Move Mailbox Fails - Event ID 1008

Please help, my brain hurts reading the million of MS articles that do not
apply to my issue.

What i have:
(1) Exchange 5.5 Server (1) Exchange 2003SP2 server (Mixed Mode) - Obviously
migrating all mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003...  The correct version of ADC is
all set up and working fine, so i believe...

Problem:
Cannot move mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003 server, i can however move a mailbox
from 2003 to 5.5.  Event ID as follows:
Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	MSExchangeAdmin
Event Category:	Move Mailbox
Event ID:	1008
Date:		7/6/2006
Time:		5:21:35 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	XMAIL
Unable to move mailbox 'Test 2'.
Error: Cannot complete the operation because the object 'test2' does not
have the attribute 'homeMDB' set or because you do not have permissions to
read it.

Using ADSI Edit i can see that the 'homeMDB' attribute on the user is
pointing to my exchange 2003 server.  When i move this mailbox to 5.5 and
check the users attribute it changes pointing to my 5.5 server, perfect.
When i attempt to move that mailbox back to 2003 i get that event message and
the mailbox fails to move.  I guess that since i have the homeMDB attribute
set then my problem is permissions?  So my question is what account,
services, mailboxes are invoved in a mailbox move and what permissions do i
need to check?

Thanks,

Ray

0
RayT (9)

Is the SRS running correctly and replicating changes to the 2003 server?

Are you using ESM to move the mailbox and not the Exchange 5.5 Admin.exe?

Are you /sure/ the ADC is working?

"RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help, my brain hurts reading the million of MS articles that do not
> apply to my issue.
>
> What i have:
> (1) Exchange 5.5 Server (1) Exchange 2003SP2 server (Mixed Mode) -
> Obviously
> migrating all mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003...  The correct version of ADC is
> all set up and working fine, so i believe...
>
> Problem:
> Cannot move mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003 server, i can however move a
> mailbox
> from 2003 to 5.5.  Event ID as follows:
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: MSExchangeAdmin
> Event Category: Move Mailbox
> Event ID: 1008
> Date: 7/6/2006
> Time: 5:21:35 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: XMAIL
> Unable to move mailbox 'Test 2'.
> Error: Cannot complete the operation because the object 'test2' does not
> have the attribute 'homeMDB' set or because you do not have permissions to
> read it.
>
> Using ADSI Edit i can see that the 'homeMDB' attribute on the user is
> pointing to my exchange 2003 server.  When i move this mailbox to 5.5 and
> check the users attribute it changes pointing to my 5.5 server, perfect.
> When i attempt to move that mailbox back to 2003 i get that event message
> and
> the mailbox fails to move.  I guess that since i have the homeMDB
> attribute
> set then my problem is permissions?  So my question is what account,
> services, mailboxes are invoved in a mailbox move and what permissions do
> need to check?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

0
awebb7472 (650)
7/7/2006 3:33:38 AM
Ray,

One thing you can do is, enable logging within the ADC. Set it to maximum
and you'll be able to log all activity to the system event viewer when
replicating. It is written onto the system where the ADC is installed. That
should give you an idea if the ADC is working correctly.

Being that this is a test user account, I'm assuming the account you are
using to move mailboxes have the appropriate rights delegated to them.

Chris

"andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
> Is the SRS running correctly and replicating changes to the 2003 server?
>
> Are you using ESM to move the mailbox and not the Exchange 5.5 Admin.exe?
>
> Are you /sure/ the ADC is working?
>

> "RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Please help, my brain hurts reading the million of MS articles that do
>> not
>> apply to my issue.
>>
>> What i have:
>> (1) Exchange 5.5 Server (1) Exchange 2003SP2 server (Mixed Mode) -
>> Obviously
>> migrating all mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003...  The correct version of ADC
>> is
>> all set up and working fine, so i believe...
>>
>> Problem:
>> Cannot move mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003 server, i can however move a
>> mailbox
>> from 2003 to 5.5.  Event ID as follows:
>> Event Type: Error
>> Event Source: MSExchangeAdmin
>> Event Category: Move Mailbox
>> Event ID: 1008
>> Date: 7/6/2006
>> Time: 5:21:35 PM
>> User: N/A
>> Computer: XMAIL
>> Unable to move mailbox 'Test 2'.
>> Error: Cannot complete the operation because the object 'test2' does not
>> have the attribute 'homeMDB' set or because you do not have permissions
>> read it.
>>
>> Using ADSI Edit i can see that the 'homeMDB' attribute on the user is
>> pointing to my exchange 2003 server.  When i move this mailbox to 5.5 and
>> check the users attribute it changes pointing to my 5.5 server, perfect.
>> When i attempt to move that mailbox back to 2003 i get that event message
>> and
>> the mailbox fails to move.  I guess that since i have the homeMDB
>> attribute
>> set then my problem is permissions?  So my question is what account,
>> services, mailboxes are invoved in a mailbox move and what permissions do
>> need to check?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray

Thanks for your reponses...

Funny questions, is your SRS and ADC working correctly.  I guess they are,
no event errors.  I'm running another test as follows:

-Mailbox Setup:
Created new user in 2003 Active Directory - No mailbox
Created new Mailbox on Exchange 5.5 - Associated new 5.5 mailbox with this
new User

-ADSI Edit
I then ADSI edited into my AD and checked the new users attributes, this new
user has homeMDB/homeMTA pointed to the Exchagne 5.5 server, i guess this
means that my ADS user connector is working correctly?

-MailBox Move Attempt 1-
From the Exchange 2003 Server i go into Active Directory Users & Computers.
I right click on the User and choose Exchange Tasks, i then choose Move
Mailbox.  On the next page i choose Same Adminstrative Group Move.  On the
MailBox Store: First Storage group/Mailbox Store (2003Exchange).  All those
move setting look perfect.
-Fails with error:Cannot complete the operation because the object 'test05'
does not have the attribute 'homeMDB' set or because you do not have
permissions to read it.

-MailBox Move Attempt 2-
From the Exchange 5.5 System System Administration Console i clicked the
mailbox and clicked tools/move mailbox.  I select the Exchange2003 server and
the mailbox move starts and then fails.
-Fails with error:The action could not be completed because the Microsoft
Exchange Information Store service is Unavailable.  Be sure the service is
running and you have network connectivity to the Micorsoft Exchange Server
Computer.
Microsoft Exchange Information Store
ID no: c1040af1

Other Information
-My ADC is installed on my Exchange 2003SP2 server.
-I can use the Exchange System Manager on both the 5.5 and 2003 servers and
 browse into the oposite server and see all mailboxes fine.
-I can create a 2003Exchange mailbox and move it to the 5.5 server fine, i
cannot move it back to the 2003Exchange server.

Ray

"Chris Calderon" wrote:

> Ray,
>
> One thing you can do is, enable logging within the ADC. Set it to maximum
> and you'll be able to log all activity to the system event viewer when
> replicating. It is written onto the system where the ADC is installed. That
> should give you an idea if the ADC is working correctly.
>
> Being that this is a test user account, I'm assuming the account you are
> using to move mailboxes have the appropriate rights delegated to them.
>
> Chris
>

> "andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
> > Is the SRS running correctly and replicating changes to the 2003 server?
> >
> > Are you using ESM to move the mailbox and not the Exchange 5.5 Admin.exe?
> >
> > Are you /sure/ the ADC is working?
> >

> > "RayT" <RayT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Please help, my brain hurts reading the million of MS articles that do
> >> not
> >> apply to my issue.
> >>
> >> What i have:
> >> (1) Exchange 5.5 Server (1) Exchange 2003SP2 server (Mixed Mode) -
> >> Obviously
> >> migrating all mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003...  The correct version of ADC
> >> is
> >> all set up and working fine, so i believe...
> >>
> >> Problem:
> >> Cannot move mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003 server, i can however move a
> >> mailbox
> >> from 2003 to 5.5.  Event ID as follows:
> >> Event Type: Error
> >> Event Source: MSExchangeAdmin
> >> Event Category: Move Mailbox
> >> Event ID: 1008
> >> Date: 7/6/2006
> >> Time: 5:21:35 PM
> >> User: N/A
> >> Computer: XMAIL
> >> Unable to move mailbox 'Test 2'.
> >> Error: Cannot complete the operation because the object 'test2' does not
> >> have the attribute 'homeMDB' set or because you do not have permissions
> >> read it.
> >>
> >> Using ADSI Edit i can see that the 'homeMDB' attribute on the user is
> >> pointing to my exchange 2003 server.  When i move this mailbox to 5.5 and
> >> check the users attribute it changes pointing to my 5.5 server, perfect.
> >> When i attempt to move that mailbox back to 2003 i get that event message
> >> and
> >> the mailbox fails to move.  I guess that since i have the homeMDB
> >> attribute
> >> set then my problem is permissions?  So my question is what account,
> >> services, mailboxes are invoved in a mailbox move and what permissions do
> >> need to check?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Ray

0
RayT (9)
7/7/2006 3:52:02 PM
Attached is a link that references inconsistencies within the directory. In
Exchange 5.5 Administrator, you can use these steps update the 5.5
directory. The second thing is to update the for an SRS update.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247767/en-us

Depending on how the Exchange 5.5 directory is configured and the location
of the ADC, the problem could be in the sync of the two directories. What I
typically do is, modify an attribute (for example the notes field) in the
5.5 directory and validate it reflecting within the AD object. (and vice
versa).

Something simple as this can possibly eliminate the ADC replication.

Chris

> [...]
> cannot move it back to the 2003Exchange server.
>
> Ray
>
> "Chris Calderon" wrote:
>
>> Ray,
>>
>> One thing you can do is, enable logging within the ADC. Set it to maximum
>> and you'll be able to log all activity to the system event viewer when
>> replicating. It is written onto the system where the ADC is installed.
>> That
>> should give you an idea if the ADC is working correctly.
>>
>> Being that this is a test user account, I'm assuming the account you are
>> using to move mailboxes have the appropriate rights delegated to them.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> "andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
>> > Is the SRS running correctly and replicating changes to the 2003
>> > server?
>> >
>> > Are you using ESM to move the mailbox and not the Exchange 5.5

1. you can't initiate the move from 5.5.  that will always fail.
2. have you turned up the logging on the ADC and SRS?  sounds like they're
working, but it won't hurt to increase the log detail.  If you view the
mailbox in the SRS by launching admin.exe in raw mode, then selecting the
Exchange 2003 server, can you see the homeMDB property?
3. permissions can be tricky.  does the account you're using on the AD side
have admin rights on the Exchange 5.5 side?  If you create a second mailbox
store on the Exchange 2003 server, can the account move mailboxes between
the two stores?

> [...]
> cannot move it back to the 2003Exchange server.
>
> Ray
>
> "Chris Calderon" wrote:
>
>> Ray,
>>
>> One thing you can do is, enable logging within the ADC. Set it to maximum
>> and you'll be able to log all activity to the system event viewer when
>> replicating. It is written onto the system where the ADC is installed.
>> That
>> should give you an idea if the ADC is working correctly.
>>
>> Being that this is a test user account, I'm assuming the account you are
>> using to move mailboxes have the appropriate rights delegated to them.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> "andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
>> > Is the SRS running correctly and replicating changes to the 2003
>> > server?
>> >
>> > Are you using ESM to move the mailbox and not the Exchange 5.5

0
awebb7472 (650)

Moving license to a new computer

Outlook fails to actually "exit"
Hi all. I'm running Outlook 2003 on XP Pro, and recently when I exit outlook either via the X in the corner or File -> Exit, the program disappears from my desktop and systray, but actually remains TSR as a running process. This is a new behavior/problem and is really causing me headaches. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a way to correct it? I tried running the re-install/repair process with my Office 2003 installation CD, but I'm getting an error saying that the installation source can't be found (????? - isn't it on the CD in the drive??) so I dont' know ...

Safe to Move?

Access to multiple Exchange mailboxes from same Outlook Profile
We have two Exchange servers that are part of the same Active Directory domain and Exchange Organization. Users are able to add additional mailboxes to their Outlook (2003) profiles, but can only expand those located on the same server as their primary mailbox. All of the added mailboxes are visible in the Folder list, but any mailboxes located on the second server display the error "unable to expand folders." I know I've seen this work in the past where there were multiple Exchange servers, any thoughts? Exactly what rights did you give the user in order to add the extra ma...

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Moving Pages between two publications

Unable to add mailbox
Hi I have created two new users, with mailboxes. All the exchange tabs are visible through active directory in the user's properties. However, I can not send or receive mail for them. I can log into owa as one of them, but they are not receiving mail I send, nor is any mail they send going out. Opening an active directory window on the exchange server, none of these accounts show up. I see mailboxes for one of them in the first admin group (the one who I can log into OWA). All other users are working fine. Any thoughts on the problem? Could it be licensing, I am close to my m...

Backup problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C69924.BB0C5DA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Folks: We recently had a hardware failure that required new hardware, = reinstalling E2k3 and restoring from tape. That all worked fine! I reinstalled Exchange 2003, SP1 and restored from tape with the able = assistance of MS Product support on the phone. They just walked through = the steps but we wanted to make sure the recovery went fine. We had originally had Exchange 2000 installed, then upgrad...

Moving Folder error

Moving between worksheets

Moving Cache
I have started a new computer with Vista Ultimate. I have outlook 2003 up and running and have copied my PST file from my old Windows XP Pro computer. I did have a lot of cached addresses which were not in my contacts. I copied the .NK2 files from the XP to the Vista computer, replacing the currect *.NK2 files in the roaming folder. The address do not appear when I try to address a new email. Am I missing something? Regards. Bob Is your profile name the same on the Vista Machine? Where did you put = the file? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ...

MRP V10 Move In and Move Out
Service Pack 1, has anyone seen any issues with the Move in and Move out not working for 'make' items when MRP regenerates? I seem to be able to create a situation, where if I change the MO Due date or change the Sales Order In House Date, (change one OR the other so they dont align with each other) MRP will suggest a new MO instead of moving the existing. MRP is suggesting MO's with no demand. For example: MO Due Date 07/1/2008 Sales Order In House Date 07/03/2008 If I change the Sales Order In House date to 06/27/2008 (and leave the MO alone) MRP will suggest a ne...

Disabled Mailboxes
We are migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. All of our user mailboxes have been succesfully migrated. We used ADC to create disabled mailboxes from our Exchange 5.5 then we ran ADMT to migrate NT 4.0 ID's and then we ran ADCClean to combine Migrated NT 4.0 ID with mailbox and sid history. This worked great. My issue is in addition to user mailboxes we have what we call group Mailboxes. In Exchange 5.5 these were associated with same NT 4.0 ID's as users mailbox. During migration process ADC realized you can only have a one to one relationship between mailboxes and crea...

Moving .pst to new machine
Need to move my data to a new machine temporarily. I copied my .pst file and opened it on the new machine. I have my email, and my primary calendar but I am wondering where my additional calendars are located. What is the best way to copy over those calendars, are they not part of the .pst? Also, what about Rules? Do they not get copied with the .pst? Lastly, how can I copy my BCM data to the new computer? Thanks for all your help. Interesting thing happened, just added a new appt to my calendar on the new machine, and suddenly my other calendars appeared. Very strang...

How to move a file?
When saving a document into a file I'd like to move the old version into a backup directory (and rename it using the date and time). Using CFile, as I am, I could copy it of course. But does the OS have a way to move a file without copying? Pat Crowe wrote: > When saving a document into a file I'd > like to move the old version into a backup directory > (and rename it using the date and time). > Using CFile, as I am, I could copy it of course. > > But does the OS have a way to move a file > without copying? You could try: BOOL MoveFileEx(LPCTSTR lpExistin...

moving from an older version to 2003
Hi, My old computer used Outlook 2000. The new one has 2003. How do I move the data from one PC to the other? Is it as simple as copying the *.pst file and opening it on the new PC? When I tried that it looked wrong because there were two sets of folders with the same names. Any help is appreciated. Phil That is the way I did it and it worked just fine. I then created a new 2003 format .pst and copied everything to it within Outlook 2003. Then I switched the folder under the Account settings to make the new .pst the folder to be used by 2003 and that worked fine also. "Phil&qu...