Migrating Exchange 5.5 multi-sites question

Hi

We have a Windows 2000 AD Domain with an Exchange 5.5 organisation with 4
remotes sites located in remote locations. I installed Exchange 2003 on a
Windows 2003 member server in SiteA. This server has the ADC installed with
4 CAs. I have moved the users from SiteA into Exchange 2003 with no
problems.

I plan to install Exchange 2003 on new Windows 2000 servers in the remote
sites and move users using the wizard. The question is do I need ADC
installed on these remote sites servers with CAs so that I can move users.
Will these CAs be two-way.??

Is there anything else I would need to do.??

Thanks

0
rajia1 (40)

Here is a 135 page guide explaining CA's.  It has a few examples that may
apply to your case.  I have a similar situation but more sites and domains
than you.  I'm having trouble finding a good case example of the best way to
approach this issue.  Good luck.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C763B584-C511-4687-B27F-A13A8F82D4C8&displaylang=en

"Raji Arulambalam" <rajia@ebopremove-megovt.nz> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We have a Windows 2000 AD Domain with an Exchange 5.5 organisation with 4
> remotes sites located in remote locations. I installed Exchange 2003 on a
> Windows 2003 member server in SiteA. This server has the ADC installed
with
> 4 CAs. I have moved the users from SiteA into Exchange 2003 with no
> problems.
>
> I plan to install Exchange 2003 on new Windows 2000 servers in the remote
> sites and move users using the wizard. The question is do I need ADC
> installed on these remote sites servers with CAs so that I can move users.
> Will these CAs be two-way.??
>
> Is there anything else I would need to do.??
>
> Thanks

0
Jim.Geith (11)

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Exchange 2003 Send as Permissions
Hi, I am running a 2003 Exchange server. I set the 'send as' permission via the 'Permissions' (edit ACL) tab for User1 to send on behalf of User2. This then works for around 24 hours, at which point the permissions are removed. I assume that some type of maintenance routine is removing the relevant permissions, not sure why or how however! I know you can set the 'send on behalf of' setting but this displays the mail in a way that the recipient can tell who has really sent the mail - my customer does not want this! Any suggestions (sensible ones anyway) would be great...

Save as PDF with multi-level lists
I am using the Save as PDF option from within Word 2007. I use the create bookmarks using headings option and the bookmarks look great in PDF. The only problem is that I also use multi-level lists on my headings that do automatic text and numbering. That text and numbering is missing on the generated bookmark. For example, I have Chapter 1 generated as part of the multi-level list and then the text itself is Introduction. When the PDF bookmarks are generated, all I see is Introduction and not Chapter 1 Introduction. Will I be forced to purchase Adobe Acrobat to pull off this feat? Th...

Exchange, Win, AD 2000 to 2003 upgrade
I'm planning out the upgrade of a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 all on separate W2k boxes (FE & BE config) to a fully AD/Win/Exch 2003 environment. I'm planning on the following steps: 1) Upgrade Exch 2000 FE to Exch 2003 FE 2) Upgrade Exch 2000 BE to Exch 2003 BE 3) Upgrade FE to Win 2003 4) Upgrade BE to Win 2003 5) Upgrade 2000 AD to 2003 I'm trying to figure out any advantages to doing the AD upgrade before or after the Exchange upgrades. I've seen it recommended to do it first, but it seems like six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. Can't find any tech doc th...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Exchange 2003 Startup Problems
Hello Got into the office this morning to find our exchange server not working. Getting these errors in the log file, the mailbox store won't startup. event id 455 - ESE Information Store (4888) First Storage Group: Error -1811 occurred while opening logfile D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\EXCHANGE.log\E0001E02.log. Also getting event id 9518 that the information store won't start up. Anyone have any ideas how to rectify this? The log file it's talking about doesn't exist on the machine, the last log file i have is E0001E00.log from 1.43am this morning. Thanks for you...

sender filtering on exchange 2003 server
i setup an exchange 2003 server to retreive it's e-mail from a provider's POP3 server for the time being due to the fact that the MX records haven't been changed yet. Now i enabled senderfiltering on my exchange server and it doesn't seem to work Question: Does this have anything to do with the pop3 mailbox of my provider or is there something else going on alltogether?? -- "Computers are useless, they can only give answers...." .. (Pablo Picasso) Obviously no one knows or nobody wants to help "Rik" wrote: > i setup an exchange 2003 server to re...

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange Server 2003
I have a multihomed environment and am trying to connect my user to my exchange 2003 server. The Primary NIC is used for Internet access and the Secondary is used the connect to my Exchange server. When I setup Outlook 2003 in the Exchange Server field it always wants to resolve the server name to the FQDN. Then it searches for the public IP Address on the Primary NIC. If I ping the server name it knows which NIC to use and doesn't have a problem. How can i set it up to only look for the server name? try entering the IP address of the server instead of the name for resoluti...

Exchange 2003 computer account
I am running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 network (AD). One of my admins was trying to test the exchange restore, but he screwed up. He setup a test network, isolated from production network. He tried to do restore from tape, etc, etc. I still don't know exactly what he did, but our production exchange is not part of network anymore.. I notice the Exchange server name was missing from Exchange Domain Servers groups in AD. So I added back in. The computer name is still in AD. However we cannot login into Exchange server into domain. When I try to do that, I get a message that says: Window...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

Exchange 2003 Statistics
How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to extract this information. Looking for the number of emails sent internally vs. externally. Message Tracking logs, PerfMon, 3rd party products (you can start your research at www.quest.com). Shawn wrote: > How do you find out the number of emails your Exchange server processes per > day? Senior administration loves these statistics but I don't know where to > extract this information. Looking for the number of emails s...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...

Cannot remove Exchange 5.5 Server from Site!
Hi everyone - I have an Exchange 5.5 system with 4 NT4.0 SP6a Servers all running 5.5 SP4. I have to remove the first server in the site and have completed the migration of the first server in site roles to one of the new Exchange servers. BUT - now when I shut down the server I am trying to de-commission (as a test to see what happens with it turned off), some of my Outlook 97 users and Outlook 2001 Mac Edition users freeze up. It appears that with the OL97 PC Clients, deleting the profile and re-creating it works OK. HOWEVER, re-building the OL 2001 profiles on the Apple Macs has no effect...

user files in exchange
How can I program exchange to delete "delete" folder contents after 5 days? How about the "sent" contents after 30 days? thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES rrego@njpies.org Hi Raul You dont mention what version of Exchange you have, but you can use the Mailbox Manager feature, here are some links that should help you out: Exchange 5.5 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305109 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/maintain/mailmg.mspx Exchange 2000 SP1 & Exchange 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278024 ...

How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008
I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine. However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a new operating system'. What's the hard way? In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I can use it to run these apps? SBS 2003 can't be used as a demo...

ISA Server 2006: Exchange publishing
Hi, I am lost, please help! I can't get OWA and OMA/exchange-activesync to work at the same time using a single listener/ip address. I thought a big benefit of ISA 2k6 was that one can publish everything using one single external ip address? I want to use FBA for OWA. In the listener I configure ISA to use FBA (on isa level) but when I do that OMA doesn't work anymore. When I set the listener to basic authentication however OMA (and exchange active sync) works fine but than I don't have the ISA FBA anymore, which is obvious. How can I make both work at the same time? I now...

The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0).
I'm currently running an exchange 2003 sp2 on a Windows 2003 SP1 Domain Controller with Mcafee virus scan 8.00 Its been running fine for about a year. Recently the information store terminates intermittently with the following error. I can restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service Event Type: Error Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7024 Date: 19/09/2006 Time: 21:54:43 User: N/A Computer: ICCUK-MAIL2 Description: The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with service-specific error 0 (0x0). I've installed Exchang...

Exchange System Manager cannot manage Exchange servers in different domain
I have three Exchange servers in one organization (two Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition and one Exchange 2000 standard edition). Each server resides on it's own domain but the three domains are part of one AD forest. I am not able to check the status of the objects in the information store on the other servers when I am using the Exchange System Manager from one server. I can only see the status and properties of the Exchange server that I am currently using ESM on. Whenever I try to access the mailbox store or the public folder store of a different Exchange server, I get thi...

Exchange 2003, services keep stopping every few minutes
All of a sudden, exchange services keep stopping and I have to manually restart. It runs again for a while and stops again. Any suggestion ? there must be something in the application or system event log...? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Mehbs" <msamani@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OuBUwvDYHHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > All of a sudden, exchange services keep stopping and I have to manually > restart. It runs again for a while and stops again. > > Any suggestion ? > ...

migrating from 5.5
We intend to go t Exchange 2003 and are looking for the best scenario. We would like to change our mailsite name. 1. Can we change the mailsite name, then build a new 2003 server in the same site and use the migration wizard? 2. Can we build an exchange 2003 server in the same site and then once in native mode rename the site? 3. Or do we have to build an exchange 2003 serverm in a different domain? ...

GP 7.5 Grant Management
Looking for a custom report (either crystal, report writer, etc. doesn't matter) for GP 7.5 Grant Management (formerly Encore). For a grant, client wants to see by account actual versus budget inception-to-date. Looking for someone that has already developed such a report or tried to develop. Thanks, John ...

folder migration
I am working on migrating outlook express folders from a old computer to Outlook 2003 on a new computer. I used the file/Import,Export feature but not all of the folders contain information. There are a total of six folders that need to be Imported. Outlook created the folders under personal folder but only two contain the messages. The other four are empty. I have tried to move them individually with no success. If anyone has a theory on how to accomplish this please let me know. Thank you. Chad ...

Exchange Server 2003 Memory
Hello everyone. We currently use an HP ProLiant DL380 G3 server to run Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (v6.5 Build 7638.2, SP2). It has four gigabytes of RAM and is running Windows Server 2003 Standard (Build 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm) with SP1 and all hotfixes and updates. We host 535 total mailboxes and 42 total public folders on this server. Mailbox store limits are set to issue warning at 245,760 K and prohibit send at 256,000 K. We also keep 60 days of deleted items and 60 days of deleted mailboxes, and we do not permanently delete mailboxes and items until the store has been bac...