Mail not visible in outlook

Good Day,

I tried to restore some email from our backup program today and after being
on the phone for about three hours.

When I go into my backup program I see emails with No Subject.  I do not see
them in Outlook.  When I restore the emails all the emails move over but I
do not see the No Subject emails.  If I go into the backup program and look
at the folder that I have restored the email to I see the No Subject emails
but again do not see them in Outlook.

After being on the phone they said that the program uses Mapi and it seems
that is why you can see these emails.  The emails are orphans or deleted
emails.  They sent me a program called Mfcmapi bin.exe (291794) so that I
can look at these so called orphan emails.

Config
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server SP1
Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP1
Outlook 2003 SP2

Does anybody have any info on these No Subject emails and if so can you
please pass it along my way.

Thank You
Adam Raff

0
adam5301 (37)

Hello Adam,

Thank you for posting.

Can you tell me what the backup program is?

To narrow down the issue, I suggest you perform a test:
1.	Create a new mail enabled user account.
2.	Logon to the user's mailbox in Outlook. Send some test mail to self.
3.	Use Mfcmapi bin.exe to verify if there are some mails without subject in
the mailbox.
4.	Backup and restore the mails with the backup program.
5.	Use Mfcmapi bin.exe to check again.

According to the result, we can make sure if the problem is caused by the
backup program.

Please let me know the result. Have a good day.

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

v-jochen (143)
6/2/2006 9:02:54 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time out to answer my question.

We are using Backup Exec Ver 9.1SP4 with Exchange Agent

In all cases I am able to restore my mail.  I just see phantom emails with
no subjects which can be restored but not seen in outlook.  When being
viewed by Backup Exec I am able to see the phantom emails.

When I click the backup tab in Backup Exec and then point to my mailbox,
lets say to back it up I can see mail with subject lines (Brick level
backup) Some of those mails only have an icon with no subject.  They are
blank.  I can then click on a few emails and I am able to restore them to
another mail box.  The normal emails with subject or even stuff with no
subject move

It appears that these emails with no subjects appear in all the mailboxes, I
seem to have four in my inbox.

My concern with your advise is that I do not know how to use the program and
they recommend that I talk to somebody at Microsoft.  Kind of a newbie and
since this is a production system, I do not want to cause any issues with
the Exchange server by careless mistake.  If you can send me some info on
this program and how to use it, would be a great help.  Also if you have
seen anything like this or have seen any KB articles that would be a great
help also.

Thanks for your help
Adam Raff

"John Chen [MSFT]" <v-jochen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Adam,
>
> Thank you for posting.
>
> Can you tell me what the backup program is?
>
> To narrow down the issue, I suggest you perform a test:
> 1. Create a new mail enabled user account.
> 2. Logon to the user's mailbox in Outlook. Send some test mail to self.
> 3. Use Mfcmapi bin.exe to verify if there are some mails without subject
> in
> the mailbox.
> 4. Backup and restore the mails with the backup program.
> 5. Use Mfcmapi bin.exe to check again.
>
> According to the result, we can make sure if the problem is caused by the
> backup program.
>
> Please let me know the result. Have a good day.
>
> Sincerely,
> John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.

> rights.

0
adam5301 (37)
6/2/2006 6:51:17 PM
Hi Adam,

I see. Now I suggest you use MDBVU32 to view users' mailboxes. You can
download this tool at:
Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store Viewer (MDBVU32)
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3d1c7482-4c6e-4ec5
-983e-127100d71376&displaylang=en

After extracting the executable files on your client computer with Outlook,
try these steps to check emails in your mailbox:
1.	Double click mdbvu32.exe.
2.	If there is no email profile on this computer, follow the wizard to
create an email profile.
3.	In the MAPILogonEx(MAPI_LOGON_UI) dialog box, select Mapi_New_Session,
and then click OK.
4.	Select your profile.
5.	On the MDB menu, click OpenMessageStore.
6.	Highlight your mailbox, Click Open.
7.	On the MDB menu, click Open Root Folder.
8.	Double click PIM_Subtree.
9.	Now you can see the folders in your mailbox in Child Folders list.
10.	Double click one folder, such as Inbox.
11.	Now you will see all the mails in this folder. Please check if you can
see the mails without subject (Ghost emails). Please make sure they are not
normal emails but no subject.
12.	You can exit the tool by click Session->Log off (Logoff_No_Wait) on
"MDB Viewer Test Application"

This tool will connect to your mailbox directly. If you did not find the
ghost emails in MDBVU32, I suggest you contact the support department of
Backup Exec.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

v-jochen (143)
6/5/2006 8:01:23 AM
John,

Thank You for your directions they were great and helped out a lot.   I did
not see any ghost messages so it back to the vendor on this one.

Thanks again, it was a great help

Take Care

> Hi Adam,
>
> I see. Now I suggest you use MDBVU32 to view users' mailboxes. You can
> download this tool at:
> Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store Viewer (MDBVU32)
> https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3d1c7482-4c6e-4ec5
> -983e-127100d71376&displaylang=en
>
> After extracting the executable files on your client computer with
> Outlook,
> try these steps to check emails in your mailbox:
> 1. Double click mdbvu32.exe.
> 2. If there is no email profile on this computer, follow the wizard to
> create an email profile.
> 3. In the MAPILogonEx(MAPI_LOGON_UI) dialog box, select Mapi_New_Session,
> and then click OK.
> 4. Select your profile.
> 5. On the MDB menu, click OpenMessageStore.
> 6. Highlight your mailbox, Click Open.
> 7. On the MDB menu, click Open Root Folder.
> 8. Double click PIM_Subtree.
> 9. Now you can see the folders in your mailbox in Child Folders list.
> 10. Double click one folder, such as Inbox.
> 11. Now you will see all the mails in this folder. Please check if you can
> see the mails without subject (Ghost emails). Please make sure they are
> not
> normal emails but no subject.
> 12. You can exit the tool by click Session->Log off (Logoff_No_Wait) on
> "MDB Viewer Test Application"
>
> This tool will connect to your mailbox directly. If you did not find the
> ghost emails in MDBVU32, I suggest you contact the support department of
> Backup Exec.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Sincerely,
> John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.

> rights.

0
adam5301 (37)
6/6/2006 4:06:25 PM
Hi Adam,

You are welcome :) It's my pleasure working with you.

Have a great day.

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

v-jochen (143)

re-downloading mail on Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. Using Outlook 97, my wife and I were able to use different computers but share one email account. The same mail was downloaded to each PC one time. Now, the same mail gets downloaded over and over again on each PC. I obviously can choose to delete the mail from the server so that it only gets read once, but then the second PC will never see it. How can I get the same behavior from Outlook 2003 that I used to have? Reading 500 messages every 10 minutes makes the upgrade really unusable. Try creating a new mail profile on each comput...

Problem with calender creation in Outlook
Hi NG, I installed CRM these days and got a bigger problem. (Outlook 2007) When I am creating a calender item in outlook (not crm client plugin, as usually in outlook) and then create a connection to a crm lead or anything like that, I get the error, that maybe the CRM server isn´t availible. If I click ok, I get one more error telling me there is an error with the item and if I wanna ignore it or not. (no matter what I click the result is the same). In my outlook calender, the appointment/item is there like it should be, but not at the crm part. Anyone got an idea how to solve th...

outlook 2007 app crash
Can someone help with this error? Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 12.0.6423.1000 Application Timestamp: 49b08185 Fault Module Name: olmapi32.dll Fault Module Version: 12.0.6423.1000 Fault Module Timestamp: 49b08045 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000126cc OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 Locale ID: 1033 Additional information about the problem: LCID: 1033 Brand: Office12Crash skulcid: 1033 See your other post. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Confi...

outlook not sending/receiving at startup
hello, When I open Outlook (2003), it does not automatically send and receive email. I have to manually enter "Send/Receive". Please help... I've tried everything. Thank you. You need to set an automatic polling interval in Send/Receive groups. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:397101c3e362$8ed28f90$a101280a@phx.gbl... > hello, > When I open Outlook (2003), it does not automatically send > and receive email. I have to manually > enter "Send/Receive". Please help... I've tried everything....

How do you a mail message to everyone in your mail database
How do you sending a mail message to everyone is your mail database? I have switched internet dial-up links and need to send a message to everyone. -- Michael Felix felix@attglobal.net You can select all items in your Contacts folder (assuming they all have valid e-mail addresses -- if not, set a filter first so that only those with valid e-mail addresses are showing) and then click Actions | New message to contact. Of course, if you have a lot of contacts, your ISP may balk at sending to so many at once -- if so, you'll have to break up the list somehow. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP -...

OL2003 unable to send mail
Hi In OL2003 when I try to send email I get; 'Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: .... None of your email accounts could send to this recipient.' The pc is connected to the internet via a router. Other pcs connected to the router can send mail fine. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards Do you require authentication to send email? check with your provider. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23AzlAxUQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi ...

Safe sendershould not go to junk mail
Hi, I have an web application sends email, I found outlook 2003 puts the emails to the junk mail folder if multiple emails were sent within a short period of time, about 1 minute. The initial one was ok went to inbox, while the followings went to junk mail. but if the gap between multiple emails sent time was longer, the problem went away. (each one went to inbox). This only happened for outlook 2003, not for outlook xp. The sender address is in the global address list, with the same domain with all my users. (so I think it qualified as safe sender.) Question: How can I turn off this filt...

multiple e-mails
Usin' Outlook or Outlook Express, for some reason I keep gettin' repeat emails. Somebody can send me one and I get the same message two or three times! What can I do, if anything, to cure this problem? Anybody had the same problem? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that has had this problem... Rayce texican@coastaccess.com ...

roadwarrior + principal + multigig e-mail + psts = ???
hi all, here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700 MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month. she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have access to them all the time. so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's asked to choose between the network version and her loca...

.snp Sent via Access-to-Outlook Automatic
W/ a filename of Sales030408_030908.snp - is NOT opening. What am I doing wrong? TIA - Bob Hi Bob, My guess is that you are not doing anything wrong. It may be that some setting is not correct in your registry to allow Outlook and Snapview.exe to work together correctly. Are you able to open the .snp file if you first save it from the e-mail message to some folder on your hard drive? Have you tried a different .snp file, just to rule out possible corruption in the Sales030408_030908.snp file? Tom Wickerath Microsoft Access MVP http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/ http://www.access.q...

e-mail #17
Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What am I doing wrong? Orville Cruea <ocruea@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my > default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how > to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it > continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What > am I doing wrong? What you are doi...

mails are not going out side of my domain
hi , i have an exchange 2003 (sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i have an smtp filter for exchange which filters the mails coming in my exchange server , the scenario is like that , first i have an router then pix firewall and then smtp filter then my exchange comes ,he domain controller and exchnage are on same machine. today i am getting a problem is that the mails from hotmail and yahoo are coming to my exchange but the mails from my exchange are not going outside ,the error i am getting is given below. "Your message with Subject: hi test mail could not be delivered to the fo...

Outlook 2000 #10
Whenever I start outlook on a win98 machine it goes to whatever startin box I define that is fine. here is the problem Outlook will just hang for about five minutes. If I then go to task manager its says not responding. But will start after awhile. ...

Importing old MS Mail folders
I need to import the shared folders and global address book from an old MS Mail postoffice. I have seen some discussions concerning migrating mailboxes but very little at that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THanx! ...

Counts for Mail Folders #2
I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. I don't think that's possible "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21235507-8D1A-49F6-8ACA-AEFF12922B79@microsoft.com... > I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and > subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. ...

Automatic Receipt of email when Outlook is opened
I am having to select Send/Receive to get email and I think there is a way for email to automatically come into Outlook from the server without that selection. This is a home computer running XP Pro on a Cable Modem. It is possible to set this up. Here is a link to an article that should walk you through the steps to make this happen, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;829168. I hope this helps resolve your issue. Robert Findlay Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Applications ------------------...

repititive e-mails
Outlook 2002 in Office XP When sending, the mail does not leave the outbox and sends over and over again, never making it to the sent items folder. The recipients are getting it multiple times. How to fix? ...

Mail receiveing but not sending
Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can recieve mail fine but when I send mail it goes but doesn't turn up at the other end! I used the ICW in sbs 2003 to configure it. I've checked the queues on the exchange server but there all empty. My exchange Small Business SMTP connector Properties are set to forward all mail through a smart host. currently smtp.ozemail.com.au!! Not sure why this is happening! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Any help from SBS newsgroup? John wrote: > Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can > recie...

Unable to send e-mails, but can receive e-mail.
I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not receive e-mails. My network configuration is correct. My IP address and server are correctly labeled, but I still can not receive e-mail. Everyone on the server are not having any problems. What should I do? Hi - which is it you're having a problem with? Your subject line & message content are contradictory... Are you connecting to an Exchange server? What kind of mail account are you having problems with? What errors do you get? GJimenez wrote: > I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not > receive...

Plugin to read OWA with Outlook
Hello all, I'm in this situation: my firewall does not permit traffic for RPC to connect to a remote exchange server. Remote server cannot be configured to run RPC on port 80 (maybe while is running a webserver on the same port). POP3 and IMAP is not available. Is there an add-ins to get into my outlook email read from OWA? Thanks Stefano As far as I know, no. The best you can do is set a folder home page to the OWA page and use Outlook like a browser but that's really not more helpful than using a regular browser. "Ste" <s.cislaghi@gmail.com> wrote in message n...

Replicate mail boxes?
is it possable to replicate mail boxes? I would like to do this while we migrate fully over to our new server? What are you trying to accomplish? replicate Stores? At byte and block levels using 3rd party products like NSI, or from storage vendors like NetApp (SnapMirror) and EMC. Exchange 12 is reported to have log shipping. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:e$ZlNv66FHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > is it possable to replicate mail...

Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting
hi... this is the problem i am facing...can anyone help me "Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting" pls reply in vijai@fourdtech.co.in" Thanks & Regards Vijay The most likely reason is that you have an antivirus solution installed that can scan e-mail as it is downloaded. You would need to disable the scanning of e-mail to get what you describe to stop. "vijai@fourdtech.co.in" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146d01c4a20a$b5ca8e60$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi... > > this is ...

Outlook and disappearing Calendar Events
I work for a large company with 30,000 users on Microsoft Outlook. Some of us have Outlook 2003 while others are still using Outlook 2002 or Outlook 2000. All of the groups in our company seem to have this same problem. As an example, if a calendar event is sent to 30 users and accepted, everything is fine. If that same calendar event is updated by the originator, some but not all users have problems with that event. In some cases the calendar event disappears or cannot be opened or saved while in others the object can't be found. Does this sound like an Exchange error or an en...

delete blocked senders messages on receipt why junk mail them?
Why is it that after going to all the trouble of putting people onto a blocked senders list the filter still puts their messages into the junk mail folder for you to delete them? Or am I understanding the training wrong? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

Mailing in a test enviornment
I have a CRM ans SQL server configure on a single machine and the Domain controleer along with exchange Server on a seperate machine. Till some time back Mails could be sent via CRM and they could be seen in the history tab. Suddenly when i try to send mails vai CRM, it gives me the following error: Unexpected Error for more information contact your system administrator. I have checked all the necessary services required for the excahnge enviornment. The exchange router has been reinstalled as well. Still cannot figure out why I am getting this error. Thank for your help in advance Jus...