Migrating Mailboxes from one domain to another domain

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to do something and was
wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I need to migrate user mailboxes from one server to another, easy enough
right...
well here is where my issues are.

server one is in say abc.local domain
server two is in say xyz.local domain

there are the same users in both domains, with the same naming convention.
so to clear that up if i have a user called ttest in domain abc, user ttest
is also in xyz.

the old administration had seperated these domains due to function and
security, but now they want to consolidate servers..etc etc.

Is there a way i can even do this?
can i move the mailbox that is assigned to user ttest in domain abc
to the user account in domain xyz

no mailboxes are created in the domain that i want to move all the mailboxes
to, just users, rights and groups.

any help is greatly appreciated on this, as i am out in left field i believe

oh i should also mention, i setup a two way trust between the domains and
that is working, but the migration wizard on the domain that has exchange and
the mailboxes will not find the newly installed exchange server on in the
other domain.

again thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
0
Brian8214 (439)

This KB can resolve your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328871/en-us

--
Jorge Patricio D�az Guzm�n
MVP Exchange 2006

----
"brian" <brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to do something and was
> wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
>
> I need to migrate user mailboxes from one server to another, easy enough
> right...
> well here is where my issues are.
>
> server one is in say abc.local domain
> server two is in say xyz.local domain
>
> there are the same users in both domains, with the same naming convention.
> so to clear that up if i have a user called ttest in domain abc, user
> ttest
> is also in xyz.
>
> the old administration had seperated these domains due to function and
> security, but now they want to consolidate servers..etc etc.
>
> Is there a way i can even do this?
> can i move the mailbox that is assigned to user ttest in domain abc
> to the user account in domain xyz
>
> no mailboxes are created in the domain that i want to move all the
> mailboxes
> to, just users, rights and groups.
>
> any help is greatly appreciated on this, as i am out in left field i
> believe
>
> oh i should also mention, i setup a two way trust between the domains and
> that is working, but the migration wizard on the domain that has exchange
> and
> the mailboxes will not find the newly installed exchange server on in the
> other domain.
>
> again thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Create mailbox rights
Hi all, I need to grant helpdesk employees the ability to create mailboxes. Where is the permission set for this right? Here is the request I got from the help manager: Can you verify or who do we get rights from to create new user email accounts for your domain? We can create the AD account, but not the email. (We have several child domain in the same forest here) Thanks for help! Grant the group of helpdesk employees the Exchange View-Only Administrator role by using the Delegation wizard. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" &...

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Copy data from one worksheet to another
Dear All, I've a worksheet contains records belong to "complete" and "incomplete" status. And I need to seperate these records manually into two seperated worksheets "complete" and "incomplete". I just wonder is there any formula to show only records which are "complete" status in a worksheet and "incomplete" in another worksheet ? It's quite clumsy to do the sorting and cut & paste to another worksheet everytime. Any idea? Thanks Best Rdgs Ellis Hi Ellis Three ways Manual Use AutoFilter and copy the visibl...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Copying existing sheets to another Workbook
I need help copying an existing sheet along with the links on that sheet to another workbook. I have two workbooks, say Workbook1 and Workbook2. They are the same exact workbooks with the same worksheets in them, the same layout. Only the data is different. In workbook 1 I have inserted a sheet that summarizes the data from the other sheets in that workbook. Now I want to copy that sheet to Workbook2 so that I don't have to make a summary page for Workbook2. The problem is that the sheet has links in it and when I copy and/or move the sheet to the new workbook those links are still ...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

2 Ex2k servers in one domain?
I have a single domain with one ex2k server. I just added another ex2k server that I want to share the duties. I moved my mailbox to the new server. Now no one can send me mail. Mail sent to me sits in a que on the old mail server. I can send mail to anyone on the old server. I have checked the mx records, I have a routing group set up. What am I missing? any help would be appreciated. "I have a routing group set up" Are both servers in the same one? If you setup the servers in different routing groups you will need a Routing Group connector. "Mail sent to me sits in a que ...

mailbox limited
Hi all How can i do this in exchange 2003 I have two distribution group, which are student and staff. I want to set mailbox limited on staff to 40 and student to to 20 How can I acheive it ?? Thanks I would like to know how to do this too.Isn't there what's called a "mail policy" (not in group policy" where you can do this and also set retention time for deleted items, sent items etc for different groups in AD? "hh" wrote: > Hi all > How can i do this in exchange 2003 > I have two distribution group, which are student and staff. I want to set &...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

How do I transfer color formats from one work sheet to another
SheetA contain a number of cells formatted in red and a number in blue (most are black). I wish to transfer this color format to SheetB, but offsetting the cells by two columns. Thus if cell A3 is red in SheetA, I want cell C3 to be red in SheetB, and if it is blue I want the color in SheetB to be blue. And I want this for the whole spreadsheet. Any help with a macro? Thanks You could select the region from which you want to transfer and then click on the "Format Painter" button on the standard toolbar. Then on the second sheet, select the column offset 2 from ori...

Creating a mailing list and deleteing a mailbox
Yo. I need to replace a mailbox for our DG with a mailing list so various lackeys can manage his email. Ive found that if I replace his mailbox with a distribution list, anyone who has the DG mailbox as a contact or in a group they created in there mailbox, they can no longer send email internally to him. Internal to ext. from DG mail list is fine. Ext to internal dg mail list is fine. It seems that the removal of the mailbox object is not rippled out to the users settings on there mailboxes so kind of orphans that contact. So, my plan is to leave the dg mailbox intact but add in anot...

migrating from 5.5
We intend to go t Exchange 2003 and are looking for the best scenario. We would like to change our mailsite name. 1. Can we change the mailsite name, then build a new 2003 server in the same site and use the migration wizard? 2. Can we build an exchange 2003 server in the same site and then once in native mode rename the site? 3. Or do we have to build an exchange 2003 serverm in a different domain? ...

forward email from corp. mailbox to hotmail
sorry if this is wrong area, i forget how to do the following: i want my exchange/outlook mail to automatically forward my inbox mail to my hotmail account. i want a copy in outlook and hotmail. i have done this before, but cannot remember. Is is a rule i create or something else within outlook?? thanks ...

How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008
I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine. However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a new operating system'. What's the hard way? In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I can use it to run these apps? SBS 2003 can't be used as a demo...

folder migration
I am working on migrating outlook express folders from a old computer to Outlook 2003 on a new computer. I used the file/Import,Export feature but not all of the folders contain information. There are a total of six folders that need to be Imported. Outlook created the folders under personal folder but only two contain the messages. The other four are empty. I have tried to move them individually with no success. If anyone has a theory on how to accomplish this please let me know. Thank you. Chad ...

Automate Mailbox Creation
Hi, Can anyone help with my Scenerio. I run Windows 2003 and exchange 2003. A green field installation of both with 1000 users. I have 2 storage groups and each storage group has 4 mailbox stores. My goal is to create and place mailboxes in each of these stores based on job roles already defined in AD. Is this possible to run using a script or do i have to manually create each mailbox and then move as required? Thanks You can script it. Search for: create Exchange mailbox script - you'll find many that you can modify to look up user's AD attribute and create mailbox in approp...

Mailbox Statistics
IMI Mailbox Statistics for MS Exchange Server is small utility for Exchange Admin to get, print and export Mailbox resources statistics, intended to cover the lack of print capabilities in the current version of the Exchange Admin. Key Benefits a.. Obtain information about all the mailboxes on a MS Exchange Server b.. The report columns give to you information such as the mailbox name, the Windows NT user account name of the last user to log on to the Mailbox, the sizes of each of the messages in the mailbox, the total number of messages in the mailbox, the date and time when the user ...

View Additional Mailboxes Off-line
A user's Outlook profile has been configured to "Open these additional mailboxes." She is able to access the additional mailboxes while online. She does a "send / receive" to synchronize her mail and then goes off-line. When off-line, she can view only her primary mailbox. She cannot access the additional mailboxes. Her OST only includes her primary mailbox. She is using Outlook 2003, Exchange Server 2003. Outlook is using "cached" mode to connect to the Exchange server. Is this working as designed? Is there a way to view additional mailboxes off-line (wi...

background picture in one page only
Hello once again, One of my colleague have ask me is it possible to put the "background in one page only" displaying his whole body picture, coz when he issued the command : Format/Sheet/Bacground/Insert, the entire sheet is covered with his multiple pictures. Thanks in advance. aboiy ...

Sending graphic data to another computer
Hi all, I want to send graphic data (that contains my desktop) to another computer.Just like what remote desktop does. If it is possible I want to send a CDC to another computer. If it is not (possible) what is a FAST way to send this graphic data ???? please help me on this... Thanks. You capture the screen then turn the Bitmap into a Jpg and send it to the other computer using a Socket. this code captures the screen and writes it to a jpg, writing to a file will take long, you should look into something that changes the bitmap into a jpg in memory, perhapse even lets you play with th...

How to show due tasks, emails, contacts in one list?
I have Outlook XP, would consider moving to 2003 if I have to. (I've been an Outlook user since Office 98). Is there a way to create a single, consolidated list of all the things I have to do today? It would have to include a list of appointments, tasks with today for the due date, flagged emails, and flagged contacts. Seems a fairly straight-forward task, which I would suppose many people might need, but I can't figure out how to make it happen. I've even cruised around slipstick.com, but haven't found a solution yet. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks jg70124 <j...

Data Migration Question 02-19-04
OK, Perhaps I was too general and hopeful in my prior post about migrating from one domain to another (http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/previewFrame.a sp? ICP=MSCOM&sLCID=US&sgroupURL=microsoft.public.crm&sMessageI D=%253C123e501c3f59d%2524223a9100%2524a501280a@phx.gbl% 253E) I am having issues in migrating data from my test CRM system to a simulated production environment (My project manager needs to know how long it is going to take next month when we go live.) Realistically all I really want to migrate is: PriceLevelBase ProductBase ProductPriceLevelBase Subj...