Max size of OST files

Hi all,

I'm making this post on behalf of a friend. They have a single Exchange2000
server. Not sure if it's SBS or Exchange2000 Std. There are approx 20
mailboxes on this server. The users all use Outlook 2003 (SP3) as their mail
client and Outlook's account type is Exchange and not POP3 or IMAP.

One of the users mailboxes is approx 6Gb in size. What they would like to do
is use offline mode to create a .ost file of this persons mailbox for his
laptop however the file limit on ost files appears to be  2Gb. We did find a
MS k/b article that explained how to create the required registry keys to
allow ost and pst files to grow beyond 2Gb to a max of 20Gb for unicode ost
files, however when they set these keys up on the users laptop and restarted
Outlook they still recieve the

"Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its
maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items
that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them."

error whilst Outlook is creating the ost file. I can only assume it is still
trying to create a non unicode version of the ost file; however we  can't
seem to location the option  that would let us specify the format of the ost
file.

At this point we are open to suggestions. Any help appreciated.

Regards

Craig

0
cwigster (8)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:36:17 +1100, "Craig Matchan"
<cwigster@nospam.swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm making this post on behalf of a friend. They have a single Exchange2000
>server. Not sure if it's SBS or Exchange2000 Std. There are approx 20
>mailboxes on this server. The users all use Outlook 2003 (SP3) as their mail
>client and Outlook's account type is Exchange and not POP3 or IMAP.
>
>One of the users mailboxes is approx 6Gb in size. What they would like to do
>is use offline mode to create a .ost file of this persons mailbox for his
>laptop however the file limit on ost files appears to be  2Gb. We did find a
>MS k/b article that explained how to create the required registry keys to
>allow ost and pst files to grow beyond 2Gb to a max of 20Gb for unicode ost
>files, however when they set these keys up on the users laptop and restarted
>Outlook they still recieve the
>
>"Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its
>maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items
>that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them."

You would need to create a new PST of the new format and move the
items to it. You can't convert an existing PST from the old format to
the new.

>error whilst Outlook is creating the ost file. I can only assume it is still
>trying to create a non unicode version of the ost file; however we  can't
>seem to location the option  that would let us specify the format of the ost
>file.
>
>At this point we are open to suggestions. Any help appreciated.
>
>Regards
>
>Craig

I'd like you to clarify a little as you seem to be jumping around a
bit between OST and PST. If the guy has a 6GB mailbox then I don't
actually see why you want a PST anywhere. The OST file itself can grow
way beyond the 2GB. Mine is 4GB and I haven't even synced some of the
PF faves I want into it yet.
0
mark7219 (5666)
2/15/2007 8:30:48 AM
In news:uegM8PNUHHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Craig Matchan <cwigster@nospam.swiftdsl.com.au> typed:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm making this post on behalf of a friend. They have a single
> Exchange2000 server. Not sure if it's SBS or Exchange2000 Std. There
> are approx 20 mailboxes on this server. The users all use Outlook
> 2003 (SP3) as their mail client and Outlook's account type is
> Exchange and not POP3 or IMAP.
> One of the users mailboxes is approx 6Gb in size. What they would
> like to do is use offline mode to create a .ost file of this persons
> mailbox for his laptop however the file limit on ost files appears to
> be  2Gb. We did find a MS k/b article that explained how to create
> the required registry keys to allow ost and pst files to grow beyond
> 2Gb to a max of 20Gb for unicode ost files, however when they set
> these keys up on the users laptop and restarted Outlook they still
> recieve the
> "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its
> maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some
> items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them."
>
> error whilst Outlook is creating the ost file. I can only assume it
> is still trying to create a non unicode version of the ost file;
> however we  can't seem to location the option  that would let us
> specify the format of the ost file.
>
> At this point we are open to suggestions. Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Craig

Presuming he's actually using OL2003 and not OL2002 (as there is no SP3 for
OL2003...just up to SP2, you should enable cached mode in OL2003 rather than
mucking around with anything manually.

6GB is pretty huge, though - sounds like this company needs mailbox quotas
(and some help with housekeeping).

0
lanwench (7567)

how do i covert publisher 2000 file to publisher 2003 file
I have publisher 2000 files made with mathtype and canvas. Publisher 2003 will not convert,i.e. open many of the files. What is the solution? Are you certain the Publisher 2000 files are Publisher files and not Home Publishing? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CEO Stellaris Consulting" <CEO Stellaris Consulting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEE1E4D3-883F-4C58-9D81-68CDF9F79F44@microsoft.com... >I have publisher 2000 files made with mathtype and canvas. Publisher 2003 > will n...

Bulk Editing Excel Files
I frequently need to make a change to hundreds of excel files. The change is sometimes as simple as renaming a column name or inserting some text. Does anyone know of a tool that can help me accomplish this without having to manually open each excel file? Thanks in advance Dave Hi Dave Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy4.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm <david.tawil@verizon.net> wrote in message news:ff35f336-02cf-4d48-be08-1d4b00eb6914@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I frequently need to make a change to hundreds of excel files. The > change i...

Visio 2003: Space shape could not be Auto Sized!!!
Hi There, I am using Visio 2003 with SP2. Following action returns error message every time on Visio 2003.. Please try it: 1- Open Visio 2003 and select "Building Plan" 2- Select "Home Plan" or "Floor Plan" from right pane. 3- Drag and Drop "Room" layout from Shapes on the left pane to the blank page. (Would be good, expanding room shape a little bit.) 4- Drag and Drop "Space" shape on the Room shape that you've already insterted. 5- Finally right click on "Space" shape and select "Auto Size". Bingo! You may see s...

Max Customers Accounts in CRM 1.2
One of our client who is evaluating CRM asked for number of Customer Accounts Limit of MS CRM 1.2. We know that MS is targeting CRM for small and Medium size orgainzation but can it support customers of an orgainzation to Millions. Or Can some one tell the max limit of Customer Accounts. ? Regards, JZ There is no defined maximum.. The key is sizing the SQL server appropriately. Especialyl with CRM not supporting clustered SQL servers. I know there are companies out there that have implemented (or are in the process of implementing) installs for > 1,000 users. Matt Parks MVP - Micr...

Insert a .gif animated file in a new mail in outlook 2007
how cn i set a animated .gif file in new mail in outlook 2007. "abc" <abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A924B58-51DE-4438-BD76-60FDBA119269@microsoft.com... > how cn i set a animated .gif file in new mail in outlook 2007. AFAIK you can't because (thank goodness) Outlook 2007 doesn't support animations. You can use the Insert image options but it will not be animated in Outlook. If the recipient uses Outlook they will need to view the message in a browser to see the animation. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tip...

Sizing in Pixels
Publisher 2000 and, during 2007 and 2008, Publisher 2007 allowed me to size text boxes and tables using pixels. On my tribe's website I added a calendar, in 2006 and 2007, that I built using Publisher 2000. This worked well. In October 2007 I upgraded to a laptop with Windows Vista and the full suite of Microsoft Office applications, including Publisher. For the 2008 calendar Publisher distorted it so that the calendar displays correctly ONLY in MSIE, a move I disrespect but tolerate. But this morning when I sat down to build the 2009 calendar it no longer allows me to display ...

Max and min
Hi! I would like a formula to anticipate the expected maximum and minimum of votes for each political group in the elections and that the variables are necessary to know Thanks in advance. an ...

Choosing File Details to Include
When syncing my device through WMP using WMA files all the file details (such as artist name, album name) were transfered with the file. However, when I tried to sync MP3 files the only info that transferred was the file (song) name - it also had included the the track# as part of the song name. Last night I THINK I came across a window where I could check off which details to include and also had the option to remove the track # from the song name. Today I cannot find that screen anywhere. Where would I have seen such a screen and how do I find it again? Thanks -- ...

Outlook 2003 cached exchange mode folder size issue
Using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, connection via HTTP and using cached exchange mode for synching everything up. I noticed when looking at folder sizes that there are two tabs - local data and server data. The sizes for the same folders do not match, in fact the local data is about twice the size of the server data for the account with various discrepencies for each folder. When viewing the account in OWA, it is exactly the same as the account viewed in Outlook. Is this an issue with the local copy having free, unused space in the data file? Can this local file be "cleaned" to r...

converting from lotus, file explodes in size
We're trying to convert a large, multi-sheeted Lotus workbook into Excel 2002, but when we did the file size went from a few MB to 20 MB in Excel. Is there a way to convert and keep a more reasonable file size? Thanks! Thanks for your feedback Carrie -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Carrie" <csutton@keywestcity.com> wrote in message news:06a001c3665b$60223ee0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > > Ron, > That did the trick, a number of our worksheets were out to > column IV and down to row 8000! File size went from 22MB >...

How can I save embedded files as gifs
I use Outlook. When I try to save an embedded gif file by right click/save files I can only get the option to save a s BMP. How can I change this? Empty your Temporary Internet Files and try again. "Royalscotty" wrote: > I use Outlook. When I try to save an embedded gif file by right click/save > files I can only get the option to save a s BMP. How can I change this? ...

MAX
Hi, I am looking for a query that will return all the entries where a certain field has its max value. For example: I am interested in all the values where version is at its MAX for a certain id so if my table is: id idea status version 1 Apple open 1 1 Banana close 2 2 Chair close 1 3 Table open 3 3 Flower open 4 4 Keyboard open 1 I would expect to get: 1 Banana close 2 2 Chair close 1 3 Flower open 4 4 Keyboard open 1 Any idea? Thanks, Dan Create a query that selects the id and max(version) Create a second query that joins the table...

Outlook 2003: How do I Access My Contacts In Second Outlook Data File After Upgrade ?
Hi everybody, I use two separate Data Files, I have some contacts in the first (main) file and some in the additional file. After upgrade to 2003 version Contacts are gone from the tree view of the additional Data File. How do I access them ?? Any ideas ? It looks like the new version has more limited functionality and it only supports contacts in one (main) Data File. I hope it is not true. Tom Jastrzebski Did you add the second PST file to your Profile and configure the Outlook Address Book to display it? "Tree view?" -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Tom Jastrzebski"...

Access links to jpg files broke -IE7 at fault?
Access links to jpg files broke -IE7 at fault? We have an 2 access databases. In one, the front end form has images linked to it which used to display on the form. IE7 was installed on all the computers yesterday and now none of the images are showing up. Also, in another database, there are some links to jpgs. When you click the link it used to open in microsoft photo editor but now it opens in an IE7 window. We have checked the file association for the files and it is still set to MS Photo editor. If you open the file directly it opens in that. If you click on a link to the fil...

Does Smartlist have max # of records it looks at?
I created a report through SmartList builder and when I run it, the information stops at 12/7/09. It does not show the rest of the year regardless of what date criteria I use. I then created a similar SQL query and made a new SmartList from that query. Again the information stops at 12/7/09. Is there a maximum number of records that SmartList will look at? Or any ideas on why this is happening? This is my SQL query: select a.ordocnum, a. crdtamnt, a.debitamt, a.trxdate, a.actindx, a.ormstrid, a.ormstrnm, a.dscriptn, b.mnacsgmt, c.userdef1, c.userdef2 from gl20000 a lef...

GP 10 Upgrade error and backup file
I saw a backup folder (Version 9.0.247.0Backup under C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Dynamics) being created while I attempted to upgrade GP 9.0 SP2 (Version 9.00.0281) to GP 10.0. I am not sure where this version 9.0.247.0 came from. I am also having getting error message at the company upgrade menu saying file not found with the following- "c:\program files\microsoft dynamics\GP\SQL\0\Upgrade.dll.upgrade_9_0_259.driver_ini. The upgred is failing due to this error. Has anyone seen this error....what would be the solution for this. Your help is greatetly appreciated. Thanks You ar...

Max decimal places
Does MS Excel have a maximum number decimal places. I know that I can format up to 30 decimal places. (This is not a formatting question.) Is 30 the default or are the decimal places infinite? I am uploading a file to a database and want to set the field length on the database to the maximum possible decimal places as long as its not infinite. Thank You. Excel only supports 15 significant digits. Anything beyond that is no mans land. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "SusieQ" <SusieQ@discussions.microsoft...

Socket buffer sizes.
In my CAsyncSocket derived classes I could change the size of the receive and transmit buffers. With code something like this: int BufferSize = 0x8000; CAsyncSocket::SetSockOpt(SO_RCVBUF, &BufferSize, sizeof(BufferSize), SOL_SOCKET); Questions about needed buffer size probably depend on the traffic rate and packet size. With that said, do I need to change the buffer size? Presumably the default size was carefully selected. Right? What are the default sizes? Can people please give me some guideline here? TomChapman wrote: > In my CAsyncSocket derived classes I cou...

Cannot open Word files outside of Word
After updading to Windows 7, I have had issues saving Word files, but not Excel files, the message saying that I did not have enough RAM or HDD space. I worked around this problem by running Word in Administrative mode. I have resigned myself to this, but now I cannot open a file by clicking on it. I get a message that says essentially that it was unable to send a command to the program. If I open Word and then select the file using file/open, it is successful. Troubleshooter was no help, nor was the repair procedure. I also renamed Normal.dot, temporarily commented out Add-...

adding outlook files to another computer's existing files
Hello, Does anyone have any ideas on how to take files from an Outlook '97 computer and add them to another computer using Outlook 2002? I don't want to replace the files I just want to add to them from my computer. Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Carol ...

ability to configure wait object condition with max wait time capp
configuring wait for object condition results in a wf instance that may wait indefinitely long. It would be good if we could cap the wait period at a specified perod of time or object status change. e.g. wait for case.priority = high (abort wf instance after 6 months of waiting) wait for case.priority = high (abort wf instance after case.status = resolved, cancelled) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do n...

Retreive a deleted file
How can I retreive a delted file Hi Janet If you have setup Excel to automatically create backup copies; then check that folder for the last backed-up version....If it is from your PC, check out the Recylcle Bin (on your desktop) and restore the file. If the file was on a network drive you may need to contact your network administrator and check whether they can recover. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Janet" wrote: > How can I retreive a delted file Go into your Recycle Bin. If deleted from there; http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/recover-deleted-files.htm ...

How do I Import office pst file from 2003 to 2002
I have a saved PST file with all outlook folders and contacts in Office/outlook 2003 that I want to import backwards into Office/outlook 2002. I keep getting an "incompatible file" message. How is this supposed to be done? It cannot; You would need to create a pst in Outlook 2003 using the old format (97-2002) then copy the data to this new pst. Close the pst within Outlook. Copy it to the other PC, eg My Documents, then within Outlook 2002 open that data file "lbw6303" <lbw6303@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81B3950E-7AA3-4566-9D...

wma file size
How can I reduce the file size of a wma audio file by lessening its quality? I tried Windows Media PLayer, but there is no option to do that. thanks On May 28, 10:05=A0pm, "Tom" <t...@unknown.com> wrote: > How can I reduce the file size of a wma audio file by lessening its quali= ty? > I tried Windows Media PLayer, but there is no option to do that. > > thanks ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= --------------------------- This might do what you want... http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/ Bil...

FTP provider for windows 2008 ftp server to automatically delete file after it is downloaded by the client
Hi All, Development Environment: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, Version 9.0.30729.1 Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1 Windows Server 2008 server service pack1 IIS 7.0 FTP 7.5 service Reference : http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/632/how-to-use-managed-code-c-to-create-an-ftp-provider-that-sends-an-email-when-files-are-uploaded/ Required: FTP provider for windows 2008 ftp server to automatically delete file after it is downloaded by the client Problem: I have followed each steps as mention in above link. I have implemented following interface method. ...