Mega Newbie - Check Private Folder Usage/Size

MS Exchange V5.5 with Outlook 2000 clients.

The size of our exchange databases seem to be growing at a serious rate.
I believe that the files priv.edb and pub.edb are the user folders and
public folders respectively - can someone confirm this please?

Our file sizes are 1Gb for priv and 3Gb for pub.  This means at least some
users have a serious allocation for their user folders - total number of
users approx 30!

Is it possible to examine the system via exchange to find out which user's
folders are taking up all the space?

TIA

Phil

0
pscull (24)

Hi There,

Correct.

>Our file sizes are 1Gb for priv and 3Gb for pub.  This
means at least some
>users have a serious allocation for their user folders -
total number of
>users approx 30!
>
>Is it possible to examine the system via exchange to find
out which user's
>folders are taking up all the space?

Yes. Launch Exchange Administrator, connect to your local
server, then in the left hand side panel, drill down to
the following; <'Your Site'> --> <Configuration> -->
<Servers> --> <'Your Server'> --> <Private Information
Store> --> <Mailbox Resources>.

The columns can be sorted by clicking the headers, so it
should be easy to find out who the main culprits are!

>TIA
>
>Phil

No problemo,
Simon

0
anonymous (74723)
11/19/2003 3:25:35 PM
1GB Private vate Information Store is tiny.  If you have
30 users then their mailboxes average 33.3MB each, which
isn't much.  The maximum size for Exchange (Non-Enterprise
Edition) is 16GB.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

0
anonymous (74723)
11/19/2003 4:13:36 PM
Thanks Patrick/Simon

Just what I was looking for.
Don't find the help at all user friendly in Exchange!

The 16Gb limit - is that total or per user?

Phil

0
pscull (24)
11/19/2003 4:46:52 PM
Assuming Exchange standard version, each db (Priv.edb and Pub.edb) has a
16GB limit.

"TheScullster" <pscull@cutthespameuropacrown.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Patrick/Simon
>
> Just what I was looking for.
> Don't find the help at all user friendly in Exchange!
>
> The 16Gb limit - is that total or per user?
>
> Phil

0
Ron

Exchange 2003 /Exchweb/Cabs folder
I'm having trouble with OWA in Exchange 2003 Standard (running on Windows 2003 Standard). When trying to access OWA internally, I get placeholders instead of images and the word "Loading...". This seems to be pretty well addressed in KB280823. The problem I'm seeing is that when I remove the virtual folder for Exchweb and recreate it, I do not get a Cabs folder. The rest of the folders are there, but not the Cabs. This folder does not exist in \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Exchweb, either. Where does this folder come from? How can I get it in place? Is it even part o...

outlook folder sychronization
I am having trouble shutting down, outlook starts to sychronize the folders everytime I close. It seems to be looking for a server or something. At comptuer shut down it says outlook.exc is still running, even thou outlook is visably not there but the icon still shows outlook sychronizing. Is there a setting I need to turn off? Help "Steve Outlook" <SteveOutlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F50E01E-C0C0-4CB4-A37C-D891707D9C14@microsoft.com... >I am having trouble shutting down, outlook starts to sychronize the folders > everytime I close. It s...

i can not see any mails inside archieve folders in outlook?
I transferred my mails and folders from outlook express to outlook 2007 successfully. It was 9.6 gb in total. I have archieved individual folders. However, i can see only structure (tree of folders) and there is nothing inside any folders. What could be the proble. Is there any other way to do archieve. I have downloaded back tool and done back up of outlook.pst. But i want to use archieve feature alsp. Sunil Dhanuka wrote: > I transferred my mails and folders from outlook express to outlook 2007 > successfully. It was 9.6 gb in total. I have archieved individual folders...

Sent mail in sub folder
When I reply to a message that is directed to a sub folder of my inbox the sent message is moved into the same sub folder rather than the sent items folder. I'm sure I turned something on by accident. Anyone know where this option is in Outlook 2002? Thanks... Go to Tools | Options | E-mail Options | Advanced E-mail Options. Clear the checkbox next to "In folders other than the Inbox, save replies wth original message". -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the mess...

Audit access to public folders
I wolud want to know if there is some way of knowing that users gain access to public folders, the one who creates, reads, erases or modifies the exposed elements in public folders from the outlook and from the OWA. If this information it stores or can store in some log and if there exists some tool that do reports on this access. Thank you very much. Hi i think u can enable loging at server level on public folder instance. try out Thanks Manoj "Félix Casado García" wrote: > I wolud want to know if there is some way of knowing that users gain access to > pub...

newbie question...
Hi, I would like to get a confirmation about a very basic thing on a exchane 2k. I would like to define limits on the email usage (incoming and outgoing max size and the storage size) on a server basis. But there is some users that requires more space than what will be allowed. does the configuration sets "by user" will "overwrite" the server settings? example: the servers limits incoming mail size 5MB outgoing mail size 5MB total storage size 50MB but user1 needs 100MB and 10MBincoming outgoing. (sorry for asking this right away, i know that RTFM would have give...

Outlook 97 Folder View not being retained in XP
I have clients with roaming profiles on WINNT 4 domain with some using MS XP and outlook 97 as the email client. When the XP client's log out of Outlook their folder view is not retained. Have tried rebuilding profiles, recreating the .fav file, redoing the profuser and getting the client's to log onto a WINNT box then back onto XP with no success. ...

Task Folders mysteriously created
Running Outlook XP on Windows 20000. When I click on another persons Mailbox to look at their calendar, 2 task folders are automatically created in their mailbox (I am designated delegate for his mailbox). I can't stop the folders from being created. I look at this person's calendar probably 50 times a day, so it is rather irritating!! in Outlook 2002. Not Outlook XP. >-----Original Message----- >Running Outlook XP on Windows 20000. When I click on >another persons Mailbox to look at their calendar, 2 task >folders are automatically created in their mailbox (I...

Pulic folder ERRORS !!!!!
I am running Exchange Server 2003 on Server 2003. I have never had any problems with my public folders until recently. When I mail enable a public folder (pre-existing or newly created) I receive the following error: Exchange System Manager The mail proxy for this folder can not be found. This may be due to replication delays. The mail enabled pages will not be shown. ID no: c1038a21 Exchange System Manager I have tried the obvious reboot and have searched the web to no avail. I am under pressure form my client to resolve the problem and appreciate any help I can get. ...

Connect to Custom Folder
HI, can somebody help me I'm trying to connect to another users custom folder. I've used the 'GetSharedDefaultFolder' method to connect to default Ol folders and sub folders but can't find a way to connect to a custom folder that is not a sub folder of a default Ol folder, Is there a way to do this? You would either have to load that mailbox as part of the profile and access it using iterations of the Folders collections until you found it or login to that mailbox using CDO code and access it that way. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: A...

Sizing Buttons
I have several command button on several worksheets in a workbook. I would like to size them so that they are all the same size and in the same spot of each sheet. Is there a way to do this? I tried to work with the formatting section of each button but just can not seem to get them all to look the same. Are all the names of each of the buttons that should be resized and repositioned named the same on each page? Commandbutton1 on sheet1, sheet2, sheet3, ...? Commandbutton2 on sheet1, sheet2, sheet3, ...? Commandbutton3 on sheet1, sheet2, sheet3, ...? ??? If yes... Option Explicit Sub...

Renaming Folders
Hi Guys! My Name is Dave Forster and I am the technical director for a new software company. Our company has created a piece of software that integrates with Microsoft Outlook. Upon installation, it renames some of the folders. We have come accross a hurdle in that we cannot rename folders in a Microsoft Exchange environment. Is there a way for Exchange Administrators to allow (for a short period of time) for the client to be able to change the folders name in their profile during our installation routine? Regards, Dave Forster Which folders are we talking about? ST wrote: &...

"The reminder for [Subject] will not appear because the item is not in your Calendar or Task folder. Is this OK?"
We use Office 2003 and a Small Business Exchange Server, so we can share one calendar. After we converted to the server-based Office from stand-alone, we no longer can include reminders in our calendar appointments. When we try to add a reminder we get an error box that says: "The reminder for [Subject] will not appear because the item is not in your Calendar or Task folder. Is this OK?" ===== On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:46:02 -0400, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote: [T]he error is because its not being posted to the default mailbox folders. So you...

Newbie question
Hello, Is there a data that uniquely identifies a CPU among all PCs? Can someone please tell me what is it and how to get it using MFC or Win32 APIs. A sample code or any other reference will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, "Johnny" <safsaf3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06e401c36976$350a7100$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is there a data that uniquely identifies a CPU among all > PCs? Can someone please tell me what is it and how to get > it using MFC or Win32 APIs. > > A sample code or any other reference will be greatly > appreciated. I...

I delete an email it remains in folder with line through it
How do I move deleted email from in box to deleted subfile without keeping a copy in the inbox with strikethru in it?? I have to email accounts on the computer one is pop3 the other is ms exchange? Not good with computers Are you sure its pop3 and exchange? it sounds like you set up an IMAP account - deleted items are marked with a strikethrough until you purge the folder from the edit menu. You can also use a view that hides items marked for deletion. We can be more specific if we knew the version of Outlook you use. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? htt...

Monitor Folders recursively
I can monitor specific Outlook folders via the AddItem event. Private WithEvents objProjectItems As Items Private Sub Application_Startup() Dim objNS As NameSpace Set objNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI") Set objProjectItems = objNS.GetDefaultFolder (olFolderInbox).Folders.Item("Projects").Items Set objNS = Nothing End Sub Private Sub Application_Quit() Set objProjectItems = Nothing End Sub Private Sub objProjectItems_ItemAdd(ByVal Item As Object) MsgBox "You added an item to the Projects Folder", vbOKOnly End Sub Now I need to do t...

Exchange Server 2007 Mailbox Store size
Howdy, All! I just wanted to ask: Exchange Server 2007 Standard Version and the 16GB size limit. Is this going to be changed (similar to Exchange Server2003 SP2)? I have a client who has about 125 users but only 7.5GB...I have suggested the Standard Version as I do not see their usage changing but I also do not want to paint myself in a corner! Thanks, -- Cary W. Shultz Roanoke, VA 24012 Okay, I just found this article: http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/11/exchange-server-2007-business-launch_09.html I guess that I should have looked before I asked. I want to say that I...

Folders box
How can I change the order of the folders list? Don't think you can. They're arranged alphabetically permanently. "wentcap" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACD92158-0B9D-4BE9-A23A-BBAAFE521819@microsoft.com... > How can I change the order of the folders list? ...

public folder issue 2007
Succesfully upgraded to 2007 server, except im having a few issues with some public folders we have a folder with subfolders on the public folder list eg TOPLEVEL -------SUB1 -------SUB2 -------SUB3 -------SUB4 -------SUB5 however since conversion, i'm unable to access some of the subfolders (but only some!) - i get a error message saying "cannot display the folder. this folder cannot be opened because there is a configuration problem on the server. contact your microsoft exchange admin for assistance", I cant even admin the permissions from outlook either ? any ideas ? ...

Newbie
The vbs code below does as I would expect, but I think there must be a better way of doing the for each loops. Can any one help / advise ! Thanks ' Instantiate the connection and log in to OpenLDAP Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") oConn.Provider = "ADsDSOObject" oConn.Open "ADs Provider", "USERNAME", "PASSWORD" ' Build the LDAP search condition... vSearch = "(cn=*)" ' Execute the search... Set oRS = oConn.Execute("<LDAP://10.10.10.1:389/cn=Devices>;" & vSearch & "...

Some has Moved the Inbox Folder
I have a user that somehow moved the Inbox folder to the Deleted Items folder. I have tried moving the folder back but eact time I try I get the notification that default folders cannot be moved or deleted. I tried using the command line switches to rebuild the folders but still no luck. Anyone know how to move the Inbox from one folder to another? I think its possible to move Outlook System Folders in OWA (in EX2K) and that may be exactly what your users did. Try move the inbox back using OWA and if that doesnt work, start outlook from run with the switch /ResetFolders Jamelia "RSN1...

Newbie question on junk filter
I've got one of those Freeserve email addresses where any string of text before the @ reaches my inbox so long as it contains my unique Freeserve string after the @ . Within minutes of signing up to Freeserve I started receiving junk messages, all with the same, seemingly random, name before the @ followed by my unique address after the @ . Outlook often labels these incomong messages as 'spam' but still they make it into my inbox. My question is, surely the fact that all these junkmail outfits use the identical name before the @ can be exploited for filtering??? Sadly I ...

Erroneous Error Cannot create an array with a negative size
Using : Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 Installed Edition: Professional Microsoft Visual C# 2008 The IDE displays the error Cannot create an array with a negative size whenever the source is modified but the project does build and the error goes away, until modified again: using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.ComponentModel; using System.Data; using System.Drawing; using System.Linq; using System.Text; using System.Windows.Forms; namespace ArrayBug { public partial class Form1...

frustrated excel newbie
I am trying to make a monthly worksheet. I did get a drop down box set up, typed 6/1/2010 through 6/31/2010 in an empty column, used the validation tab, chose list and highlited the dates column which showed up as a formula in the validation window under my "list: choice. problem is, when I click on one of the dates I get a serial number, I am guessing that is what it is and no date??? Been at it for 3 hours trying different ways.what am I doing wrong here??? TJ hi format the cell with the validation to date. if formated as general, you will get the serial date number. ...

Cannot create a public folder
When I try to create public folders in outlook (2007) I can't. So I went to the server (Exchange server 2003 running on a Windows Server 2003 DC with SP1). In ESM, I migrate to Admin Groups, First Admin Group, Folders, Public Folders. (there are no default subfolders in there.) If I click on Public Folders I get the following error: Invalid Argument Facility: Win32 ID no: 80070057 Exchange System Manager If I click OK I can get the dialog for Public Folders. In the right hand pane I right click to Add a public folder. I fill in the dialog to create the folder then click OK. When I do t...