MOVE MAILBOX ADVICE PLEASE: Problem occurs when moving mailbox from Exchange 5.5 Server to another Exchange 5.5 Server

I would be very grateful if someone could assist in the following
problem:

We recently bought a new server to update our existing Exchange 5.5
server setup. The old server has been running for a while now, the new
server is now also an Exchange 5.5 server. We are able to use "Move
Mailbox" on the old server to move an account to the new server. From
the moved mailbox, we are able to check the email, send email out to
everyone on this server, the internet, and the old server. The problem
we are having only appears when the newly moved mailbox is expecting
an email. For example, if an email is sent to the newly moved mailbox
on the new server from a mailbox on the old server, the email never
arrives.

I have tried creating a new mailbox on the new server (instead of
using move mailbox). This works almost perfectly, email is sent and
received by all with no problems - Except the newly moved mailbox!
(The mailbox that has just been moved to the new server from the old
exchange server still does not receive emails. I can send out emails
to all from the 'moved' account but cannot recieve from anyone.

There is obviously a connection there between the two servers as all
mailboxes work on both servers for sending emails. On the new exchange
5.5 server, the mailbox that is created from scratch works perfectly.
However, its a different story for those mailboxes that are moved from
the old server to the new one.

Thanks for reading.. I hope someone is able to help!

If you have any queries please let me know.

Thanks again!
0
sao (1)

Check the SMTP Site addressing, and the smtp address on the mailboxes you
moved.
--
hth,
SusanV

"sao" <sao@kha.org.uk> wrote in message
> I would be very grateful if someone could assist in the following
> problem:
>
> We recently bought a new server to update our existing Exchange 5.5
> server setup. The old server has been running for a while now, the new
> server is now also an Exchange 5.5 server. We are able to use "Move
> Mailbox" on the old server to move an account to the new server. From
> the moved mailbox, we are able to check the email, send email out to
> everyone on this server, the internet, and the old server. The problem
> we are having only appears when the newly moved mailbox is expecting
> an email. For example, if an email is sent to the newly moved mailbox
> on the new server from a mailbox on the old server, the email never
> arrives.
>
> I have tried creating a new mailbox on the new server (instead of
> using move mailbox). This works almost perfectly, email is sent and
> received by all with no problems - Except the newly moved mailbox!
> (The mailbox that has just been moved to the new server from the old
> exchange server still does not receive emails. I can send out emails
> to all from the 'moved' account but cannot recieve from anyone.
>
> There is obviously a connection there between the two servers as all
> mailboxes work on both servers for sending emails. On the new exchange
> 5.5 server, the mailbox that is created from scratch works perfectly.
> However, its a different story for those mailboxes that are moved from
> the old server to the new one.
>
> Thanks for reading.. I hope someone is able to help!
>
> If you have any queries please let me know.
>
> Thanks again!

0
svanallen (210)
1/9/2004 4:15:21 PM
sao@kha.org.uk (sao) wrote:

>I would be very grateful if someone could assist in the following
>problem:
>
>We recently bought a new server to update our existing Exchange 5.5
>server setup. The old server has been running for a while now, the new
>server is now also an Exchange 5.5 server. We are able to use "Move
>Mailbox" on the old server to move an account to the new server. From
>the moved mailbox, we are able to check the email, send email out to
>everyone on this server, the internet, and the old server. The problem
>we are having only appears when the newly moved mailbox is expecting
>an email. For example, if an email is sent to the newly moved mailbox
>on the new server from a mailbox on the old server, the email never
>arrives.

Could be a directory replication problem. When you use the 5.5 admin
program and connect to the old server, look at the "Server recipients"
view. Is the moved mailbox still there? Now connect to the new server
and do the same thing. Is the mailbox there, too? Or do you see the
mailbox only on one server (which one)?

Then look at the "Mailbox resources" while connected to each server.
Does the mailbox show up on both servers, or just one? Is the mailbox
on the same server as the directory thinks it is?

Have a look at this KB article:

XADM: How to Prevent Mail Loss When Move Mailbox Operation Is
Unsuccessful [252869]

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Moving license to a new computer

MDBdata folder problem
I came in this morning and the Exchange 2000 server would not start. I noticed that the MDBdata folder contained 50gig of data, so I deleted all the .log files that started with E and restarted the Exchange server. Everything seems to be working fine. I then read in this newsgroup that it is a bad idea to delete those files manually. I have two questions: 1. Will I run into problems now that I have deleted those files manually? 2. a 5 meg log file is created every 2 minutes. Is there a way I can reduce the frequency of these log files? thanks for your advice. hk "Hasan Kachal&...

Safe to Move?

Access to multiple Exchange mailboxes from same Outlook Profile
We have two Exchange servers that are part of the same Active Directory domain and Exchange Organization. Users are able to add additional mailboxes to their Outlook (2003) profiles, but can only expand those located on the same server as their primary mailbox. All of the added mailboxes are visible in the Folder list, but any mailboxes located on the second server display the error "unable to expand folders." I know I've seen this work in the past where there were multiple Exchange servers, any thoughts? Exactly what rights did you give the user in order to add the extra ma...

Moving Exchange 2000

Exchange 5.5 clients cannot see the new user fr Outlook Global Add
Hi to All, Please we need help! We have 4 branches with different domain. 2 branch is using Exchange 5.5 and 2 others are using Exchange 2000. Our Problem is when we configured one account in Exchange 2000 it can't be seen in 2 Exchange 5.5 Global Address. This mail is use for internal use only and it is not connected to internet. Thanks in Advanced! Emslan Did you configure Active Directory Connector to synchronize between your AD and Exchange 5.5 directory? Exchange 2000 uses AD for its directory store but Exchange 5.5 uses its own directory. "emslan" <emslan@d...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Moving Pages between two publications

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Howto find multiple servers using TCP
I have to search my subnet to look for servers that are listening on port 30715. I am using one thread of a derived class of CAsyncSocket. I am using CEvents with a 200 milisecond timeout, if there is no connection within the 200 miliseconds, then I know there is no serer. However searching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 takes a long time. Is there a better way? I can't think of another way. But if the server program is your program, then I have a suggestion. I have a server that alot of clients connect to, and I really didn't want to have to input the server address in ever...

Unable to add mailbox
Hi I have created two new users, with mailboxes. All the exchange tabs are visible through active directory in the user's properties. However, I can not send or receive mail for them. I can log into owa as one of them, but they are not receiving mail I send, nor is any mail they send going out. Opening an active directory window on the exchange server, none of these accounts show up. I see mailboxes for one of them in the first admin group (the one who I can log into OWA). All other users are working fine. Any thoughts on the problem? Could it be licensing, I am close to my m...

Phone Number Normalization Problem
We are using the Avaya CRM Integration Client for CRM. It has some dialing and screen pop capabilities that we need to use. For the Avaya CRM Integration Client the phone numbers must be formatted in the following format: XXXXXXXXXX We have created some JavaScript code to re-format phone numbers with the onChange event. The event works fine. It only works, however, if we resave the record. Then we only have about 60-120 seconds to dial or receive a call before CRM (we think it's actually the Microsoft Outlook synchronization) reformats the phone number and causes the CRM integration piec...

most of the programs on my computer won't boot. Help please.
I rebooted my computer this afternoon, and it reboots enough to show my online connection, but nothing else on my boot screen. When I click on any program or shortcut I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You many not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The only way I can access my browser is by going to the control panel and clicking on windows update. I noticed in one of my attempts to get everything to boot, that the date was saying 4/4/2010, but I went in boot with c prompt (or whatever it's called) and did ...

Outlook is not able to connect to my SMTP server
I use Outlook2003 for email. When I try to check my email from a POP3 server, port 110, outlook says server not found. But, the server responds to a ping. The same proble repeats with netscape mail. I am inside a LAN with a proxy, and an internal SMTP server. No other comp is facing this problem. Is this some sort of a virus attack? Please help. Some proxy software does intercept and handle POP3/SMTP calls. For example, Microsoft Proxy 2.0 installs a client on the clients machine and needs to be configured to allow POP3/SMTP calls. Could your proxy solution be interfering? "abk&qu...

Problem with EDIT_COPY
What would disable the EDIT_COPY (Ctrl+C) function of an edit control? I have one dialog box based program with standard editbox that works and another dialog based program with standard editbox that doesn't. ie one will copy contents to the clipboard and the other will not. Both are enabled and not read only. Sorry, nevermind, as soon as I sent this I saw the problem. "mao" <NONOSPAM123@@datasouth.com> wrote in message news:eA%238wtZvDHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > What would disable the EDIT_COPY (Ctrl+C) function of an edit control? I > have one dialog box b...

Moving Folder error

Money / MSN Billpay Password problem
I followed the recent email instructions regarding changing my Billpay password. I can sign in to MSN Billpay on the web without any problem, but Money 2004 will not accept that password to access Billpay from within the software. I keep getting an error message that the password is incorrect when I know it's not. Things worked fine before this upgrade to Billpay. I've been on the phone and email with four different support reps to no avail and I've searched these posts. Any ideas? When you say "access Billpay from within the software", are you referring to Onl...

Moving between worksheets