Migration from Exchange 2000 to 2003

I have added an Exchange 2003 server to an existing Exchange 2000
environment. Mail2 is the Ex 2000 server and mail3 is the new 2003
server.

I have both running to test the migration and have run into the
following problem.

Mail sent from mailboxes on the EX2003 server will hang in the queue.
This is in intermittent issue. Sometimes the mail will be delivered,
sometimes it just hangs until an NDR is generated.

The event viewer on mail3 (Exchange 2003) shows an event id 977 with the
following text Following connector fails to connect to its target bridge
head. CN=Internet Mail Service
(MAIL2),CN=Connections,CN=CSUNET,CN=Routing
Groups,CN=CSUNET,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=CSU,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=csuniv,DC=edu

Then it will show Event ID 978 with
Following connector now is ok to connect to its target bridge head.
CN=Internet Mail Service (MAIL2),CN=Connections,CN=CSUNET,CN=Routing
Groups,CN=CSUNET,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=CSU,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=csuniv,DC=edu

The mail is still stuck in the queue. Any ideas?
0
jethro374 (2)

I'd suggest you test basic network connectivity and name resolution between
both boxes. Can you ping by hostname and domain name from both boxes? Can
you telnet to port 25 between both boxes?

Nue
"Jethro" <jethro374@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have added an Exchange 2003 server to an existing Exchange 2000
> environment. Mail2 is the Ex 2000 server and mail3 is the new 2003
> server.
>
> I have both running to test the migration and have run into the
> following problem.
>
> Mail sent from mailboxes on the EX2003 server will hang in the queue.
> This is in intermittent issue. Sometimes the mail will be delivered,
> sometimes it just hangs until an NDR is generated.
>
> The event viewer on mail3 (Exchange 2003) shows an event id 977 with the
> following text Following connector fails to connect to its target bridge
> head. CN=Internet Mail Service
> (MAIL2),CN=Connections,CN=CSUNET,CN=Routing
> Groups,CN=CSUNET,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=CSU,CN=Microsoft
> Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=csuniv,DC=edu
>
> Then it will show Event ID 978 with
> Following connector now is ok to connect to its target bridge head.
> CN=Internet Mail Service (MAIL2),CN=Connections,CN=CSUNET,CN=Routing
> Groups,CN=CSUNET,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=CSU,CN=Microsoft
> Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=csuniv,DC=edu
>
> The mail is still stuck in the queue. Any ideas?

0
imaneophyte (3005)
1/23/2006 6:45:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I can ping either box from the other one, both by FQDN and by IP. I can
telnet to both from the other. When I telnet to the EX 2003 machine and
send an email it also hangs in the queue. What's odd is I haven't done
anything to the machine and it's working fine as of right now. Later
today it may not be.

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in

> I'd suggest you test basic network connectivity and name resolution
> between both boxes. Can you ping by hostname and domain name from both
> boxes? Can you telnet to port 25 between both boxes?
>
> Nue
> "Jethro" <jethro374@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have added an Exchange 2003 server to an existing Exchange 2000
>> environment. Mail2 is the Ex 2000 server and mail3 is the new 2003
>> server.
>>
>> I have both running to test the migration and have run into the
>> following problem.
>>
>> Mail sent from mailboxes on the EX2003 server will hang in the queue.
>> This is in intermittent issue. Sometimes the mail will be delivered,
>> sometimes it just hangs until an NDR is generated.
>>
>> The event viewer on mail3 (Exchange 2003) shows an event id 977 with
>> the following text Following connector fails to connect to its target
>> bridge head. CN=Internet Mail Service
>> (MAIL2),CN=Connections,CN=CSUNET,CN=Routing
>> Groups,CN=CSUNET,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=CSU,CN=Microsoft
>> Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=csuniv,DC=edu
>>
>> Then it will show Event ID 978 with
>> Following connector now is ok to connect to its target bridge head.
>> CN=Internet Mail Service (MAIL2),CN=Connections,CN=CSUNET,CN=Routing
>> Groups,CN=CSUNET,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=CSU,CN=Microsoft
>> Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=csuniv,DC=edu
>>
>> The mail is still stuck in the queue. Any ideas?

0
jethro374 (2)

We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit.
We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit... Please put your question in the body of your post. The subject isn't big enough. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Des" <Des@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:445B6C35-2C3B-4BB3-BDC2-438B4281DCC5@microsoft.com... > We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit... Des <Des@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Exchange 2003 Send as Permissions
Hi, I am running a 2003 Exchange server. I set the 'send as' permission via the 'Permissions' (edit ACL) tab for User1 to send on behalf of User2. This then works for around 24 hours, at which point the permissions are removed. I assume that some type of maintenance routine is removing the relevant permissions, not sure why or how however! I know you can set the 'send on behalf of' setting but this displays the mail in a way that the recipient can tell who has really sent the mail - my customer does not want this! Any suggestions (sensible ones anyway) would be great...

MS Outlook Calender issue
Unable to create an appointment. Receive Error:"The form required to view this message can not be displayed. Contact your administrator." ...

Exchange, Win, AD 2000 to 2003 upgrade
I'm planning out the upgrade of a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 all on separate W2k boxes (FE & BE config) to a fully AD/Win/Exch 2003 environment. I'm planning on the following steps: 1) Upgrade Exch 2000 FE to Exch 2003 FE 2) Upgrade Exch 2000 BE to Exch 2003 BE 3) Upgrade FE to Win 2003 4) Upgrade BE to Win 2003 5) Upgrade 2000 AD to 2003 I'm trying to figure out any advantages to doing the AD upgrade before or after the Exchange upgrades. I've seen it recommended to do it first, but it seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. Can't find any tech doc th...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

how do I fill in a cell with text in Excel macro (2003)
Hi, I am running a macro where I copy and paste values from workbook to another. Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it from another workbook. Kind regards, Rikin > Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it from > another workbook. Yes Range("A1").value="Sometext" Mike "Rikin" wrote: > Hi, > > I am running a macro where I copy and paste values from workbook to another. > Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it fro...

Exchange 2003 Startup Problems
Hello Got into the office this morning to find our exchange server not working. Getting these errors in the log file, the mailbox store won't startup. event id 455 - ESE Information Store (4888) First Storage Group: Error -1811 occurred while opening logfile D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\EXCHANGE.log\E0001E02.log. Also getting event id 9518 that the information store won't start up. Anyone have any ideas how to rectify this? The log file it's talking about doesn't exist on the machine, the last log file i have is E0001E00.log from 1.43am this morning. Thanks for you...

Look out- server dumping Outlook 2003 emails
My server is dumping Outlook 2003 e-mails before they are finally sent to people on the same e-mail network. Everyone else outside this server can recieve Outlook 2003 e-mails fine, but none on the server can? What's this server doing to me? Have anything to do with Outlook going to unicode? What mailserver are you using? Do you only have an Exchange account configured? Also contact your mail administrator to doublecheck your mailbox settings. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slip...

sender filtering on exchange 2003 server
i setup an exchange 2003 server to retreive it's e-mail from a provider's POP3 server for the time being due to the fact that the MX records haven't been changed yet. Now i enabled senderfiltering on my exchange server and it doesn't seem to work Question: Does this have anything to do with the pop3 mailbox of my provider or is there something else going on alltogether?? -- "Computers are useless, they can only give answers...." .. (Pablo Picasso) Obviously no one knows or nobody wants to help "Rik" wrote: > i setup an exchange 2003 server to re...

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

Can't find a link to download the Office 2003 Student and Teacher
Why can't I find the link to download Office 2003 Student and Teacher Ed? I have the product key but my original cd has gone missing... Help! Because the link doesn't exist. Contact the vendor from where you purchased it. "TRenee" <TRenee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0832A59-9C02-462E-8614-D61AAC37DF33@microsoft.com... : Why can't I find the link to download Office 2003 Student and Teacher Ed? I : have the product key but my original cd has gone missing... Help! How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service p...

outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange Server 2003
I have a multihomed environment and am trying to connect my user to my exchange 2003 server. The Primary NIC is used for Internet access and the Secondary is used the connect to my Exchange server. When I setup Outlook 2003 in the Exchange Server field it always wants to resolve the server name to the FQDN. Then it searches for the public IP Address on the Primary NIC. If I ping the server name it knows which NIC to use and doesn't have a problem. How can i set it up to only look for the server name? try entering the IP address of the server instead of the name for resoluti...

Is this possible within Excel 2000?
Hi, I've used Excel on a get by basis for many years at work, and I'm just beginning to realise its vast capabilities, having viewed several groups which I didn't know existed previously. I subsequently would like to ask if it is possible for Excel to look at the numerical or text content of a cell on one worksheet and then look at a predefined range on another worksheet and find the equivalent cell content and then move the cursor to that cell? This has me stumped presently. Thanks in advance for any assistance. J.J. To actually move the selection, you'd need to use a litt...

Problem to import folders from old .PST files to Outlook 2003
Have upgraded from Outlook 2002 to Outlook 2003. I had several Personal Maps (One Map containing the E-Mail for each previous years, like Outlook2003, Outlook2002, etc.). When I try to import the old .pst Personal Maps to my new Outlook 2004 Personal Map (with the new format), the folders inside each of the Map are not visible, and I am not able to import any data at all. Is it possible to create several Personal Maps in Outlook 2004, and how to I create a new one? What do you mean by Personal Maps? Assuming you are talking about Personal Folders (PST files) they are perfectly compati...

Exchange 2003 computer account
I am running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 network (AD). One of my admins was trying to test the exchange restore, but he screwed up. He setup a test network, isolated from production network. He tried to do restore from tape, etc, etc. I still don't know exactly what he did, but our production exchange is not part of network anymore.. I notice the Exchange server name was missing from Exchange Domain Servers groups in AD. So I added back in. The computer name is still in AD. However we cannot login into Exchange server into domain. When I try to do that, I get a message that says: Window...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

Exchange 2003 Statistics
How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to extract this information. Looking for the number of emails sent internally vs. externally. Message Tracking logs, PerfMon, 3rd party products (you can start your research at www.quest.com). Shawn wrote: > How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per > day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to > extract this information. Looking for the number of emails s...

Server 2003
I am getting an error message while running the database on Server 2003. The error is at the terminals of something to the effect of Cannot Recognize the Database. Some here think it has to do with permissions for the server. Right now we are running the database on computer attached to the network through the server, but that isn't really what we want. Any help? We use Win2003 without any problems. In fact I upgraded one last night to SQL Express. I suppose that the log in and password for the database could be wrong. We use SQL authentication, not windows authentication. C...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

Publisher SB Edition 2003 Keeps Shutting Down
Please help, everytime I try to open a file in publisher I get an error message and it keeps shutting down, the message states 'publisher failed to start correctly - do you want to open in safe mode' (i'm not very technical so any help would be great) Thanks ...

Cannot remove Exchange 5.5 Server from Site!
Hi everyone - I have an Exchange 5.5 system with 4 NT4.0 SP6a Servers all running 5.5 SP4. I have to remove the first server in the site and have completed the migration of the first server in site roles to one of the new Exchange servers. BUT - now when I shut down the server I am trying to de-commission (as a test to see what happens with it turned off), some of my Outlook 97 users and Outlook 2001 Mac Edition users freeze up. It appears that with the OL97 PC Clients, deleting the profile and re-creating it works OK. HOWEVER, re-building the OL 2001 profiles on the Apple Macs has no effect...

user files in exchange
How can I program exchange to delete "delete" folder contents after 5 days? How about the "sent" contents after 30 days? thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES rrego@njpies.org Hi Raul You dont mention what version of Exchange you have, but you can use the Mailbox Manager feature, here are some links that should help you out: Exchange 5.5 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305109 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/maintain/mailmg.mspx Exchange 2000 SP1 & Exchange 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278024 ...

How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008
I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine. However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a new operating system'. What's the hard way? In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I can use it to run these apps? SBS 2003 can't be used as a demo...