MDBdata folder problem

I came in this morning and the Exchange 2000 server would not start.  I
noticed that the MDBdata folder contained 50gig of data, so I deleted all
the .log files that started with E and restarted the Exchange server.
Everything seems to be working fine.  I then read in this newsgroup that it
is a bad idea to delete those files manually.

I have two questions:

1.  Will I run into problems now that I have deleted those files manually?

2.  a 5 meg log file is created every 2 minutes.  Is there a way I can
reduce the frequency of these log files?

thanks for your advice.
hk

0
kachal (10)

"Hasan Kachal" <kachal@nospam.com> wrote in

> I came in this morning and the Exchange 2000 server would not start.
> I noticed that the MDBdata folder contained 50gig of data, so I
> deleted all the .log files that started with E and restarted the
> Exchange server. Everything seems to be working fine.  I then read in
> this newsgroup that it is a bad idea to delete those files manually.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1.  Will I run into problems now that I have deleted those files
> manually?
>
> 2.  a 5 meg log file is created every 2 minutes.  Is there a way I can
> reduce the frequency of these log files?
>
> thanks for your advice.
> hk

Since your store started up there seems to be no issues with the
deletion of the log files.  (e.g. store had stopped cleanly).

Log files can be controlled in two ways:
1. Take a backup of your server.  When you take a backup of the server
it checkpoints the logfiles and deletes the ones it doesn't need
anymore.
2. Turn on circular logging.  This overwrites the log files (i believe
it keeps 2 of them on hand at any one time).

Just a little more info on what logfiles are and why it's a bad idea to
delete them:
Log files contain a record of all the transactions made on the exchange
server.  transactions include mail sent/recieved, objects created, etc.

In fact, if you had all your logfiles and no backup, you could recreate
everything on the store by replaying them on the server.

These log files are created so that in the event of an unexpected shut
down of the store (also known as an unclean shutdown) the items stored
in memory are not lost.

This is important because if a store shuts down in this manner, when it
starts up again it will try to replay the logfiles to make sure it
didn't lose anything.  IF the logfiles are gone, then the store won't be
able to start.

--
Thanks,
Chasy

rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
0
chasy (32)
8/12/2004 6:47:22 PM
http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/4785/4785.html

Chad

"Hasan Kachal" wrote:

> I came in this morning and the Exchange 2000 server would not start.  I
> noticed that the MDBdata folder contained 50gig of data, so I deleted all
> the .log files that started with E and restarted the Exchange server.
> Everything seems to be working fine.  I then read in this newsgroup that it
> is a bad idea to delete those files manually.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1.  Will I run into problems now that I have deleted those files manually?
>
> 2.  a 5 meg log file is created every 2 minutes.  Is there a way I can
> reduce the frequency of these log files?
>
> thanks for your advice.
> hk

0
ChadP (65)

2 personal folder listings and duplicates
Hi. When I have Outlook open at home, when I have the Mail selected, it shows Favorite Folders and All Mail Folders. Under All Mail folders it shows two seperate Personal Folders and the contents appear the same. When I view my Contacts, it shows things twice: Contacts Contacts in Personal Folders FriendEmail FriendEmail in Personal Folders ToDo ToDo in Personal Folders etc..... How can I get rid of the other Personal Folders entry and the duplicate entries in my contacts? Thanks. Bryce. ...

Restore data from MDBDATA folder
Hi, i have a problem with recovery data. On the server there was Exchange 2003 Standard SP1, but it crashed and we saved only data from MDBDATA folder. New server is W2k3 with Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP1 (we don`t have an installation media of standard edition at this time). Then i flagged new databases as rewritable with restore, unmount and replace an *.edb databases. Then, when i want to mount databases i get error message "An internal processing error has occurred. try restarting Exchnage System Manager or the Microsoft Exchange IS service, or both. ID no: c1041724." The...

Cannot see public Folders #2
I am using Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 and unable to view the Public Folders, can anyone specify what all rights need to be given in order that I can view the Public Folders. Thanks and Regards, Rajitha. ...

Problem with Connection String in MS office Chart 11.0
I am trying to add a chart on a form in MS Access. (.mdb) I am using Access 2003. Adding MS office chart to my form, I need to define the connection string. The data I want to use in the chart is stored in the same access database. What should be the value of the connection string.. If "XX" is the name of the table containing the data I need to use to plot the chart, what I should input as value for connection string property and what I should input as value for commandtext property. Thanks a lot for your help... ...

A problem using PrintForm
Trying to do something kind of fundamental here: Print some stuff that's displayed on a form. Just for testing purposes, I've created a form and from a menu click event, I'm showing it (MyForm.Show vbModal) In the form's Activate event there are these statements: Print "gobledygook" Print "Some stuff" Print "92oijwleijd0892uo9ij" PrintForm When I execute this, a page is printed out (on the "default" printer) but the strings shown above are NOT printed. Just for testing, I added a Label and a command button to the...

Problem with first launching of MS Outlook
I have had a problem with first launching of MS Outlook. I already currently use MS Outlook Express. It suggested that I try and use Safe Mode. This didn't work either. Nick "Nick" <tulse04-news@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:l6SdnXnAYPkyo0_ZnZ2dnUVZ8qudnZ2d@bt.com... >I have had a problem with first launching of MS Outlook. I already >currently use MS Outlook Express. > > It suggested that I try and use Safe Mode. This didn't work either. I have now managed to install it - not using the Business Contact Manager. Nick ...

MDBDATA files
Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\ I have a lot of files beginning with E000001-E0000F07 using 25GB of disk space. Yes I need to free up some disk space. I have read article Q151214 but Im not sure if it is ok to delete because I don't see the other log files that are mentioned. Like (Edb.log),(Edb00000.log), (Dlv.log),(Snd.log),(Dlvxxxx.log) or (Sndxxxx.log). If you have any information that may help please email me. Thanks, Donnie Does your backup not work? How about running an Exchange aware backup which will clear the logs for you? "DBraswell (MDBDATA) @2si.com" <anonymous@dis...

Files and Folders in C:\Windows
I'm trying to conserve space on a small HD on a laptop, and would like to know if I can remove the following files and directories. 1) Numerous files and folders in C:\WINDOWS with various names that have modified dates going back to the installation date of XP. C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB873333 C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$ C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$ 2) There are numerous files and folders in the 'C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\' directory with long alphanumeric names ( examples are shown below) C:...

How do I burn a Personal Folder to a DVD?
I have Outlook 2007. I have many personal folders. Some I want to transfer to a DVD. How do I burn a personal folder to a DVD? Close outlook, find the pst files and burn them using your burner software. To open the location, before closing outlook, go to file, data file management and select a pst then click open folder button to open windows explorer to the pst location. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe...

Virus in MDBDATA
Hi All My Eoo.log is continuously infected with the netsky virus. I have a dedicated Exchange 2000 server runing on W2k server platform with the latest service packs for each installed. I have Symatec antivirus corporated edition and Antivus /filtering for Exchange 2000 (up-to-date virus definitions) install to protect us against virus attacks, so far it has been working very well until the 14 May 2004. Our server is a strictly internal mail server. In order to send and receive mail outside the LAN our outlook 2000 clients are configured to pull mail from a pop3 and smtp server hosted by...

Postcode Problem
I have a problem with a huge mailing list in Excel. The problem is that the postcodes are in the wrong format. They are at present in the format of NH129HS and I would like them to be NH12 9HS. All of my postcodes are 8 characters in length and I just want to insert a space as the 5th character. The postcodes are all in column J of my spreadsheet. Can anyone please help? Thanks Borough. ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ -- View and post Excel related usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum -- Hundreds of ...

Undeleted Public Folder
Hi there We need some help with our Exchange 2000 Server Our secretary deleted the our public adress book folder - we have no backup since 4 month We tried all possible tricks to recover but nothing helps we copied the public - edb, stm after the deletion to have the files for recovery we looked into the pub.edb and searched for the public folder where our adresses was stored and we found it - but no tool or something could display it or recover it If anyone could help us - would be great Andreas -- In news:eJdT2JeBGHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl, Andreas Wruhs <andreas.wruhs...

HELP
HELP!!! I really have no idea about computers and I have a major problem with Outlook Express. My flatmate deleted my computer account accidently and it seemed that i lost everything. Fortunately we were able to recover all my data files - however when I got back onto Outlook Express all my address book contacts and e- mails had disappeared. I was able to recover my contacts by doing a search of *.wab however i have no idea where i can get all my emails and inbox sub folders back. If anyone can help - I will be oh so very grateful. Please help! I have very important e-mails missing...

Outlook 2002 outgoing messages problem
I am having a problem with outgoing messages using Outlook 2002 on XP Pro. I can successfully send and receive a test message using the "Test Account Settings." feature under Tools>Email Accounts. but messages composed and sent in the typical way within Outlook are not sent out from the outbox. When I click on Send/Receive incoming messages are received then, after several minutes, the following error message is generated: Task 'JARMail - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC60) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue...

Unable to delete a public folder.
Hello, I am unable to delete a public folder. Details are as follows: I am the administrator I do have owner rights I have checked directory rights (checked in exchange) I have checked administrator rights (checked in exchange) I have gone into advanced to confirm I am the owner (checked in exchange) I can rename it I can't move it (copies but does not remove itself) I am running win2000, with exchange 2000. Client is outlook2000. thanks in advance. ...

Personal folders??
HI I use hotmail for my email account and have installed outlook xp. I am tryin to add my hotmail account to outlook but its installing under a new mail box (hotmail). Is there anyway I can use the personal folders rather than the new hotmail main folder? No. Hotmail needs it's own folder set. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: ...

"operation failed due to network or other communication problems"
When opening email, about 50% of the time I receive the message, "The operation failed due to network or other communication problems. check your connections and try again." there is an "OK Box" provided - when i click on the OK the message opens as if nothing were wrong in the first place. This is becoming more common, it was only occasional for a while but now much more frequent. Problem Area: Fatal Events & Errors Frequency of problem: Sometimes Happens Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - 5.1.2600 ...

Problem with the Contacts Folder
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C59F2F.D5EC7550 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I just reinstalled all my system (OS, Office, other programs) and I did = perform an Import of the PST I have been using before. Everything went = well but this: When I want to send a new email and I press the To... button the = following messages is displayed: "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts Folder associated = with this address list could not be opened; it may have been mo...

Adding an outlook address book folder to My Contacts
Can anyone tell me how to add an Outlook Address Book folder to My Contacts. Some of them show up and others don't. Outlook Address Book is just a view of your contacts folder(s). Right click on the folders you want to use, go to properties, Outlook Address Book, and tick the box. Bruce wrote: > Can anyone tell me how to add an Outlook Address Book > folder to My Contacts. Some of them show up and others > don't. ...

Find identities folder
One of our employees has left recently and we want to access one of his old e-mails that has become relevant again for a project. How do I do that? (Using Outlook) Cheers, Bruce Walker What version of Outlook are you running and what mode (Corp/Workgroup, Internet Mail Only, etc.) do you have it installed in? If you're not sure, check Help | About. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/computers/onenotefaq.htm **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance....

How to use Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool with multiple users
Hi... I've downloaded the Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool and have installed it on a machine for myself. There are multiple profiles on this machine, but they don't have the "backup" option in their outlook. If they try to install, it recognizes that the tool is already installed and wants to unistall it (which I assume will remove it from my profile). How do I get this tool to work for each user's outlook on a single PC? Thanks! Randy ...

Public folder store with no public folder tree
I'm working on an Exchange 2003 Server, SP1 that has a public folder store with no public folder tree. The story I was told was that they created a sample store and a tree to get familiar with public folders, and then wanted and tried to delete it. I don't know what they really did. The store obviously doesn't mount, as there is no public folder tree. And since it will not mount, the backups will not truncate logs with the existance of an unmounted store. You can not delete this public folder store. If you try to recreate the public folder tree using the name used when ...

Create a search folder to look at all emails in one folder and selected criteria in other folders
Hi! Is is possible to create a search folder that shows ALL the email in the Inbox while only showing the unread email is other folders and subfolders? I would like to use this as a modified Inbox. Thanks, PJW I don't think you can do that since a search folder only allows one set of criteria. <phil.whitacre@cox.net> wrote in message news:1144603155.163778.133800@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi! > > Is is possible to create a search folder that shows ALL the email in > the Inbox while only showing the unread email is other folders and > subfolders? I wou...

move to folder rule sends to wrong folder
I use outlook 2003 to download mail from 5 pop3 accounts. I have 5 rules setup, each examines the account the mail came from and then routes it to the appropriate folder under my inbox. (a folder exists for each account). 4 of the rules work perfectly fine but one insists on reverting so that it points to the first folder (alphabetically) when i hit apply. as an example... account1 -> folder1 account2 -> folder2 account3 -> folder1 ... this should point to folder3 account4 -> folder4 account5 -> folder5 I've tried deleting the folder and rule, however as soon as...

Offline Folders
I can not get Outlook's Offline Folders to synch properly. I have them set-up. In Outlook 2000, there was a synchronize option from the tools menu. Where do I go to synchronize them ? How do I get them to work at all ? ...