Manager can update membership list - what else can a manager do?

Dear font of all knowledge,

I've been asked to change the Managers on several DGs, and one thing
springs to mind:

If I want to allow the manager to update the members of the group, I
have to tick an extra box to allow this.

What can the manager do with the group if the box /isn't/ ticked?

Thanks in advance,

AdamT

0
adwulf (3)

Depends on what security group the manager belongs to and what
security groups have rights on the DG.

James Chong (MVP)
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

On Mar 26, 4:18 am, "Adam  Thompson" <adw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear font of all knowledge,
>
> I've been asked to change the Managers on several DGs, and one thing
> springs to mind:
>
> If I want to allow the manager to update the members of the group, I
> have to tick an extra box to allow this.
>
> What can the manager do with the group if the box /isn't/ ticked?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> AdamT

0
jamestechman (1266)
3/26/2007 2:03:17 PM
"Adam  Thompson" <adwulf@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been asked to change the Managers on several DGs, and one thing
>springs to mind:
>
>If I want to allow the manager to update the members of the group, I
>have to tick an extra box to allow this.
>
>What can the manager do with the group if the box /isn't/ ticked?

Assuming the person's not a member of some group that's inherited
permissions that others don't have, nothing that anyone else can't do.

All that happens when you check that box is that the person's given
the "Write members" permission. There's no magic. You can do the same
thing by using the "Advanced" button on the group's "Security" tab.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I need a Excel template for property management
I own three rental properties and I'm looking for a simple template for Excel that will allow me to merely track expenses and income. The simpler the better. this might help. Or, ask someone for custom programming. http://tinyurl.com/6svu2 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B845B7C4-0DAA-40A3-880A-FD0A6F298AFD@microsoft.com... > I own three rental properties and I'm looking for a simple template for Excel > that will allow me to merely track expenses and income. The simpler the >...

List first letter upper case
Column B in a spreadsheet has a single word in each cell. Some words begin with an upper case letter, others with a lower case letter. Can someone please tell me a simple way to extract a list of those rows where the word in column B begins with an upper case letter? Enter this in, say, F2: =EXACT(LEFT(B2,1),UPPER(LEFT(B2,1))) Then select column B, use Data/Filter/Advanced filter. Enter F1:F2 in the Criteria range, then click OK. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Bob Frolek" <BobFrolek@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1124215185.498946.49840@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Colum...

Risk management
Hi. I have searched wide and high for a risk management spread sheet to calulate a budget using the principles "proactive management". Anyone with a sugestione? Thanks. Ole ...

Re: How can I edit the GAL?
Check - "IMI GAL Modify" - ttp://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/imigm.htm - we use it from few years... "Frusturat$d" <Frusturatd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47579443-D2BA-4B62-AD45-EAB7889154A2@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to give a user (say in HR or Admin) rights to the GAL so > that > they can update employee phone numbers and locations? ...

Can individual words in a sentence be animated in powerpoint?
I am trying to highlight some individual words within a paragraph. I'd like to give them some animation and not the whole sentence. On 6/4/10 1:08 PM, consultkjb wrote: > I am trying to highlight some individual words within a paragraph. I'd like > to give them some animation and not the whole sentence. I think you can only do that if they are in a separate text box. --David -- David M. Marcovitz Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Associate Professor, Loyola University Maryland Author of _Powerful PowerPoint for Educators_ http://www.PowerfulPowerPoint.com/ ...

Help! Why can't I log on????
I am receiving my email on my Blackberry but, not on my home computer. Ever since last night I keep getting this message: Account: 'pop.charter.net', Server: 'pop.charter.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid user name or password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You! First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail: http://www.charter.net/files/charter/redirect.php?to=webmail If that works, it proves you have the correct...

unable to install Office updates KB980729 and KB981715
I have been unable to install the updates for Office 2007 offered on 4-13-2010; KB980729 and KB981715. I keep getting error 646. When that happens, I download the update manually and install it that way. Here are links to the updates: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980729 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981715 In each case, scroll down to the "Download the update package now" link. -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word Bible Blog: http://word.herbtyson.com Web: http://www.herbtyson.com "themac" <themac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

OL2K can't kill Personal Folders...?
Howdy, I can't seem to remove a set of Personal Folders from the folder tree in OL2K SP3. Here's the situation: I travel with a notebook. I run OL on it. After a few days, I copied its (new, and thus very small) PST file to my desktop system. I added the new PST in Tools | Services so that at that point I had two sets of Personal Folders displayed in the tree. I then copied messages from the small PST to the larger PST that my desktop ordinarily uses. When that was done, I went back into Tools | Services to remove the PST that I no longer needed. With that completed, I was surpri...

can't open an Excel 97 file
Hi all, We have a 2 MB Excel 97 file that suddenly sent an error message when trying to open it: "imposible leer archivo" (that is "impossible to open file") We do not have a backup copy of the file, do you any way to recover the information saved on that file? Thanks, Betty This has been multiposted. "Betty" <no@quiero.spam> wrote in message news:%23fwNqxksFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > We have a 2 MB Excel 97 file that > suddenly sent an error message when > trying to open it: > "imposible leer archivo" (th...

How many graphs can I have in excel?
Have heard rumours that there is a maximum no of graphs that can be in an Excel workbook. What is that number. I currently have 126 and am looking to increase, but don't want to lose everything in the process. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Elmtailye - According to Microsoft, the limit for Excel 97 is 124, or 248 if you turn off font autoscaling in all of your charts. Excel 2000 (and probably later) have a similar problem, but they don't ...

Managed Newsgroup access denied
I am unable to access the managed newsgroups since they changed the secure code last week. I have followed the instructions to reregister but I still get the error 'access denied'. Any idea what could be causing this? They have answered one of my questions from last week but I've been unable to get in to see it. Thanks for any help. Tracey D Tracey, email me with your registered GP company name so I can verify, and I will escalate this for you. -Mike -- Micheal LoPatriello Coordinator, Luna Development mlopat@lunadevelopment.com http://www.lunadevelopment.com "T...

Office Smart Tag Manager
Good afternoon, I have the following error with Office Smart Tag Manager for Great Plains: Error: Database Connection Problem Possible causes include: This user accounts is not a member of any smart tag groups Bad connection information SQL Server is not running No smart Tag groups configured Please verify and try again. Which the procedure is to solve this error? I already erased all tables and store procedures of database Dynamics already Uninstall the product and I installed it again and the problem persists. that I make? ...

File Cache Manager With SRAM in WINCE 6.0
Hi, I m developing a back-up utility which automatically backs up the transaction data to a permanent storage (NOR flash). Transaction data will be triggered very frequently and existing transaction data files may be modified frequently. Therefore I need a RAM based cache file system along with a permanent storage. My questions are, 1. I m trying to use File Cache Manager to accomplish it. Is this a correct solution? 2. If YES, how can i use my SRAM (not the SDRAM) to store the cached files? (In case of a power fluctuation, SRAM is more reliable than SDRAM, therefore we sele...

Integration Manager Greyed Out
What would cause "Integration Manager" (Tools >> Integrate) to be grayed out, but "Run Integration" is available. My guess is a security setting, but I can't find it. What version of GP are you using? I've seen situations where Int Mgr was not available from the menu and I had to put it on the shortcut bar. You can also check dex.ini and verify the line exists: IMPath=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions\Integration Manager\IM.EXE IMExecPath=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions\Integration Manager\IMRun.EXE "Jed Perlowin"...

Can't undo a scheduled bill in the budget
In Money 2004, I have a category that used to have a scheduled bill. I've since changed the bill amount and category using the "bills" section. But the bill still shows up in the budget: old amount, old category. So my budget is skewed by exactly the amount of this old bill. Trouble is, I can't find the old bill anywhere else to delete it. If I edit the category in the budget, money doesn't show the monthly charge. If I go to bills, this old bill doesn't show up, so there's nothing to delete. Puzzled and frustrated. Anyone see this before and have ...

How can I secure Outlook when using RPC over HTTP?
Hello! I have my laptop running XP Pro SP2 and Outlook 2003 set up to access my Exchange account via RPC over HTTPS. I have a strong password required to get into the laptop, but I know if it gets stolen, someone can probably hack the password with a Linux disk. Is there any way to password-protect my Exchange profile on the laptop so that a password must be entered to see the contents of the Exchange account? Thanks for the help! Gregg Hill There is no foolproof way to avoid a cunning cracker from accessing your notebook/contents. The best way to avoid this is to not use a compu...

Global Address Lists
Is there a way to share Global Address Lists between different forests? Here's the situation - I have a Win2K3 AD domain interconnected via an internal router to a different Win2K AD domain. Both domains are under separate forests. The first Exchange organization is Ex2K3 and the other is Ex5.5. All we want is to share the same Global Address List. I've seen some very expensive products by Microsoft of which I'm not interested. Are there any inexpensive implementations? Thanks, JK "JK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way...

manage add-ons
when i turn on IE8 the manage add-ons windows automatically appears. how do i stop this happening Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start IE in No Add-ons mode: => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons). Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons)...

Can't shut down
Have a new Dell. Running Windows XP. Outlook (not Express) came with it. Can;t seem to shut down properly. When I do, I get an error message saying Outlook is not responding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Run "Detect and Repair" from under the help menu in Outlook. "Alan" <alan@bravermaninc.com> wrote in message news:864f01c35ade$3f7508e0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Have a new Dell. Running Windows XP. Outlook (not > Express) came with it. Can;t seem to shut down > properly. When I do, I get an error message saying > Outlook is not respo...

can I convert publisher files to quark express?
My daughter created a newsletter in MS Publisher and needs to have it in Quark Express. Is there a converter than will allow her to accomplish this? Hi DanM (DanM@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || My daughter created a newsletter in MS Publisher and needs to have || it in Quark Express. Is there a converter than will allow her to || accomplish this? No there is not. You can try to copy/paste between the two. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, an...

WMP can't figure out song length
I'm trying to burn a CD, the last song is 2:58 and there's 8:11 remaining on the disc. But WMP won't burn it, because it "cannot detect the length of the file". It was a longer cut - over 11:00 - but I cut out the dead time and some junk at the end in Wavepad, and now WMP is all confused. When I first clicked on Properties, it had the correct 2:58 listed (but somehow still couldn't detect the length). The error message said to play the song - that might help WMP figure it out. I did, and now Properties shows the length as 0:00. What can I do to get ...

How can i set default headers and footers?
I am trying to to set to default the headers and footers on all excel sheets to try and save time having to set them up everytime i start a new sheet. How can i do this? Create a workbook that has everything you want to have in each future new workbook. Then save it as "BOOK" to your XLSTART folder, changing the file type to Template (Excel will assign the XLT extension). To have each new inserted worksheet customized create a single sheet workbook and save it as above but with the name SHEET. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Mr P Lamphee" <Mr P Lamphee@discussions.micr...

Business Contact Manager #19
I have installed Office 2003 and Business Contact Manager, but BCM is not starting with Outlook. I have the same product installed in my laptop, which runs Windows XP Home, and it is working fine. It even shows a Menu for BCM. The desktop runs windows XP professional and it is using Exchange Server 5.5 Thanks Try her: http://www.slipstick.com/bcm/bcmfaq.aspx "Lucio" <lucioaurelio@msn.com> wrote in message news:61ca01c3e5db$efec1190$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have installed Office 2003 and Business Contact Manager, > but BCM is not starting with Outlook. I have the ...

can't open this item. Outlook has already begun transmitting this item.
Trying to send an Email with a 9meg attachment. Didn't send, but If I try to delete it nothing happens and when I try to open it I get a "can't open this item. Outlook has already begun transmitting this item." This has been going on for days and everytime I send/recieve my system hangs trying to send. bruceartman (at) cableaz.com ...

Users Listed in the Managed by Box Are Unable to Manage Groups
Hi, I have multi-domain AD 2000 forest in our organization. Most of DC controllers are Windows 2003 . Our Exchange 2003 server is in the same site as one of Global Catalog servers. Any user including Domain Admins or Enterprise Admins can't change membership of Universal Distribution Groups in Outlook 2002 or 2003. I tried Microsoft knowledgebase articles : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281489/EN-US/ and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319206 but it doesn't help. What can be the problem ? Alex Tager IT admin Eh? Did you follow those articles corre...