Move folder to new tree in Ex2003

I've been asked to move one of the public folders to a new tree on the same
server. No particular reason, just seemed like a good idea at the time.

I only have one server, and it is used lightly.

Is this possible? What is the best way?

(david)

0
david

?

Are you sure that you mean a different/new public folder tree?  There can
only be one MAPI-type public folder tree per server, and creating a new
public folder tree would mean having a separate public folder store.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"david epsom dot com dot au" <david@epsomdotcomdotau> wrote in message
> I've been asked to move one of the public folders to a new tree on the
> same server. No particular reason, just seemed like a good idea at the
> time.
>
> I only have one server, and it is used lightly.
>
> Is this possible? What is the best way?
>
> (david)

0
Ben
7/18/2006 4:35:19 AM
I think I may have two trees (because I have Enterprise
Server? A strange licensing deal that has nothing to do
with the amount of mail we have).

There seems to be a separate public folder store in each
tree. One of the public folder stores is empty. The
tree that is in use is a 'mapi clients' tree: the tree
that is empty is a 'general purpose' tree.

I should add that AFAIK, the 'aim' of the exercise is
to have two separate folder databases on the server. (There
are already 3 mailbox databases). If there is a different
way to achieve that, I could do that instead.

The three mailbox storage groups are called "Mailbox store",
"NoBackup" and "Offline". The second (empty) folder
store is in the "NoBackup" storage group. I don't know
what effect this has on the users in the "NoBackup"
group, since they seldom use the system, wouldn't notice
the public folders anyway, and if they did notice, wouldn't
tell me.

(david)

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:%23qpbSOiqGHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> ?
>
> Are you sure that you mean a different/new public folder tree?  There can
> only be one MAPI-type public folder tree per server, and creating a new
> public folder tree would mean having a separate public folder store.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "david epsom dot com dot au" <david@epsomdotcomdotau> wrote in message
>> I've been asked to move one of the public folders to a new tree on the
>> same server. No particular reason, just seemed like a good idea at the
>> time.
>>
>> I only have one server, and it is used lightly.
>>
>> Is this possible? What is the best way?
>>
>> (david)

0
david
7/18/2006 9:07:37 AM
Outlook clients cannot access the General Purpose PF tree, so it's
usefulness is highly questionable to most companies.

Unfortunately, you can only have one Public Folder Database associated with
the default tree.  In order to have more than one Public Folder Database,
you have to have a 2nd tree (which it appears you do).

I don't know of a way to achieve what you are wanting (and still have
Outlook clients be able to access it).

--

>I think I may have two trees (because I have Enterprise
> Server? A strange licensing deal that has nothing to do
> with the amount of mail we have).
>
> There seems to be a separate public folder store in each
> tree. One of the public folder stores is empty. The
> tree that is in use is a 'mapi clients' tree: the tree
> that is empty is a 'general purpose' tree.
>

> I should add that AFAIK, the 'aim' of the exercise is
> to have two separate folder databases on the server. (There
> are already 3 mailbox databases). If there is a different
> way to achieve that, I could do that instead.
>
> The three mailbox storage groups are called "Mailbox store",
> "NoBackup" and "Offline". The second (empty) folder
> store is in the "NoBackup" storage group. I don't know
> what effect this has on the users in the "NoBackup"
> group, since they seldom use the system, wouldn't notice
> the public folders anyway, and if they did notice, wouldn't
> tell me.
>
> (david)
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:%23qpbSOiqGHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> ?
>>
>> Are you sure that you mean a different/new public folder tree?  There can
>> only be one MAPI-type public folder tree per server, and creating a new
>> public folder tree would mean having a separate public folder store.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>

>> "david epsom dot com dot au" <david@epsomdotcomdotau> wrote in message
>>> I've been asked to move one of the public folders to a new tree on the
>>> same server. No particular reason, just seemed like a good idea at the
>>> time.
>>>
>>> I only have one server, and it is used lightly.
>>>
>>> Is this possible? What is the best way?
>>>
>>> (david)

0
Ben
7/18/2006 3:50:04 PM
Thanx

:~) I don't think it's going to have a major effect on productivity here :~)

in message news:OcscWHoqGHA.644@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Outlook clients cannot access the General Purpose PF tree, so it's
> usefulness is highly questionable to most companies.
>
> Unfortunately, you can only have one Public Folder Database associated
> with the default tree.  In order to have more than one Public Folder
> Database, you have to have a 2nd tree (which it appears you do).
>
> I don't know of a way to achieve what you are wanting (and still have
> Outlook clients be able to access it).
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>

> "david epsom dot com dot au" <david@epsomdotcomdotau> wrote in message
>>I think I may have two trees (because I have Enterprise
>> Server? A strange licensing deal that has nothing to do
>> with the amount of mail we have).
>>
>> There seems to be a separate public folder store in each
>> tree. One of the public folder stores is empty. The
>> tree that is in use is a 'mapi clients' tree: the tree
>> that is empty is a 'general purpose' tree.
>>

>> I should add that AFAIK, the 'aim' of the exercise is
>> to have two separate folder databases on the server. (There
>> are already 3 mailbox databases). If there is a different
>> way to achieve that, I could do that instead.
>>
>> The three mailbox storage groups are called "Mailbox store",
>> "NoBackup" and "Offline". The second (empty) folder
>> store is in the "NoBackup" storage group. I don't know
>> what effect this has on the users in the "NoBackup"
>> group, since they seldom use the system, wouldn't notice
>> the public folders anyway, and if they did notice, wouldn't
>> tell me.
>>
>> (david)
>>

>> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom>
>> wrote in message news:%23qpbSOiqGHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Are you sure that you mean a different/new public folder tree?  There
>>> can only be one MAPI-type public folder tree per server, and creating a
>>> new public folder tree would mean having a separate public folder store.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ben Winzenz
>>> Exchange MVP
>>> MessageOne
>>> Read my blog!
>>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>>

>>> "david epsom dot com dot au" <david@epsomdotcomdotau> wrote in message

0
david

Junk Email Folder Outlook 2003
Hi, I started sending spam to my junk email folder. Now all my email is going to junk email. Even Safe Senders go to Junk Email. Is there away to change it so everything don't go to Junk Email? Thanks John Yeah, double check your settings, make sure your contacts are NOT set to be sent to the junk mail folder... >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I started sending spam to my junk email folder. Now all >my email is going to junk email. Even Safe Senders go to >Junk Email. Is there away to change it so everything >don't go to Junk Email? > >...

MDBdata folder problem
I came in this morning and the Exchange 2000 server would not start. I noticed that the MDBdata folder contained 50gig of data, so I deleted all the .log files that started with E and restarted the Exchange server. Everything seems to be working fine. I then read in this newsgroup that it is a bad idea to delete those files manually. I have two questions: 1. Will I run into problems now that I have deleted those files manually? 2. a 5 meg log file is created every 2 minutes. Is there a way I can reduce the frequency of these log files? thanks for your advice. hk "Hasan Kachal&...

Moving license to a new computer

reference a cell AND its format in a new cell
Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want A2 to show not only the 5 but I also want it to preserve and show the same formatting that was applied to A1. Thanks in advance for the help. Formulas don't do this kind of thing. You could copy|Paste???? TiChNi wrote: > > Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any > formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in > red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want ...

migrated outlook folder
i've just rebuilt a computer for a client using Office XP. I usually copy and transfer the outlook folder to safe location then in the new computer recreate her account in outlook xp slurp all her mail again (because all mail is duplicated on the server (POP3)). once this is done, i get the original outlook folder and replace the new one. this usually gives me a message stating that there has been changes to outlook and it will begin to take effect. My questions are: 1. is this the proper way to migrate pst/outlook folder? 2. how can i preserv cached settings such as auto- c...

Public Folders replication #2
I'm trying to move our Exchange Public Foldersfrom an Exchange 2003 (SP1) to a new Exchange 2003 (SP2) server, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've added the new server to the replica tab for all the public folders, but they never move to the new server... Any suggestions? Thanks I'm having the same problems, try the following: - Check App logs on servers to see if Replication Messages are being sent/recieved - Make sure Connector allows system messages to pass through - Use message tracker to track messages (you should see messages being sent between these...

Safe to Move?

Creating a new worksheet from a template
I would like to press a button on one worksheet and create a ne worksheet that conforms to a template. However: 1) this is for a series of people who do not work centrally and who ar not technical i.e. the solution needs to be self-contained within m workbook and not involve the creation of xlst templates that have t sit in a certain place on the hard drive. 2) These worksheets will have a series of fields that relate t 'activities'. The user can chose to spawn worksheets for one or mor activities. I would like a summary sheet to add all the activit information from as many activit...

Moving Exchange 2000

Exchange 5.5 clients cannot see the new user fr Outlook Global Add
Hi to All, Please we need help! We have 4 branches with different domain. 2 branch is using Exchange 5.5 and 2 others are using Exchange 2000. Our Problem is when we configured one account in Exchange 2000 it can't be seen in 2 Exchange 5.5 Global Address. This mail is use for internal use only and it is not connected to internet. Thanks in Advanced! Emslan Did you configure Active Directory Connector to synchronize between your AD and Exchange 5.5 directory? Exchange 2000 uses AD for its directory store but Exchange 5.5 uses its own directory. "emslan" <emslan@d...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Moving Pages between two publications

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

password protection on email folder
I have a folder which I transfer all privet email which does not belong to the business, can I put a password on that folder so anyone looking in my comuter should not be able to open it? Jacob Not that I'm aware of. I would suggest getting a private email address (Yahoo or Hotmail) and have private emails sent there. hth DDS "Jacob" <info@kohn.ca> wrote in message news:%238WPfTM6GHA.4276@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I have a folder which I transfer all privet email which does not belong to >the business, can I put a password on that folder so anyone looking i...

Excel 2k3: Workbook on network drive, when save creates new file
When we open up a shared workbook and enter data into it. Everything works fine but once you save it the original still contains the information but in the folder on the network drive that the original is located a new file is created. This new file is the same size as the original document. It didn't start doing this until it was moved from our old 2000 Server to our new 2k3 server. Can anyone help? Does that newly created workbook have a name of 8 characters (with no extension)? If yes... When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characte...

Rule to notify me of new mail
Hi guys - i am looking to set up a rule n outlook 2003 which will send notification of new mail to a specified e-mail address, but importantly i cannot forward the original message - it's an office setup and we're not allowed to fwd 'confidential' messages over the web. Also i cannot install any 'tool' as i have seen on the web - are there any other options??? help please alastairharding@hotmail.com wrote in news:1105528667.656658.91690 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: > Hi guys - i am looking to set up a rule n outlook 2003 which will send > notification of ne...

Moving Folder error

Moving between worksheets