Migration from Exch5.5 to Exch2003 #2

Here's my current setup:

1 NT4 PDC
1 NT4 BDC which also hosts Exch5.5
all with the latest SPs (OS and Exch SPs), and I only got 1 NT4 domain

I've read quite a few posts @ microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
group. The recommended upgrade is like the following:

- Install NT4 on a new server as a BDC on the network
- Syncs with all domain controllers to get the latest update
- Promote it to a PDC (at this point, the original PDC gets demoted to a
BDC, so I have 2 BDCs)
- Install W2003 server and AD on the new PDC

Sounds like an easy task but at this point I'm not sure if my Exch5.5 will
still run. After upgrading NT4 PDC to W2k3 AD, all I have is just 2 BDCs
(one of which is my Exch5.5). Will Exch5.5 still work if there's no PDC?
Should I re-promote the original server back to become a PDC? I'm totally
lost. I don't get satisfactory answer at the migration newsgroup. I hope
someone can answer it here. What the best way to migrate to W2k3 AD in my
environment with an Exch5.5 mail server? Thanks much.

The first 2003 DC acts as a PDC so your BDCs will be ok.  Add the AD
connector once you have a Exch 2003 server and do a move mialbox.

"Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message
> Here's my current setup:
>
> 1 NT4 PDC
> 1 NT4 BDC which also hosts Exch5.5
> all with the latest SPs (OS and Exch SPs), and I only got 1 NT4 domain
>
> I've read quite a few posts @ microsoft.public.windows.server.migration
> group. The recommended upgrade is like the following:
>
> - Install NT4 on a new server as a BDC on the network
> - Syncs with all domain controllers to get the latest update
> - Promote it to a PDC (at this point, the original PDC gets demoted to a
> BDC, so I have 2 BDCs)
> - Install W2003 server and AD on the new PDC
>
> Sounds like an easy task but at this point I'm not sure if my Exch5.5 will
> still run. After upgrading NT4 PDC to W2k3 AD, all I have is just 2 BDCs
> (one of which is my Exch5.5). Will Exch5.5 still work if there's no PDC?
> Should I re-promote the original server back to become a PDC? I'm totally
> lost. I don't get satisfactory answer at the migration newsgroup. I hope
> someone can answer it here. What the best way to migrate to W2k3 AD in my
> environment with an Exch5.5 mail server? Thanks much.

0
BigHaig1 (5)

OMA Exchange 2003 ActiveSync Mobile 5.0
I am trying to get a Mobile 5.0 device to work with Exchange 2003. I have read the installs and KB's. This is where I am at. Server Windows 2003 Server Standard Exchange 2003 Standard SP2 OWA OMA ActiveSync Mobile Device Verizon XV6700 PocketPC Mobile 5.0 OWA is working fine and has been for some time. I installed OMA and ActiveSync. OMA is working fine now from a laptop and from the mobile device. All are using SSL. The thing that does not work is ActiveSync via Verizons broadband network. When I try to sync it says that I am not conencting to an Exchange Server. Guarantee that I have...

Sharing Outlook 2003 #2
I have 3 PC's on my home network. Can I use the same pst file on all 3 machines? anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: || I have 3 PC's on my home network. Can I use the same pst || file on all 3 machines? You can. BUT - this is NOT supported by Microsoft. So make sure you take regular, frequent backups of the pst file. Move the pst file to a shared area and just point all instances of Outlook at it. Note: - you can only access the file with one instance of Outlook at any one time. if you wish to access from a different machine to the current one, you MUST close outlook on...

Backing up Exhange 5.5 mailboxes
I've temporarily lost my nightly backup ability and would like to manually copy or backup the mailboxes to a drive on another machine. Does anyone know an easy way to do this? Is it possible to just copy and paste mailboxes to another drive? If it has to be a NTBackup what files to do I actually backup? Thanks for any response. NTBackup will not back up individual mailboxes. Exmerge can export all mailboxes to a pst file, which could then be copied to another location, but I would ask what your goal is in doing this? If you aren't performing an online backup, then your tr...

Organizational Chart #2
Here is one for all of you...I seem to have NO problem in creating an organizational chart; I have no trouble adding coworkers, assistants, or subordinates. BUT, I AM UNABLE TO DELETE A MISTAKE. I CANNOT DELETE A BOX THAT I JUST PREVIOUSLY INSERTED. THE EXCEL INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO SELECT THE "BOX", THEN PRESS THE "DELETE" KEY!!!! BUT IT DOES NOT WORK!! Please Advise. Thanks, Larry I could delete stuff (xl2002) by using the delete key. Does it work when you right click on the box and select Cut? You were actually editting the object--not just clicking on it when ...

exchange 2003 logs #2
Hi, I want to see email going out and coming in in log, like old exchange 5.5 event id 2001 and 2002, which logs should turn it on? thanks. al -- 007 SMTP Protocol logs should give fair amount of detail about smtp traffic. Message Tracking logs if you know what you're looking for (particular sender/recipient etc.) -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "wtk" <wtk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD9BA8D9-FE20-413B-8F2C-35D51988E635@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I want ...

Problems with Exchange 5.5 on windows 2000 Active Directory migration to Exchange 2003
Hi All I hope that someone out there can help me. I have an exchange 5.5 system sitting on a windows 2000 server Active directory server. I have installed a new windows 2003 server with exchange 2003 as the messaging platform. I have gone through the prep for windows 2000, moved all the roles, joined the domain and that all worked out great. The problem is that when I run the exchange migration wizard I get the following error: Unable to logon to the server. Please verify the server name, port, user name and password. I believe that this is a problem relating to the LDAP port (3...

Comparing first and last names in two lists #5

CCheckListBox, #2
how to make CCheckListBox not to recevie the user input? it is used to display status only. but I can programmingly call SetCheck to check it. You could make the control read only or disable it. It will display a little differently, but it will do what you want. Tom "Patrick Zou" <patrick_zou@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uWkyBaSaEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > how to make CCheckListBox not to recevie the user input? it is used to > display status only. but I can programmingly call SetCheck to check it. > > ...

System Attendant Mailbox #2
This mailbox contains only 6 items but it's size is 264mb. We are running short on space on this drive and I have tried to access this mailbox to see what it contains but have had no luck. I thought it was supposed to store monitoring messages etc. Is there any way I can access/purge this, I can't find any way via management console. The following steps should allow you to access the mailbox and remove information from it: *** Problem Description *** The following are instructions for logging on to the System Attendant Mailbox in Exchange 2000: <><><><&...

ERROR 2349 #2
I had a crash and had to reinstall MO 2000. It comes up with an error 2349 and won't continue installing. Any ideas? OFF2000: You Receive an "Error 2349" Error Message During Installation http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302399 OFF2000: Error Message: Internal Error 2349: Copy Resumed with Different Info http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329386 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MISH" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Database Will Not Migrate or Repair
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I have a fully functional version of Office 2004 - with all of the latest updates - with an Entourage database that is about 10.5 gb. I was able to install 2008 and without any problems. When I go to start Entourage 2008 it went through a very long process to upgrade the messages and then at the very end indicates that there is a problem accessing the data and to repair the database. (it does not show up in the 2008 repair utility) When I go back to 2004 and do a verify there are no problems reported. I can compact the...

2 sservers not replicating
Hi all, I've installed a second Exchnage 2003 server in my organisation. All initially looked OK. The new server has smtp authentication set for external email and all mail is being routed. However, when I look in the queue of the new server there are 50+ messages destined for the other server. On closer inspection these look like synchronisation messages (they are from server-IS). I do seem to be having sync. issues as I have followed instructions to remove the old server i.e. replicate public folder/OAB etc. but there are problems. Could this be it? If so, how do I allow ...

Internet Mail Service Queues #2
Hello- NT 4.0 Server SP6 with Exchange 5.5 SP4 When I look at the Internet Mail Service Queues I see my test emails to another email account of mine still sitting in the Outbound Messages Awaiting Conversion although I have already received the message. When I click on the details of my message it states for a retry immediate, but I have yet to receive a second email, but am wondering if I have already received the message why is it still in the queue? Thanks for any insight anyone may be able to provide. It could glitch when updating queue.dat. Stop IMS, rename that file, start ...

Auto sum / total 2 fields in a record
Auto sum 2 fields in a record Hi. This is incredibly easy to do in Excel but I’m afraid it’s eluding and frustrating me in Access!!! I have a very simple table with 5 columns formatted to collect money amounts. So, the User would enter the 5 money amounts into each record. So far so good…. The first 2 fields in each record collect “Income from farm”, the second field collects “Income from shop”. I’d like a 3rd field to automatically add up the content of what’s been entered in the first 2 fields (the 3rd field should never accept user input directly) and display that resul...

How to get around 22 inch (55.87 cm) page length limit in Access 2
I've been using Access 2007 to design a questionnaire that can be completed on-screen. All was going well until I had used up the first 22 inches, when I discovered that Access has an in-built limit on page length. I've tried obvious things like inserting page breaks, changing 'Detail Properties' etc, but I can't find any way around it. Can anyone advise the most simple way of extending the length of an Access document? =?Utf-8?B?ZGVsZg==?= <delf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:C3DAAEAF-56D3-4577-9381-D8733C86EF17@microsoft.com: > I've been ...

Office Crashes on Launch #2
I've tried everything I can think of but I can't fix this problem: When trying to launch any of the Office applications, they crash just after the splash screen comes up. However, if I double click an existing document, they launch normally. All other applications on my system run just fine. I'm using Office X 10.1.9 on a MacPro running OS X 10.4.9. I have deactived all of my fonts except those installed by the OS in the System>Fonts folder. I've deleted all the various preference files from User>Library>Preferences>Microsolt numerous times. I've uninstalled ...

Entering Mutliple times in a cell #2
So with the 2 replies I have so far, I gather that I can't put the 3 times in one cell and Excel is able to calculate it?? -- gary66 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gary66's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16060 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=275186 Yes .. you'll get #VALUE! -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "gary66" <gary66.1f89e0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:gary66.1f...

Outlook 2002 sends blank body emails #2
Hi All, I've been having this problem on and off for a couple of months. The frustrating thing about it that it only happens on a few emails and I don't seem to be able to replicate the issue on demand. Problem. When sending and replying to an email the body of the email is sent blank. It is sent thru to the recipient as blank and also appears in my sent items as blank. I send my emails as HTML through an exchange server. I'm using Outlook 2002 SP-2 (10.4712.4219) and Windows 2000 Professional. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Regard gibby157 ...

Money 2005
Recently up-graded to Money 2005 from 2004. When I started my computer in 04 my bills and deposits were displayed. In 05 they are not. I have set the option for the display but find it only on the Home Page. Am I doing something incorrectly? Any help appreciated. GOD BLESS -- Tom aa_FLHTCUI_00@hotmail.com_aa (Remove aa to reply) In microsoft.public.money, Tom wrote: >Recently up-graded to Money 2005 from 2004. When I started my computer in 04 >my bills and deposits were displayed. In 05 they are not. I have set the >option for the display but find it only...

reconciling 2 bank accounts at same time
We have recently upgraded to version 9 of GP. With the old version, we could have 2 different users reconcile 2 different bank accounts at the same time with no issues. Since we have upgraded to version 9, 2 people can reconcile at the same time, however, when the 2nd person begins the reconciliation after the 1st has begun their reconciliation, he/she can see all of the transactions from the bank account the 1st person is reconciling. They can still reconcile and get the correct balance, however, when they print the reconciliation, it shows the checks from both bank accounts on the ...

How to modify the Expression1 or 2 of an existing FormatCondition?
Hi, I try to programmatically propagate the change of a name of a table field through all my forms and reports, but got stuck with modifying conditional formatting where the name change is to be applied to the condition expressions themselves. So, the specified colors etcetera must not be changed, only the conditions. I tried For Each obj In db.Containers("Forms").Documents DoCmd.OpenForm obj.Name, acDesign Set frm = Forms(obj.Name) For Each ctl In frm.Controls For i = 0 To ctl.FormatConditions.Count -1 Set fcd = ctl.FormatConditions....

Duplicate messages #2
I have an exchange 5.5 server, In a couple of instances we have experienced the same message delivered multiple times to the same recipients. Has this come up before for anyone else and if so what is the workaround? Thanks ...

SmartList Builder not forming SQL correctly #2
Does anyone know if Problem report 47625: Restrictions don't work if have more than one on a SmartList. There was post almost a year ago that said SP3 - can't tell from the fix list if in SP3 or hotfix. {it points to a bug in Smartlist Builder where more than one restriction does not work because it fails to append an "AND" in the SQL it generates. } Any input is appreacited ...

SBS 2000 and 2 system mailboxes
Somehow I've managed to acquire a second systemmailbox. I'm not sure where it came from but it's possible that it was created after a major Exchange failure a while back. In any case, the 'spare' mailbox has a red X on it and doesn't seem to have been logged on since October so I can assume it's a dead remnant of the failure. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems but I'd like to get rid of it all the same... But I can't. How do I go about removing it? The two mailboxes both seem identical... SystemMailbox{B6E33B27-5E97-4897-B2E5-A05C93F0C81C} If...

OWA w/ 2 SMTP domains
Ok, so I think I followed what is supposed to be done to allow this to work but it's still not working. Here's what I did. I created a new Recipient Policy for the 2nd domain (let's say it's xyz.com). Then in ESM, I right-clicked Exchange Virtual Server on the front-end server and created a new Virtual Directory. I modified the domain to be from the recipient policy i just created and then I hit apply and OK. Is it supposed to work right after that or does something else need to be done. Whenever I try to browse the page, I get a Page Cannot Be Found error. Can an...