Licensing of E2K3 / W2K3

Hi all -

I'm getting conflicting (or at least confusing to me) information about =
licensing.  I know this is properly a question for MS, but I'd like to =
have other's opinions and experiences in this area.  And MS seems as =
confused as me.

We currently have Exchange 5.5 running on a W2K box which is also the AD =
DC for the domain.  We understand that it's not a good idea to mix roles =
like that, and we're dealing with it. =20

We will keep the W2K box as the AD DC, and migrate the Exchange role to =
a new box running E2K3Ent on a W2K3 box.  This will be the sole use of =
that new machine.

We currently have (say) 100 CALs on the W2K box to handle domain logins =
for all our users.  We're planning to purchase 100 E2K3 CALs for the new =
box, which will come with W2K3S having the standard 5 CALs.

Now the question: since domain logins are handled by the W2K box, do we =
still need 100 W2K3 CALs for the E2K3 box, just to allow users to access =
Exchange?

Would this answer change if we upgraded the 2K box (and its CALs) to =
2K3?  MS seems to say that there needs to be an equivalent number of =
W2K3 CALs, but don't say if they're allowed to be on separate boxes.

And of course the supplier says "buy a lot of everything just to be =
safe" :-)

Thanks for any insight.

--=20
        Jim
0
jmack (10)

No. Your Windows CALs are either per device or per user (not both). Those
cover all your Windows servers.

--
Thanks,
Brian Desmond

www.briandesmond.com

"Jim Mack" <jmack@mdxi.nospam.com> wrote in message
[...]

:-)

Thanks for any insight.

--
        Jim

0
desmondb (156)
6/20/2005 11:20:36 PM
Brian Desmond [MVP] wrote:
> No. Your Windows CALs are either per device or per user (not both).
> Those cover all your Windows servers.
>=20

Thanks for your prompt response, but... "No?"

Which part of the question does that answer?  I'm not being facetious, I =
really don't know.

So, I should ask a simpler question.  With a 2K ADC, fully licensed, =
will we need additional CALs of the 2K3 variety in order to use the =
setup I've described?

Ok, now I'll be able to understand "No" :-)

--=20
        Jim

> --
> Thanks,
> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
>=20
> www.briandesmond.com
>=20
>=20
> "Jim Mack" <jmack@mdxi.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all -
>=20
> I'm getting conflicting (or at least confusing to me) information
> about licensing.  I know this is properly a question for MS, but I'd
> like to have other's opinions and experiences in this area.  And MS
> seems as confused as me.
>=20
> We currently have Exchange 5.5 running on a W2K box which is also the
> AD DC for the domain.  We understand that it's not a good idea to mix
> roles like that, and we're dealing with it.
>=20
> We will keep the W2K box as the AD DC, and migrate the Exchange role
> to a new box running E2K3Ent on a W2K3 box.  This will be the sole
> use of that new machine.
>=20
> We currently have (say) 100 CALs on the W2K box to handle domain
> logins for all our users.  We're planning to purchase 100 E2K3 CALs
> for the new box, which will come with W2K3S having the standard 5
> CALs.=20
>=20
> Now the question: since domain logins are handled by the W2K box, do
> we still need 100 W2K3 CALs for the E2K3 box, just to allow users to
> access Exchange?
>=20
> Would this answer change if we upgraded the 2K box (and its CALs) to
> 2K3? MS seems to say that there needs to be an equivalent number of
> W2K3 CALs, but don't say if they're allowed to be on separate boxes.
>=20
> And of course the supplier says "buy a lot of everything just to be
> safe" :-)
>=20
> Thanks for any insight.
0
jmack (10)
6/20/2005 11:56:03 PM
No. Your CALs cover all your windows servers, so, if you have 20 device
cals, you can have 20 devices access all your windows servers.

--

Brian Desmond [MVP] wrote:
> No. Your Windows CALs are either per device or per user (not both).
> Those cover all your Windows servers.

Thanks for your prompt response, but... "No?"

Which part of the question does that answer?  I'm not being facetious, I
really don't know.

So, I should ask a simpler question.  With a 2K ADC, fully licensed, will we
need additional CALs of the 2K3 variety in order to use the setup I've
described?

Ok, now I'll be able to understand "No" :-)

--
        Jim

> --
> Thanks,
> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
>
> www.briandesmond.com
>

> "Jim Mack" <jmack@mdxi.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all -
>
> I'm getting conflicting (or at least confusing to me) information
> about licensing.  I know this is properly a question for MS, but I'd
> like to have other's opinions and experiences in this area.  And MS
> seems as confused as me.
>
> We currently have Exchange 5.5 running on a W2K box which is also the
> AD DC for the domain.  We understand that it's not a good idea to mix
> roles like that, and we're dealing with it.
>
> We will keep the W2K box as the AD DC, and migrate the Exchange role
> to a new box running E2K3Ent on a W2K3 box.  This will be the sole
> use of that new machine.
>
> We currently have (say) 100 CALs on the W2K box to handle domain
> logins for all our users.  We're planning to purchase 100 E2K3 CALs
> for the new box, which will come with W2K3S having the standard 5
> CALs.
>
> Now the question: since domain logins are handled by the W2K box, do
> we still need 100 W2K3 CALs for the E2K3 box, just to allow users to
> access Exchange?
>
> Would this answer change if we upgraded the 2K box (and its CALs) to
> 2K3? MS seems to say that there needs to be an equivalent number of
> W2K3 CALs, but don't say if they're allowed to be on separate boxes.
>
> And of course the supplier says "buy a lot of everything just to be
> safe" :-)
>
> Thanks for any insight.

0
desmondb (156)
6/21/2005 4:22:58 AM
To answer your question of Windows 2003 CALS, Yes, you will need as many
Windows 2003 User or Device CALS as Exchange CALS.  You cannot access a
Windows 2003 Server with 2000 CALS and be legal.  CALS are not Server
dependent in your domain like Per Server is in licensing, so 100 CALS would
allow you access to as many servers as you want but for only 100 Users or
Devices depending on your licensing.

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

[...]

jcoliverjr (1013)
6/21/2005 7:28:13 PM
John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] wrote:
> To answer your question of Windows 2003 CALS, Yes, you will need as
> many Windows 2003 User or Device CALS as Exchange CALS.  You cannot
> access a Windows 2003 Server with 2000 CALS and be legal.  CALS are
> not Server dependent in your domain like Per Server is in licensing,
> so 100 CALS would allow you access to as many servers as you want but
> for only 100 Users or Devices depending on your licensing.
>=20

Thanks, John.  Let me re-ask the second part of the question again: does =
this change if the ADC, separate from the Exchange server, is running =
2K3 server?

In that scenario we would have a 2K3 domain, with 100 server CALs on the =
ADC, and a 2K3 server with its stock 5 CALS, hosting E2K3 with 100 =
Exchange CALs on it.

Is this sufficient?

--=20
        Jim

> --
> John Oliver, Jr.
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>=20

> Hi all -
>=20
> I'm getting conflicting (or at least confusing to me) information
> about licensing.  I know this is properly a question for MS, but I'd
> like to have other's opinions and experiences in this area.  And MS
> seems as confused as me.
>=20
> We currently have Exchange 5.5 running on a W2K box which is also the
> AD DC for the domain.  We understand that it's not a good idea to mix
> roles like that, and we're dealing with it.
>=20
> We will keep the W2K box as the AD DC, and migrate the Exchange role
> to a new box running E2K3Ent on a W2K3 box.  This will be the sole
> use of that new machine.
>=20
> We currently have (say) 100 CALs on the W2K box to handle domain
> logins for all our users.  We're planning to purchase 100 E2K3 CALs
> for the new box, which will come with W2K3S having the standard 5
> CALs.=20
>=20
> Now the question: since domain logins are handled by the W2K box, do
> we still need 100 W2K3 CALs for the E2K3 box, just to allow users to
> access Exchange?
>=20
> Would this answer change if we upgraded the 2K box (and its CALs) to
> 2K3? MS seems to say that there needs to be an equivalent number of
> W2K3 CALs, but don't say if they're allowed to be on separate boxes.
>=20
> And of course the supplier says "buy a lot of everything just to be
> safe" :-)
>=20
> Thanks for any insight.
0
jmack (10)
6/21/2005 8:16:10 PM
Does not matter.  You are still accessing Exchange 2003 through ADC which
constitutes a connection to server, hence you will need your Windows 2003
CALS and Exchange 2003 CALS.  Confusion arises when you have a mixed 2000
and 2003 domain.

Example, you can have 50 Windows 2000 Servers and 1 Windows 2003 Server, any
device or user which acess the 2003 server will need the appropriate CALS.
If ony 5 devices or users then only 5 2003 CALS.  The only difference is if
you run 2003 Applications such as Exchange 2003 or Sharepoint 2003 which
require their own CALS in addtion to the Windows CAL.

Now, lets say you move all your Printers to the 2003 Server in this
scenario.  Now every user or device would need to have a Windows 2003 CAL.
Hope this makes sense.

--

John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] wrote:
> To answer your question of Windows 2003 CALS, Yes, you will need as
> many Windows 2003 User or Device CALS as Exchange CALS.  You cannot
> access a Windows 2003 Server with 2000 CALS and be legal.  CALS are
> not Server dependent in your domain like Per Server is in licensing,
> so 100 CALS would allow you access to as many servers as you want but
> for only 100 Users or Devices depending on your licensing.

Thanks, John.  Let me re-ask the second part of the question again: does
this change if the ADC, separate from the Exchange server, is running 2K3
server?

In that scenario we would have a 2K3 domain, with 100 server CALs on the
ADC, and a 2K3 server with its stock 5 CALS, hosting E2K3 with 100 Exchange
CALs on it.

Is this sufficient?

--
        Jim

> --
> John Oliver, Jr.
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>

> Hi all -
>
> I'm getting conflicting (or at least confusing to me) information
> about licensing.  I know this is properly a question for MS, but I'd
> like to have other's opinions and experiences in this area.  And MS
> seems as confused as me.
>
> We currently have Exchange 5.5 running on a W2K box which is also the
> AD DC for the domain.  We understand that it's not a good idea to mix
> roles like that, and we're dealing with it.
>
> We will keep the W2K box as the AD DC, and migrate the Exchange role
> to a new box running E2K3Ent on a W2K3 box.  This will be the sole
> use of that new machine.
>
> We currently have (say) 100 CALs on the W2K box to handle domain
> logins for all our users.  We're planning to purchase 100 E2K3 CALs
> for the new box, which will come with W2K3S having the standard 5
> CALs.
>
> Now the question: since domain logins are handled by the W2K box, do
> we still need 100 W2K3 CALs for the E2K3 box, just to allow users to
> access Exchange?
>
> Would this answer change if we upgraded the 2K box (and its CALs) to
> 2K3? MS seems to say that there needs to be an equivalent number of
> W2K3 CALs, but don't say if they're allowed to be on separate boxes.
>
> And of course the supplier says "buy a lot of everything just to be
> safe" :-)
>
> Thanks for any insight.

0
jcoliverjr (1013)

License Question: clarification of "non-commercial use" for Office

Does admin take up 1 license
Hello. CRM comes with 5 CAL's Does one of these need to get used by the administrator of the Server? who would like do administrate CRM? Or does CRM have a built in administrator account? Not necessarily...only if you want the administrator to have access to MSCRM data. The administrator that installs MSCRM gets a special license that allows them to open the MS CRM deployment manager, and the client, and perform basic administrative tasks. However, without a full license, they won't be able to view data. Mike "dicklexick" <dicklexick@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

LICENSE
I HAVE RMS POS 1.2 AND WHEN I RING UP A SALE AFTER I TENDER IT I GET THERE WAS A PROBLEM READING YOUR LICENSE FILE (INVALID CHARACTER IN A BASE-64 STRING) I CAN ENTER THROUGH BUT IT IS VERY ANNOYING ANY IDEAS? ...

Problem freeing up license
I disabled a user before I removed their license. Now, although they don't show up in CRM under Users, they still take up a license, and they still show up in Deployment Manager. How do I free up that license? I know there is a procedure if you've removed them from AD before CRM, but I haven't removed this user from AD. On the plus side, I now know how to correctly disable a user. Thanks! Hello, Goto Settings, Business Unit Settings, Users. Then select "Disabled Users" from the View: dropdown in the upper right corner. You can now see the disabled user. You can...

Dongle and licenses
I am looking into purchasing the RMS 1.3 software for my business, but I have a few technical questions that need answered so I don't make any major mistakes along the way. I am going to purchase the software from an online retailer and do the customization myself, as I am good with SQL and client/server setups and feel that this challenge would be satisfying and fun; therefore, I won't work with a local partner. That said, here are my questions: 1.) Let's say at first I purchase 1 lane. I understand that I get 1 dongle that must be on the computer that starts the POS modul...

please verify that you have enough Crystal licenses 01-12-05
I got this message please verify that you have enough Crystal licenses , found two solutions and none of them worked. 1. Restarting the Crystal Services 2. Putting Authenticated Users and Interactive to Users under Built'in section of ADUsers and Computers They didn't work. I still got the same message when I try to see a report. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Abdullah If you can get to it, https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875086 is the answer, but here's a short synopsis: Resolution 1 - Many errors can be solved by s...

Convert retail license to volume license
Hi Guys, Just installed a new terminal server for one of our clients and went to put Office 2007 Professional (retail) on it but it says that this version does not work with terminal services :( Upon looking into this, it seems that we need the volume license version for it to work - so my question is: is there any way we can convert our existing retail licenses (we have about 10) to a volume license edition that will work on the TS server (and will it cost anything?) ? I also read somewhere that it has to be the Enterprise edition of Office 2007 as well but is that true? Se...

License key not accepted
Hi everyone; I don't know why after installing CRM, I enter the key given for MSDN users is not accepted by CRM and gives me a "not valid key" response? any ideas appreciated. thanks, Farshad You need to use "MSDN Subscriber" as the org name to use that key. "farshad" <farshad@seancesoft.com> wrote in message news:0e4201c36ced$57d1ebd0$a001280a@phx.gbl... Hi everyone; I don't know why after installing CRM, I enter the key given for MSDN users is not accepted by CRM and gives me a "not valid key" response? any ideas appreciated. than...

Swapping Computers, Lost License Key
We have a client that wants to upgrade to a newer POS system. They have lost their license key, is there any way to recover the key from the current POS system to reuse on its replacement? ...

Can't remove license from user
I get an error message when I try to remove a license from a user "the selected object could not be found. Verify that the object exists in both the database and active directory" The user does still have an active directory account and I don't know where to find it in the database If anyone can help, I am sure I am not the only one with this issue look for a post made at 4.04pm in this news group, explains it all. "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:118DF4C6-24F5-4D65-9C36-93563DBC1301@microsoft.com... > I get an error mess...

HQ & License Upgrade
Can you help. My customer (Too Hot) are adding another workstation at their location. They will need a single user license and 1 HQ to the ones they are already have. The store currently has 3 POS stations and they want to add one more and have it linked to their current HQ. Please advise on the correct solution and what our cost would be. Tracey Pilkey, MCSS Account Manager Kirk Information Solutions & Services PO Box 1637GT Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands BWI (345) 914-4738 direct (345) 949-8122 fax (345) 326-2258 cellular tpilkey@kirkiss.ky ...

2006 deluxe license
I purchased money 2006 deluxe last year and remeber there was a sticker on the outside of the package that said how many computers I could install the product on. My laptop broke and I would like to install it on my new laptop, but since I have lost the sticker, I don't know if that is possible. My computer came with the OEM version, and I don't want to lose that in case the license is not valid. How do I find out the license terms? http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/ does not have money 2006. The license restrictions at the web site you reference for 2005 are i...

Licensed To Who?
Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out how to change the "licensed to" name (the name that appears when you click Help > About Microsoft Excel). It's listed under the "This product is licensed to" heading. Some of the users did not input their name and it is becoming a problem when they add comments to a worksheet because it doesn't show who put the comment--just a blank "" or "Preferred Customer". Any ideas? When I click Help > Activate Product it says "This product has already been activated" so that's not it (even t...

license
Greetings. I need to include license capabilities into my application. In addition, need to implement (or use) some sort of license manager. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance John There are number of open source components around that handle licensing, I'd suggest a google search. The one thing that won't work is trying to invent your own. joe On Tue, 27 May 2008 14:50:31 -0500, John Mosso <alexander.mosso@nekotectelecom.com> wrote: >Greetings. >I need to include license capabilities into my application. >In addition, need to implement (or use) some sort of li...

User license vs. Server license
Hi there I have a question regarding the relatively complex licensing system in Microsoft CRM. Case: A company purchases Sales professional Server license and a few Sales Professional user license to go with that. Later they realize that Service Module functionality is needed so they decide to purchase Suite Professional Server license (new deployment of course). But still most users still only need Sales Professional license, a few would need would need Service Professional and some Suite Professional. Possible user license combinations with Suite Professional Server deployment, being Sa...

CRM 3.0 license question
We are developing a screen pop that will have specific views for specific users. The data is coming from MS CRM 3.0, Axapta and GP. We will not be writing to the MS CRM 3.0 Database. So my question is do we need to buy a CAL? thanks, You may want to get more official answer on this but it is my understanding that any custom app that presents CRM data to a user would require a license... "John" wrote: > We are developing a screen pop that will have specific views for specific > users. The data is coming from MS CRM 3.0, Axapta and GP. We will not be > writ...

CRM licenses gone
I've read the various posts about authentication issues causing the deployment manager to be empty; no licenses, or users. Our CRM installation was running just fine until this morning it suddenly returned authentication errors for all users. I've checked everything over and NOTHING was changed on either the CRM box, or the off-box SQL Server. If I login to the CRM box as my domain user account (admin on the CRM box) I get an empty deployment manager. If I login as the local admin account (the account used to install CRM), I get an error saying SQL Server is unavailable. Th...

Shared AD user- Licensing
For infrequent, web-only users, is it possible to create a single AD user, called CRMShare (or something similar), then let the infrequent users utilize this single AD logon to interact with CRM? I understand the security ramifications of taking this approach, but want to know if this is acceptable as a "security trade-off", or if it is in direct violation of the EULA. TIA -Rob when dealing with MS, the ole rule of thumb: when in doubt, you're violating the EULA..... call MBS, i doubt they'll charge you for such a question, better than asking people here... -gary &q...

How to control license in Groove 2007?
I can do it in Groove 3.1 and want to upgrade it now. Can anyone tell me how to control it in Groove 2007? They don't have a place for me to log in like 3.1 version Try posting this to the microsoft.public.groove newsgroup On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.groove -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Gordon" <Gordon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:426F43B8-411F-4633-A95F-...

Crystal report logon error, please verify that you have enough licenses
Hi, I have a problem with CRM Crystal reports 9. I am not able to access reports in CRM. When i am trying to access reports, I am getting the following error. "Crystal report logon error, please verify that you have enough licenses." APS service is unable to start in default port (6400). If i change the port APS is running successfully. still i am not able to access reports in CRM and getting the same error. Please help me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance. Regards, Ravi Chander ...

Driver License MSR Swipe to retrive a returning customer
Can a driver license swipe (Magnetic Stipe) using the MSR to retrieve the returning customer record. Similar to a credit card swipe for EDC. My customer saw this feature running on Retail Pro (competitor's product) and wants to use this feature in RMS Store operations. Please review and let me know if this featured is planned for the next release of RMS, or what would be the cost for a software modification to support this feature. Thank you, Shlomi ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote ...

Moving license to a new computer

License (Register Lines)
Part One - I'm looking into purchasing RMS. I will have only one register. But would like to access all information from 3 other points within my office, (Back Office, PDA, and a Tablet PC), which would all access the data on a Server. Is this Possible, and which server features should I make sure to include, and how many licenses do I need of RMS. Part Two - Are there features in RMS that I can use with a PDA, without purchase more Licenses. I would like to use a PDA to do inventory and create purchase orders. Thank you Steven. Steven, Part 1 RMS is licensed by Lane, therefor yo...

Convert Office License into Open license?
Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to take Microsoft Office Licenses (2003 or 2007) and convert them into an open license packagae. I.E. - We have 40 installations of Microsoft Office Professional each with their own license. We want to purchase 10 new computers with Office and have those 10 be on an open license - can we convert the previous 40 for a total of 50 open licenses, with the ability to add more down the line? You'll need to check directly with Microsoft about that. Start here: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/ "Designer" <Designer@discussi...

License Problem
I have networked two macs and purchased and installed two copies of Office:Mac (2004). I now find that my second mac is reading the license info off the first one and not allowing me access on the second one. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software on the second mac at least a dozen times, then discovered Microsoft's instructions "Error message when you try to start an Office 2004 for Mac program: "Microsoft Office 2004 is already in use". So I followed those instructions at least a dozen times to remove the Office 2004 for Mac licensing information and it has not...