook Express. > It se...

Moving Pages between two publications