Migration options from E2k server to another E2k3 server

Hello, I have a doubt in which way is best suited to migrate data from a E2k
server to another E2k3 server in the same domain.
For more information, both are domain controllers, the E2k server is running
under Windows 2k Server and the E2k3 is running under Windows 2k3 server
enterprise edition.
The last will replace th older E2k server.

Thank you in advance,
0
winpor (2)

On Feb 12, 10:13 am, winpor <win...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have a doubt in which way is best suited to migrate data from a E2k
> server to another E2k3 server in the same domain.
> For more information, both are domain controllers, the E2k server is running
> under Windows 2k Server and the E2k3 is running under Windows 2k3 server
> enterprise edition.
> The last will replace th older E2k server.
>
> Thank you in advance,

If both Exchange servers are part of single domain and Exchange Org,
then best, safest and least downtime method would be to (high level
steps):
1. Move the mailboxes over the wire
2. rehome public folder and system folder to new exchange server (use
pfmigrate util if you have lots of public folders)
3. configure OWA, SSL, RPC/HTTPS on new server
4. remove public folder replica from old server
5. remove old exchange server from ExchangeOrg/AD.
Adarsh

0
akudesia (9)
2/12/2007 3:42:57 PM
Thank you for the help.
Meantime I've searched the net and I found that the Migration Wizard is also
a good tool to do this. Is it correct?
It's the very first time I'll work in migrating Exchange server.

"adarsh" wrote:

> On Feb 12, 10:13 am, winpor <win...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I have a doubt in which way is best suited to migrate data from a E2k
> > server to another E2k3 server in the same domain.
> > For more information, both are domain controllers, the E2k server is running
> > under Windows 2k Server and the E2k3 is running under Windows 2k3 server
> > enterprise edition.
> > The last will replace th older E2k server.
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
>
> If both Exchange servers are part of single domain and Exchange Org,
> then best, safest and least downtime method would be to (high level
> steps):
> 1. Move the mailboxes over the wire
> 2. rehome public folder and system folder to new exchange server (use
> pfmigrate util if you have lots of public folders)
> 3. configure OWA, SSL, RPC/HTTPS on new server
> 4. remove public folder replica from old server
> 5. remove old exchange server from ExchangeOrg/AD.
> Adarsh

0
winpor (2)
2/12/2007 4:08:00 PM
On Feb 12, 11:08 am, winpor <win...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the help.
> Meantime I've searched the net and I found that the Migration Wizard is also
> a good tool to do this. Is it correct?
> It's the very first time I'll work in migrating Exchange server.
>

> "adarsh" wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 10:13 am, winpor <win...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Hello, I have a doubt in which way is best suited to migrate data from a E2k
> > > server to another E2k3 server in the same domain.
> > > For more information, both are domain controllers, the E2k server is running
> > > under Windows 2k Server and the E2k3 is running under Windows 2k3 server
> > > enterprise edition.
> > > The last will replace th older E2k server.
>
> > > Thank you in advance,
>
> > If both Exchange servers are part of single domain and Exchange Org,
> > then best, safest and least downtime method would be to (high level
> > steps):
> > 1. Move the mailboxes over the wire
> > 2. rehome public folder and system folder to new exchange server (use
> > pfmigrate util if you have lots of public folders)
> > 3. configure OWA, SSL, RPC/HTTPS on new server
> > 4. remove public folder replica from old server
> > 5. remove old exchange server from ExchangeOrg/AD.
> >Adarsh- Hide quoted text -

Yea. It is an Excellent Tool and has lot of control for NetAdmins. You
can rely on it for sure. But this is not the only tool for completing
the migration because it only migrates Mailboxes (no Public Folder
etc.). My Team used this tool in more than 2 migrations from Ex2K to
Ex2K3 with no problem. Last migration we migrated about 200 mailboxes
with no issue over the WAN link (1.5mbps).
Good Luck!
Adarsh

0
akudesia (9)

Copy data from one worksheet to another
Dear All, I've a worksheet contains records belong to "complete" and "incomplete" status. And I need to seperate these records manually into two seperated worksheets "complete" and "incomplete". I just wonder is there any formula to show only records which are "complete" status in a worksheet and "incomplete" in another worksheet ? It's quite clumsy to do the sorting and cut & paste to another worksheet everytime. Any idea? Thanks Best Rdgs Ellis Hi Ellis Three ways Manual Use AutoFilter and copy the visibl...

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

sender filtering on exchange 2003 server
i setup an exchange 2003 server to retreive it's e-mail from a provider's POP3 server for the time being due to the fact that the MX records haven't been changed yet. Now i enabled senderfiltering on my exchange server and it doesn't seem to work Question: Does this have anything to do with the pop3 mailbox of my provider or is there something else going on alltogether?? -- "Computers are useless, they can only give answers...." .. (Pablo Picasso) Obviously no one knows or nobody wants to help "Rik" wrote: > i setup an exchange 2003 server to re...

Look out- server dumping Outlook 2003 emails
My server is dumping Outlook 2003 e-mails before they are finally sent to people on the same e-mail network. Everyone else outside this server can recieve Outlook 2003 e-mails fine, but none on the server can? What's this server doing to me? Have anything to do with Outlook going to unicode? What mailserver are you using? Do you only have an Exchange account configured? Also contact your mail administrator to doublecheck your mailbox settings. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slip...

2 Email servers
Hi, I have 2 exchange 5.5 servers on one domain, one site. Users' mailboxes are distributed evenly between the two. I need to drop one server for a few hours to fix some hardware. Should I move mailboxes to the other server, or will incoming mail just wait at the other server until its partner is back up? Thanks Steve not sure your config, but this question is really independent of Exchange version, mail will either queue up or be denied depending on your config. If you are taking down your gateway mail server mail will be returned to the sender, if this server is at least one ...

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

Option Button
Hello, I'm using Office 2000 (Excel) and I'm trying to recreate a form from a hard copy. My computer version needs to look exactly the same. In this form there are circles that need to be filled in. I think I'm headed in the right direction by using the control toolbar and inserting option buttons since multiple circles may need to be filled in. I'm able to get all of them filled in but once they are filled in I can't get them to clear (toggle from filled in to not filled in). Any help or ideas for other ways to accomplish this task would be greatly appreciated...

Open inbox emails that have NOT been retireived from the server
How does one open inbox emails that have NOT been downloaded from the server? What version of Outlook are you using? What kind of server? Why haven't they been downloaded? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "wichitawalt" <wichitawalt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDF74F6F-C5C4-41EC-BC86-54DABEDB35A4@microsoft.com... > How does one open inbox emails th...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Copying existing sheets to another Workbook
I need help copying an existing sheet along with the links on that sheet to another workbook. I have two workbooks, say Workbook1 and Workbook2. They are the same exact workbooks with the same worksheets in them, the same layout. Only the data is different. In workbook 1 I have inserted a sheet that summarizes the data from the other sheets in that workbook. Now I want to copy that sheet to Workbook2 so that I don't have to make a summary page for Workbook2. The problem is that the sheet has links in it and when I copy and/or move the sheet to the new workbook those links are still ...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

2 Ex2k servers in one domain?
I have a single domain with one ex2k server. I just added another ex2k server that I want to share the duties. I moved my mailbox to the new server. Now no one can send me mail. Mail sent to me sits in a que on the old mail server. I can send mail to anyone on the old server. I have checked the mx records, I have a routing group set up. What am I missing? any help would be appreciated. "I have a routing group set up" Are both servers in the same one? If you setup the servers in different routing groups you will need a Routing Group connector. "Mail sent to me sits in a que ...

Option Buttons #2
I am trying to create a yes/no facility using 2 option buttons in one cell, when I then replicate the same option in the next cell down they link creating 4 options over 2 lines and so on through the entire sheet. Can these be separated into individual local cell yes/no options that are not effected by other such instances Any help much appreciated If you're using optionbuttons from the Forms toolbar, then put each group in a groupbox. If you're using optionbuttons from the controltoolbox toolbar, then give each group a nice groupname. (rightclick|properties). The groupname ...

Custom Form Error, publih to server
Hi All I'm trying to publish a new form I have created on the Administrator account of the exchange server, in outlook. When I go to publish in the Org. Forms Library, I receive the following error, "An error has occured when trying to access this folder." As this is an admin account, I am trying to find out what the error is and why it's happening, but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions Much Appreciated Jason ...

How do you change OWA to another server?
OWA is working on the exchange server through the website on the Exchange server. First, is it a good thing to have the Web Server for OWA on a different server from the Exchange server? And if so, how do you change it...? charlie On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:20:38 -0500, "charles kuchar" <charliekuchar@news.postalias> wrote: >OWA is working on the exchange server through the website on the Exchange >server. First, is it a good thing to have the Web Server for OWA on a >different server from the Exchange server? And if so, how do you change >it...? charlie ...

Server 2003
I am getting an error message while running the database on Server 2003. The error is at the terminals of something to the effect of Cannot Recognize the Database. Some here think it has to do with permissions for the server. Right now we are running the database on computer attached to the network through the server, but that isn't really what we want. Any help? We use Win2003 without any problems. In fact I upgraded one last night to SQL Express. I suppose that the log in and password for the database could be wrong. We use SQL authentication, not windows authentication. C...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

New CRM Install Error: Access is denied to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTData
We are trying to install a new instance of CRM with CRM being installed on a VMWare and SQL server being on a remote normal OS environment and this is the error we received. Any ideas? 13:09:52| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Access is denied to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTData', or the path is invalid. Full-text search was not installed properly. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.DatabaseInstaller....

Excel Charts with attached comments option
It would be good if you could add a comment to a cell and have an option when charting that cell to either show the comment or not. The comment should then be linked to that specific data point. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com...

Cannot remove Exchange 5.5 Server from Site!
Hi everyone - I have an Exchange 5.5 system with 4 NT4.0 SP6a Servers all running 5.5 SP4. I have to remove the first server in the site and have completed the migration of the first server in site roles to one of the new Exchange servers. BUT - now when I shut down the server I am trying to de-commission (as a test to see what happens with it turned off), some of my Outlook 97 users and Outlook 2001 Mac Edition users freeze up. It appears that with the OL97 PC Clients, deleting the profile and re-creating it works OK. HOWEVER, re-building the OL 2001 profiles on the Apple Macs has no effect...

How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008
I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine. However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a new operating system'. What's the hard way? In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I can use it to run these apps? SBS 2003 can't be used as a demo...

E-mail Opt-out Option
Is there a way in CRM 3.0 to add an Opt-Out option to an e-mail template? Hi, Please have a look at the following blog post of Ben Vollmer: http://blogs.msdn.com/midatlanticcrm/archive/2006/01/17/Managing-Newsletters-and-Blast-Emails-Using-Microsoft-CRM.aspx Best regards, Merijn "Steve Bambauer" wrote: > Is there a way in CRM 3.0 to add an Opt-Out option to an e-mail template? ...

ISA Server 2006: Exchange publishing
Hi, I am lost, please help! I can't get OWA and OMA/exchange-activesync to work at the same time using a single listener/ip address. I thought a big benefit of ISA 2k6 was that one can publish everything using one single external ip address? I want to use FBA for OWA. In the listener I configure ISA to use FBA (on isa level) but when I do that OMA doesn't work anymore. When I set the listener to basic authentication however OMA (and exchange active sync) works fine but than I don't have the ISA FBA anymore, which is obvious. How can I make both work at the same time? I now...

cannot connect to pop3 server
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01CAE585.CAD88900 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_001E_01CAE585.CAD88900" ------=_NextPart_001_001E_01CAE585.CAD88900 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ------=_NextPart_001_001E_01CAE585.CAD88900 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML>...