Missing emails from Outlook XP Exchange 5.5

I have a user that had approximately 300 emails and 100 contacts in
his Outlook and they suddenly dissapeared on him after uninstalling
Mcafee internet security 6. The strange thing is it did not delete ALL
his email or All his contacts, there were 8 emails left in the box and
2 contacts left. Since he is on a laptop, I tried to work offline and
see if they were in his .ost, but its the same thing. The strange
thing is, his .ost is about 130mb, and when I look at his mailbox
properties, it only shows about 60 mb in size. Also, on the exchange
server, his mailbox resources show to be about 80mb and 11,000 items.
My own mailbox is about the same size but only has 7,000 items. Is it
possible that something happened to hide the emails in a different
invisble folder? I have tried all the views I can think of and I just
cant figure out why his mailbox size is so big on the server and the
..ost, but nothing shows up. I even converted the .ost to a .pst using
OST2PST, and it shows the same thing. I am totally stumped, any help
is appreciated.

Rob Wilson wrote:

> I have a user that had approximately 300 emails and 100 contacts in
> his Outlook and they suddenly dissapeared

It could be autoarchival feature of Outlook. Search local hard drives for
archive.pst and then open it with Outlook.

> on him after uninstalling
> Mcafee internet security 6.

Coincidence.

> The strange thing is it did not delete ALL
> his email or All his contacts, there were 8 emails left in the box and
> 2 contacts left. Since he is on a laptop, I tried to work offline and
> see if they were in his .ost, but its the same thing. The strange
> thing is, his .ost is about 130mb, and when I look at his mailbox
> properties, it only shows about 60 mb in size.

At some point in time user gad 130MB of data in that .ost. Since that time
some data was deleted, but .ost did not shrink.

> Also, on the exchange
> server, his mailbox resources show to be about 80mb and 11,000 items.
> My own mailbox is about the same size but only has 7,000 items. Is it
> possible that something happened to hide the emails in a different
> invisble folder?

Probably not. Item count includes everything, journal, contacts, deleted
items etc.

> I have tried all the views I can think of and I just
> cant figure out why his mailbox size is so big on the server and the
> .ost, but nothing shows up. I even converted the .ost to a .pst using
> OST2PST, and it shows the same thing. I am totally stumped, any help
> is appreciated.

0
kpalagin1 (1216)
1/30/2004 10:44:50 AM
Check the users view settings. I've had users who accidentally hit alt-v and then some other key and next thing you know only the unread messages were being displayed. I agree that Mcafee internet security uninstall is a coincidence unless it had some kind of hooks into outlook that would have either moved or deleted the messeages (highly unlikely)
-John D.
0
jaeldi (2)
1/30/2004 2:36:05 PM
Besides the auto-archive, have you checked the mailbox size in Outloo
and compared it to what is on the server?  The .ost file may be large
because what's stored on the server is single-instance storage, but th
folder size reported by Outlook properties should roughly match what'
shown on the server.  If not, it may be a view problem.  I know yo
said you checked that, but does it say "filter applied" in the lowe
left of the Outlook window?

Have you rebuilt the MAPI profile?  They quite often become corrupt an
if it's a view problem it could be down to the profile.  Remember tha
the .ost file will only be associated with it's original profile, s
don't delete the original profile until you know the problem is fixed.

And lastly, do you have your servers set to keep deleted mail for
certain amount of time, and if so, are you within it and have yo
checked the recoverable deleted items?  (not just from the delete
items folder but from the Inbox and Contacts folders

Unregistered

Thanks for the hints, but he had no archive options set up, and was
unable to find any .pst files on his hard drive or even his network
drives. Its not a huge deal other than its the President of the
company. He was pretty cool about it since we could get his contacts
back from his IPAq which was not hooked up at the time.  He said he
needed to clean out his email anyway.

it just is curious that his .ost is so big, when I compare it to my
..ost, which has TONS of crap in it and its only 60mb or so. Oh well.

"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote in message news:<401A35A2.A701F8CE@nomail.phxint.please.ru>...
> Rob Wilson wrote:
>
> > I have a user that had approximately 300 emails and 100 contacts in
> > his Outlook and they suddenly dissapeared
>
> It could be autoarchival feature of Outlook. Search local hard drives for
> archive.pst and then open it with Outlook.
>
> > on him after uninstalling
> > Mcafee internet security 6.
>
> Coincidence.
>
> > The strange thing is it did not delete ALL
> > his email or All his contacts, there were 8 emails left in the box and
> > 2 contacts left. Since he is on a laptop, I tried to work offline and
> > see if they were in his .ost, but its the same thing. The strange
> > thing is, his .ost is about 130mb, and when I look at his mailbox
> > properties, it only shows about 60 mb in size.
>
> At some point in time user gad 130MB of data in that .ost. Since that time
> some data was deleted, but .ost did not shrink.
>
> > Also, on the exchange
> > server, his mailbox resources show to be about 80mb and 11,000 items.
> > My own mailbox is about the same size but only has 7,000 items. Is it
> > possible that something happened to hide the emails in a different
> > invisble folder?
>
> Probably not. Item count includes everything, journal, contacts, deleted
> items etc.
>
> > I have tried all the views I can think of and I just
> > cant figure out why his mailbox size is so big on the server and the
> > .ost, but nothing shows up. I even converted the .ost to a .pst using
> > OST2PST, and it shows the same thing. I am totally stumped, any help
> > is appreciated.

XP confusing Excel and Publisher
When I try to access the Excel Help files, XP tries to install Publisher, then tells me I'm missing a PUB file. If I try to close Installer with Task Manager, Excel itself crashes. Help! Thanks ...

Missing files

Outlook 2003 and GroupWise
I'm running Office 2003 including Outlook which is installed but not used as the primary e-mail client... Our company uses GroupWise v 6.5 (it smells)... but that's what we have to live with... I need to run an e-mail merge to Groupwise from MS Word, and though it seems set up properly, the "merge" just goes off into oblivion... no errors... nothing... the only thing that indicates a problem is that when you try to do a "send to mail recipient as attachment" (a document or spreadsheet you're working on) from any MS Office application, e.g., Word, Exce...

installation #5
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I buy Office 2008 and when I try to install, it says my computer is running a newer version and won't install. I don't have office, and not a newer version. On 10/30/09 1:42 PM, in article 59b7fa83.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "willc73@officeformac.com" <willc73@officeformac.com> wrote: > > I buy Office 2008 and when I try to install, it says my computer is running a > newer version and won't install. I don't have office, and not a newer version. Check in both these places...

Updated Junk email fiters list
Here is an updated Filtters.txt list for Outlook 2000 on this site and how to use the Junk Mail Filter in Outlook 2000. http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010450041033&C TT=6&Origin=EC010553071033 -- marx404 "mjh404" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:u9Lwb.2287$zu1.1375423@news2.news.adelphia.net... > Here is an updated Filtters.txt list for Outlook 2000 on this site and how > to use the Junk Mail Filter in Outlook 2000. > > http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010450041033&C > TT=6&...

Outlook 2007 Missing Mail

Issues with CRM and Outlook
I have a user that has MSCRM 3.0 and Outlook 2003 and when he opens up an email and wants to reply to it, the window just hangs until you click into the window and start typing. When CRM is not installed Outlook works like it should with the reply and the cursor going directly in the body of the email. Any ideas? ...

Exchange 2003 truncating SMTP data
Hello: We recently discovered a problem with our Exchange 2003 server (Service Pack 1). When composing outgoing messages that are delivered via SMTP to any outside server (i.e. Yahoo mail, etc), messages that have a "." (dot) on a single line by itself are being truncated at the dot. Obviously because the dot is the end data character for SMTP. With further testing this problem only happens when sending out a message from our Exchange server to an external server by SMTP. I have tried both HTML and Plain Text and it is truncated with both formats. Inbound messages work fine and t...

Submit button to email
Hello everyone, I am trying to code a submit button on my form that will export the data entered and then send it in email format. Any suggestions would help. Create a report based on the current record and then use SendObject to send the e-mail. -- Hope this helps, Daniel P "shwinn" wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I am trying to code a submit button on my form that will export the data > entered and then send it in email format. Any suggestions would help. ...

Animation of .gif in Outlook
Sorry this is a repost, I first accidentally posted under another Subject without realizing it, apologies. I am using Vista Home Premium, Office 2007. If I include a .gif in an email there is no animation, not before I send it, nor when it is in the Sent folder. Friends tell me they receive it animated but I used to be able to see the animation before I sent it with XP and Office 2003. Is there a setting I am overlooking that should be checked in order for it to do this ? TIA Sheena Outlook 2007 does not support animated gifs. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://...

Purchase Outlook 2003
Where can I purchase Outlook 2003? I've tried Staples but they only carry Version 2002. Thank you. try Amazon.com or other online stores. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - OneNote 2003 Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=3...

sending emails to the new top domains
We're running Exchange 2000. For some reason, we can't send emails to the new top domains. The following error message comes back: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 05/13/2004 11:30 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'xxx.xxxxxx@sita.aero' on 05/13/2004 11:30 You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <rrtechnologies.net #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Access denied> What do I need to change in the exchange...

Emails #17
I have one question having to do with how long an email will stay in the inbox until it no longer shows up when you open the inbox. Or is that a function of the AOL account? (I have AOL email) Aries wrote: > I have one question having to do with how long an email will stay in the > inbox until it no longer shows up when you open the inbox. Or is that a > function of the AOL account? (I have AOL email) You have our sympathy. Contact AOL with your question. ...

Missing Emails #2
From time to time my users report that so-and-so sent them an email but they never got it. Last night my VP sent 2 emails from home and never got them. 1. We have Exchange 2000 server, all clients are Outlook 2. We have Symantec anti-virus for exchange server now I have checked the following: 1. in the Exchange logs [reading them in Excel] I can see the 2 messages arrive and seem to process normally -- HELO,MAIL, RCPT, DATA, QUIT are the 5 lines in the log; the datum on the HELO record says =+sccrmhc13.comcast.net. the Quit record as cs-uri-query of 240. 2. I have searched through...

Case Emails
I want to write an email template which will be sent information to a third party (account & contact) to notify them about the service case from within a Case activity. I find that using workflow always put the email to the client, which I really dont want to do. Using templates to drop into an email (activity) I am opening seems to only give me access to global and account templates rather than case based templates I require. I can write the template easily as a Case template, but how do I access it? Hi Jeff, To access case template from an email activity you would need to set...

Missing Folders after Sync

Bin Transfer Entry window missing

Outlook 2000 Error #11
I had to re-install Windows and all programs and now when I try to send/receive mail through Outlook 2000 it gives me the message that Internet Mail is not regestered properly. Please re-install and try again. I use the Office 2000 CD and have used the repair function to re- install and finally totally un-install and re-install and I always get the same message. I am running Windows 98SE. It worked fine before I had to re-install. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for all of your help and input. Dale ...

hyperlinks corrupted when emailed
I have attempted to use hyperlinks to other Excel files on speadsheets that were later distributed through a network email system. The email system used is GroupWise. The links work on the sheet until it is emailed. I have emailed this to myself and it doesn't work after making the trip so it appears not to be a path or file access issue. The files I am linking to are on a shared network drive Thanks in advance ...

Customize Outlook 2000 Today Home Page
The same thing is happening to me! Does anyone know a solution? Thanks... On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:20:32 -0700, "Sergio" <spennockg@yahoo.com> wrote: >The same thing is happening to me! >Does anyone know a solution? >Thanks... not sure what you mean by 'the same thing'. if you mean that you cannot customize outlook today after installing a specfic update for IE then try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820575 rich Sergio <spennockg@yahoo.com> wrote: > The same thing is happening to me! What's "the same thing...

Outlook 2003 removes hyperlinks during mail merge to email
Hi All, I'm pretty sure I am in the right forum, but in using Outlook 2003 SP2, and Word as the email editor, in the last email I sent out to our staff, the email links were removed, and the names they were attached to were just plain text, no 'clickable' email hyperlink. A member of our staff has been experiencing the same thing with Outlook 2002. Does anybody know what might be going on, or what needs to be fixed? Thanks in advance, --Jim Can you provide exact steps to add a hyperlink to a merge document so = that we can try to reproduce the problem on another m...

Email pdf invoice?
Is it possible to email a pdf of an invoice directly from GP10? If you know how, can you tell me how to do it? thanks Ian Ian, You must have a pdf writer setup on your local machine and Outlook must be running as your default email program. Then, to email an invoice, print the invoice to screen, click the 'Send To' button at the top of the Screen Output window, select 'Mail Recipient (PDF)'. Outlook will open, enter the email address to send it to and hit 'Send'. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com To expand a bit...if...

Missing Fonts in Word Art

Only Synch CRM to Outlook not Outlook to CRM
Is it possible to turn off one side of the synchronization so that it only goes from CRM to Outlook? We want CRM to be our main point of entry and have it send contacts to Outlook. Thanks. -- TC ...

outlook express password #4
Outlook express asks for password every time i open it even though i have the save pass word checked what can i do?/ This involves a regsitry key being deleted, search the online database for password not retained "Colleen Campbell" <cc@pei.aibn.com> wrote in message news:2c0c01c3fcb0$01afadc0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook express asks for password every time i open it > even though i have the save pass word checked what can i > do?/ Hi, Please post in an Outlook Express Group. Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Colleen Campbell" &l...