Mail delivery problem #2

I am running exchange 2003 sp2.  This past monday out of the blue, exchange
started delivering messages to users without a mailbox all to one particular
user.  These could have been employees not in the company any longer and the
mailbox has been deleted.  Orginially the system mailbox was set to catch all
incoming messges without vaild accounts.

Any idea how I can help the user from recieving all of the junk messages and
make exchange deliver properly again?
Thanks
John
0
JohnB (54)

Recheck what's going on.  Are you sure that what's being delivered isn't
NDRs of undeliverable messages?  If that's what's being delivered to that
mailbox it's because that mailbox is set as the postmaster account.  Change
that.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313832&sd=tech
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"John B." <JohnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running exchange 2003 sp2.  This past monday out of the blue, exchange
> started delivering messages to users without a mailbox all to one
> particular
> user.  These could have been employees not in the company any longer and
> the
> mailbox has been deleted.  Orginially the system mailbox was set to catch
> all
> incoming messges without vaild accounts.
>
> Any idea how I can help the user from recieving all of the junk messages
> and
> make exchange deliver properly again?
> Thanks
> John

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/31/2006 5:08:58 PM
Ed,
I did recheck and the user allowed me access to their mailbox.  It is
without a doubt recieving all of the messages from accounts no longer in the
domain. It is not NDRs.  I rechecked the users custom addresses and
postmaster is not one of them.  As I am the only administrator on the small
network, no one else has the rights to make changes.

You gave me a thought, I created a temp user account and assigned the
postmaster address to this new account.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Recheck what's going on.  Are you sure that what's being delivered isn't
> NDRs of undeliverable messages?  If that's what's being delivered to that
> mailbox it's because that mailbox is set as the postmaster account.  Change
> that.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313832&sd=tech
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "John B." <JohnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running exchange 2003 sp2.  This past monday out of the blue, exchange
> > started delivering messages to users without a mailbox all to one
> > particular
> > user.  These could have been employees not in the company any longer and
> > the
> > mailbox has been deleted.  Orginially the system mailbox was set to catch
> > all
> > incoming messges without vaild accounts.
> >
> > Any idea how I can help the user from recieving all of the junk messages
> > and
> > make exchange deliver properly again?
> > Thanks
> > John

0
JohnB (54)
8/31/2006 8:55:01 PM
John B. <JohnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I did recheck and the user allowed me access to their mailbox.  It is
>without a doubt recieving all of the messages from accounts no longer in the
>domain. It is not NDRs.  I rechecked the users custom addresses and
>postmaster is not one of them.  As I am the only administrator on the small
>network, no one else has the rights to make changes.
>
>You gave me a thought, I created a temp user account and assigned the
>postmaster address to this new account.

If they aren't all NDR's then you, or someone else, has installed
something on that machine to send all undeliverable mail to a single
address instead of simply sending a NDR to the originator.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> If they aren't all NDR's then you, or someone else, has installed
> something on that machine to send all undeliverable mail to a single
> address instead of simply sending a NDR to the originator.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
JohnB (54)
9/1/2006 2:13:01 AM
Does this user's properties pages' E-Mail Addresses tab have the e-mail
addresses of these departed users?
--

> Ed,
> I did recheck and the user allowed me access to their mailbox.  It is
> without a doubt recieving all of the messages from accounts no longer in
> the
> domain. It is not NDRs.  I rechecked the users custom addresses and
> postmaster is not one of them.  As I am the only administrator on the
> small
> network, no one else has the rights to make changes.
>
> You gave me a thought, I created a temp user account and assigned the
> postmaster address to this new account.
>

> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Recheck what's going on.  Are you sure that what's being delivered isn't
>> NDRs of undeliverable messages?  If that's what's being delivered to that
>> mailbox it's because that mailbox is set as the postmaster account.
>> Change
>> that.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313832&sd=tech
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "John B." <JohnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am running exchange 2003 sp2.  This past monday out of the blue,
>> >exchange
>> > started delivering messages to users without a mailbox all to one
>> > particular
>> > user.  These could have been employees not in the company any longer
>> > and
>> > the
>> > mailbox has been deleted.  Orginially the system mailbox was set to
>> > catch
>> > all
>> > incoming messges without vaild accounts.
>> >
>> > Any idea how I can help the user from recieving all of the junk
>> > messages
>> > and
>> > make exchange deliver properly again?
>> > Thanks
>> > John

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/1/2006 3:29:19 AM
No. The user only has his email on the properties page.  Plus a couple of
generic mailboxes forwarded to his.  The mail he is receiving is still from
non-existent accounts that have long since been deleted.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Does this user's properties pages' E-Mail Addresses tab have the e-mail
> addresses of these departed users?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "John B." <JohnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ed,
> > I did recheck and the user allowed me access to their mailbox.  It is
> > without a doubt recieving all of the messages from accounts no longer in
> > the
> > domain. It is not NDRs.  I rechecked the users custom addresses and
> > postmaster is not one of them.  As I am the only administrator on the
> > small
> > network, no one else has the rights to make changes.
> >
> > You gave me a thought, I created a temp user account and assigned the
> > postmaster address to this new account.
> >

> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Recheck what's going on.  Are you sure that what's being delivered isn't
> >> NDRs of undeliverable messages?  If that's what's being delivered to that
> >> mailbox it's because that mailbox is set as the postmaster account.
> >> Change
> >> that.
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313832&sd=tech
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "John B." <JohnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
JohnB (54)
9/1/2006 6:43:02 PM
What about the generic mailboxes that are forwarded to him?
--

> No. The user only has his email on the properties page.  Plus a couple of
> generic mailboxes forwarded to his.  The mail he is receiving is still
> from
> non-existent accounts that have long since been deleted.
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Does this user's properties pages' E-Mail Addresses tab have the e-mail
>> addresses of these departed users?
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "John B." <JohnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ed,
>> > I did recheck and the user allowed me access to their mailbox.  It is
>> > without a doubt recieving all of the messages from accounts no longer
>> > in
>> > the
>> > domain. It is not NDRs.  I rechecked the users custom addresses and
>> > postmaster is not one of them.  As I am the only administrator on the
>> > small
>> > network, no one else has the rights to make changes.
>> >
>> > You gave me a thought, I created a temp user account and assigned the
>> > postmaster address to this new account.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/2/2006 12:11:20 AM
John B. <JohnB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Not since I installed SP2 for Exchange 2003 has anything been installed on
>the server (and that was 3 weeks ago).  I double checked the security logs.
>This problem started on Monday of this week. Tonight I am installing 2k3
>updates etc.

Are you sure you aren't looking at spam?

The "To:" address in the message header isn't the address to which the
message was sent. The SMTP "RCPT TO" command contains that
information. You'll find that in the SMTP protocol logs.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

re-downloading mail on Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003. Using Outlook 97, my wife and I were able to use different computers but share one email account. The same mail was downloaded to each PC one time. Now, the same mail gets downloaded over and over again on each PC. I obviously can choose to delete the mail from the server so that it only gets read once, but then the second PC will never see it. How can I get the same behavior from Outlook 2003 that I used to have? Reading 500 messages every 10 minutes makes the upgrade really unusable. Try creating a new mail profile on each comput...

Problem with calender creation in Outlook
Hi NG, I installed CRM these days and got a bigger problem. (Outlook 2007) When I am creating a calender item in outlook (not crm client plugin, as usually in outlook) and then create a connection to a crm lead or anything like that, I get the error, that maybe the CRM server isn´t availible. If I click ok, I get one more error telling me there is an error with the item and if I wanna ignore it or not. (no matter what I click the result is the same). In my outlook calender, the appointment/item is there like it should be, but not at the crm part. Anyone got an idea how to solve th...

How do you a mail message to everyone in your mail database
How do you sending a mail message to everyone is your mail database? I have switched internet dial-up links and need to send a message to everyone. -- Michael Felix felix@attglobal.net You can select all items in your Contacts folder (assuming they all have valid e-mail addresses -- if not, set a filter first so that only those with valid e-mail addresses are showing) and then click Actions | New message to contact. Of course, if you have a lot of contacts, your ISP may balk at sending to so many at once -- if so, you'll have to break up the list somehow. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP -...

OL2003 unable to send mail
Hi In OL2003 when I try to send email I get; 'Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. The following recipient(s) could not be reached: .... None of your email accounts could send to this recipient.' The pc is connected to the internet via a router. Other pcs connected to the router can send mail fine. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards Do you require authentication to send email? check with your provider. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23AzlAxUQFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi ...

Security problem
Hello folks... I have an annoying problem here in the office :( We have a file on a shared folder that is protected by microsoft excel xp password security so, when users open the file they have to type a password to use it. Only 1 user in the whole office is allowed to open the file w/o password prompt! Why? I'm going mad... Thank you for attention :) ...

Safe sendershould not go to junk mail
Hi, I have an web application sends email, I found outlook 2003 puts the emails to the junk mail folder if multiple emails were sent within a short period of time, about 1 minute. The initial one was ok went to inbox, while the followings went to junk mail. but if the gap between multiple emails sent time was longer, the problem went away. (each one went to inbox). This only happened for outlook 2003, not for outlook xp. The sender address is in the global address list, with the same domain with all my users. (so I think it qualified as safe sender.) Question: How can I turn off this filt...

multiple e-mails
Usin' Outlook or Outlook Express, for some reason I keep gettin' repeat emails. Somebody can send me one and I get the same message two or three times! What can I do, if anything, to cure this problem? Anybody had the same problem? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that has had this problem... Rayce texican@coastaccess.com ...

Problem #8
Purchased new computer 5/30/07. I was receiving e-mails ok, but was not sending ok until I removed the trial McAfee. Now can send, but not receive. Was told by internet provider that I needed the link to reformat Outlook 2007. "SavannahUMC" <SavannahUMC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:886634E3-43B5-4AD7-932F-088DFE14F2D2@microsoft.com... > Purchased new computer 5/30/07. I was receiving e-mails ok, but was not > sending ok until I removed the trial McAfee. Now can send, but not > receive. > Was told by internet provider that I needed th...

Windows 7 disk drive problem.
January 23, 2010 Subject: Windows 7 disk drive problem. I can't copy files from my HP Windows 7 disk drive to my hard drive and visa versa. When I got HP support to try to solve the problem my computer crashed. It took them an hour of remote control to get it back running without the original problem of the disk drive resolved. Does anyone know how to do it. Thank you. Gerald On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:21:00 GMT, Gerald Hansen <ghansen@tds.net> wrote: >January 23, 2010 > >Subject: Windows 7 disk drive problem. I can't copy files from my HP >Win...

roadwarrior + principal + multigig e-mail + psts = ???
hi all, here's the deal. we have a principal who travels all the time. she gets an insane amount of legit e-mail with small to large attachments (we cap it at 15 MB, 5 MB is fairly common). her mailbox is capped at 700 MB. this is not enough. we have to archive for her every other month. she has almost 2GBs of PST archives on the network. she wants to have access to them all the time. so we have set up offline files to sync the pst folder. ick. sometimes she'll actually edit the psts on the road and when she gets back she's asked to choose between the network version and her loca...

comparing 2 files with Vlookup possible?
I have been asked to use Vlookup to flag similar entries in two files using vlookup. Is it possible? Thanks An easy way to do this is to start your formula and then select the other area and then touch the enter key. =vlookup(a2, now open the other file >goto the lookup range>highlight it>touch the enter key>complete the formula. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "dindigul" <padhye.m@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23Lm%23AUunHHA.3952@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I have been asked to use Vlookup to flag similar entries in two files...

e-mail #17
Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What am I doing wrong? Orville Cruea <ocruea@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > Microsoft Outlook does not respond to making it my > default for e-mail. I have checked all that I know how > to. It is checked as my default under "Other" Tab but it > continues to send my e-mail to Outlook Express. Why? What > am I doing wrong? What you are doi...

mails are not going out side of my domain
hi , i have an exchange 2003 (sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i have an smtp filter for exchange which filters the mails coming in my exchange server , the scenario is like that , first i have an router then pix firewall and then smtp filter then my exchange comes ,he domain controller and exchnage are on same machine. today i am getting a problem is that the mails from hotmail and yahoo are coming to my exchange but the mails from my exchange are not going outside ,the error i am getting is given below. "Your message with Subject: hi test mail could not be delivered to the fo...

XMLnodelist and XPATH Problem
I am having a problem selecting nodes using the XMLnodelist Selectnodes using XPATH when I use XML SPY is successfully queries but when is use VB.net it comes up with nothing. Here is my code Dim nodess As XmlNode nodess = myNode.SelectSingleNode("//Web[@Url= 'http://localhost']") If nodess Is Nothing Then SQLrw.Delete() End If nodess = Nothing The myNode Properites ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ {System.Xml.XmlElement} [System.Xm...

Importing old MS Mail folders
I need to import the shared folders and global address book from an old MS Mail postoffice. I have seen some discussions concerning migrating mailboxes but very little at that. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THanx! ...

Counts for Mail Folders #2
I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. I don't think that's possible "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21235507-8D1A-49F6-8ACA-AEFF12922B79@microsoft.com... > I'd like to have the total number of messages in all the folders and > subfolders of my mailbox to appear on the status bar. ...

repititive e-mails
Outlook 2002 in Office XP When sending, the mail does not leave the outbox and sends over and over again, never making it to the sent items folder. The recipients are getting it multiple times. How to fix? ...

Mail receiveing but not sending
Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can recieve mail fine but when I send mail it goes but doesn't turn up at the other end! I used the ICW in sbs 2003 to configure it. I've checked the queues on the exchange server but there all empty. My exchange Small Business SMTP connector Properties are set to forward all mail through a smart host. currently smtp.ozemail.com.au!! Not sure why this is happening! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Any help from SBS newsgroup? John wrote: > Since setting up my mail to use SMTP instead of pop3 I can > recie...

Unable to send e-mails, but can receive e-mail.
I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not receive e-mails. My network configuration is correct. My IP address and server are correctly labeled, but I still can not receive e-mail. Everyone on the server are not having any problems. What should I do? Hi - which is it you're having a problem with? Your subject line & message content are contradictory... Are you connecting to an Exchange server? What kind of mail account are you having problems with? What errors do you get? GJimenez wrote: > I have re-installed Windows Outlook 2000 but now I can not > receive...

Ex2003 Wierd Problem
Our Organization LAN network infrastructure is as follows. 1] One server running windows server2003, DC,DNS,DHCP & Ex2003 sp2 2] Another server running ISA 2004 with OWA, RPC/HTTP rules to allow users access from the internet. We have a POP account hosted at our service providers end & on our Exchange server we use a POP connector to download mails from the internet to our exchange server. We had this setup running without any problem for years, but since a few days ago the following is happening. When certain users send a email to certain other users {not all) the email is del...

Replicate mail boxes?
is it possable to replicate mail boxes? I would like to do this while we migrate fully over to our new server? What are you trying to accomplish? replicate Stores? At byte and block levels using 3rd party products like NSI, or from storage vendors like NetApp (SnapMirror) and EMC. Exchange 12 is reported to have log shipping. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:e$ZlNv66FHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > is it possable to replicate mail...

Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting
hi... this is the problem i am facing...can anyone help me "Incoming mail server changes to "localhost" after windows is restarting" pls reply in vijai@fourdtech.co.in" Thanks & Regards Vijay The most likely reason is that you have an antivirus solution installed that can scan e-mail as it is downloaded. You would need to disable the scanning of e-mail to get what you describe to stop. "vijai@fourdtech.co.in" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146d01c4a20a$b5ca8e60$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi... > > this is ...

delete blocked senders messages on receipt why junk mail them?
Why is it that after going to all the trouble of putting people onto a blocked senders list the filter still puts their messages into the junk mail folder for you to delete them? Or am I understanding the training wrong? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

Mailing in a test enviornment
I have a CRM ans SQL server configure on a single machine and the Domain controleer along with exchange Server on a seperate machine. Till some time back Mails could be sent via CRM and they could be seen in the history tab. Suddenly when i try to send mails vai CRM, it gives me the following error: Unexpected Error for more information contact your system administrator. I have checked all the necessary services required for the excahnge enviornment. The exchange router has been reinstalled as well. Still cannot figure out why I am getting this error. Thank for your help in advance Jus...

change mail format for contacts
For the iphone, attachments come over as winmail.dat and the solution is to change the mail format in options, mail format to HTML. Also the individual contacts needs to be changed by double clicking the email address and changing the internet format to Send Plain Text only. After these changes are made, the attachments come over fine. I have had problems with this issue with some contact before. I would love to be able to make this change globally instead of having to edit all contacts. Can this be done. It can be done with some VBA code, which you'll find here: ht...