Mailbox permissions in bulk.

Hi

How can I set mailbox permissions in bulk ?

Earlier it was a tool called Setperm, but I don't think it function
well anymore together with E2K3 & Outlook 2003.

John

Hi John,

ADModify can be used to set mailbox rights in a limited way.

Download it from here and see if it does what you need:
http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/ADModify

Regards
--
Ben Hoffman
MCP (Win2003 Server,  Exchange 2003 Admin & Design)

<123@123.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> How can I set mailbox permissions in bulk ?
>
> Earlier it was a tool called Setperm, but I don't think it function
> well anymore together with E2K3 & Outlook 2003.
>
> John

0
ben.hoffman (411)
10/12/2005 11:36:48 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for posting here!

Thanks for Ben's experience sharing. I agree with Ben that ADModify can
help us bulk change multiple users' attributes including mailbox
permissions efficiently. You can click "ADModify.NET 2.1 Initial Release"
to download it by visiting the following link:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/releases/viewuploads.aspx?id=f5cbbfa9-e4
6b-4a7a-8ed8-3e44523f32e2

Warning: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web
site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use
of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make
sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
from the Internet.

For your convenience, I have listed the general steps as below:

1. Please download ADModify.zip and extract to your local disk. Note:
ADModify requires the .NET Framework
2. Start ADModify.exe.
3. Select Modify Attributes.
4. Click the drop down list to select the domain. Once the domain is
selected, choose a Domain controller.

5. Once you have chosen a domain and a DC, select Users next to "Show
only", select "Advanced features" and click the green arrow button. This
will populate the Domain Tree List with a hierarchy of your domain.

6. Click on the domain object and then expand by clicking the plus sign.
Here you will be able to browse your domain much like the Active Directory
Users and Computers interface.

7. Now you need to add users to the modify list. The easiest way to do this
is by highlighting the Users container and clicking "Add to List".
8. Click Select All and click Next.
9. On the Mailbox Rights tab, set the permissions as you want.
10. Click Go button and this will bulk the users' storage limit settings.

For additional information, please refer to ADModify2.1.chm included in the
ADModiy Zip file.

In case ADModify cannot help achieve your goal, I would appreciate if you
can describe what you want to do in more detail, so that I can have a more
concrete idea on the special requirement in your scenario and provide
further assistance. Thank you for your time.

I hope the information above is helpful.

Have a good day!

Thanks & regards,

Winfred Weng
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

v-wweng (19)

Permission on Sent Items
Hi Does anyone know how to set reviewer permissions on the sent items folder only, when i try and set it and go to open other users folder it doesnt display sent items. This is between two users over an exchange network. Thanks How are you trying to open the folder and what exactly happens when you try? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlo...

Bulk Import Campaign Response
Hello, I try to import Campaign response to CRM with attribute of customer, but the datatype of this feild is partylist. Anyone know what is the format for partylist in csv file? I know lookup type is "account,{uniqueidentifier key}". Anyone can help? so urgent....many thanks Hi Ray, I am afraid that the regular import will not able to import the party list. If you find a way to do it, please share with everyone. I usually wrote a simple asp.net program to import through the CRM web service. You can try to see if other 3rd party products will do that for you. Darren Liu, Micro...

*** New How-To Article Posted
I have hacked together a way to automate / script Exmerge. This allows you to backup all of your user mailboxes to .PST files. We use this as a free way to perform "brick level" backups. This is a type of backup where each mailbox is individually backed up. It makes it easy to setup a restore of an individual mailbox. When using this hack, plus performing backups with NTBackup, you can perform full exchange backups without 3rd party backup software. This should save $$$ in many small organizations. http://www.castellan.net/exmerge_automation.html ...

Appropriate permission for Send/Receive
Hi, I have been using Terminal Server 2003 for some time and users are able to check their email in a session. All of a sudden today, they can still connect OK and run all the normal programs but when they do a Send Receive in Outlook 2002, they get an error saying they "do not have appropriate permission to perform that operation". if I connect to the server, I can check mail OK in Outlook. The main difference is I have Administrator rights on the server. I tried giving one of the users the same rights but she still gets the error message. Any idea what may have changed to result ...

Can't open file: check permissions on the folder
I have a csv file that I open every morning but do not save to the computer. each day that I open it it adds a numerical addition to the name. (i.e. invfile1, invfile 2 etc.). when it gets to 100, I can no longer open the file. what can I do to fix this Clear the Temporary Internet Files folder. This will clear the OLK** folder as well. To manually clear the OLK** folder you'll have to open the Temporary Internet Files folder from a command prompt. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 ...

Cannot Change Mailbox Size
I'm working on a Small Business 2003 server and have run into a problem. One user is above their mailbox size limit and I'd like to change the limit. I have changed the individual user's limit by taking the unchecking the limit in the user properties. I have also done the same thing in Exchange Server Management When I look at the Storage Limits in ESM it says "No Checking" but the user still cannot send/receive email. Can anyone help? Thanks Todd On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:10:02 -0700, Todd J <Todd J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm working o...

Rules in Error
I have a number of rules in place to reduce spam by permanently deleting certain messages upon their arrival based on content. But every day the "Rules in Error" window pops up with the message "You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation" and the applicable rule is deactivated from that point on. This seems to occur randomly for no particular reason. If I subsequently run the rule manually, the messages are then deleted. Is there a way to stop this? ...

can not reply to mail from administrator's shared mailbox
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C4F97A.C2EB1890 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable hello people! we've recently had server2k3 sbs installed mostly running absolutely = fine, few little teething troubles this being one of them; i'm not sure = if its by design or there's a setting needing a tweak somewhere for it.=20 the problem is i have my own mailbox aswell as being our business' = administrator so i view all the mis-sent mail and various server reports = from the adm...

Address List Permissions
I am doing some testing on restricting address lists viewing for particular users. I have followed the procedure in article Q319213 to take off the inheritance from above. I have then changed the permissions and eventually managed to remove the list from viewing within the client. I did have to remove some accounts due to the initial tests failing ie. just removing the read permission from the account. I have now reversed all those changes and the client can still not see the address list. The error is "The bookmark is not valid" I have asked someone else to check th...

Send Email Permissions
We are trying to send emails to a group of contacts using the IE client. We are going to tools, advanced find to define a group of contacts. Then we choose actions, send direct email. When we choose a template and try to complete the activity, we get a message saying that the user doesn't have permission for this action. Our administrative users can perform this action, but the Salesperson and Customer Service Users are not able to complete the action. We have perused the security role settings but are unable to figure out which one is affecting this. Any ideas? Hi Greg, I...

Do folder permissions transfer over FTP?
If I am uploading a folder to a website where the administrator user and Internet Guest Account have certain permissions allowed, will those stay the same after uploading them to a different server by FTP. I am actually interested in "resetting" the permissions to whatever the default permissions would be for a standard website. I'm already uploading right now but there are a lot of files so its taking a long time. "Robbie" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uA6%23tU7ZKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > If I am uploading a folder to a ...

Duplicate mailbox's with different languages
We recently setup new exchange 2003 servers for our organisation, however during setup we activated all mailboxes with English mailbox settings. Now we have outlook clients with mailbox settings in English & Swedish.We have set the system to create in Swedish now. How to change the settings back to Swedish for those boxes taht have already been created? See the article: 325625 XGEN: How Special Folder Names Are Assigned for Multiple Language http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325625 With Outlook 2002 and 2003, you can run outlook.exe with the /resetfoldernames switch to reset the f...

permission to execute workflow
I have a user who wants to run a manual rule on a Lead. He has the Process & Process Instance set to Read: BU level. He also has all permissions for BU level on Lead, Activity, Account & Contact - yet CRM still says he can't run this rule. The rule is simple - if there is no phone number in the Lead, send this email. What am I missing? I have spent all day testing permissions and can't seem to uncover it. Thanks in advance! Melissa is the person who created the rule in this users business unit? Who created the original rule? ============================== John...

Outlook 2003
I am using Outlook 2003 on Exchange and would like to grant permissions to about 25 folders in my Mailbox. Will I need to change the property settings for each folder or is there a more efficient method? If the latter, are there any other suggestions on how to provide access? You would have to set the permissions on each folder. Be advised however that if you create a new folder, sets its permissions, any new subfolder under said "new folder" will inherit permissions*. /neo * tested by creating new folders. not sure how this would play out in regards to moving existing ...

New Server Bulk Upload for DPM
My client has DPM in a branch office and is connected over the Internet. In the coming weeks I'm going to upgrade the servers which DPM is protecting. My concern is with the initial creation of the protection groups for these new servers and not having the bandwidth between sites to simply allow DPM to run to get the initial protection jobs complete. How can I perform a manual "bulk upload" of initial server data for these servers? My thought is to run a backup job locally on the servers to a USB hard drive. Ship the hard drive to the remote branch and upload t...

Exchange Server hang after backing up mailboxes #2
We have an issue where whenever we backup mailboxes on our SBS 2003 server, Exchange starts to hang and outlook freezes on the users. The server itself is ok, but we have to restart the server to get exchange back. Its only backing up the mailboxes that causes the issue, backing up the information store itself doesnt cause the problem. It doesnt hang when you only select a portion of the mailboxes as well and back those up, only when you back them all up, so it doesnt look like its a specific mailbox either Were using Veritas 9.1 to backup. Any ideas Thanks Andy ...

Some serious Public Folder permission problems
Hello all, Apologies if this has been posted and corrected before. I found this news group via Google and have read a lot of peoples posts with similar symptoms but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for. Here we go: In Exchange Service Manager -> Servers -> MYSERVER -> -> First Storage Group -> Public Folder Store -> Public Folder Instances When I right-click on a Folder and select Properties, I come across the following error: The specified directory service attribute or value does not exist. Facility: Win32 ID no: 8007200a Exchange System Manager Now, I...

Use 2 or consolidate in 1 mailbox server
Currently I have roughly 2,700 mailboxes. About 1,350 distributed onto two Exch 2000 mailbox servers, 2 CPU. Would it be a good idea consolidate this on 4 Proc, single Exch 2003 Server ? Estimated growth is roughly 15% of mailbox for the next three years. If I go with one single mailbox, I think I could save money and use the hardware to buy an identical server to do cluster. ...

Mailbox Manager activation
Hi All I have set up Mailbox Manager on my Exch. 5.5 server to get a report every day at 5 PM. I was never able to get a report. Why? Should I perhaps stop and start the Exchange services to activate Mailbox Manager? Thank you! theo This is the discussion for Exchange 2003 >-----Original Message----- >Hi All > >I have set up Mailbox Manager on my Exch. 5.5 server to get a report every >day at 5 PM. I was never able to get a report. Why? Should I perhaps stop >and start the Exchange services to activate Mailbox Manager? > >Thank you! > >theo > >...

sending bulk mail
I want to hide others email when i send a bulk mailing. How can i do that/ BCC or mail merge. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, Lbliss asked: | I want to hide others email when i send a bulk mailing. How can i do | that/ ...

How to split up bulk text??????
Hi everyone, i'm really stuck with this one.... I have recently been charged with exporting data from my companies ACT! database and putting into excel ready to go into our new CRM package. I used an ACT! exporter that has left me a spreadsheet with data that I cant use yet. The notes for a particular contact are not split up into different cells as they should be, rather they are all put into one cell with the dates in as such- 23/11/2000 quick brown fox jumped over the blah blah 24/11/2004 quick brown fox jumped over the blah blah 26/04/2005 quick brown fox jumped over the blah blah...

Failing to forward or reply to emails in a shared mailbox
We have multiple mailboxes on our Exchange 2003 server that are manned by numerous people (departments.) We give the necessary users "full mailbox access" to the appropriate accounts, and then configure their Outlook 2003 client to prompt them as to which mailbox they want to go into. Recently we have had (what appears to be) random problems with some users not being able to either reply or foward an email in one of these shared mailboxes (not one box in particular or one user in particluar.) They can send a new message though, and paste the info that was in the reply or fo...

Permissions #10
I would like to install the Exchange 2003 Administrator on a helpdesk persons notebook so he can create new accounts in AD and assign them a mailbox. What Exchange permissions do I need to assign the helpdesk user? They are already server and account operators. I do not want to them to be able to do anything in Exchange except to create accounts. I would prefer they cannot delete accounts if possible. Thanks, Scott Hi, With exchange view only administrator permissions they should be able to create mailboxes. Leif "stosti" <stosti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

GRANT Role Permissions
Hi I am using SQL 2005 Mgmt Studio. I am trying to use this syntax (on the bottom) to grant Role Membership to each Login user. How I should go about applying it ? For instance, if I want to grant - LoginID: corp\abc - Database: Sale - Role Membership: db_datareader, analyst_reader -------------------- Syntax starts --------------------------------------- GRANT permission [ ,...n ] ON { [ USER :: database_user ] | [ ROLE :: database_role ] | [ APPLICATION ROLE :: application_role ] } TO <database_principal> [ ,...n ] ...

Can't Mount Mailbox Stores
Getting an Error when I Try to mount the Mailbox Stores. Event Type: Error Event Source: ESE Event Category: Logging/Recovery Event ID: 517 Date: 4/19/2007 Time: 11:25:50 AM User: N/A Computer: {Computer Name} Description: Information Store (3256) #####: Database recovery failed with error -551 because it encountered references to a database, 'Mailbox Store Path, which does not match the current set of logs. The database engine will not permit recovery to complete for this instance until the mismatching database is re-instated. If the database is truly no longer available or no lo...