Massive problems after server crash......help..!

Hi,

I need to pick as many brains as I can to get me out of a mess. I have just
took over as a network manager at a school, Four servers all 2003 and 600 XP
Pro workstations.I have not got much experience with exchange 2003.

Yesterday the exchange server crashed, I knew I need to have a look at it
before but only on my fourth day of work I had not got round to it. Now the
server takes a age to reboot and then log on. After about tem minutes the
desktop becomes workable. But my problem is that now Exchange manager will
not launch. I check the services and all the exchange services are stopped
and if I try to restart them manually it will not. The last bloke who did my
job was apparently useless and there is no back up of the exchange data what
so ever.

The server has a raid drive and to rule out a hardware issue I installed
windows 2003 on a ide drive (with the raid disconnected) and the server ran
fine.

I have read articles about moving database and log files to another
identically named server in the domain with a fresh install of exchange. I
can get all the files etc from the crashed server but I don't want to screw
this up.

Can anyone help me get out of this big problem.?

0
tosca925 (3)

What errors are you seeing in the event logs?

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:58:53 -0000, "Woody"
<tosca925@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to pick as many brains as I can to get me out of a mess. I have just
>took over as a network manager at a school, Four servers all 2003 and 600 XP
>Pro workstations.I have not got much experience with exchange 2003.
>
>Yesterday the exchange server crashed, I knew I need to have a look at it
>before but only on my fourth day of work I had not got round to it. Now the
>server takes a age to reboot and then log on. After about tem minutes the
>desktop becomes workable. But my problem is that now Exchange manager will
>not launch. I check the services and all the exchange services are stopped
>and if I try to restart them manually it will not. The last bloke who did my
>job was apparently useless and there is no back up of the exchange data what
>so ever.
>
>The server has a raid drive and to rule out a hardware issue I installed
>windows 2003 on a ide drive (with the raid disconnected) and the server ran
>fine.
>
>I have read articles about moving database and log files to another
>identically named server in the domain with a fresh install of exchange. I
>can get all the files etc from the crashed server but I don't want to screw
>this up.
>
>Can anyone help me get out of this big problem.?

0
adavid (8731)
12/11/2004 11:07:22 PM
If your school has a support contract with Microsoft it might be worth
calling them and getting one of their technical support people to talk you
through over the phone.

Looking at Windows logs is a good start to fining out what your issue is.
Also see you have enough disk space.

"Woody" <tosca925@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need to pick as many brains as I can to get me out of a mess. I have
> just took over as a network manager at a school, Four servers all 2003 and
> 600 XP Pro workstations.I have not got much experience with exchange 2003.
>
> Yesterday the exchange server crashed, I knew I need to have a look at it
> before but only on my fourth day of work I had not got round to it. Now
> the server takes a age to reboot and then log on. After about tem minutes
> the desktop becomes workable. But my problem is that now Exchange manager
> will not launch. I check the services and all the exchange services are
> stopped and if I try to restart them manually it will not. The last bloke
> who did my job was apparently useless and there is no back up of the
> exchange data what so ever.
>
> The server has a raid drive and to rule out a hardware issue I installed
> windows 2003 on a ide drive (with the raid disconnected) and the server
> ran fine.
>
> I have read articles about moving database and log files to another
> identically named server in the domain with a fresh install of exchange. I
> can get all the files etc from the crashed server but I don't want to
> screw this up.
>
> Can anyone help me get out of this big problem.?

0
exchange.mvp (559)
12/12/2004 9:58:40 AM
Or pony up the $$ and call PSS.... ?

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Andrew Sword [MVP]" <exchange.mvp@nos.optushome.com.au> wrote in message
> If your school has a support contract with Microsoft it might be worth
> calling them and getting one of their technical support people to talk you
> through over the phone.
>
> Looking at Windows logs is a good start to fining out what your issue is.
> Also see you have enough disk space.
>

> "Woody" <tosca925@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to pick as many brains as I can to get me out of a mess. I have
>> just took over as a network manager at a school, Four servers all 2003
>> and 600 XP Pro workstations.I have not got much experience with exchange
>> 2003.
>>
>> Yesterday the exchange server crashed, I knew I need to have a look at it
>> before but only on my fourth day of work I had not got round to it. Now
>> the server takes a age to reboot and then log on. After about tem minutes
>> the desktop becomes workable. But my problem is that now Exchange manager
>> will not launch. I check the services and all the exchange services are
>> stopped and if I try to restart them manually it will not. The last bloke
>> who did my job was apparently useless and there is no back up of the
>> exchange data what so ever.
>>
>> The server has a raid drive and to rule out a hardware issue I installed
>> windows 2003 on a ide drive (with the raid disconnected) and the server
>> ran fine.
>>
>> I have read articles about moving database and log files to another
>> identically named server in the domain with a fresh install of exchange.
>> I can get all the files etc from the crashed server but I don't want to
>> screw this up.
>>
>> Can anyone help me get out of this big problem.?

0
rasilon1 (689)

Mouse release problem
Hi, I didn't know whether to post this here or where in the Office section. Basically, this happens in Excel most commonly but it other applications aswell. Say I click in cell A1 and then let my finger off the mouse, when I the move the mouse it behaves as if I still have the mouse button held down. The only way to get it to release control is by Ctrl Alt Del. I do use the On-screen keyboard (built into NT and XP), and thats the only other software running. I've had this happen on 2 seperate machines now. Please help!? Cheers, Russ. Hi Russ, see Ghosting of cells fro...

Migration Framework
Hi, I have a CRM system which has its users' security messed up and doesn't match my AD. In order to save the data in the system, I'm using the Migration framework to move data to a new CRM server. However, I'm encountering the following errors and would really appreciate any help... 1) Closed opportunities with associated quotes are failing to close. 2) Revised quotes are created as new quotes with revision number '0'. 3) After migration, some PricePerUnit values are different from the values that were uploaded to the cdf_quote table and the PriceList too. 4) C...

Help with a multi if then else formula.
I have the following scenario for which I would require one formula which would be in cell E25:- A numerical weight amount is input in cell A25. If the weight is between greater than 1 and less than 41 KG, the user will manually select a particular price, and therefore “Normal Price” to appear in B25 and “1” to appear in B26. A formula should be inserted in B27 which is B25*B26. If the weight entered is greater than 40 and less then 101 KG, the user will manually select an additional pricing and therefore “41 - 100 Price” to appear in C25, “Normal Price” to appear in B25, B26 to cont...

Adding massive number of email accounts to outlook 2007
Hi, im searching for some tool/add-on for outlook that can add alot email accounts+settings in short time. cause adding them one by one will take long time... maybe Interface tweak or editing the file that store the information so i can use copy+paste to do it faster... thanks.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com You'll need to use a PRF. http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/prf.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips...

Out of Office problems

How to change Default Offline Address List server??
How to change Default Offline Address List server if you have multiple Administrative groups aka multiple exchange server in different sites?? We are looking to change Default Offline Address List server. Actually we were on 5.5 and while migration, we started from one of the remote site connected via wan-link. Since, this is the first exchange server to be migrated to 2003, this became the HOME SERVER for Offline Address List aka Offline Address List Server. Now, we want to move this server to cluster from EXCHANGE SYSTEM MANAGER - RECIPIENTS - OFFLINE ADDRESS LIST - DEFAULT OFFLINE ADDRESS...

Copy/paste problem with Pub2007
All of a sudden, copy/paste is not working. I copy to the clipboard (which had been empty) and when I attempt to paste what I just copied, I get an image of an item I previously copied and pasted (but which is not now on the clipboard.) If you re-boot your computer does the clipboard behave? Have you opened the Office Clipboard? Does that help? (Edit, Office Clipboard). -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Tom C" <TomC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D8F8D9F-78C7-49E8-8B78-D1BAE01C16F9@microsoft.com... > All of a sudden, copy/paste is not workin...

POP and IMAP on F/E and B/End Servers
Hi there, I just implemented a Front-End Back-End five node (one of them passive) Exchange 2003 cluster. Everything is working except IMAP and POP. I have stopped the services and restarted them I have restarted IIS, all to no avail. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Do I need to do anything on the Front End server besides enabling and starting the services in order for these two to work. Thanks Warsai On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:52:01 -0700, warsai <warsai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi there, > >I just implemented a Front-End Back-End five node (one of them passi...

problem in number grouping
hi did anyone try to change the settings of the number grouping? (from xx.xxx.00 to xx.xxx,00) we tried that and got the following problem new product in a quote: ( product A --> decimal supported: 2) after typing in the quantity of product A f.e. 75,25 it switched to 75.025,00 ! But it calculated with 75,25! after refreshing the calculation based on 75.025,00! our regional setttings are english (united states) and we use the win server 2k03. i tried to fix it bye changing the number grouping settings in the regional settings, but it didn't work. Using the english(usa) regional settin...

OE 6 VERY Slow and Other Problems ...
Hello ... I've been using OE 6 for a number of years. In recent months, it has become more and more of a problem. For one thing, it responds very slowing. Often, when I receive a new e-mail and click on it, OE 6 just sits there for a while before doing anything. Then it will often first show whatever Web page I have open -- leaving OE 6. I will have to click on OE 6 to get back to it. Then when I get back to it and click again on the e-mail to open it, OE 6 usually sits there for a while before opening the e-mail. This is irritating, especially if I'm in a hurry and receive an ...

Replace massively formulas with new formulas
Hi there, would like to get your input/hints on how to solve the following: In a series of cells in a row, I already have a formula calculating a division among two other columns. The rows are many (more than 500). But now I need to apply a ROUND formula, on top of the existing ones. ex. cell C5 = A1/B1 and I want to massively apply for all cells in a row the formula: =ROUND(A1/B1,3) I need the accuracy of the values to be at the 3rd decimal and not just the appearance of the cells. I also need to avoid VB programming. Anyone who can help? THanks M Why can't you just co...

Contact List in Exchange server 2003
Can email contacts be shared among all users? Also, currently using Outlook Express and would like to import addresses and messages into Exchange, is there an easy way to do this? The addresses need to be seen by everyone. I would setup a public folder and drag my Contacts folder into it ...

Offset help #2
formula'{=OFFSET(A42,MATCH(A2,LEFT($A$42:$A$658,LEN($A$2)),0) -1,0)}' which works fine, but how do i show the next entry from the list in th cell below -- comotoma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- comotoman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2729 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49525 Do you mean =OFFSET(A42,MATCH(A2,LEFT($A$42:$A$658,LEN($A$2)),0),0) -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "comotoman" <comotoma...

problem in acessing date
I am implementing a database.I am able to get string value and integer values.But i have no idea how to get date out of a database.I am using MS ACESS.Can you help ..Please.... Jeevan Use a CTime object. If you derive a class from CRecordset, the ClassWizard will do this for you. "Jeevan" <fenn_j@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:ek9T3WucEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I am implementing a database.I am able to get string value and integer > values.But i have no idea how to get date out of a database.I am using MS > ACESS.Can you help ..Please.... > >...

PO Entry problem
when I use a vb6 to create a purchase order entry. I used gateway.createpurchaseorder, it work and create a po, however, when i used the sql statement inside my vb6 program to create the po entris, the entries were inserted into the database, i can query it out and see they are there. However, if I used the RMS Manager program to view the order, there not entry for the order, please advice Raemond wrote: > when I use a vb6 to create a purchase order entry. I used > gateway.createpurchaseorder, it work and create a po, however, when i used > the sql statement inside my vb6 prog...

SetWorldTransform problem
I've created simple SDI project and when I put such stuff on OnPaint for the View class the GDI operations after SetWorldTransform doesn't seem to work. Why? I add that I'm working on default MM_TEXT mapping mode and XP system CPaintDC dc(this); HDC hDc = dc.GetSafeHdc(); XFORM xTransform; CRect area(100,100,200,200); dc.Rectangle(area); // this one is visible int oldMode = SetGraphicsMode(hDc, GM_ADVANCED); xTransform.eDx = 200; xTransform.eDy = 100; SetWorldTransform(hDc,&xTransform); dc.Rectangle(area); // this one was not painted !!?? xTransform.eDx = xTransform.eDy = 0;...

Autotext problem
Hi Word 2003 I have a macro that I have been using for months without serious incident then suddenly today it has stopped working giving an error. I have a table that I insert via autotext. I select some text and run a macro and the selected text is formated and inserted into the table. The autotext insertion is not working giving an error 5941 The requested member of the collection does not exist. It stops on this line ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate.AutoTextEntries("MyTable").Insert Where:=oRng The autotext entry "MyTable" works fine when i ins...

No icons, or icon Links in Excel Help
Within last week or so I've managed to loose all the icons, icon links in the Excel Help ie, for "See Also","Examples", & "Applies To". Now I only get small square with dot in the middle where the icon should be. I have complete remove and reinstall office 2000 with all service packs. I still have the same problem. Any help to fix this problem would be greatly appericated. Rick ...

Money 2007 Installation Problem
I've been unsuccessful in installing either the Deluxe or Essentials version of the program. I've searched the web and implemented the "reset security settings",reboot, and then shut down all anti-virus/spyware programs. I still get a window that says not all of the necessary components were installed so the installation has failed. -- Thanks MUCH! Dave ...

problem w/ autoresolution in Outlook 2000
Hi, I am using outlook 2000 w/ personal folders and w/ exchange 5.5 as the back end. I would like to add some important smtp addresses in my local contacts (located in my personal folder) . but the problem is , when typing the smtp address of a contact, it auto resolves it to the Exch 5.5 Display name. Now, You would no longer see the smpt address. Any work around on this? Pls. help. thanks, Joko ...

Access 07 Crashing still after SP1
Hello, I asked this earlier this year to no avail. We have three different programs (were 03 and worked fine) that we still can not right click in all datasheets that are in a subform, if you right click on a field in a column that doesn't have focus or control, Access shutsdown/ crashes. If you left click first on any field, then right click on that data field, no problem. We have done this on ten different PCs running XP SP3 and Vista. Has anyone else encountered this? Things we have tried: 1. Convert to 07. 2. Run as 03 in 07. 3. Built new 07 and imported all forms, tables, macro...

Massive Increase in SPAM?
Has anyone else out there had a significant increase in SPAM in the past week? We normally get in around 90K messages per day. Yesterday we got 133K messages coming into the company. Our systems filter SPAM pretty well but we have been getting massive amounts this week. Thanks, Fred On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:04:22 -0600, "Fred Yarbrough" <fcyarbrough@yahoo.com> wrote: >Has anyone else out there had a significant increase in SPAM in the past >week? > >We normally get in around 90K messages per day. Yesterday we got 133K >messages coming into the company. &...

Need help with complicated chart (xy chart? z axis? not sure!)
I have two groups of people from a survey I recently conducted, "probably" people, and "definitely" people. Each one provided a title, as well as choosing the price range they deemed fair for a particular service. I want to create a chart that captures how many of each group of people have a certain category of title and chose a specific price range. Thus, the data to chart looks something like this: Definitely: $1000 $ 3000 President 2 6 VP 8 3 Probably...

Strange CListCtrl problem
Hello, I am using a list control (CListCtrl) in "report view" format within a class derived from CFormView. I am creating the columns in the overridden OnIntialUpdate( ) method using InsertColumn( ). I then attempt to populate the control using InsertItem( ) and SetItemText( ) methods in the overridden OnUpdate method. In this case, the InsertItem( ) calls seem to work with data being displayed as intended, however the SetItemText( ) calls do not cause any data to be displayed. Now, if I cut and paste the code from the OnUpdate( ) method to the OnIntialUpdate( ) method, eve...

Need help with CACL's between two domain
I have a question that perhaps someone can help answer. We have a production domain and a test domain and there exists a one way trust where test trusts production. While logged onto my production XP Pro PC I used a RUN AS to open a command windows using my production domain administrator's account and then attempted to run the following CACL's command involving a folder and a user account in our test environment. cacls \\c1app422\users\id99998 /T /E /G CFTDomain\id99998:c /r "CFDomain\Domain Users" When run, the program it retuns an error message "No mappi...