More than two Recipient Update Services

I have noticed that my Exchange 2003 servers have 3 Recipient update
services.  One is the Enterprise one, but the other two are just Recipient
Update Service and Recipient Update Service 1.  Why would I have two of them,
can can that cause problems?  They are pointing to two different domain
controllers and we only have a single domain in our forest.

Thanks in advance
Marc
0
Marc2832 (125)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:20:02 -0800, "Marc"
<Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have noticed that my Exchange 2003 servers have 3 Recipient update
>services.  One is the Enterprise one, but the other two are just Recipient
>Update Service and Recipient Update Service 1.  Why would I have two of them,
>can can that cause problems?  They are pointing to two different domain
>controllers and we only have a single domain in our forest.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Marc

"There are two types of Recipient Update Services. One is responsible
for processing Exchange 2000 system objects in the Configuration
container, and the other is responsible for processing recipients in
each domain. There is only one of the first type in the entire
Microsoft Windows 2000 forest because there is only one Configuration
container. This is the Enterprise RUS, and it should not be disabled.
This also means that you should not delete the default recipient
policy, because the Enterprise RUS needs it to process objects in the
Configuration container. "

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296479

0
adavid (8731)
1/20/2006 2:29:09 PM
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:29:09 -0500, Andy David - MVP
<adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:20:02 -0800, "Marc"
><Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have noticed that my Exchange 2003 servers have 3 Recipient update
>>services.  One is the Enterprise one, but the other two are just Recipient
>>Update Service and Recipient Update Service 1.  Why would I have two of them,
>>can can that cause problems?  They are pointing to two different domain
>>controllers and we only have a single domain in our forest.
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>Marc
>

>"There are two types of Recipient Update Services. One is responsible
>for processing Exchange 2000 system objects in the Configuration
>container, and the other is responsible for processing recipients in
>each domain. There is only one of the first type in the entire
>Microsoft Windows 2000 forest because there is only one Configuration
>container. This is the Enterprise RUS, and it should not be disabled.
>This also means that you should not delete the default recipient
>policy, because the Enterprise RUS needs it to process objects in the
>Configuration container. "
>

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296479

Oops. I guess I didnt anwer your question :) Sorry, too early.

I can only surmise that it was created for whatever reason ( for a
specific site within your domain?) or it was a mistake? or added and
never deleted?

0
adavid (8731)
1/20/2006 2:41:09 PM
Would each site need a RUS?  this is in a site other than the main one, but
there are 4 sites and only 2 have them.

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:29:09 -0500, Andy David - MVP
> <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:20:02 -0800, "Marc"
> ><Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I have noticed that my Exchange 2003 servers have 3 Recipient update
> >>services.  One is the Enterprise one, but the other two are just Recipient
> >>Update Service and Recipient Update Service 1.  Why would I have two of them,
> >>can can that cause problems?  They are pointing to two different domain
> >>controllers and we only have a single domain in our forest.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance
> >>Marc
> >

> >"There are two types of Recipient Update Services. One is responsible
> >for processing Exchange 2000 system objects in the Configuration
> >container, and the other is responsible for processing recipients in
> >each domain. There is only one of the first type in the entire
> >Microsoft Windows 2000 forest because there is only one Configuration
> >container. This is the Enterprise RUS, and it should not be disabled.
> >This also means that you should not delete the default recipient
> >policy, because the Enterprise RUS needs it to process objects in the
> >Configuration container. "
> >

> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296479
>

> Oops. I guess I didnt anwer your question :) Sorry, too early.
>
> I can only surmise that it was created for whatever reason ( for a
> specific site within your domain?) or it was a mistake? or added and
> never deleted?

0
Marc2832 (125)
1/20/2006 4:26:05 PM
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:26:05 -0800, "Marc"
<Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Would each site need a RUS?  this is in a site other than the main one, but
>there are 4 sites and only 2 have them.

You only need one RUS per domain.  However if there were site
latencies, you might point the 2nd RUS at a DC in that site.

>"Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:29:09 -0500, Andy David - MVP
>> <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>> >"There are two types of Recipient Update Services. One is responsible
>> >for processing Exchange 2000 system objects in the Configuration
>> >container, and the other is responsible for processing recipients in
>> >each domain. There is only one of the first type in the entire
>> >Microsoft Windows 2000 forest because there is only one Configuration
>> >container. This is the Enterprise RUS, and it should not be disabled.
>> >This also means that you should not delete the default recipient
>> >policy, because the Enterprise RUS needs it to process objects in the
>> >Configuration container. "
>> >

>> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296479
>>

>> Oops. I guess I didnt anwer your question :) Sorry, too early.
>>
>> I can only surmise that it was created for whatever reason ( for a
>> specific site within your domain?) or it was a mistake? or added and
>> never deleted?

0
adavid (8731)
1/20/2006 5:42:18 PM
Will i regret removing the extra one?  I don't really need it for latency
issues.

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:26:05 -0800, "Marc"
> <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Would each site need a RUS?  this is in a site other than the main one, but
> >there are 4 sites and only 2 have them.
>
> You only need one RUS per domain.  However if there were site
> latencies, you might point the 2nd RUS at a DC in that site.
>

> >"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> >> Oops. I guess I didnt anwer your question :) Sorry, too early.
> >>
> >> I can only surmise that it was created for whatever reason ( for a
> >> specific site within your domain?) or it was a mistake? or added and
> >> never deleted?

0
Marc2832 (125)
1/20/2006 7:23:03 PM
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:23:03 -0800, "Marc"
<Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Will i regret removing the extra one?  I don't really need it for latency
>issues.

probably not. If you need to, you can always recreate it.

>"Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:26:05 -0800, "Marc"
>> <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Would each site need a RUS?  this is in a site other than the main one, but
>> >there are 4 sites and only 2 have them.
>>
>> You only need one RUS per domain.  However if there were site
>> latencies, you might point the 2nd RUS at a DC in that site.

0
adavid (8731)

synchiing two computers?

Error update 00000646
I keep getting this error message and it wont update my micrsoft office things. I use to have office 03 but i recently installed 07. however these update errors appeared prior to installing the new office 07. How do i stop them???? so frustrated about this Ashley wrote: > I keep getting this error message and it wont update my micrsoft > office things. I use to have office 03 but i recently installed > 07. however these update errors appeared prior to installing the > new office 07. > > How do i stop them???? so frustrated about this What operating syst...

Cannoy install update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I was having difficulty with Entorage accessing the shared libries and reinstalled Office from my Student and Teacher version. I get the following message: "You cannot install Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume" I have tried this twice now with the same result; can someone please advise me what to do? major@officeformac.com wrote: > I was having difficulty with Entorage accessing the shared libries > and...

UK shares update but US ones do not
Hi Guys, I have V17 of US Money Plus. All my shares in my UK broker accounts update okay with the online updates. But I have two shares in US accounts (US:IVV, US:BRK) that do not update. I'm wondering if the online update only works in one region? Would be grateful if someone could confirm this. Cheers In microsoft.public.money, ouroboros wrote: > >I have V17 of US Money Plus. All my shares in my UK broker accounts update >okay with the online updates. But I have two shares in US accounts (US:IVV, >US:BRK) that do not update. Bad symbols for ...

Configuration Table not fully update when exporting new store data
After I create a new store database in HQ Manager, export the store database from HQ Admin, and then import the database into the Store Database on the POS I have noticed that only the StoreID is updated correctly. The Store Name, Address, Zip, State, and phone numbers are still set to my master database that I use as a template. This is getting annoying as I am setting up 50 stores. I tried to create a SQL Script to run on the POS in SSMS, which works EXCEPT for the zip code will not update and I do not understand why. The only thing I noticed is ZIP is varchar(15) not null in the S...

Apply this important update
--dbggttfmioewqgyod Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="zltrhkwnfrcj"; type="multipart/alternative" --zltrhkwnfrcj Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="qxkhcnbuwsfgwpalc" --qxkhcnbuwsfgwpalc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "December 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from th...

Server side rules not working after SP2 update
I am running Exchange 2003 Ent SP2 on a Windows 2003 Ent server. Clients are all Outlook 2003 SP2 on XP Pro SP2 I have many rules created within several User accounts to move incoming email into public folders. This worked fine until I applied Exchange SP2. Now all these rules act as if they are client-side and require Outlook to remain open to function. When I create a new rule to move an incoming email into a public folder I do not get a pop-up stating this is a client-side rule. Rules moving email into other folders within a mailbox remain server-side. Only the rules moving ema...

COUNTIF (?) on two criteria

Two IF Statements with two answers
In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. If there are no other alternatives that yes and no =IF(G9="Yes",F9,-F9) otherwise =IF(G9="Yes",F9,IF(G9="No",-F9,"") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "heater" wrote: > In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: > > If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 > > Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. > =IF(G9=&qu...

Two axis
Positioning the Vertical axes: I have a chart where there are two axes. The first implementation produced the two scales on the right side, one inside, the other outside the chart area. Unusual, but luckily it fits well the chart. I tried to duplicate the feat with another dataset (similar in structure) and did not even get the second scale to show right, left or center (data plotted with two different scales allright). Where is the info to control these functionalities? Tx, Pierre On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:48:13 +0100, pl.carry <pl.carry@wanadoo.fr> wrote= : > Positioning the Vertic...

Updating the Value of Vehicles
When I update the value of vehicles in Money, it lists it as an expense on monthly reports. I have a loan set up for one of the vehicles. How can I remove it from an expense and keep it separate for net worth???? -- Stephen and Erica Chenelle But it is an expense. Perhaps on whatever reports you are concerned with, you should exclude the asset account? Many of us do not track vehicles in asset accounts since they only go one way. Toward $0. "Stephen & Erica Chenelle" <schenelle@cox.net> wrote in message news:8faTb.8617$EW.949@okepread02... > When I update the v...

Terminal Services Immediately Disconnects
Hi, Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, as it looks like an xp client issue. However, it is on a Windows SBS 2008 domain. I first came across this problem when connecting to a client PC remotely via RWW. It would look like it was going to connect, then immediately disconnect. This disconnection does not provide any error. Needing to get to the bottom of this, I investigated further on site. I found that with JUST this particular PC, it did the same thing when I tried to connect via RDC on the LAN. I logged onto the client PC with the problem and checked for the ...

plot two groups of numbers on one series of xy coordinates.
how to create a plot from separate x and y values. i.e. y values do not correspond to the same set of x values. example x1= 5, y1=10; x2= 8, y2=15 I can read your question 2 ways; A) you data looks like this x y 5 10 8 15 etc. Select the data and make an XY chart B) you have two sets of data x1 y1 5 10 10 12 17 15 21 20 and x2 y2 3 8 7 14 12 19 18 24 Make an XY chart of the first data series Select all the data (including headers) for second set, and use Copy Click the chart to activate it Use Edit | Paste Special .... indicate New Ser...

two variables
I have a query that asks for collcode, collcode2 and booth. On any given day an employee may be collcode or collcode2. I would like to know how many times a certain emp has been paired with another employee. So how do I ask if an employee has been collcode/collcode2 and who the other person was? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks for any help Query one: SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Booth FROM YourTable UNION ALL SELECT CollCode2, CollCode, Booth FROM YourTable Query Two SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Count(CollCode) AS TIMESPAIRED FROM QueryOne GROUP BY CollCode, CollCode2 IF y...

Find two PCI instance but load Init() one time
Hi all, I'm developing a stream interface driver for my PCI device under WinCE 6.0 and this driver works very well currently. Now, I got a problem when testing two the same PCI devices with my stream driver. The registry can find two PCI instances (i.e. PCI\Instance\mydrv1, PCI\ Instance\mydrv2) but system only call my XXX_init() one time. Does anyone know what the problem is? The following information is my registry setting: ================================================================== [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\PCI\Template\mydrv] "Dll"="myd...

Comparing two lists for matches
Hi, I am trying to do the following: There are two sets of supplier lists - A List and B List. I need to compare the two lists. Source A is my master. Source B is a subset of that but has contact information for all the suppliers. Hence, my goal is to retrieve the contact information from Source B and match it to the suppliers of Source A. The above can be easliy achieved using a vlookup funtion. But the problem is that some of the supplier names in the two lists are not exact matches. Hence, vlookup does not catch it. For instance, a supplier is listed as ABC Inc. in A list and as ABC, inc....

Compare two lists of names
Can you compare two lists of names where one list is last name first and the other is first name last? try this formual: =RIGHT(TRIM(E2),LEN(E2)-FIND(" ",E2))&" "&TRIM(LEFT(TRIM(E2),FIND(" ",E2))) it will convert First name last name to last name, first name or Visa versa. then you can compare your lists. "ea" wrote: > Can you compare two lists of names where one list is last name first and the > other is first name last? ...

Failed Updates 06-26-10
Usually when I try to install updates, a message will appear indicating that the process has failed. When I allow Windows to automatically install updates, however, my Internet connection fails and I then have to do a system restore to remove the updates so that I can use the Internet again. Can you please help me with this, as I do want to be able to update my computer with programs and anti-virus updates without losing my Internet connection each time? Thanks. Allen • Which version of the Windows operating system am I running? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...

Two copies of all Mailboxes
Using my sbs2003 srver with exchange 2003 installed - I notice two copies of all users mail box in the list of mailboxes using outlook 2003 on the same server. When I try to close these I get an error syaing mail boxes in use. I cn not remove them. Can you tell me how to remove these so I have just on mail box visible per user? thx Kevin Cain Class TECHNOLOGY ...

Service Interface
Hi, I have written a service, but now I'd like to write an interface to that service... what are some keywords to look for or where can i find some documentation on this? Brian wrote: > Hi, I have written a service, but now I'd like to write an interface to that > service... What sort of "interface"? (1) An API that another program can call? Look into Remoting. (2) A GUI that you can use to configure the Service? Write a separate WinForms application and store the configuration data in a common location. Services are gradually losing t...

How do I create a chart on two axes with two lines and a bar
I am trying to compare two final stock prices to the average volume. So, teh left axes would have the numbers for the stock prices, and the right axes would have the volume. The two stock prices would be lines using the left, and the volume a bar using the right. I can do one line and one bar, but I can't figure out two lines. Can anyone help? Forget the built in custom types. It's better to build your own. Create your chart using all the data, to produce a chart with three line series all on the primary axis. Select the Volume series, and on the Chart menu, use Chart Type to ch...

Office V.x updates: which in which order?
With apologies for not finding quick coherence in the various threads related to this, I don't have enough information to figure out how to update Office V.x. One site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;macoffx indicate v.X 10.1.2 Update is the most recent, but also talk about "service release "SR-1" But from another site http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx#OfficeX there are clearly updates 10.1.2 through 10.1.5. I've tried several times to install them in order, and sometime always goes wrong (there is a long list, including repeated...

Using the Office 2003 Web Services Toolkit
I was curious about accessing the CRM web services from Excel or Word so I installed the web services toolkit for Office 2003 but when I try to add the web reference for CRM I get... "The Web Service References Tool could not generate the requested code. Any changes that have been made to your project have been rolled back." Has anybody used this successfully? Thanks Greg Still haven't found an answer but would like to if anyone else out there can help. Thanks again Greg gstat wrote: > I was curious about accessing the CRM web services from Excel or Word > so I inst...