Manager can update membership list check box - Distribution Groups

Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active Directory
Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager can
update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab)
appears?

So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server, but
that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their
desktops.

Thanks,
Mindy
0
Mindy (50)

Mindy:
    ADUC is probably overkill for just managing distribution group
memberships.  Can the manager just manage them through Outlook by selecting
the properties of the distribution group in the GAL?

--
Jim McBee
Blog:     http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

"Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active
> Directory
> Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager
> can
> update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab)
> appears?
>
> So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server, but
> that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their
> desktops.
>
> Thanks,
> Mindy

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
6/10/2005 8:22:00 PM
You can do that as well.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Jim McBee (MVP)" <jmcbee@cta.spambegone.net> wrote in message
> Mindy:
>     ADUC is probably overkill for just managing distribution group
> memberships.  Can the manager just manage them through Outlook by
selecting
> the properties of the distribution group in the GAL?
>
> --
> Jim McBee
> Blog:     http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
> Stuff:    http://geekbargains.blogspot.com
> Web:    http://www.somorita.com
>

> "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active
> > Directory
> > Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager
> > can
> > update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab)
> > appears?
> >
> > So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server,
but
> > that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their
> > desktops.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mindy

0
Phillip
6/13/2005 2:02:18 PM
Sorry for the delay, I was having trouble accessing this web site.

This is not for the end users, they can use Outlook to modify group
memberships.

This is for the people who are doing Exchange Administration and giving
rights to manage distribution lists.

We want them to use ADUC, but not to have to remote onto the server for this.

For some reason, ADUC on the workstation does not include the 'Manager can
update membership list check box' (at least on my workstation). Yes, I have
the E2K3 admin tools installed; but I do see it when I remote into an
Exchange server.

Thanks,
Mindy

"Jim McBee (MVP)" wrote:

> Mindy:
>     ADUC is probably overkill for just managing distribution group
> memberships.  Can the manager just manage them through Outlook by selecting
> the properties of the distribution group in the GAL?
>
> --
> Jim McBee
> Blog:     http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
> Stuff:    http://geekbargains.blogspot.com
> Web:    http://www.somorita.com
>

> "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active
> > Directory
> > Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager
> > can
> > update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab)
> > appears?
> >
> > So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server, but
> > that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their
> > desktops.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mindy

0
Mindy (50)
6/14/2005 4:56:11 PM
I would really appreciate an answer here, this is important.

Thanks,
Mindy

"Mindy" wrote:

> Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active Directory
> Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager can
> update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab)
> appears?
>
> So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server, but
> that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their
> desktops.
>
> Thanks,
> Mindy
0
Mindy (50)
6/17/2005 5:39:04 PM
I believe you'd need to install the ESM on the workstations...

> I would really appreciate an answer here, this is important.
>
> Thanks,
> Mindy
>
> "Mindy" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active
Directory
> > Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager
can
> > update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab)
> > appears?
> >
> > So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server,
but
> > that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their
> > desktops.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mindy

0
sconkey (3059)
6/17/2005 5:51:05 PM
Well, I installed it on my workstation from an E2k3 build and it's not
working - that's what I thought too.

Mindy

"Susan" wrote:

> I believe you'd need to install the ESM on the workstations...
>
> "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would really appreciate an answer here, this is important.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mindy
> >
> > "Mindy" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I'm working with W2K3 and E2K3. Is there a way to setup 'Active
> Directory
> > > Users and Computers' on a workstation so that the check box for 'Manager
> can
> > > update membership list check box' (Distribution Group, Managed by tab)
> > > appears?
> > >
> > > So far I can only make that work by remoting into an Exchange server,
> but
> > > that won't work for administrators, we need them to do this from their
> > > desktops.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mindy

0
Mindy (50)
6/17/2005 8:10:32 PM
and you have the necessary Exchange permissions?

> Well, I installed it on my workstation from an E2k3 build and it's not
> working - that's what I thought too.
>
> Mindy
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > I believe you'd need to install the ESM on the workstations...
> >
> > "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I would really appreciate an answer here, this is important.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mindy

> > Directory
> > can

> > but

0
sconkey (3059)
6/17/2005 8:45:09 PM
Sorry, didn't get the usual email notification for your reply.

Yes, I am a full Exchange administrator. I can remotely log onto the server
and see the check box.

Mindy

"Susan" wrote:

> and you have the necessary Exchange permissions?
>
> "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I installed it on my workstation from an E2k3 build and it's not
> > working - that's what I thought too.
> >
> > Mindy
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> > > I believe you'd need to install the ESM on the workstations...
> > >
> > > "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Directory
> 'Manager
> > > can
> tab)

> server,
> > > but
> their

0
Mindy (50)
6/22/2005 5:09:04 PM
don't know, then...I have ESM on my workstation, and it shows up and works
fine...

> Sorry, didn't get the usual email notification for your reply.
>
> Yes, I am a full Exchange administrator. I can remotely log onto the
server
> and see the check box.
>
> Mindy
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > and you have the necessary Exchange permissions?
> >
> > "Mindy" <Mindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Well, I installed it on my workstation from an E2k3 build and it's not
> > > working - that's what I thought too.
> > >
> > > Mindy

> > 'Manager
> > tab)

> > server,
> > their

0
sconkey (3059)

I need a Excel template for property management
I own three rental properties and I'm looking for a simple template for Excel that will allow me to merely track expenses and income. The simpler the better. this might help. Or, ask someone for custom programming. http://tinyurl.com/6svu2 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B845B7C4-0DAA-40A3-880A-FD0A6F298AFD@microsoft.com... > I own three rental properties and I'm looking for a simple template for Excel > that will allow me to merely track expenses and income. The simpler the >...

List first letter upper case
Column B in a spreadsheet has a single word in each cell. Some words begin with an upper case letter, others with a lower case letter. Can someone please tell me a simple way to extract a list of those rows where the word in column B begins with an upper case letter? Enter this in, say, F2: =EXACT(LEFT(B2,1),UPPER(LEFT(B2,1))) Then select column B, use Data/Filter/Advanced filter. Enter F1:F2 in the Criteria range, then click OK. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Bob Frolek" <BobFrolek@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1124215185.498946.49840@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Colum...

Risk management
Hi. I have searched wide and high for a risk management spread sheet to calulate a budget using the principles "proactive management". Anyone with a sugestione? Thanks. Ole ...

Re: How can I edit the GAL?
Check - "IMI GAL Modify" - ttp://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/imigm.htm - we use it from few years... "Frusturat$d" <Frusturatd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47579443-D2BA-4B62-AD45-EAB7889154A2@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to give a user (say in HR or Admin) rights to the GAL so > that > they can update employee phone numbers and locations? ...

Can individual words in a sentence be animated in powerpoint?
I am trying to highlight some individual words within a paragraph. I'd like to give them some animation and not the whole sentence. On 6/4/10 1:08 PM, consultkjb wrote: > I am trying to highlight some individual words within a paragraph. I'd like > to give them some animation and not the whole sentence. I think you can only do that if they are in a separate text box. --David -- David M. Marcovitz Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Associate Professor, Loyola University Maryland Author of _Powerful PowerPoint for Educators_ http://www.PowerfulPowerPoint.com/ ...

Help! Why can't I log on????
I am receiving my email on my Blackberry but, not on my home computer. Ever since last night I keep getting this message: Account: 'pop.charter.net', Server: 'pop.charter.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid user name or password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You! First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail: http://www.charter.net/files/charter/redirect.php?to=webmail If that works, it proves you have the correct...

unable to install Office updates KB980729 and KB981715
I have been unable to install the updates for Office 2007 offered on 4-13-2010; KB980729 and KB981715. I keep getting error 646. When that happens, I download the update manually and install it that way. Here are links to the updates: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980729 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981715 In each case, scroll down to the "Download the update package now" link. -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word Bible Blog: http://word.herbtyson.com Web: http://www.herbtyson.com "themac" <themac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

OL2K can't kill Personal Folders...?
Howdy, I can't seem to remove a set of Personal Folders from the folder tree in OL2K SP3. Here's the situation: I travel with a notebook. I run OL on it. After a few days, I copied its (new, and thus very small) PST file to my desktop system. I added the new PST in Tools | Services so that at that point I had two sets of Personal Folders displayed in the tree. I then copied messages from the small PST to the larger PST that my desktop ordinarily uses. When that was done, I went back into Tools | Services to remove the PST that I no longer needed. With that completed, I was surpri...

can't open an Excel 97 file
Hi all, We have a 2 MB Excel 97 file that suddenly sent an error message when trying to open it: "imposible leer archivo" (that is "impossible to open file") We do not have a backup copy of the file, do you any way to recover the information saved on that file? Thanks, Betty This has been multiposted. "Betty" <no@quiero.spam> wrote in message news:%23fwNqxksFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > We have a 2 MB Excel 97 file that > suddenly sent an error message when > trying to open it: > "imposible leer archivo" (th...

How many graphs can I have in excel?
Have heard rumours that there is a maximum no of graphs that can be in an Excel workbook. What is that number. I currently have 126 and am looking to increase, but don't want to lose everything in the process. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Elmtailye - According to Microsoft, the limit for Excel 97 is 124, or 248 if you turn off font autoscaling in all of your charts. Excel 2000 (and probably later) have a similar problem, but they don't ...

Managed Newsgroup access denied
I am unable to access the managed newsgroups since they changed the secure code last week. I have followed the instructions to reregister but I still get the error 'access denied'. Any idea what could be causing this? They have answered one of my questions from last week but I've been unable to get in to see it. Thanks for any help. Tracey D Tracey, email me with your registered GP company name so I can verify, and I will escalate this for you. -Mike -- Micheal LoPatriello Coordinator, Luna Development mlopat@lunadevelopment.com http://www.lunadevelopment.com "T...

Office Smart Tag Manager
Good afternoon, I have the following error with Office Smart Tag Manager for Great Plains: Error: Database Connection Problem Possible causes include: This user accounts is not a member of any smart tag groups Bad connection information SQL Server is not running No smart Tag groups configured Please verify and try again. Which the procedure is to solve this error? I already erased all tables and store procedures of database Dynamics already Uninstall the product and I installed it again and the problem persists. that I make? ...

File Cache Manager With SRAM in WINCE 6.0
Hi, I m developing a back-up utility which automatically backs up the transaction data to a permanent storage (NOR flash). Transaction data will be triggered very frequently and existing transaction data files may be modified frequently. Therefore I need a RAM based cache file system along with a permanent storage. My questions are, 1. I m trying to use File Cache Manager to accomplish it. Is this a correct solution? 2. If YES, how can i use my SRAM (not the SDRAM) to store the cached files? (In case of a power fluctuation, SRAM is more reliable than SDRAM, therefore we sele...

Integration Manager Greyed Out
What would cause "Integration Manager" (Tools >> Integrate) to be grayed out, but "Run Integration" is available. My guess is a security setting, but I can't find it. What version of GP are you using? I've seen situations where Int Mgr was not available from the menu and I had to put it on the shortcut bar. You can also check dex.ini and verify the line exists: IMPath=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions\Integration Manager\IM.EXE IMExecPath=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions\Integration Manager\IMRun.EXE "Jed Perlowin"...

Can't undo a scheduled bill in the budget
In Money 2004, I have a category that used to have a scheduled bill. I've since changed the bill amount and category using the "bills" section. But the bill still shows up in the budget: old amount, old category. So my budget is skewed by exactly the amount of this old bill. Trouble is, I can't find the old bill anywhere else to delete it. If I edit the category in the budget, money doesn't show the monthly charge. If I go to bills, this old bill doesn't show up, so there's nothing to delete. Puzzled and frustrated. Anyone see this before and have ...

How can I secure Outlook when using RPC over HTTP?
Hello! I have my laptop running XP Pro SP2 and Outlook 2003 set up to access my Exchange account via RPC over HTTPS. I have a strong password required to get into the laptop, but I know if it gets stolen, someone can probably hack the password with a Linux disk. Is there any way to password-protect my Exchange profile on the laptop so that a password must be entered to see the contents of the Exchange account? Thanks for the help! Gregg Hill There is no foolproof way to avoid a cunning cracker from accessing your notebook/contents. The best way to avoid this is to not use a compu...

Global Address Lists
Is there a way to share Global Address Lists between different forests? Here's the situation - I have a Win2K3 AD domain interconnected via an internal router to a different Win2K AD domain. Both domains are under separate forests. The first Exchange organization is Ex2K3 and the other is Ex5.5. All we want is to share the same Global Address List. I've seen some very expensive products by Microsoft of which I'm not interested. Are there any inexpensive implementations? Thanks, JK "JK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way...

manage add-ons
when i turn on IE8 the manage add-ons windows automatically appears. how do i stop this happening Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start IE in No Add-ons mode: => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons). Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons)...

Can't shut down
Have a new Dell. Running Windows XP. Outlook (not Express) came with it. Can;t seem to shut down properly. When I do, I get an error message saying Outlook is not responding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Run "Detect and Repair" from under the help menu in Outlook. "Alan" <alan@bravermaninc.com> wrote in message news:864f01c35ade$3f7508e0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Have a new Dell. Running Windows XP. Outlook (not > Express) came with it. Can;t seem to shut down > properly. When I do, I get an error message saying > Outlook is not respo...

can I convert publisher files to quark express?
My daughter created a newsletter in MS Publisher and needs to have it in Quark Express. Is there a converter than will allow her to accomplish this? Hi DanM (DanM@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || My daughter created a newsletter in MS Publisher and needs to have || it in Quark Express. Is there a converter than will allow her to || accomplish this? No there is not. You can try to copy/paste between the two. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, an...

Get rid of sercurity box
How can I get rid of security dialog which comes up when I open a XLS file with macros? Thx YuriW Hi Yuri If you trust all your workbooks then change security to low Tools>Macro..Security You can always open a workbook without activating the macro's by holding the shift key when you open a workbook in Excel -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Yuri Weinstein (HotMail)" <yuriw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2ukse.2766$NU5.1258@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com... > How can I get rid of security dialog which comes up when I open a XLS file with ma...

WMP can't figure out song length
I'm trying to burn a CD, the last song is 2:58 and there's 8:11 remaining on the disc. But WMP won't burn it, because it "cannot detect the length of the file". It was a longer cut - over 11:00 - but I cut out the dead time and some junk at the end in Wavepad, and now WMP is all confused. When I first clicked on Properties, it had the correct 2:58 listed (but somehow still couldn't detect the length). The error message said to play the song - that might help WMP figure it out. I did, and now Properties shows the length as 0:00. What can I do to get ...

How can i set default headers and footers?
I am trying to to set to default the headers and footers on all excel sheets to try and save time having to set them up everytime i start a new sheet. How can i do this? Create a workbook that has everything you want to have in each future new workbook. Then save it as "BOOK" to your XLSTART folder, changing the file type to Template (Excel will assign the XLT extension). To have each new inserted worksheet customized create a single sheet workbook and save it as above but with the name SHEET. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Mr P Lamphee" <Mr P Lamphee@discussions.micr...

Business Contact Manager #19
I have installed Office 2003 and Business Contact Manager, but BCM is not starting with Outlook. I have the same product installed in my laptop, which runs Windows XP Home, and it is working fine. It even shows a Menu for BCM. The desktop runs windows XP professional and it is using Exchange Server 5.5 Thanks Try her: http://www.slipstick.com/bcm/bcmfaq.aspx "Lucio" <lucioaurelio@msn.com> wrote in message news:61ca01c3e5db$efec1190$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have installed Office 2003 and Business Contact Manager, > but BCM is not starting with Outlook. I have the ...

can't open this item. Outlook has already begun transmitting this item.
Trying to send an Email with a 9meg attachment. Didn't send, but If I try to delete it nothing happens and when I try to open it I get a "can't open this item. Outlook has already begun transmitting this item." This has been going on for days and everytime I send/recieve my system hangs trying to send. bruceartman (at) cableaz.com ...