MAPI vs IMAP4

Taking my 70-284 Exchange exam soon. One area that is still confusing
me is what MAPI really is and how it compares to imap4/pop3 etc....
If anyone could set me straight it would be appreciated:

Questions:

1) Mapi is a protocol.. just like IMAP4/POP3 but with more
features.... right?
2) How does MAPI compare to IMAP4? Both can use the default folder
tree?
3) What ports does mapi use? Is there a form of "secure" mapi like
with imap pop3 and http?

A brief explaination would be very appreciated... Thanks guys

-1

.....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....

Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
>uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....

Then you're in big trouble!

MAPI isn't a "wire" protocol. It's software that the application uses
to insulate itself from having to deal with multiple protocols.

RPC, HTTP, POP3, IMAP4, SMTP, ESMTP, X.400, etc. are all different
protocols that define how data are sent and received.

            Client
              ^

        Client Interface        -+
             MAPI                | <= MAPI Subsystem
    Service Provider Interface  -+
      ^        ^          ^
      |        |          |
      v        v          v
    MSMail   Exchange    FAX . . . POP3   IMAP4 <= Service Providers
      ^        ^          ^         ^       ^
      |        |          |         |       |
      v        v          v         v       v
    MSMail  Exchange     FAX       POP3   IMAP4
    Server   Server     Modem     Server  Server

If, for example, the "Exchange" Service Provider is using RPC, or
RPC-Over-HTTP, and uses VPN, Dial-Up, or whatever, the "Client" doen't
have to know (or care).

>Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
>RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

That's a protocol question, not a client question.

You can tell the service provider (the bit that knows how to talk to
that particular server) to encrypt the RPC connection. You can tell
the service provider to use HTTPS (continue that with POP/POPS,
IMAP/IMAPS, etc.)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

True or false:

1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
2) MAPI uses IMAP4
3) MAPI uses POP3
4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/IMAPS/
POPS)

Any responses are appeciated!

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Now I'm confused again... Please help!
>
>True or false:

Yes. MAPI can use the service providers that make those protocols
available. But the application that uses MAPI doesn't really care.

Applications use MAPI (just as they also might use ADSI or ODBC, DAO,
and many other APIs). MAPI presents a uniform interface to the
application regardless of the chosen service provider that connects to
the data source.

>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP

RPC-over-HTTP is part of the "Exchange server" service provider. The
profile may define that RPC-over-HTTPS should be used, but it could
just as well have said to use RPC.

>2) MAPI uses IMAP4

IMAP4 is a protocol that's made available by the "Internet Email"
service provider.

>3) MAPI uses POP3

POP3 is a protocol that's made available by the "Internet Email"
service provider.

>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/IMAPS/
>POPS)

To secure the data, secure the protocol (which is handled by the
service provider). The MAPI profile provides the information to the
service provider.

The data sent and received by the protocols you mention are secured by
the use of SSL.

>Any responses are appeciated!

The meeaning of MAPI (which is an acronym for "Messaging Application
Programming Interface") has, unfortunately, been bastardized to mean
something completely different. It's commonly used as a shorthand for
"Exchange Service Provider" (which really includes access not just to
the mailbox but also to the address book(s), and public folders -- and
probably more that I'm omitting).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?

1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
2) MAPI uses IMAP4
3) MAPI uses POP3
4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
IMAPS/
POPS)

Thanks in advance

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
>brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
>incorrect.

Your desire to simplify a compecate topic will end in tears.

>Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>
>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP

False.

>2) MAPI uses IMAP4

False.

>3) MAPI uses POP3

False.

>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
>IMAPS/
>POPS)

False.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Dennis" <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Taking my 70-284 Exchange exam soon. One area that is still confusing
> me is what MAPI really is and how it compares to imap4/pop3 etc....
> If anyone could set me straight it would be appreciated:
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Mapi is a protocol.. just like IMAP4/POP3 but with more
> features.... right?
> 2) How does MAPI compare to IMAP4? Both can use the default folder
> tree?
> 3) What ports does mapi use? Is there a form of "secure" mapi like
> with imap pop3 and http?
>

> A brief explaination would be very appreciated... Thanks guys

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 12:57:41 AM
The better question is how do you secure an RPC client? (and also "what is
RPC for $1000, alex")

Some RPC based applications /can/ use HTTPS as a secure tunnel.
Using HTTPS is pretty much the same thing as using a VPN.  It tunnels the
RPC traffic through a separately constructed encrypted link.
Many applications (Outlook and Exchange included) don't need separate
tunneling in general though because RPC traffic can be encrypted by the
application itself.

You're only talking about transport though in all of your questions, and
MAPI does more than just provide an interface to a variety of transports.

> ....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
> uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....
>
> Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
> RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:01:23 AM
Your suggestion that answers are incorrect just because you don't understand
them is incorrect.

> Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
> brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
> incorrect.
>

> Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>
> 1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
> 2) MAPI uses IMAP4
> 3) MAPI uses POP3
> 4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
> IMAPS/
> POPS)
>

> Thanks in advance

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:01:53 AM
Most likely your tears. ;)

> Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
>>brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
>>incorrect.
>
> Your desire to simplify a compecate topic will end in tears.
>
>>Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>>
>>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
>
> False.
>
>>2) MAPI uses IMAP4
>
> False.
>
>>3) MAPI uses POP3
>
> False.
>
>>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
>>IMAPS/
>>POPS)
>
> False.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:02:17 AM
"andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote:

>Most likely your tears. ;)

Nah. I tried twice. I'm done.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

MAPI in GP
Hello All, Can anyone assist me in detail how can i use MAPI feature in Great Plains 9.0. -- With Regards Junaid Idrees Associate Project Manager Enterprise Business Solutions That depends on what you mean by "use the MAPI feature in Great Plains". What are you trying to accomplish? patrick mbs developer support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Junaid Idrees" <junaid_rms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB1AE16F-FE51-4465-9643-83F6A15EC763@microsoft.com... > Hello All, > > Can...

summary bar %
I have a formula which works out the planned % for individual bars - works great. The problem I have is with the summary bars. My formula works in a straight line ie 2 days out of 10 = 20%. I know that MSP uses a different method to calculate the actual % of summary bars - I understand how it does it, what I was hoping for is there somebody out there that could issue a formula (via a macro) that copies that method, as at the moment the two do not correlate. Thanks in anticipation. Andrew Andrew, I don't have any magic formula or macros to contribute to you; however ...

FTE's in Portfolio Server vs Project Server
Is there a way that I can change the calendar for the calculation of FTE's in Portfolio Server? It appears to calculate FTE's based on an 8 hour day, resulting in my Project Server imported Resource Utilisation showing as 0.92 or something per FTE. FYI, the export from PPS to PS Resource Plan the value is correct 1 FTE = 1 FTE, it's just when I Update Availability do I see these different values. Any help would be great thanks, Martin Laukkanen ...

MAPI "OpenMsgStore" failed
Help this is the error I am getting: The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error: You do not have permission to log on. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0519-00000000 Source: MSExchangeSA Category: MAPI Session EventID: 9175 This shows up about once a min. in the event log - but everything seems to be working OK. This is a new Exchange 2003 setup - We had a single label domain on our old server - To fix, I installed a new sever and used EXMERGE to try to bring mail over from the old server. While trying...

Memory Table vs. CTE
I had posted a week or so ago about a performance issue with Null-able variables being passed into stored procedures and the performance gains by setting those parameters to local variables declared in the stored procedure. I followed that advice and all was well. How ever, the stored procedure started to time out the again, running the stored proc on my local SQL server would take 3:45 to return 5 rows. Something was wrong. The stored procedure was using 4 CTE tables, one of those tables being referenced in 5 different locations through-out the stored proc. The only change I made t...

mfc70d.dll in VS.NET 2003 problem
I have some MFC dll's which were compiled in VS.NET 2002. I am at present working in VS.NET 2003. I now need to use these dlls but whenever I try to run my app I get the following error. This application has failed to start because MFC70D.DLL. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. I really dont want to spend a whole day re-installing VS.NET 2003 !! Any ideas?? Hi, This means that your MFC DLLs where compiled and linked in DEBUG mode and when you load the DLL it is trying to open the VS.NET 2002 MFC DEBUG DLL. It's not asking you to reinstall VS.NET 2003, that&#...

extended mapi
Hi, I want some help/hint on how we can place an image in the header of the preview pane using Extended MAPI. This would be for Outlook and Outlook express also. We can show a thumbnail of sender in the righthand space of the preview pane header where we see sender, receiver email addresses and subject in gray background. Thanks, shahaji ...

Finder vs.Outbak.dll -- 2
.... FINDER caused an invalid page fault in module OUTBAK.DLL at 018f:01a65468 Also, when the .psf backup dialog box runs, a dos window runs in the background... Someone previously posted this - I have the same issue. Does anyone have a clue as to why this happens and how to correct it? Of course, there is nothing in the MS Lack of Knowledge Base! -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com ...

Gainskeeper in M2K4 vs Captial Gains in M2K3
What value does Gainskeeper add to M2K4? I can check my Capital Gains via M2K3 and even do scenerio tasks. Thanks!! In microsoft.public.money, $2K3 User wrote: >What value does Gainskeeper add to M2K4? I can check my Capital Gains via >M2K3 and even do scenerio tasks. Money does not do wash sale recognition and handling. It handles the schedule D well for most people. ...

RegisterWindowMessage vs WM_USER
I read in the documentation that: "Only use RegisterWindowMessage when more than one application must process the same message. For sending private messages within a window class, an application can use any integer in the range WM_USER through 0x7FFF. " It seems much more convenient to use RegisterWindowMessage even within the same app as you can use it inside several dofferent classes and get the same result for the same string without the classes having to know about each other. OTOH if you use WM_USER the messaging ID must be known to all the classes that use it by some form of ...

UDP socket works fine on NT, doesn't work on Windows 2000 outside VS 6.0 IDE
We have an old client-server MFC application that uses UDP socket connection between client and server. In a nutshell, the client opens a connection, and the server starts sending small heartbeats every second. Everything works fine on Win95/98/NT4.0 SP6 and on Windows 2000 SP3 inside VS 6.0 IDE in the debug mode. On Windows 2000 either inside IDE (release mode) or outside VS 6.0 IDE (both debug and release build), client only receives a few first heartbeats, nothing thereafter. And the socket remains open. Is anyone familiar with this behaviour? Any suggestions? Any help will be greatly app...

MAPI
My Canon Camera A70 instructions tell me that my email program ( Outlook) must be set up as a MAPI client in order to send an image as an attachment to an email using Zoom Browser EX. How do I do this Is Outlook your default email program to send/receive email - or do you have it set to Outlook Express or some other third party program? Check Control Panel - Internet Properties - Programs and see if Microsoft Outlook is selected for email. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01da01c3a0be$37d17490$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My Canon Camera A70 instructions tell...

MAPI problem
Hello, in my application, I'm using MAPI to get some messages in the mailbox. I'm using MAPIFindNext to browse mails. On a big mailbox (about 1500 messages) I have no problems with thunderbird, but with Outlook 2003 it's very slow and if I open a new application, I can't work with it because it loose focus when my app loop. here is a sample that demonstrate it: BOOL bOK = TRUE; CString cursor; while (bOK) { char result[513]; try { m_LastMAPIError=MAPIFindNext(hSession(), hparent, NULL , cursor, MAPI_LONG_MSGID, 0, result); if (m_LastMAPIError==SUC...

Excel 2000 vs XP vs 2003
Anybody know where I can find a definitive list of changes to Excel 2000, XP and 2003. Is there a better resource? I have tried this, but I'm looking for more information. http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/compare. mspx THANKS! :) Hi maybe not a 'definitive' list but have a look at: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,49607,00.asp http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/xl2003.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Erica Smith wrote: > Anybody know where I can find a definitive list of > changes to Excel 2000, XP and 2003. Is there a better ...

Workbook_Activate() vs Workbook_Open()
So, when a user opens my Excel file, my Visual Basic script is going to automatically fill the cells on the current sheet with predetermined values.... My question is, does it make a difference if I place my auto fill code into the Workbook_Activate() function as opposed to the Workbook_Open() function?? I know that Workbook_Open() gets called before Workbook_Activate()....so does it really matter WHERE I place my initilization/auto fill code?? Thank you If you put it in the WB Open event, it only runs that one time to autofill the cells. But if yoiu use the Activate even...

how to mail programmatically and MAPI ?
Hello, is there a way to programmatically choose the recipients and text and attachments before the opening of the mail window done by the message ID_FILE_SEND_MAIL ( which opens the default mail software window as Outlook Express or Netscape ) Thanks Xavier > is there a way to programmatically choose the recipients and text and > attachments before the opening of the mail window done by the message > ID_FILE_SEND_MAIL ( which opens the default mail software window as > Outlook Express or Netscape ) You can control the messagebody, recipents, attachments, ... using the ...

2003 vs 2007 Chart problem
When using Excel 2003 I asked this question: "I have a sheet with 2 charts which get their data from some calculated cells that I'd really like to hide, but when I hide them, the chart dissappears. Even making the columns 0 width does this" ....and this was the answer that worked for me: "You need to change the properties of the chart object. Hold the SHIFT key whilst selecting the chart. This should give you a set of white square handles. Press <CTRL+1> to bring up the format dialog. On the Properties dialog select the option Do not move & size with cells. Now ...

MAPI ???
Greetings!!! I m using MS OutlookXP. I got this error while opening. Unable to open your default e-mail folder. The .dll file for the information service could not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.dll. Be sure the service is corectly installed and configured. I have also uninstall and re-install officeXp. But still error continues. Awaiting for kind help. regds, Saurabh GO TO TOOLS/OPITONS/MAIL SETUP/ Then click on EMAIL ACCOUNTS Then when the Wizard opens under Directory click View or Change existing..... When that opens up REMOVE the Active Directory!...

CFormView vs. CRecordView
I want to create a dialog looking data entry screen. I don't want the entry screen filling the whole view. I want it to be just enough to hold all the controls. Can the recordview do this or does it have to expand to fill the whole view? Is so, then probably formview is my best choice? Correct? William Gower wrote: > I want to create a dialog looking data entry screen. I don't want the entry > screen filling the whole view. I want it to be just enough to hold all the > controls. Can the recordview do this or does it have to expand to fill the > whole view? Is so...

Searching for a record in ADO vs DAO
Hi, I found this example code in the newsgroup here and it is what I need to do, but I am using ADO instead of DAO. I have successfully coded all of my record navigation (movefirst, movennext, add new, delete, etc) so far. I am using a query on an unbound combo box on an unbound form using the afterupdate property event to go to a specific record. I need help adapting this example to ADO since the methods obviously wont work with my current configuration. Thank you for your help. Private Sub cboFindContact_AfterUpdate() Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone rs.FindFirst "...

mail with ID_FILE_SEND_MAIL and MAPI
Hello to all, I would like to add mail support to my application , by using the default mail software (for example netscape or outlook express ) interface. I can do it automatically with the message ID_FILE_SEND_MAIL MFC integrated, but I would like, before opening the window , to programmatically add some attachments files, the "To:" and "Cc:" fields ( the recipients of the mail message ) , the text of the mail , and maybe using the outlook adress book etc ... Is it possible to do this ? I found some examples using MAPI but it re-create a new mail window, and d...

VS 2005
Hi Everyone, Did anyone have problems installing MSDN for VS 2005. I installed VS 2005 yesterday, then told it to install the documentation, but it wouldn't take the MSDN for VS 2005 disk. So I started the installation myself, by running setup on MSDN disk. But even then, when it asked for disk 2, I put it in, but it wouldn't recognize it! AliR. Looks like a bad CD/DVD. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "AliR" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message news:Eywvf.63431$tV6.62144@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net... > Hi Everyone, > > Did anyone have problems install...

Exchange 2000 vs 2003
I am performing a server redeployment over the holiday period and am considering upgrading our Exchange 2000 Server to an Exchange 2003 Server. Our servers all run Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition, and I am wondering about stability of Exchange 2003 vs 2000. Does anyone have experience making this upgrade and if so, have you encountered any issues with stabililty under Exchagne 2003? Thank you in advance for your comments! I have done both in-place upgrades from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003, and the 'move mailbox' method. In my experience, both have been fine and in my ...

Mapi/CDO Outlook emailing
I'm using a mapi/cdo routine (based on code from Sue Mosher) to generate a mass email from a CRM Access application. I'm looping through a recordset adding email body/attachments etc and then objOutlookMsg.Close (olSave) objOutlookMsg.Move objOutlookDestFolder for each message saves the email to the Outlook Outbox and only one security warning is thrown for the entire session which is fine. However, all the messages in the Outbox are non-italicised, i.e. each one has to be opened up and Send clicked. If I add objOutlookMsg.Send to the loop, I get a separate security dialog box...

Synch errors for MAPI Hotmail accounts
For my MAPI Hotmail accounts, emails are not deleted from the Hotmail server when I try to delete them in Outlook 2007. I am getting synchronization errors, and messages move to the "Local Failures" folder in Outlook. Scenario: I delete an email, and it goes to the "Deleted Items" folder for the account. I right click on the "Deleted Items" folder, and select Empty "Deleted Items" folder. I click Yes to permanently delete all items. They move from the "Deleted Items" folder to the "Local Failures" folder and are not d...