Mail Server Name on RPC over HTTPS Clients?

Hi!
I have the following network:

Internet >> NetscreenFirewall_1 >> ISA 2004 >> NetscreenFirewall_2 >>
Internal Network with two Exchange 2003 FE and BE servers and one global
catalog.

The external clients can access Exchange over OWA/POP3/IMAP4/SMPT without
any problem.
The same clients can access Exchange 2003 by using RPC over HTTPS only when
they have the name of Back-End Exchange name as mail server name on Outlook
client. Back-End Exchange name is NOT published by using ISA. Only FE is
published. Also the external DNS server has NO RECORD for Back-End Exchange
server.
Why can the external Outlook client resolve the name of Back-End Exchange
successfully? I do not want that the external clients have the name of
Back-End EXchange. They should know only the name or IP of ISA Server.

Must Outlook clients (RPC over HTTPS) really have the name of Back-End
Exchange as mail server?

Please only solution tips and information. Thanks.

Best Regards
Mustafa

0
mustafa (157)

This is normal, Outlook knows your :
- RPC proxy server name (public name or IP of ISA server)
- your back-end server name (if you used an alias it's replaced by the real
server name but that doesn't matter)

"mustafa" wrote:

> Hi!
> I have the following network:
>
> Internet >> NetscreenFirewall_1 >> ISA 2004 >> NetscreenFirewall_2 >>
> Internal Network with two Exchange 2003 FE and BE servers and one global
> catalog.
>
> The external clients can access Exchange over OWA/POP3/IMAP4/SMPT without
> any problem.
> The same clients can access Exchange 2003 by using RPC over HTTPS only when
> they have the name of Back-End Exchange name as mail server name on Outlook
> client. Back-End Exchange name is NOT published by using ISA. Only FE is
> published. Also the external DNS server has NO RECORD for Back-End Exchange
> server.
> Why can the external Outlook client resolve the name of Back-End Exchange
> successfully? I do not want that the external clients have the name of
> Back-End EXchange. They should know only the name or IP of ISA Server.
>
> Must Outlook clients (RPC over HTTPS) really have the name of Back-End
> Exchange as mail server?
>
> Please only solution tips and information. Thanks.
>
> Best Regards
> Mustafa

Hi Benoit!
That is a BIG problem, if the security is very important in the network.
THat is also not normal.
Normally, the only server which communicates with ISA Server is Front-End
EXchange (RPC Proxy).
In addition, the clients must know ONLY the external IP address of ISA server.
All other servers in the internal network such as back-end Exchange are not
published for clients.
All Microsoft and ISA documents about this network design tells that ONLY
the ISA external IP address should be known by clients.

Best Regards
Mustafa

"Benoit Boudeville" wrote:

> This is normal, Outlook knows your :
> - RPC proxy server name (public name or IP of ISA server)
> - your back-end server name (if you used an alias it's replaced by the real
> server name but that doesn't matter)
>

> "mustafa" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I have the following network:
> >
> > Internet >> NetscreenFirewall_1 >> ISA 2004 >> NetscreenFirewall_2 >>
> > Internal Network with two Exchange 2003 FE and BE servers and one global
> > catalog.
> >
> > The external clients can access Exchange over OWA/POP3/IMAP4/SMPT without
> > any problem.
> > The same clients can access Exchange 2003 by using RPC over HTTPS only when
> > they have the name of Back-End Exchange name as mail server name on Outlook
> > client. Back-End Exchange name is NOT published by using ISA. Only FE is
> > published. Also the external DNS server has NO RECORD for Back-End Exchange
> > server.
> > Why can the external Outlook client resolve the name of Back-End Exchange
> > successfully? I do not want that the external clients have the name of
> > Back-End EXchange. They should know only the name or IP of ISA Server.
> >
> > Must Outlook clients (RPC over HTTPS) really have the name of Back-End
> > Exchange as mail server?
> >
> > Please only solution tips and information. Thanks.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Mustafa

0
mustafa (157)

Server Wont Reboot With Software Mirror
Hello Everyone. I have an issue with several different unrelated clients. That issue is that a Server Will not reboot if it uses software mirroring of the hard drives. When attempting to reboot, the server gets to the black screen with the server 2003 bar, and the grey blocks scrolling across and never gets any further. This is happening on at four clients, they all have these same things in common Windows Server 2003 service pack 1 Microsoft Exchange server 2003 Sp2 They are Domain Controllers Mcafee Groupshield 6.0.2 + Virusscan Enterprise 8.0i with patch 11 or greater HP/Compaq ...

re-downloading mail on Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. Using Outlook 97, my wife and I were able to use different computers but share one email account. The same mail was downloaded to each PC one time. Now, the same mail gets downloaded over and over again on each PC. I obviously can choose to delete the mail from the server so that it only gets read once, but then the second PC will never see it. How can I get the same behavior from Outlook 2003 that I used to have? Reading 500 messages every 10 minutes makes the upgrade really unusable. Try creating a new mail profile on each comput...

Deferred connection rest by the exchange server
Hello, I have a sendmail server that aliases some accounts and sends their mails to the exchage server. The situation is the following: a@exchange sends a mail to b@sendmail. b@sendmail is aliased to c@exchange. Most of the times, the e-mails go thru with no problem. But I am seeing more and more "defeerred Connection reset by mail.glidewell.local" the exchange server. Could somebody tell me what may be going on? Thank you. Did some research on this, most users who are getting this also appear to be in a non homegenous environment ie. Sendmail + Exchange and some involve s...

How do you a mail message to everyone in your mail database
How do you sending a mail message to everyone is your mail database? I have switched internet dial-up links and need to send a message to everyone. -- Michael Felix felix@attglobal.net You can select all items in your Contacts folder (assuming they all have valid e-mail addresses -- if not, set a filter first so that only those with valid e-mail addresses are showing) and then click Actions | New message to contact. Of course, if you have a lot of contacts, your ISP may balk at sending to so many at once -- if so, you'll have to break up the list somehow. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP -...

Changing reply to address / name
We receive support e-mails to a public folder, which several employees have permission to work (read / reply to). However, when an employee replies it displays their name and e-mail address in the reply. I'd like for their replys to display the generic support e-mail address and support name (instead of my name and e-mail address I want it to display the support name and e-mail address). Is this possible to setup within outlook? I'm also interested in this: I've got around the problem by setting up a unique Exchange account to which the responders have to login in order to...

OL2003 unable to send mail
Hi In OL2003 when I try to send email I get; 'Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: .... None of your email accounts could send to this recipient.' The pc is connected to the internet via a router. Other pcs connected to the router can send mail fine. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards Do you require authentication to send email? check with your provider. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23AzlAxUQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi ...

Safe sendershould not go to junk mail
Hi, I have an web application sends email, I found outlook 2003 puts the emails to the junk mail folder if multiple emails were sent within a short period of time, about 1 minute. The initial one was ok went to inbox, while the followings went to junk mail. but if the gap between multiple emails sent time was longer, the problem went away. (each one went to inbox). This only happened for outlook 2003, not for outlook xp. The sender address is in the global address list, with the same domain with all my users. (so I think it qualified as safe sender.) Question: How can I turn off this filt...

multiple e-mails
Usin' Outlook or Outlook Express, for some reason I keep gettin' repeat emails. Somebody can send me one and I get the same message two or three times! What can I do, if anything, to cure this problem? Anybody had the same problem? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that has had this problem... Rayce texican@coastaccess.com ...

roadwarrior + principal + multigig e-mail + psts = ???
hi all, here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700 MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month. she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have access to them all the time. so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's asked to choose between the network version and her loca...

e-mail #17
Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What am I doing wrong? Orville Cruea <ocruea@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my > default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how > to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it > continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What > am I doing wrong? What you are doi...

mails are not going out side of my domain
hi , i have an exchange 2003 (sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i have an smtp filter for exchange which filters the mails coming in my exchange server , the scenario is like that , first i have an router then pix firewall and then smtp filter then my exchange comes ,he domain controller and exchnage are on same machine. today i am getting a problem is that the mails from hotmail and yahoo are coming to my exchange but the mails from my exchange are not going outside ,the error i am getting is given below. "Your message with Subject: hi test mail could not be delivered to the fo...

Importing old MS Mail folders
I need to import the shared folders and global address book from an old MS Mail postoffice. I have seen some discussions concerning migrating mailboxes but very little at that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THanx! ...

Counts for Mail Folders #2
I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. I don't think that's possible "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21235507-8D1A-49F6-8ACA-AEFF12922B79@microsoft.com... > I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and > subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. ...

Microsoft Exchange Server does not appear in Add Service
I have Office 2K Pro installed on a Citrix Server. Problem is: when users configure Outlook and select Add Service, there is no listing of Microsoft Exchange Server. I have another Citrix Server and it has Microsoft Exchange Server listed under Add Service. Can someone tell me how to add Microsoft Exchange Server to be shown in Add Service? Thanks, Dan Sounds like Outlook is installed in Internet Mail Only mode. You can change it to Corporate/Workgroup - tools, options, find the "reconfigure mail support" button - you may need to have your installation media handy. Dan wro...

Show a named range within a label (not VBA)
I have a sheet that has a column value which states "Expenses in working currency". I would like to have it say "Expenses in USD" or "Expenses in MXP" (whatever the currency is). I have a named range in another sheet, ProjectInformation, that holds the working currency value. Not in VBA, but in the sheet I need to say something like: ="Expenses in" & (ProjectInformation!C9) but this gives me an error. Help, please. Thanks. Rick If I understand your set up correctly, try it this way... ="Expenses in "&Proje...

repititive e-mails
Outlook 2002 in Office XP When sending, the mail does not leave the outbox and sends over and over again, never making it to the sent items folder. The recipients are getting it multiple times. How to fix? ...

Mail receiveing but not sending
Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can recieve mail fine but when I send mail it goes but doesn't turn up at the other end! I used the ICW in sbs 2003 to configure it. I've checked the queues on the exchange server but there all empty. My exchange Small Business SMTP connector Properties are set to forward all mail through a smart host. currently smtp.ozemail.com.au!! Not sure why this is happening! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Any help from SBS newsgroup? John wrote: > Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can > recie...

Unable to send e-mails, but can receive e-mail.
I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not receive e-mails. My network configuration is correct. My IP address and server are correctly labeled, but I still can not receive e-mail. Everyone on the server are not having any problems. What should I do? Hi - which is it you're having a problem with? Your subject line & message content are contradictory... Are you connecting to an Exchange server? What kind of mail account are you having problems with? What errors do you get? GJimenez wrote: > I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not > receive...

Replicate mail boxes?
is it possable to replicate mail boxes? I would like to do this while we migrate fully over to our new server? What are you trying to accomplish? replicate Stores? At byte and block levels using 3rd party products like NSI, or from storage vendors like NetApp (SnapMirror) and EMC. Exchange 12 is reported to have log shipping. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:e$ZlNv66FHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > is it possable to replicate mail...

Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting
hi... this is the problem i am facing...can anyone help me "Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting" pls reply in vijai@fourdtech.co.in" Thanks & Regards Vijay The most likely reason is that you have an antivirus solution installed that can scan e-mail as it is downloaded. You would need to disable the scanning of e-mail to get what you describe to stop. "vijai@fourdtech.co.in" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146d01c4a20a$b5ca8e60$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi... > > this is ...

delete blocked senders messages on receipt why junk mail them?
Why is it that after going to all the trouble of putting people onto a blocked senders list the filter still puts their messages into the junk mail folder for you to delete them? Or am I understanding the training wrong? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

Mailing in a test enviornment
I have a CRM ans SQL server configure on a single machine and the Domain controleer along with exchange Server on a seperate machine. Till some time back Mails could be sent via CRM and they could be seen in the history tab. Suddenly when i try to send mails vai CRM, it gives me the following error: Unexpected Error for more information contact your system administrator. I have checked all the necessary services required for the excahnge enviornment. The exchange router has been reinstalled as well. Still cannot figure out why I am getting this error. Thank for your help in advance Jus...

change mail format for contacts
For the iphone, attachments come over as winmail.dat and the solution is to change the mail format in options, mail format to HTML. Also the individual contacts needs to be changed by double clicking the email address and changing the internet format to Send Plain Text only. After these changes are made, the attachments come over fine. I have had problems with this issue with some contact before. I would love to be able to make this change globally instead of having to edit all contacts. Can this be done. It can be done with some VBA code, which you'll find here: ht...

Windows 2003 Active Directory and Exchange 2000 Server
I had to build a test lab to simulate a customers Windows 2003 domain which has Exchange 2000 installed on a Windows 2000 Server. These were the steps that I took. 1. INstalled Windows 2003 Server onto my laptop and connected it to the production network. DCPROMO'd it and then disconnected it from the domain. 2. Brought the laptop with Windows 2003 installed back to my office and build a test lab. 3. Seized the FSMO roles onto this server (laptop) and then transferred the roles onto another domain controller. So now I have 2 domain controllers in my test lab 4. I then installed a W...

cannot receive mail, delete mail, or send mail. get an error message.
Now I know why I switch between Outlook Express and Outlook: Both cease to function at one point in time. In Outlook 2000, I cannot receive mail; I cannot delete mail; I cannot use the calendar function. Here are the messages: When I click receive mail, I get: C:Windows\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed.access denied. and: (Account:'incoming.verizon.net',PPO3server:'incoming.verizo n.net',error number:0x800040116). I cannot delete. I get the following message:C:Windows\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook ..pst could not be accessed...