Migrating exchange 5.5 onto a new server

Hi Guys,

We are trying to migrate an exchange 5.5 server onto a new server.

We tried doing a complete backup of exhange 5.5, decommisioning the old
server, joining the new serverto the domain as DC, and restoring the
information store etc from the backup tapes. However it gets to about 3Gb
(out of 11Gb) and says it needs to reboot. Once rebooting, the exchange
doesn;t start, it gets totally locked up. Can't stop or start any services.

What the easiest wasy to move an exchange 5.5 installayion onto a new
server? Setup the new server, with a different name, and migrate the
mailboxes onto the new server, then reconfigure the router to deliver mail
to the new server/IP address?

Help!

Thanks,

Gary.

0
gary6653 (1)

"Gary Youell" <gary@emmanuels.co.za> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>We are trying to migrate an exchange 5.5 server onto a new server.
>
>We tried doing a complete backup of exhange 5.5, decommisioning the old
>server, joining the new serverto the domain as DC, and restoring the
>information store etc from the backup tapes. However it gets to about 3Gb
>(out of 11Gb) and says it needs to reboot. Once rebooting, the exchange
>doesn;t start, it gets totally locked up. Can't stop or start any services.
>
>What the easiest wasy to move an exchange 5.5 installayion onto a new
>server? Setup the new server, with a different name, and migrate the
>mailboxes onto the new server, then reconfigure the router to deliver mail
>to the new server/IP address?
>
>Help!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Gary.

I would troubleshoot it's desire to reboot. It shouldn't be doing
that.
The document
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=822945&product=exch2003
details the new hardware same name scenario but it won't help you
troublsehoot a mid restore reboot.

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
mark7219 (5667)
6/21/2004 12:42:48 PM
Gary Youell wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We are trying to migrate an exchange 5.5 server onto a new server.
>
> We tried doing a complete backup of exhange 5.5, decommisioning the
> old server, joining the new serverto the domain as DC, and restoring
> the information store etc from the backup tapes. However it gets to
> about 3Gb (out of 11Gb) and says it needs to reboot. Once rebooting,
> the exchange doesn;t start, it gets totally locked up. Can't stop or
> start any services.
>
> What the easiest wasy to move an exchange 5.5 installayion onto a new
> server? Setup the new server, with a different name, and migrate the
> mailboxes onto the new server, then reconfigure the router to deliver
> mail to the new server/IP address?

exmerge will dump the entire Private information store into .PST files.
Seems clunky but at least you know where you're up to.
You can then use it to re-import them to a fresh server (not sure if it
creates the new mailboxes itself or if your have to create them in advance)

Public information store is a different story. I tend to use Outlook to dump
this into a .PST manually.

good luck!

0
Carl

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Exchange 2003 Send as Permissions
Hi, I am running a 2003 Exchange server. I set the 'send as' permission via the 'Permissions' (edit ACL) tab for User1 to send on behalf of User2. This then works for around 24 hours, at which point the permissions are removed. I assume that some type of maintenance routine is removing the relevant permissions, not sure why or how however! I know you can set the 'send on behalf of' setting but this displays the mail in a way that the recipient can tell who has really sent the mail - my customer does not want this! Any suggestions (sensible ones anyway) would be great...

VB6 new install
New PC, XPSP3 with all current updates Visual Studio 6 install quits after clicking Next on splash screen Tried running setup as Administrator - get message saying Windows has been locked down Any help would be appreciated Michael "Michael" <who@where.com> wrote in message news:%233DKYm8LLHA.5624@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > New PC, XPSP3 with all current updates > Visual Studio 6 install quits after clicking Next on splash screen > Tried running setup as Administrator - get message saying Windows has been > locked down > Any help would be apprecia...

Exchange, Win, AD 2000 to 2003 upgrade
I'm planning out the upgrade of a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 all on separate W2k boxes (FE & BE config) to a fully AD/Win/Exch 2003 environment. I'm planning on the following steps: 1) Upgrade Exch 2000 FE to Exch 2003 FE 2) Upgrade Exch 2000 BE to Exch 2003 BE 3) Upgrade FE to Win 2003 4) Upgrade BE to Win 2003 5) Upgrade 2000 AD to 2003 I'm trying to figure out any advantages to doing the AD upgrade before or after the Exchange upgrades. I've seen it recommended to do it first, but it seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. Can't find any tech doc th...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Exchange 2003 Startup Problems
Hello Got into the office this morning to find our exchange server not working. Getting these errors in the log file, the mailbox store won't startup. event id 455 - ESE Information Store (4888) First Storage Group: Error -1811 occurred while opening logfile D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\EXCHANGE.log\E0001E02.log. Also getting event id 9518 that the information store won't start up. Anyone have any ideas how to rectify this? The log file it's talking about doesn't exist on the machine, the last log file i have is E0001E00.log from 1.43am this morning. Thanks for you...

Look out- server dumping Outlook 2003 emails
My server is dumping Outlook 2003 e-mails before they are finally sent to people on the same e-mail network. Everyone else outside this server can recieve Outlook 2003 e-mails fine, but none on the server can? What's this server doing to me? Have anything to do with Outlook going to unicode? What mailserver are you using? Do you only have an Exchange account configured? Also contact your mail administrator to doublecheck your mailbox settings. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slip...

sender filtering on exchange 2003 server
i setup an exchange 2003 server to retreive it's e-mail from a provider's POP3 server for the time being due to the fact that the MX records haven't been changed yet. Now i enabled senderfiltering on my exchange server and it doesn't seem to work Question: Does this have anything to do with the pop3 mailbox of my provider or is there something else going on alltogether?? -- "Computers are useless, they can only give answers...." .. (Pablo Picasso) Obviously no one knows or nobody wants to help "Rik" wrote: > i setup an exchange 2003 server to re...

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange Server 2003
I have a multihomed environment and am trying to connect my user to my exchange 2003 server. The Primary NIC is used for Internet access and the Secondary is used the connect to my Exchange server. When I setup Outlook 2003 in the Exchange Server field it always wants to resolve the server name to the FQDN. Then it searches for the public IP Address on the Primary NIC. If I ping the server name it knows which NIC to use and doesn't have a problem. How can i set it up to only look for the server name? try entering the IP address of the server instead of the name for resoluti...

Exchange 2003 computer account
I am running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 network (AD). One of my admins was trying to test the exchange restore, but he screwed up. He setup a test network, isolated from production network. He tried to do restore from tape, etc, etc. I still don't know exactly what he did, but our production exchange is not part of network anymore.. I notice the Exchange server name was missing from Exchange Domain Servers groups in AD. So I added back in. The computer name is still in AD. However we cannot login into Exchange server into domain. When I try to do that, I get a message that says: Window...

pre-select new record in combo box
Hi, I have a form (frmActivity) with a combo box (cboStore) that gets its data from a table (Store). If there is a new store which dose not show in the combo box I have a command button on the same form that open a popup window for entering the name of the new store. In the 'on close' event of the popup I requeary the combo box (cboStore) on the main form so that the new store will appear. What I would really like is to have the new store already selected in the combo box when the popup is closed. Is this possible and if so how? Thanks, Phil Try after the requery of the ...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

Exchange 2003 Statistics
How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to extract this information. Looking for the number of emails sent internally vs. externally. Message Tracking logs, PerfMon, 3rd party products (you can start your research at www.quest.com). Shawn wrote: > How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per > day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to > extract this information. Looking for the number of emails s...

Server 2003
I am getting an error message while running the database on Server 2003. The error is at the terminals of something to the effect of Cannot Recognize the Database. Some here think it has to do with permissions for the server. Right now we are running the database on computer attached to the network through the server, but that isn't really what we want. Any help? We use Win2003 without any problems. In fact I upgraded one last night to SQL Express. I suppose that the log in and password for the database could be wrong. We use SQL authentication, not windows authentication. C...

Import => New web query
Hello In excel 2003, I'm using the import new web query, to show search engine results for my various domains. It works well for google and as an example, the data imported shows as follows: Results 1 - 10 of about 35,900,000 from ibm.com for +. (0.15 seconds) However, it does not work for Yahoo and MSN. The reason for this is because there are only two tables on the entire page so the information I want is contained in the large table. So when I import data from MSN, I get a ton of garbage(see below for example) in addition to what I really need. Since I can't just ...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

New CRM Install Error: Access is denied to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTData
We are trying to install a new instance of CRM with CRM being installed on a VMWare and SQL server being on a remote normal OS environment and this is the error we received. Any ideas? 13:09:52| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Access is denied to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTData', or the path is invalid. Full-text search was not installed properly. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.DatabaseInstaller....

Cannot remove Exchange 5.5 Server from Site!
Hi everyone - I have an Exchange 5.5 system with 4 NT4.0 SP6a Servers all running 5.5 SP4. I have to remove the first server in the site and have completed the migration of the first server in site roles to one of the new Exchange servers. BUT - now when I shut down the server I am trying to de-commission (as a test to see what happens with it turned off), some of my Outlook 97 users and Outlook 2001 Mac Edition users freeze up. It appears that with the OL97 PC Clients, deleting the profile and re-creating it works OK. HOWEVER, re-building the OL 2001 profiles on the Apple Macs has no effect...

user files in exchange
How can I program exchange to delete "delete" folder contents after 5 days? How about the "sent" contents after 30 days? thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES rrego@njpies.org Hi Raul You dont mention what version of Exchange you have, but you can use the Mailbox Manager feature, here are some links that should help you out: Exchange 5.5 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305109 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/maintain/mailmg.mspx Exchange 2000 SP1 & Exchange 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278024 ...

New Installation Problems
I have just reinstalled the OS (XP) Home and reloaded Outlook2003. I had my pst file backed up. But in the folder view there are two identical listing of "personal files". The second problem is that although my contacts are intact email does not link to them. Can these problem be fixed? Regards Did you import the .pst file? Don't - not ever - not even on a bet. Create a new mail profile and point it to your saved .pst file to re-use. Importing/exporting is never required to migrate your .pst file from one Outlook installation to another. --� Milly Staples [MVP - ...

New 2006 trial won't work with 2005 file
Hi - I've just downloaded the new trial 2006 - by mistake actually - because i was having problems with the 2005 trial that was available just last week so I thgt I would re-d/load. Now Money is saying that it cannot convert my Money 2005 file into 2006 format because it was created in a different version. I don't have a problem paying for the software, but there's not point in my buying MS Money 06 if my 05 file won't work and has 12 months worth of data in it. Does anyone know why it won't convert my 2005 file? I don't want to loose all that information, and I would r...

How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008
I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine. However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a new operating system'. What's the hard way? In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I can use it to run these apps? SBS 2003 can't be used as a demo...

ISA Server 2006: Exchange publishing
Hi, I am lost, please help! I can't get OWA and OMA/exchange-activesync to work at the same time using a single listener/ip address. I thought a big benefit of ISA 2k6 was that one can publish everything using one single external ip address? I want to use FBA for OWA. In the listener I configure ISA to use FBA (on isa level) but when I do that OMA doesn't work anymore. When I set the listener to basic authentication however OMA (and exchange active sync) works fine but than I don't have the ISA FBA anymore, which is obvious. How can I make both work at the same time? I now...