Logical naming policy for distribution lists in the GAL?

Hello,

We're migrating about 50 public distribution-lists from another mail-
system to Exchange and need to make them (1) easy to find and (2)
obvious that they are lists. The number could increase to several
hundred in future.

We are considering prefixing the lists with "DL" to group them all
together, or removing them from the GAL by and putting them in a new,
dedicated custom section.

Can anyone offer some practical advice or suggestions based on their
experience?

Thanks,

- Alan.

0
bruguy (167)

On 10 Apr 2007 02:54:15 -0700, "Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We're migrating about 50 public distribution-lists from another mail-
>system to Exchange and need to make them (1) easy to find and (2)
>obvious that they are lists. The number could increase to several
>hundred in future.
>
>We are considering prefixing the lists with "DL" to group them all
>together, or removing them from the GAL by and putting them in a new,
>dedicated custom section.
>
>Can anyone offer some practical advice or suggestions based on their
>experience?
>
>Thanks,
>
>- Alan.

It'll be obvious they're lists because the icon looks differently from
that of a mailbox or a contact.
As for naming conventions I've seen people prefix them with a tilda so
they're bang at the top and people prefix them with a z so they're
right at the bottom. I've seen people leave them alphabetically
arranged.
I've worked for companies who are large, small and in between. The
smallest was 60 users, the largest was 400,000 users. The smaller
company did the arrangement by group because they worked that way a
lot.
It's all horses for courses.
0
mark7219 (5666)

Cell Name
Dear all, How can I retrieve the cell reference? I want to write a function MyFunction which gives the string "B3" when MyFunction() is input in B3 of a worksheet. Thanks in advance! Best Regards, Andy =CELL("address") -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Andy Chan" <chankhandy-msnewsgroup@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message news:43b7ecf2$1@127.0.0.1... > Dear all, > > How can I retrieve the cell reference? I want to write a function > MyFunction which gives the string "B3" when MyF...

what is your name
hiya its me i know who u are and i know where u live ...

Display name is different as my default display name in Exchange 2
Hi guys, Is there a way to force Exchange to chande the display name ??? Here's a exemple: If our web site send a email to someone by relaying on the exchange server.With the following information Sender name: "Sales" Sender email: sales@company.com To: Customer email adress CC: Allan Tox When I receive the copy of the email I want to see my display name of sales@company.com wich is Customer Service Paradox Security and not from Sales... Can you guys have a idea where I have to do my change on the Exchange server ? Thank you for your ...

If-Then logics
Hi, I have a work sheet with numbers in 'Column A'. In 'Column B' I wish to get the following output: If column A is < 3000 then give me '1'; If column B is >5000 then give me '3'; if column A is >3000 but <5000 then give me '2'. Kindly help. Thanks Rumneet "Rum" wrote: > I have a work sheet with numbers in 'Column A'. > In 'Column B' I wish to get the following output: > If column A is < 3000 then give me '1'; > If column B is >5000 then give me '3'; > if...

Bank reconsolidation/Create Outstanding list
Is there a template or macro that can match downloaded bank information with general ledger information exported to excel. Then create an outstanding list and list of discrepancies. Thank you. If your downloaded bank information is in the form of a text or csv fil then both can be imported directly to Excel. Comparison then is relatively easy if both sets of information star with a date field for instance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Sam! It's unlikely that there will be such a template because different banks record the data in different ways. If you can co...

SBS 2003 recipient policies
I set up a couple of policies and I just can't get them to work. I've got the Default plus two more. The other two should be setting up a different email address based on the description field in the user account. The way it looks only the Default policy applies. Is the problem that I changed the domain part of the email address that I want the users to have? yaro yaro137 wrote: > I set up a couple of policies and I just can't get them to work. I've > got the Default plus two more. The other two should be setting up a > different email address based on the...

IF THEN LOGIC
Can you have a cell return a value based on another cell's input. Ex: If I enter the year 2004 in a specific cell then I want another cell to display the date 12/01/03 or some other date or value that I would pre-determine. Hi =IF(A1=2004,DATE(2003,12,1),"") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "flotowntiger" <flotowntiger@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B0DE4A33-E000-4468-AD96-309CE5D16E7D@microsoft.com... > Can you have a cell return a value based on another cell's input. Ex: If I > enter the year 2004 in a specific cel...

IF THEN logic
Sample Data: A B C D E F G CID IID Concerns Interests Contact first timers Identifier TestData 1 1 Building Fellowshi NO U65286929 a 2 4 Tips for Meeting sp b 1 3 Building Opportuniti NO L35069718 a What i want to do is: if column G has an "a" then count column A if it has a 1 in it if column G has an "b" then count column A if it has a 2 in it etc. Seprate the data as first choice and second choice. =SUMPRODUCT(((G2:G200="a&quo...

Updating a form after adding to a list?
Okay, I've got a form for filling in data. One of the fields in the form refers to a table of colors. I've restricted the field so the user can ONLY select a value from that field and I have a number of colors already entered into that table. However, there may be new colors later, so I have command button right on the form that open a small 'colors' form where the user can add a color. The colors form works without a problem, but when the user closes that form, the new color is not immediately available in the new form. I need to close the main form and then reopen it. ...

worksheet name #4
Hello All, is there a formula I can use to place the worksheet name in a cell? I'm looking for something similar to adding [tab] in the header. Thanks in advance ...

Duplicate Table with unique Name
I am using Pervasive.SQL 2000 for a database and GP 6.0. I am trying to duplicate a table in dexterity. I duplicate the resource and give it a unique physical name. I then compile the dictionary and run the ddf generator. I then copy the table intot ehf older on the server and go to pervasive Control Center and the table does not show. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? The table I am duplicatng is RM00103. I am trying to add a copy of the table from backup so that I can run a sql statement to update the existing table from the backup table. Thanks! ...

How many named cells
Hello, In excel 2003, is there a limit to the number of named cells or named ranges you can create? thx there is no real limit that I know of, but things can get a bit slow if you get above 5-10000 names. Charles ______________________ Decision Models FastExcel 2.3 now available Name Manager 4.0 now available www.DecisionModels.com "greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23W9XGH$QHHA.496@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hello, > In excel 2003, > is there a limit to the number of named cells or named ranges you can > create? > > thx > > this ...

how do I name ranges of data in Excel to export to Outlook?
I am trying to import a contact list from excel to outlook. When I try to do it, I get a message that says my spreadsheet has no named ranges, and that I need to name the range of data that I want to import. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! I assume it means you need to put headers on the top of your ranges Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Liz Rava" wrote: > I am trying to import a contact list from excel to outlook. When I try to do > it, I get a message that says my spreadsheet has no named ranges, and that I > need to name the range of data that I want to import. ...

A question of concept/logic
Hello folks, I would really appreciate your help on the programming logic of the following example: Let's say you have an invitees table with Invitees_ID and Invitees_Names Assuming that you have another table this time with Events_ID and _Name. Now I would like to be able to select invitees, some of them, and invite them to q selected event. Which logic should I use: - Make a third table with gathered Invitees_ID and Events_ID? - Make a table for each events' year so that it can last in the future? Any correction/info will be greatly appreciated :) Have a nice day P.S. sorry a...

Macro to delete and recreate range name (say) 10 rows down.
Working in Excel 2000. I want to run a macro that deletes the name created on the previous running of the macro, recreating the name (say) 10 rows down so that the data can auotomatically be entered progressively down the sheet I can't get the "Relative" button in the macro tool bar to work when creating a range name within the macro. It always results in the range name being absolute. I have tried modifying the absolute statement (for example, reading) "RefersToR1c1:= "=Sheet1!R356C5" to the Relative version, "RefersToR1c1:= "=Sheet1!R[+2]C[+1] H...

Chart Object Name
Excel assigns a name to each new chart object on a worksheet as they are created (Chart 1, Chart 2, ...). If a chart is deleted the next chart created is assigned the next sequential number, so if the last chart built was "Chart 7" and you delete it and add another chart, the next chart is assigned "Chart 8." I would like to rename "Chart 8" to "Chart 7." Is there any way to accomplish this? Thanks, LB To manually rename a chart object: 1. Hold the Ctrl key, and click on the chart to select it 2. Click in the Name box, to the left of the form...

Naming ranges as a copy of another sheet
Dear all, There are two sheets X and Y in my workbook. On A, there are hundreds of ranges named locally (i.e. names are like "X!students"). How to write a macro to name the respective areas in Y with the same local name? For example, if X!$A$1:$B$4 is named as "X!students", then I want Y!$A$1:$B$4 to be named as "Y!students". Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Andy Something like: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim wksMstr As Worksheet Dim wksOther As Worksheet Dim nm As Name Dim testRng As Range Dim ExclamPos As Long ...

Distribution Lists Exchange 2003
Hi, We are in the midst of migrating Exchange 5.5 to 2003 Ex server. I have run into the issue of using distribution lists for access to public folders in a mixed mode environment. I had done the research regarding the issue of DLs not being converted to USGs and we are not able to go to Native mode at this time. My question is at what point does access via DL from EX 5.5 stop allowing access to public folders. We have run the AD Connector, installed Ex 2003 but have not moved any mailboxes, and users can still access via DL. I tried recreating a couple of the distribution...

how to send a list of all tasks
I am working with a lot of tasks.(I hope, this is the correct re-translation from German). I want to send all Task - Entries including some fields to my boss on a daily bases. How can I resolve this problem? Thanks for any help or idea Regards Bruno See if any of the ideas on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Bruno" wrote: > I am working with a lot of tasks.(I hop...

change lname, fname to fname last name
I have work sheet with names listed as last name, first name, I would like to have them as just first name last name. Suggestions?? if your data starts in cell A1: =TRIM(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH(",",A1,1)) & " " & LEFT(A1,SEARCH(",",A1,1)-1)) "Al Wills" wrote: > I have work sheet with names listed as last name, first name, I would like to > have them as just first name last name. > > Suggestions?? Hi! Try this: A1 = Smith, John =MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,255)&" "&LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1) R...

Problem with Pick List associated cell
Can anybody help me with this issue. I am trying to select an item from a pick list and be able to automatically copy the adjacent cell value to another cell. Example: This is the pick list PAPER HOLDER - LEVEL I (CHROME) $2.80 TOWEL BAR - 24" LEVEL I (CHROME) $2.80 TOWEL BAR - 18" LEVEL I (CHROME) $2.80 Once I choose the item to fill in another cell location, I want the adjacent price to automatically fill in another cell location as well. One idea, use a formula in a col adjacent to the DV pick list Let's say your pick list as posted is in B2 down You could have this ...

Overriding default SBS 2008 policies
We have an SBS 2008 located at one site of a multi-site network connected via site-to-site VPN tunnels. I added a group policy that explicitly allowed Remote Desktop through the Windows firewall for the three subnets involved. However, the SBS 2008 canned Windows XP Policy lists "localsubnet" only and took precedence over my group policy. This prevented me from making RDP connections across the VPN. I edited the canned policy directly to substitute my own preferences, but will SBS 2008 erase that the next time a wizard is run? Could I get the desired effect in...

Why won't my contacts add to a distribution list?
I imported a lengthy list of email addresses (as a CSV file) into my Contacts folder in Outlook. I intend to add them to a distribution list. When I select them under the "Select Members" box and try to add them to the "Add to distribution list:", the following are the only symbols that show up- ; ; ; ; . And the contacts I imported are not added to the distribution list. Contacts I have manually added to Outlook go into the distribution list very easily. Any suggestions as to how to get those contacts into the distribution list without having to manual...

Rules with logical AND
Hi there, I am using Outlook 2003 - without Exchange I am trying to resend incomming messages differenciated by words in the subject line. Example: message1 subject line: test message2 subject line: test WARNING message3 subject line: test ALARM now I would like to resend the messages: Subject "test" stays in inbox, no resend Subject "test" and "WARNING" resend to xxx@yyy.com Subject "test" and "ALARM" resend also to xxx@yyy.com I can't figure out how to do that with the rule wizard. Any hints from the experts? regards from sunny Vi...

basic System Policy question
If I understand this correctly System Policies are really only useful in cases with multiple information stores (Enterprise version only) so that settings can be set for all of them in one central place. Can settings set in a System Policy be overridden at a lower level like an individual information store itself, or an individual user account? Or do System Policies rule no matter what, no overrides? System Policies are Enforced (No-Override) at Store level or Server level. However, individual user account settings can override Store level setting, including System Policies settings. ...