Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory

Hi

I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format
AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003.  I understand how
to rename the serveron the domain only,  before upgrading the domain, but
from the exchange point of view what do I do.

do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003
fresh install

do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as
5.5 and use the move mailbox util

Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the
relevant properites prior to any upgrades.

Please help

Brenden

regards
0
Brenden (4)

I would introduce a temporary server into the mix, give it a proper name and
then install exchange onto it, use 5.5 if you have the media available.
Follow this to get rid of the original server
Then build the server again from scratch and carry out a proper Exchange
migration.
There isn't a need to do exmerge in your case.

"Brenden" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format
> AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003.  I understand how
> to rename the serveron the domain only,  before upgrading the domain, but
> from the exchange point of view what do I do.
>
> do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003
> fresh install
>
> do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as
> 5.5 and use the move mailbox util
>
> Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the
> relevant properites prior to any upgrades.
>
> Please help
>
> Brenden
>
> regards
0
mark7219 (5666)

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

OL 2003 Formatting Question
For me, it takes considerable trial and error and effort to get the various mail folder columns and fonts set up the way I want them. I am getting ready to do a clean install on my hard drive. Is there a way to save the formatting information for later use? Thanks, Don "plymouthguy" <djraysr@lycos.com> wrote in message news:eUPkBX$pHHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > For me, it takes considerable trial and error and effort to get the > various mail folder columns and fonts set up the way I want them. I am > getting ready to do a clean install on my hard driv...

Outlook 2003 News Reader problems
I'm having problems getting the news reader to work with Outlook 2003 Professional.... It works once and then fails and seems to point to this directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033 That is when it shows up in the Go menu... most of the time the link is not there... Any ideas... I hate having to use OX to view newsgroups... sort of defeats the purpose... Steve You hate "having to use OX to view newsgroups?" What did you think you were using before? OE has always been the news reader for Outlook. Configure it as such in Control Panel > Internet option...

2 exchange Servers 1 Domain
Is it possible to have 2 exchange 2003 servers service one domain? On 2/26/04 5:33 PM, in article edjbjiL$DHA.1700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl, "Marc Fogel" <msf@no.spam.com> wrote: > Is it possible to have 2 exchange 2003 servers service one domain? > > Absolutely! We are running 5 Exchange 2003 mailbox servers that service 25 or more domains. Daniel I can't send e-mail to the mailboxes on the second exchange server I setup. I can send from the second to the first though. FYI: I only need to be able to do this until I move all the mailboxes over to the second...

Email will freeze Outlook 2003
My outlook 2003 Pro feezes when I attempt to view my emails. All other functions, calendar, contacts, etc., appear to work fine. Any thoughts? Peace check if you have large emails in your mailbox. Access your mailbox through webmail or telnet. Pieter "hybridarts" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22acb01c45d8f$0c9b7e40$a401280a@phx.gbl... > My outlook 2003 Pro feezes when I attempt to view my > emails. > > All other functions, calendar, contacts, etc., appear to > work fine. > > Any thoughts? > > Peace ...

Migration Wizard 5.5 to 2003 Enterprise
I am about to migrate users from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. Are there any restrictions on the number of users that can be selected and migrated at one time? Not really the application is multithreaded. Your limitation is likely to be transaction log buildup and mapi errors rather imo "cghoerichs@yahoo.com" wrote: > I am about to migrate users from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. Are there any > restrictions on the number of users that can be selected and migrated > at one time? > > Are you sure you need the migration wizard? Is there a compelling reason you aren't doi...

Excel 2003 upgrade
What is this product on sale at the moment called 'Excel 2003 upgrade'? I have a workbook written in excel 2002 which contains lots of vba control elements and Visual Basic elements such as common dialog objects (it took me 4 months to write!) My problem is that my colleuges can't open it in excel '97, which is a problem. I've tried saving the book in '97 format but this doesnt solve the problem. Is there a product for sale that can update excel '97 to open workbooks written in excel 2002? Any help on this is muuuuch appreciated, otherwise it's 4 months work ...

Migration BCM to CRM 3.0
Hi All, This weekend I will be migrating from BCM to CRM 3.0 (on SBS 2003) and was hoping to get a heads up on the following: 1) clarify a "Known Issues with the Data Migration Wizard for Microsoft Outlook with Business Contact Manager" point that sticks out in the documentation and in my long hours of reading online namely: "The link between activities and parent accounts and contacts is not preserved during migration. If you have accounts or contacts in Microsoft Outlook with Business Contact Manager that have activities, such as tasks or appointments, associated wit...

Data migration wizard automation
We have more than 600 users data to import into our CRM4 implementation. We have developped extractor to build csv file and use the data migration wizard to import those files. For every user data files, we have to click button, make choice, etc... We are looking for a way to automate or script the use of the wizard. Any hint? May try to prepare the import files and combine all of them together with a column for the different ownership/users, so it will default to the proper user. Or look into more advance importing tool such as Scribe Software for Microsoft CRM vs. DMM if you woul...

Exchange Server 2003 NDRs
Random users are getting this NDR with no x.x.x value associated with them. I was wondering if anyone had any insight... Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Something Sent: 2/25/2004 6:53 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: SomeonesEmail@SomeCompany.com on 2/25/2004 6:53 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. MSEXCH:MSExchangeIS:/DC=com/DC=domain/DC=subdomain:ExchServer I have altered some of the text to hide keep privacy, but the ema...

folder migration
I am working on migrating outlook express folders from a old computer to Outlook 2003 on a new computer. I used the file/Import,Export feature but not all of the folders contain information. There are a total of six folders that need to be Imported. Outlook created the folders under personal folder but only two contain the messages. The other four are empty. I have tried to move them individually with no success. If anyone has a theory on how to accomplish this please let me know. Thank you. Chad ...

Win2000 DC / Exchange 2000 box Migrate to New SBS2003/Exchange2003
I have inherited a client who currently has a Windows 2000 Domain controller with Exchange 2000 installed on it. This is a very small network with 4 main users. The mailboxes are quite large. We have purchased a new SBS 2003 machine with Exchange 2003 on it. I want to migrate to the new machine, but every site seems to give a different answer. Some say I can't do it. Some suggest the Swing method ( I do have another SBS 2003 server I can use). The more I read, the more confused I become. I've set up several "new" exchange servers, but never had to migrate old d...

Odd problem in Outlook 2003 search results
Our company is running an Exchange 2003 Standard (SP3) on W2003 server, serving about 300 users, all XP Pro using Outlook 2003 (SP3) for mail client. Recently (about 2 to 3 weeks), we started getting reports of a very odd problem in Outlook related to search results: Whenever, after using the search options in Outlook to locate some mails, a user does something to one or more mails in the search results that causes the mail to be moved from its original folder (i.e. delete the mail or move it to a different folder), the search results list isn't updated, so it looks like nothing happens....

Excel 2003 Favorites
Hello. I'm new to Excel 2003 and previously always used the Favorites folder for quick access to frequently viewed folders. I use to be able to click the 'Open Files' button in Excel, select any file desired, then go to Tools and "Add to Favorites". It would then be in my Favorites folder for quick access. Now it says "Add to My Places". This is not nearly as good as it clutters the 'Look In' section with individual folders for each shortcut. Instead I have to now go to Windows Explorer and add it to my favorites for it to work like it use to. Is ...

Insert eps image into Publisher 2003
Client created eps images in Illustrator. Said they have TIFF preview available. When the images are inserted into Publisher, they only appear as blank box. Rendered the document as a PDF and we can see the image but she needs to see the image in Publisher in order to modify, resize, etc. When inserting it, we get the converter window, but she needs it to stay in eps format in Publisher. Are there any settings in Publisher to change to allow the eps image to display in the Publisher document? -- maryj Are you using a post script printer? Pieces of an EPS graphic may appear to be missi...

Outlook 2003 configuration message in Outlook 2007
I recently added Office 2007 and now I continually get this message: Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office 2003. Every e-mail sent and received prompts this message. When I turn on my computer I get an installation message for Office 2003 and then am asked to restart to complete the installation. Whether I restart or not, I get the configuration message constantly. How do I solve this ... get rid of these messages and operate smoothly in Outlook 2007? ...

Can office small business 2003 be upgraded to professional 2007
I have Offise Small Business 2003 and need to upgrade to 2007 or newer. Can I upgrade from Small Business version to the Professional Version and have all the programs of 2007? Or can I only upgrade to the Small Business version? John in MN wrote: >I have Offise Small Business 2003 and need to upgrade to 2007 or newer. Can >I upgrade from Small Business version to the Professional Version and have >all the programs of 2007? Or can I only upgrade to the Small Business >version? > > Yes you can upgrade to Office 2007 Professional and the good news is...

E-mail Server Names for Outlook 2000
I don't get it...Outlook Express 6 was extremely easy to setup having my emails from my Hotmail account load into Outlook Express, which seems to be designed to for that purpose, but Outlook 2000 gets into Pop3 or Imap and SMTP which seems to have a very outdated Internet connection wizard with very few options. My ISP doesn't have a clue of what I was talking about and it would seem that this is a Hotmail server problem? I have read enough Microsoft knowledge base articles to make a grown man cry in hopelessness frustration. Is there a way to upgrade the internet connetio...

Using Office 2003 and Send To - Mail Recipient
send to mail recipient errors with: Cannot start microsoft outlook. A program error occurred ..... Any help would be appreciated ... Is Outlook open when you try this? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Barry G. Sumpter asked: | send to | | mail recipient | | errors with: | Cannot start microsoft outlook. A program error occurred ..... | | Any he...

Exchange 2003 Configuration
Hi, How can I configure Smarthost on exchange 2003? I want to forward all the outgoing mails to go to an AntiVirus Gateway. create an SMTP connector...you can specify there where to forward all outbound Internet email... "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97ACD2FC-AE6E-4434-ADB1-5B938932D53A@microsoft.com... > Hi, > How can I configure Smarthost on exchange 2003? > I want to forward all the outgoing mails to go to an AntiVirus Gateway. Right click on the Organization Name at the very top of ESM and run the Internet Mail Wizard "Guy...

sending to multiple recpients without names listed.
How can I send the same email to multiple recipients without their name or address appearing in the "to" field? I want to send a message to all our clients but I don't want them to have the contact info for the other clients. Thanks, Hayley Put the addresses in the BCC field and use your own e-mail address in the To field. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:2cd8001c39413$4de86070$a601280a@phx.gbl, Hayley wrote: > H...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Password Protect Word from within Access 2003
I have inherited an Access application that uses Word templates for letters/invoices. My client now wants the resulting documents password protected so they cannot be altered once generated. Any help would be appreciated. JMCS Are you wanting to password protect the templates or the documents generated from them? If its the later, I would go to a process where once the document is created in Word you convert the document to a pdf as doing so will lock down changes to it by default. The other alternative is to snoop around the Word newsgroup about automatically saving a doc...

Accessing Favorites in Excel 2003
In past versions of excel when I went to open a file I there was a button on the left side of the window pane that allowed me to click on my favorites. In Excel 2003 this button for favorites is not there...is there a way to change which buttons show up on the open file pane? Evan Already answered in microsoft.public.excel.setup an hour ago. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:17:03 -0800, "Evan" <Evan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In past versions of excel when I went to open a file I there was a button on >the left side of the window pane that ...

fax from outlook in Office 2003 with Business Tools
With Office 2000, I could fax from Outlook by just installing the program. After installing 2003 Office, I can't fax from Outlook. I don't want to use Email fax. I need to be able to fax from outlook or I will have to uninstall and go back to 2000 office.HELP! ...