Migration Exch 5.5 to Exch 2003 - urgent questions

Hello all.

I had a lot of fun with our old Exchange server lately as I have the
function of an admin here in our small company, but to be true: I am none.
Making a lot of errors, learning more.

At last we convinced the boss to buy new software, even though it was not in
our "investment plan".
New software yes, but not new hardware.

Ok, here my problems are starting...

This is current:
PDC with Win NT 4.0 (2 GB first harddisk partition - WHY?)
BDC with Win NT 4.0 (same 2GB partition thing, is there a special reason for
it? This prevents me from "simple updating" the computer) and Exchange 5.5

I may have one additional temporary PC with nothing special, no SCSI and no
RAID.

New Software: Server 2003 and Exchange 2003

I can backup a lot of data, but I need the mails/calendar/notices of the
current Exchange.

I thought offline folders would help me, but the last crash got the better
of me - instead of leaving the offline folders as they were the backup threw
them back in time (I was forced to use a backup of 2 weeks ago as it didn't
work with the actual backups - the database inconsistent and the tools
destroy all data in pub.edb, so I have to work with the inconsistent stuff)

So why aren't offline folders left like they are?

They are on the harddisks of each one here as a PST-file....
If they would be left unchanged I could make everybody move everything they
still need into this PST file and then just format the server harddisks and
build it up from scratch.

Would it help to move the mails into those folders and then delete the
service till the new servers are set up completly?

Or would these mails be deleted as soon as I choose them as offline folder
again in configuration?

Which other things could I do?

Thanks for your answers in advance,

Gesa Zimmermann

0
gesaz (1)

"Gesa Zimmermann" <gesaz@gmx.net> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>This is current:
>PDC with Win NT 4.0 (2 GB first harddisk partition - WHY?)
>BDC with Win NT 4.0 (same 2GB partition thing, is there a special reason for
>it? This prevents me from "simple updating" the computer) and Exchange 5.5

probably beause the machines were installed when 2GB was the max
partition size.

>I may have one additional temporary PC with nothing special, no SCSI and no
>RAID.

install NT4 on it. then promote it to pdc. upgrade that to e2k3. then
uninstall the bdc and install w2k3 on it and dcpromo to domain
controller. then do the same thing to the old pdc. now transfer the
fsmo roles to the old pds and dcpromo the temporary pc back to a
member server.

>New Software: Server 2003 and Exchange 2003
>
>I can backup a lot of data, but I need the mails/calendar/notices of the
>current Exchange.
>
>I thought offline folders would help me, but the last crash got the better
>of me - instead of leaving the offline folders as they were the backup threw
>them back in time (I was forced to use a backup of 2 weeks ago as it didn't
>work with the actual backups - the database inconsistent and the tools
>destroy all data in pub.edb, so I have to work with the inconsistent stuff)
>
>So why aren't offline folders left like they are?

ost files are almost mirror copies of the mailbox. restoring a backup
should not have removed anything from those files.

>They are on the harddisks of each one here as a PST-file....
>If they would be left unchanged I could make everybody move everything they
>still need into this PST file and then just format the server harddisks and
>build it up from scratch.

pst files are certainly not affected by changes in the server's
database. they are separate information stores.

>Would it help to move the mails into those folders and then delete the
>service till the new servers are set up completly?

no. use that temporary pc to build a new exchange server. then move
the mailboxes and public folders to it. you'll have to use the adc to
get the information from the 5.5 directory to the active directory.
when you finish, remove the 5.5 server from the organization (follow
the ms technet articles on this). rebuild the 5.5 server with w2k3 and
e2k3 and then transfer everything back to it. follow the ms technet
articles for removing the 1st e2k3 server.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

rounding in multiples of 5
Hi, How do I ensure the cell content is always a multiple of 5 without running a macro? I currently have the following formula in the cell, which only works to modify if the contents are below 5: =IF(C6>0,IF(C16+C17<5,5,MROUND(C16+C17,5)),0) Can someone help? Thanks! USe data validation on cells where you want the user to enter the values that are multioples of 5 by selecting Custom and entering the following: - =MOD(A1,5)=0 If the result is not zero it will give an error message "Jason" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:ORhv%23lSiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx...

Exchange 2003 Send as Permissions
Hi, I am running a 2003 Exchange server. I set the 'send as' permission via the 'Permissions' (edit ACL) tab for User1 to send on behalf of User2. This then works for around 24 hours, at which point the permissions are removed. I assume that some type of maintenance routine is removing the relevant permissions, not sure why or how however! I know you can set the 'send on behalf of' setting but this displays the mail in a way that the recipient can tell who has really sent the mail - my customer does not want this! Any suggestions (sensible ones anyway) would be great...

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit.
We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit... Please put your question in the body of your post. The subject isn't big enough. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Des" <Des@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:445B6C35-2C3B-4BB3-BDC2-438B4281DCC5@microsoft.com... > We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit... Des <Des@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Outlook 2003 keeps corrupting my PST
I have used Outlook for years now, but not until 2003 have I been ready to throw it out the window. My experience has been: 1) OL constantly gets locked up forcing me to kill the process - it often pegs the processor at 100% 2) OL constantly corrupts the PST - I often have to use SCAN PST 4-5 times a day. Corruptions do not always follow lock-up, but often do. 3) I constantly get messages saying OL is low on resources and then it will not allow an operation such as saving the email (so I can restart and complete), or send 4) OL has trouble exporting to other files, moving messages to f...

Free Busy in 2003
Just installed Outlook 2003 on a new server and cannot get others free/busy information. Permissions are not the issue. Under appointment, it says no information available when setting up appointments. ...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Exchange, Win, AD 2000 to 2003 upgrade
I'm planning out the upgrade of a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 all on separate W2k boxes (FE & BE config) to a fully AD/Win/Exch 2003 environment. I'm planning on the following steps: 1) Upgrade Exch 2000 FE to Exch 2003 FE 2) Upgrade Exch 2000 BE to Exch 2003 BE 3) Upgrade FE to Win 2003 4) Upgrade BE to Win 2003 5) Upgrade 2000 AD to 2003 I'm trying to figure out any advantages to doing the AD upgrade before or after the Exchange upgrades. I've seen it recommended to do it first, but it seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. Can't find any tech doc th...

Problems with Window in Dialog Owner Draw? #5
I Skin the CDialog based windows,in the window,the Minbox and MaxBox and CloseBox are exist,the title bar are Owner drawed of cause and the three "button",They show well,but the button in the task bar that stand for the Dialog ,does not work well, when the dialog is active,you click the button in task bar the dialog can not hide(Or as we say the dialog in min state.). thanks, Tylor ...

To set up and print two pages on one 8.5 x 11 landscape sheet?
I am trying to set up two pages each 5.5 wide by 8.5 high on one 8.5 x 11 landscape sheet to print in an 5.5 x 8.5 binder so I need the inside margin to be wider. I can't find this in my Office 2000 help or on line. It seems so simple and while they have postcards and other sizes they don't seem to have half size side by side. Serena Is this a Publisher question?? Setup your page for 8.5 x 11 landscape Then set your layout guides the way you want Arrange | Layout Guides. I usually set a vertical center line at 5.5 then put guides where I want the gutter. Then...

Exchange 2003 Startup Problems
Hello Got into the office this morning to find our exchange server not working. Getting these errors in the log file, the mailbox store won't startup. event id 455 - ESE Information Store (4888) First Storage Group: Error -1811 occurred while opening logfile D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\EXCHANGE.log\E0001E02.log. Also getting event id 9518 that the information store won't start up. Anyone have any ideas how to rectify this? The log file it's talking about doesn't exist on the machine, the last log file i have is E0001E00.log from 1.43am this morning. Thanks for you...

how do I fill in a cell with text in Excel macro (2003)
Hi, I am running a macro where I copy and paste values from workbook to another. Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it from another workbook. Kind regards, Rikin > Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it from > another workbook. Yes Range("A1").value="Sometext" Mike "Rikin" wrote: > Hi, > > I am running a macro where I copy and paste values from workbook to another. > Is it possible to fill in a cell with text without having to copying it fro...

sender filtering on exchange 2003 server
i setup an exchange 2003 server to retreive it's e-mail from a provider's POP3 server for the time being due to the fact that the MX records haven't been changed yet. Now i enabled senderfiltering on my exchange server and it doesn't seem to work Question: Does this have anything to do with the pop3 mailbox of my provider or is there something else going on alltogether?? -- "Computers are useless, they can only give answers...." .. (Pablo Picasso) Obviously no one knows or nobody wants to help "Rik" wrote: > i setup an exchange 2003 server to re...

Look out- server dumping Outlook 2003 emails
My server is dumping Outlook 2003 e-mails before they are finally sent to people on the same e-mail network. Everyone else outside this server can recieve Outlook 2003 e-mails fine, but none on the server can? What's this server doing to me? Have anything to do with Outlook going to unicode? What mailserver are you using? Do you only have an Exchange account configured? Also contact your mail administrator to doublecheck your mailbox settings. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slip...

Outlook 2003
I added the newsreader to the Go menu. It worked. I rebooted at some point and now the news item is not on the go Menu and it is not avaible to be added. Will I have to restore my system to an earlier date or is there an easier way to add it back. I have no problems working in the registry. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No ...

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Exchange 2003 Statistics
How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to extract this information. Looking for the number of emails sent internally vs. externally. Message Tracking logs, PerfMon, 3rd party products (you can start your research at www.quest.com). Shawn wrote: > How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per > day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to > extract this information. Looking for the number of emails s...

Outlook 2003 News Reader problems
I'm having problems getting the news reader to work with Outlook 2003 Professional.... It works once and then fails and seems to point to this directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033 That is when it shows up in the Go menu... most of the time the link is not there... Any ideas... I hate having to use OX to view newsgroups... sort of defeats the purpose... Steve You hate "having to use OX to view newsgroups?" What did you think you were using before? OE has always been the news reader for Outlook. Configure it as such in Control Panel > Internet option...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

Cannot remove Exchange 5.5 Server from Site!
Hi everyone - I have an Exchange 5.5 system with 4 NT4.0 SP6a Servers all running 5.5 SP4. I have to remove the first server in the site and have completed the migration of the first server in site roles to one of the new Exchange servers. BUT - now when I shut down the server I am trying to de-commission (as a test to see what happens with it turned off), some of my Outlook 97 users and Outlook 2001 Mac Edition users freeze up. It appears that with the OL97 PC Clients, deleting the profile and re-creating it works OK. HOWEVER, re-building the OL 2001 profiles on the Apple Macs has no effect...

Publisher SB Edition 2003 Keeps Shutting Down
Please help, everytime I try to open a file in publisher I get an error message and it keeps shutting down, the message states 'publisher failed to start correctly - do you want to open in safe mode' (i'm not very technical so any help would be great) Thanks ...

Uninstalling and downgrading from 2007 to 2003
Ok, here we go. My beta just expired and I would like to downgrade back to my old office 2003. What do I need to backup? and How do I do it? I need EVERYTHING from outlook. Mails, Folders, Tasks, Notes and Calendar items. Import/Export seems to be disabled. Please help me. Thanks, emp emp <mklinge@gmail.com> wrote: > Ok, here we go. > My beta just expired and I would like to downgrade back to my old > office 2003. > What do I need to backup? and How do I do it? > > I need EVERYTHING from outlook. Mails, Folders, Tasks, Notes and > Calendar items. Since Outlo...

Outlook 2003 #288
I am using an outlook connected to exchange server for my emails. when i'm not on cached mode, i can successfully send a "do not deliver before" prescribed time email. the exchange will put my message into the some kind of "deferred queue" and exchange will deliver the email at the time specified even though i dont have my outlook running at when the time comes because of that "deferred queue". but when I'm in cached mode. that email just sits there in my outbox and it doesn't actually being sent out to the server "deferred queue". The reaso...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...