Mailbox name does not resolve?

I have added all users in the company to the exchange server with no issue except one user.
I am using Exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 on all desktops.
In outlook I enter the server name and mail box name in both full name and alias form and neither
will resolve.  The machine connects through file sharing to the exchange box with no problem.
I have deleted the box and readded it and it still does not work.

0
David

David Lewis <*@*.*> wrote in

> I have added all users in the company to the exchange server with no
> issue except one user. I am using Exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 on
> all desktops. In outlook I enter the server name and mail box name in
> both full name and alias form and neither will resolve.  The machine
> connects through file sharing to the exchange box with no problem. I
> have deleted the box and readded it and it still does not work.

Sounds like Exchange is unable to determine if the user is in the GAL.
Check the user object to make sure it has an associated mailbox (Exchange
General Tab) and an email address.
If not, you can add a mailbox to the user by right clicking it and choosing
Exchange Tasks.

--
Thanks,
Chasy

http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
0
chasy (32)
7/29/2004 11:12:41 PM
I deleted the mail box and recreated it again and it does not show up in the
AD > Email Address tab.  All other users were created successfully by right clicking
and choosing exchange tasks.

How do I look at the GAL?

Chasy <chasy@online.microsoft.com>
|>David Lewis <*@*.*> wrote in
|>
|>> I have added all users in the company to the exchange server with no
|>> issue except one user. I am using Exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 on
|>> all desktops. In outlook I enter the server name and mail box name in
|>> both full name and alias form and neither will resolve.  The machine
|>> connects through file sharing to the exchange box with no problem. I
|>> have deleted the box and readded it and it still does not work.
|>>

|>Sounds like Exchange is unable to determine if the user is in the GAL.
|>Check the user object to make sure it has an associated mailbox (Exchange
|>General Tab) and an email address.
|>If not, you can add a mailbox to the user by right clicking it and choosing
|>Exchange Tasks.

0
David
8/2/2004 9:57:56 PM
David Lewis <*@*.*> wrote in

> I deleted the mail box and recreated it again and it does not show up
> in the AD > Email Address tab.  All other users were created
> successfully by right clicking and choosing exchange tasks.
>
> How do I look at the GAL?
>
> Chasy <chasy@online.microsoft.com>
>|>David Lewis <*@*.*> wrote in

>|>Sounds like Exchange is unable to determine if the user is in the
>|>GAL.  Check the user object to make sure it has an associated mailbox
>|>(Exchange General Tab) and an email address.
>|>If not, you can add a mailbox to the user by right clicking it and
>|>choosing Exchange Tasks.

Not sure what would make this particular user behave like this, but
let's try to get to the bottom of this.

I'm not really clear on what you mean by "does not show up in the AD >
Email Address tab"  could you explain it to me?

Is there anything peculiar about the user account?

Has it been migrated from a 5.5 environment?
Does the Exchange General Tab appear on the user properties?  If so,
does it have an mailbox database?
Is the user getting an email address (RUS stamping)?
Is the user hidden from the address list (check the Exchange Advanced
Tab)?

--
Thanks,
Chasy

rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
0
chasy (32)
8/3/2004 9:34:12 PM
a 2000 AD was migrated to 2003

This is the organizations first exchange server, so no exchange migration

In outlook > E-Mail Accounts > Exchange Server Settings I type in the MS Exchange Server name
Then I type in the User's Name and click Check Name.  It does not resolve.  I try both their user account
and their full name   IE  bsmith & Bob Smith

The 2 accounts that have not worked are the company president and VP

Both are regular domain users, not admins.

In AD > User Properties.  There is the normal Email Addresses, Exchange Features, Exchange General & Exchange Advanced
Tabs.  Under E-Mail Addresses nothing shows up.  Typically there is a SMTP and X400 entry.

I know it takes a little while for the E-mail addresses tab to be filled out, but its been a week.

For the VP I deleted his mail box 2 times and recreated it without results.  I ended up deleting his mail box and
windows account and recreating his windows account.  That finally worked.  But I would like to know why this happened.

No special settings have been set for users yet as this is a brand new exchange installation.  All I did was migrate the
2000 domain to 2003, install exchange, right click on all the users to create mail boxes.  Just 2 users did not work.

Chasy <chasy@online.microsoft.com>
|>Not sure what would make this particular user behave like this, but
|>let's try to get to the bottom of this.
|>
|>I'm not really clear on what you mean by "does not show up in the AD >
|>Email Address tab"  could you explain it to me?
|>
|>Is there anything peculiar about the user account?
|>
|>Has it been migrated from a 5.5 environment?
|>Does the Exchange General Tab appear on the user properties?  If so,
|>does it have an mailbox database?
|>Is the user getting an email address (RUS stamping)?
|>Is the user hidden from the address list (check the Exchange Advanced
|>Tab)?

0
David
8/4/2004 3:22:02 PM
David Lewis <*@*.*> wrote in

> a 2000 AD was migrated to 2003
>
> This is the organizations first exchange server, so no exchange
> migration
>
> In outlook > E-Mail Accounts > Exchange Server Settings I type in the
> MS Exchange Server name Then I type in the User's Name and click Check
> Name.  It does not resolve.  I try both their user account and their
> full name   IE  bsmith & Bob Smith
>
> The 2 accounts that have not worked are the company president and VP
>
> Both are regular domain users, not admins.
>
> In AD > User Properties.  There is the normal Email Addresses,
> Exchange Features, Exchange General & Exchange Advanced Tabs.  Under
> E-Mail Addresses nothing shows up.  Typically there is a SMTP and X400
> entry.
>
> I know it takes a little while for the E-mail addresses tab to be
> filled out, but its been a week.
>
> For the VP I deleted his mail box 2 times and recreated it without
> results.  I ended up deleting his mail box and windows account and
> recreating his windows account.  That finally worked.  But I would
> like to know why this happened.
>
> No special settings have been set for users yet as this is a brand new
> exchange installation.  All I did was migrate the 2000 domain to 2003,
> install exchange, right click on all the users to create mail boxes.
> Just 2 users did not work.
>
> Chasy <chasy@online.microsoft.com>
>|>Not sure what would make this particular user behave like this, but
>|>let's try to get to the bottom of this.
>|>
>|>I'm not really clear on what you mean by "does not show up in the AD
>|>
>|>Is there anything peculiar about the user account?
>|>
>|>Has it been migrated from a 5.5 environment?
>|>Does the Exchange General Tab appear on the user properties?  If so,
>|>does it have an mailbox database?
>|>Is the user getting an email address (RUS stamping)?
>|>Is the user hidden from the address list (check the Exchange Advanced
>|>Tab)?

Thank you for the detailed information on the problem.
It sounds too coincidental that the two users that exibit the problem
are the president and the VP.

My guess is they had some special settings in the W2k forest that
carried over or got tweaked when they moved to the W2k3 forest.  If the
setting wasn't permissions, it could be custom attributes on the user
object that is preventing the Recipient Update Service (RUS) from
updating the user.

Custom attributes on users is a little out of my area, so you'll
probably want to call PSS if you want to investigate that further.

However, there is one setting that I know of on the user that would
prevent the RUS from stamping the user.  Check the Email address tab of
the user and make sure that the "Automatically Update E-mail Addresses
based on recipient policy" checkbox is checked.

--
Thanks,
Chasy

rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
0
chasy (32)
8/4/2004 6:44:30 PM
Yes it is checked.

Well at least I know that deleting his account and recreating it will solve the problem.

Chasy <chasy@online.microsoft.com>
|>However, there is one setting that I know of on the user that would
|>prevent the RUS from stamping the user.  Check the Email address tab of
|>the user and make sure that the "Automatically Update E-mail Addresses
|>based on recipient policy" checkbox is checked.

0
David

COPY NAMED FORMULA
from a workbook I need to copy two workseets and associated named formulas to another workbook the sheets copy over fine using the normal method. However in the new workbook the named formulas refer back to the original workbook. How can I transfer the named formulas to the new workbook so it is self suporting? thanks Robert Try edit>links>change link -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Robert H" <robert.hatcher@l-3com.com> wrote in message news:98d7349c-4708-43c1-9b73-005c0d97ae5a@u10g2000vbd.googlegroups.com... > fro...

Creating a Mailbox
Hi all, Is it possible to create a mailbox within the Exchange System Manager, eg, info@companyname.com without having to create a user. Im currently using exchange 2003 TIA, James Not really. What is the problem? JD wrote: > Hi all, > > Is it possible to create a mailbox within the Exchange System Manager, eg, > info@companyname.com without having to create a user. > > Im currently using exchange 2003 > > TIA, > > James You cannot create a mailbox in Exchange 2003 without creating a user account associated with it. However, if you just want an SMTP ad...

User explicitly denied "Full Mailbox Access"
I have an administrator account "Mark" that is explicitly denied the Full Mailbox Access permission in "Mailbox Rights". I am able to grant other adminstrators access to the same mailbox, even domain users. It seem the user is inheriting the single Deny permission, but I can't see where from. The user who's mailbox I am trying to grant access to is the domain\users OU. Mark is automatically denied full mailbox access to all users, even if I turn off inheritance in the security tab. Help? Thanks everyone in advance. Is his account listed in the exchange deleg...

mailbox limitations
Can anyone point me to any info on the size limitations for mailboxes & PST files..? I believe that beyond 2 GB MS says you're in a danger zone. I need further info to support our e-mail deletion policy PSTs have a limit of 2GB (corruption may happen even after 1GB). Mailboxes, on the other hand can be in the GB (but I wouldn't recommend it from an administrative standpoint). -- Nick Cavalancia MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI nickc@remove-comsphere.com Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key" Web: http://www.comsphere.com Ph: 954.275.0114 Fax: 954.791.6763 "Mikeg"...

change organization name
My environment is Exchange 2003 Native mode. I have read about the LegacyDN.exe utility, but is there any way to change the organization name on a production server? Thanks ......why do you want to that? nobody gets to see/know your Exchange org name except sysadmins. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Jorge Azcuy" <JorgeAzcuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0246F8A-CCDD-4B7D-A1D7-18E8384D85D2@microsoft.com... > My environment is Exchange 2003 Native mode. I have read about the > LegacyDN.exe utility, but is there any...

mailbox split during mailbox move :(
If the mailbox move process dies in the middle of the mailbox and there is half of the mailbox on the new server and the other half on the old server. Is it possible to connect those two again? I had one of my mailboxes do this to me on my test domain and I ended up deleting (Purging) it since it wouldn't let me do anything with the part that was left on the source server. I am just wandering what if it would happen on my live server... do I have to bring the mailbox from .PST file or there is another way? Thank you in advance. On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:49:02 -0700, Volodymyr <vg@a...

Is there a fle associated with additional mailboxes?
Is there a fle associated with additional mailboxes? Is there a file that keeps track of additional mailboxes that I have access to and are displayed in my outlook folder list? I want to know for migration reasons. Once migrated will I have to add the mailboxes again or is there a file that can be copied or even a utility that will make sure I do not lose any. I only have a few, but some of my co-workers are connected to as many as 15-20 I believe. Thanks for any help They are part of the profile and stored in the registry. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/mru.htm - I don't rec...

Read Only access to mailbox?
I know that in Active Directory you can grant someon 'Full mailbox access' to another person's mailbox. Can you give Read Only access to another person's mailbox in AD, or do you have to do that through Outlook permissions with delegates or folder permissions? Thanks. On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:00:04 -0700, SilverICE <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know that in Active Directory you can grant someon 'Full mailbox access' to >another person's mailbox. Can you give Read Only access to another person's >mailbox in AD, or do you h...

[OT] 1GB mailbox
i have find this site that offer 1 gb of space!! http://www.walla.com/ it's wonderful! "MMC" <ryuken_26@yahoo.it> said > i have find this site that offer 1 gb of space!! > > http://www.walla.com/ > > it's wonderful! > > No thanks. Since installing my SAN I now have a 10TB mailbox to play with. Andrew Mitchell <amitchell@removecasey.vic.gov.au> wrote in news:Xns95C7E0C461A29casey01@207.46.248.16: > No thanks. > Since installing my SAN I now have a 10TB mailbox to play with. Nice X-face! -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ...

Mailbox Access
I use Veritas Backup Exec to performa backups of our information stores and user mailboxes. During the course of the backups I get warnings from some mailboxes about e-mails that are corrupt. My question is, how do I get to the e-mail/mailbox level to find out what is wrong with the particular message and if need be, eliminate them? Thanks you. http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm Bill Van Loon wrote: > I use Veritas Backup Exec to performa backups of our information stores and > user mailboxes. During the course of the backups I get warnings from some > mailboxes about e-...

OWA 2003, Display Names, Punctuation or Dashes
Hi, I just wanted to share what may be a bug or issue in OWA 2003 (or maybe it is designed this way?) as well as a workaround. I don't need a response since the workaround solved our problem, but I couldn't find it in the knowledge base. In our agency we have always labeled our resources (e.g. conference rooms) with AAS- in front (e.g. AAS-Large Conference Room) so they sort below the most important Distribution Lists but above the individual staff (this scheme was designed by one of the executives, no comment). Anyhow, so we upgraded to Exchange 2003 and started trying to vi...

cannot delete mailbox in 5.5
when i try to delete a mailbox i get the following error: "failure to delete mailbox" event id is 1203. it suggests to stop and re-start the services, but that does not correct the issue. any suggestion on how to remove the mailbox that is not needed? thx.. Any help from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;178757 tim wrote: > when i try to delete a mailbox i get the following error: "failure to delete > mailbox" event id is 1203. it suggests to stop and re-start the services, but > that does not correct the issue. any suggestion on how ...

Generating consecutive file names when printing statements to PDF
Hi I was wondering if some one could help me with this. We have been using RMS 1.3 r1 and latest hotfix for 1 year now. When we close our monthly billing period using Close Billing Cycle we print statements using the Adobe PDF Printer 7.0 which generates PDF files so that we can email them to the clients. Currently we have to name each and every file during the PDF generation process with a unique name so that it doesn't overwrite the one printed before.... with 200 - 300 statements this can get tedious. IS there a way to make it automatically generate consecutive names: document ...

Granting Admins full rights to all Mailboxes
Hi In our company we wish for the Exchange Admins to be able to open any users mailbox. Since our upgrade to exchange 2003 we have lost that abillity. I have followed the steps in in q821897 to restore this functionallity. The steps did not work, members of Domain Admins still do not have the abillity to open users mailboxes. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them Thank mar ...

Checking mailbox usage
Hi, I'm using EX 2003 at the moment, and am pretty new to this, so this is probably really dumb question but... How can I find out the size of users' mailboxes from the server? I've looked everywhere, but can't seem to find it. We are running out of room on our mail server, and I want to find out who the biggest culprits are... Hope somebody can get back to me asap :) TIA Exchange System Manager | Administrative Groups | yourAdmin Group name | Servers | Your Server | your Storage Group Name | Mailbox Store | Mailboxes. Next to each mailbox in that store you'll see ...

How can I change a list of phone numbers into peoples names
I have a large list of phone number from my phone bill which I have copied into Excel and I would like to somehow lookup the number in my phone book which is also in Excel and show the persons name from the phone number. "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:EB3EB5D6-BC8A-43F6-8CFE-61B3FF53F3C3@microsoft.com... >I have a large list of phone number from my phone bill which I have copied > into Excel and I would like to somehow lookup the number in my phone book > which is also in Excel and show the persons name from the phone number. ...

Unable to access mailbox
Hi, I have suddenly encountered a problem with one of ourmailboxes (Exchange 2003 SP1), this is a monitored account where it is linked to a number of other mailboxes, but since last night, no one has any access to it. I can add the mailbox to my outlook profile, but when trying to open up the mailbox, I receive the error "Unable to expand the folder, the set of folders could not be opened. The informations tore could not be opened." I have tried with using the exchange primary service account (which had full acccess) as welll as seting a primary account for the account an...

Pivot Table with Define name
Hello: Is it possible to use define name in Pivot Table that the define name is link to another woeksheet? Thanks! You can use a named range in another workbook, if that workbook is open. Or, in step 1 of the pivot table wizard, select external data source, and connect to the other workbook. Alan Tang wrote: > Hello: > > Is it possible to use define name in Pivot Table that the define name is > link to another woeksheet? > > Thanks! -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Move mailbox increases the size of mailboxes
Hi, Doing a migration of Exchange 2000 to 2003, where mailboxes on an Exchange 2000 server is being moved to a newly installed Exchange 2003 SP2 server. After moving about dozen of users, we seem to notice a 20% increase of the size of the mailbox on Exchange 2003 from what it was on Exchange 2000... Is there any explaination for this ???, maybe single message storage or ??? Thanks !!! Single instance storage will be broken during the move. Nue "thinkpad21" <thinkpad21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27C8816D-9CF9-4E2F-96B4-CD172226F3D8@microsoft.com.....

Domain Admins + Full Mailbox Rights
Hi, I'm running Exchange 2003 and would like to give Domain Admins Full Mailbox access. I can give Full access rights Domain Admins in ADUC \ Mailbox rights, but then if want to remove the check from Domain Admins Full - Mailbox I can't. The tick shows as grey instead. Any ideas please? I think the users object is inhereting permissions from its parent. Regards, Kashif "PL3" wrote: > Hi, > > I'm running Exchange 2003 and would like to give Domain Admins Full Mailbox > access. I can give Full access rights Domain Admins in ADUC \ Mailbox rights, >...

Long File Names in Office.X
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3156168936_2862024 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit My OS X system supports long file names just fine, but when I open these files in Office they get truncated to something with a code at the end, such as #4587. I researched this and there is logic to the code (according to Microsoft), but it is a real pain when I am sharing files with Windows users and their systems support these long file na...

mailboxes for multiple domains
I'm trying to set up several of my users to be able to receive email addressed to either of our two domains. The element that I don't get is how the user can tell to which address the email message was sent, user@acme1.com or user@acme2.com. I have already added the second domain's SMTP to a test account, and can receive mail sent to user@acme2.com just fine, but I need to see that that is the case. Any help is greatly appreciated. On 23 Aug 2005 11:18:54 -0700, mathew.schreiber@gmail.com wrote: >I'm trying to set up several of my users to be able to receive email >a...

Setting up different mailboxes
Hi I'm sure that this question has been asked many times before. I would like to know how to setup my system, so that different users can get only their own mail. I have created seperate profiles and and acounts, but some how the e-mails goes to who ever downloads their e-mails. POlease help Adriaan What version of Outlook are you using, and if 98 or 2000, what mail support mode? If you're not sure, look at the second line of Help | About Microsoft Outlook -- it should say "Internet Mail Only" or "Corporate/Workgroup". (Outlook 97, 2002, and 2003 don't ...

OWA Rights to Mailbox problem
We have installed and additional Exchange 5.5 server to our site with OWA and IIS. OWA works fine on original server but if we move a mailbox to the new server, the user cannot forward, delete or send a new message using OWA. The mailbox recieves new mail and it can be read, but it ends there. Can't add to Calander or contacts. Missing some permissions setting, just can't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan ...

"Message creation failed; mailbox is full."
how do i delete e-mails Highlight the message and hit the Delete key -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "darren" <darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA78A9C4-7C29-4372-9443-6601C65D2341@microsoft.com... > how do i delete e-mails That doesn't sound like an error message from Windows Mail. Are you using webmail? --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "darren&...