Launching Outlook Address Book (GAL) from an external application

I'm using an application, HEAT Call Logging, that allows me to add new
buttons and have those buttons launch external applications with
associated parameters. For example, I've added a new button in HEAT
Call Logging which when clicked opens a new mail message. I accomplish
this with the following command-line argument:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe  /c ipm.note

I'd like to create a similar action which duplicates the exact
functionality of clicking the Address Book button from within Outlook.
By default, that button brings up our Global Address List.

Is there a command-line solution to launch the Global Address List
outside of Outlook or perhaps someone has already written some VBA glue
to accomplish this? I've been searching USENET and Microsoft.com to no
avail and any insight is appreciated.

"zenskydiving@yahoo.com" wrote:

> I'm using an application, HEAT Call Logging, that allows me to add new
> buttons and have those buttons launch external applications with
> associated parameters. For example, I've added a new button in HEAT
> Call Logging which when clicked opens a new mail message. I accomplish
> this with the following command-line argument:
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe  /c ipm.note
>
> I'd like to create a similar action which duplicates the exact
> functionality of clicking the Address Book button from within Outlook.
> By default, that button brings up our Global Address List.
>
> Is there a command-line solution to launch the Global Address List
> outside of Outlook or perhaps someone has already written some VBA glue
> to accomplish this? I've been searching USENET and Microsoft.com to no
> avail and any insight is appreciated.

I would imagine it has to be done through VB code.  You might check
http://www.freevbcode.com/ to see if anyone has tackled the problem.  Google
also said http://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/imige.htm.  Perhaps set that
program up to run on a schedule every so often to update the exported GAL
file so that when the users click the button, they get a current version?

Expost Outlook PST file to Outlook 2002 PST file
I have a customer who has bought a copy of Office 2003 which he has now decided he doesn't like!! He has asked me to return his system to his old Office XP Professional. No problem except for one thing - I exported his PST file from Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5703) and tried to import it toOutlook 2002 (10.2627.2625) and the result was that Outlook 2002 doesn't recognise the format of the Outlook 2003 PST file! My customer isn't impressed!! Does nyone any ideas on how I can either export the file in a format that will be recognised AND keep all his folders and messages where t...

Outlook 2007 wont open
Using Win7 and Office 2007, outlook 2007. When i open outlook it starts to open and then I get a popup that says "Cannot start Microsoft oulook. Cannot open the outlook window" Did a restore from an earlyer time but that did'nt work. -- ---------------------------------------------------- This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com Never mind I found this and it worked. Start->run..then type the following -> "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane" -- -----------------------------...

slow launch
My work laptop is becoming almost unbearable lately. After logon the wallpaper appears immediately but the Taskbar and Desktop icons take fully three minutes before they even appear! Add another two or more minutes for the disk activity to slow down and it can take me at least five minutes after logon to be able to open any application. During this time the disk activity LED is essentially solid on, so something is happening in the background. After everything stops the laptop acts normally and is not slow during use. There is one application, FreeCommander, that once launched ta...

Outlook 2007 Clear type
Is there a way to turn off the clear type in Outlook 2007? -- Thank you, John Gregory ...

Outlook notification of new mail. #2
The notification works for new messages to Inbox, but fails to display the icon when the message is automatically moved to a subfolder based on a rule. A quick look in Google seems to to suggest that this is something that has been deliberately changed from Outlook XP. Is there any work around for the above so that a notification does show when the new mail is sent to another folder when using a rule? ...

How do you do this in the latest Outlook versions?
I used to be able to create an outlook object, take rich text from the rich text control and put it in an outlook message and send it. In the latest versions of outlook, it doesn't interpret the text as rich text. What am I missing? Thanks!!!!!!!! Bob Bartel MarketWare Can you provide exact steps to reproduce the issue? I don't know what you mean by "take rich text from the rich text control." -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpsta...

Custom Address Lists / Creating an LDAP query in Active Directory Users and Computers
Pardon the cross posting but I have scoured the Exchange and the Windows newsgroups with no success. Windows Server 2003 (and XP) has a folder called Saved Queries in Active Directory Users and Computers. I want to create custom queries in this container for use both in ADUC and Exchange for custom Address lists. There has GOT to be something out there that documents a few generic uses of creating custom LDAP queries. Where can I find it? From the simplest goal; I need to select all users in a certain security group. To the more complicated use for Exchange; All users with Exchange mailbox...

Outlook Macros #2
I got a message via Visual Basic stating that I needed to enable macros every time I replied to an email. My trusty Microsoft Outlook XP Inside Out book didn't help with this problem, unless I missed it. Any suggestions? Nick ...

Adding a CRM contact from Outlook toolbar
For some reason, the CRM Contact button on the toolbar in Outlook is not working. All other buttons work, I seem to be able to create emails, appointments and tasks but I cannot create a contact. Any ideas? Thanks! Krista Try the following in Outlook: Tool menu >> Options >> Other >> Advance Options >> Custom Forms... >> Manage Forms... >> Select "CRM Contact" and click on "Clear Cache" Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com San Francisco, CA >-----Original Message----- >For some reason, the CRM Contact but...

Alternative to Outlook
We need an alternative to Outlook. I am seeking a hosted solution that has the ability to, at a minimum, to mail merge. Please help with your suggestions. Thank you in advance! > We need an alternative to Outlook. I am seeking a hosted solution that > has the ability to, at a minimum, to mail merge. Please help with your > suggestions. Thank you in advance! Perhaps a list of why Outlook is not acceptable, it would assist in trying to help you find an acceptable solution. Not to mention why type of mail server you're actually planning on connecting to. Tho, one has to ask... ...

Outlook 2003 News command disappears
Since I first posted I tried all of the earlier suggestions I have found by searching. They work only until I close the newsreader. When I restart Outlook, the News button again calls up a folder from Program Files, then the button disappears. And Internet Options > Programs never gives me the option of selecting anything but Outlook Express as the default newsreader. This is a bug. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader t...

what happens with my outlook
I already asked for your help with my outlook 2000, and I need more. I told you that I didn't have the option "automatic send/receive" in my tools->options. Now I have lost a lot of contacts and emails, I went to help, and they say to recover lost info to go to tools-> recover deleted items..... which I don't have either ! what happens with my version ? I went to office 2000, and made all the updates up to SP3. Can you help ? Thanks Are you using Exchange server? That is required for recovering deleted items. Try right-clicking on your menu in Outlook, select C...

Outlook 2000 won't close "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook exits" on exit
Some of my users are getting the "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook exits" popup when they try to close Outlook 2000, or log out of Windows. We are running Windows NT4 SP6a with current security hotfixes, and Outlook 2000 SP1. Installing Office 2000 SP3 didn't help, and I cannot find any hotfix on Technet. Can anyone suggest what I can do to resolve this problem? ...

outlook bug with attached message #2
I have recently tripped over a bug in outlook 2003 sp1. Here is how I duplicate the issue. a) Creat a new task item. b) drag and drop an email message into the task note area c) left click, hold and drag the message, and then release mouse button. d) now the attached message appears like an image with the small black square handles in corners and on sides. At this point, I can no longer double click, or right click to open the attached message. Once this occurs, the message I dropped into the task is no longer available. It seems that the link to the message gets destroyed and now I ...

MFC to launch MsDev
I am running MsDev 7.1 I would like to from a MFC project use automation to launch MsDev then load a text file etc... The problem is that when I use the 'Add Class' and select 'MFC Class from Typelib' and then choose 'Microsoft Development Environment 7.0' type library I cannot determine what interface to generate the class for. There is no _Application interface or similar like there is for each of the Office applications. MSDN documentation regarding MsDev automation has not been updated (shame!), and I am at a loss. Ideas? - Marty ...

IMCEAEX addresses in the "messages with an unreachable destination" queue
Hi, I have one EX2003 server in our org with some messages ending up in the "messages with an unreachable destination" queue. The messages are internal to this server only. Its the usual IMCEAEX format - SMTP:IMCEAex-_O=MPI_OU=BRUSSELS_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=IreneF@localmail.mpi.loca The users mailboxes were being migrated from EX55 to 2003 but the migration was scrapped as the 5.5 box died before it could be completed. Exchange attributes for the user accounts were removed and the mails were then exmerged from a recovery server to the new 2003 server. This only affects a small amount ...

Strange Things Happening With Outlook 2003 Under WinXP Pro SP2
After saving all important files from my hard disk, I had to format my hard Drive and reinstall a fresh copy of WindowsXP Pro, Office 2003, etc. I had saved my Outlook.pst file beforehand and then copied it back to the same directory where it had been beforehand. When I opened Outlook, my Contacts opened up just fine. However, when I try to send e-mail, Outlook 2003 won't permit access to my Contacts to get e-mail addresses; I get some error saying I don't have permissions or whatever. Today, Instead of e-mail messages in my inbox, I have a group headed up "None" w...

Converting 97 Outlook Notes to Outlook 2003
Help! Where have our notes gone? We've just converted from Outlook 97 to Outlook 2003 and all of our notes disappeared. Where did they go and how do I get them to convert to 2003?? Thanks! ...

Outlook Signatures #3
Hi all, I would be most grateful if somebody could advise me on a particular problem. A client of mine has asked whether it is possible to include an attachment with an outlook signature (i.e. they want to send a word document with all mail). They are using an Exchange 2000 Server with Outlook XP. Does anyone know if this is possible or is there any 3rd party software that will do this? Kind regards, Simon Evans Qualinet Solutions Ltd www.qualinetsolutions.com Instead of sending attachments it's better to include an URL to the location of the file. Sending the same attachmen...

Outlook 2000 #37
When I recieve a message with an attachment, outlook used to prompt me to save it or to open it. Now it opens it automaticly when you click on it. Is there a way to put it back(get prompt)? ...

Outlook Update
Hello, Do I need to make Outlook 2000 updates? If so, please can you tell me why I'm having this error while I'm trying to update: You need to create or enlist a Customer Manager Database before you can use this feature. Thanks in advance. foxy291 <foxy291@msn.com> wrote: > Do I need to make Outlook 2000 updates? What update do you wish to install? > If so, please can you tell me why I'm having this error while I'm > trying to update: You need to create or enlist a Customer Manager > Database before you can use this feature. That sounds like the Bu...

Tracking meeting request responses in Outlook
I have cross posted this to the Access-General, Outlook-General, and Outlook-programming-vba news groups to expand my pool of expertise. I have a co-worker that wants to be able to print out the list of invitees and threir responses to a meeting request (what is visible when you select the "Show - Tracking" ribbon option in 2007. We cannot figure out a way to print or even copy this info. He has more than two pages of invitees, and would prefer not to do a screen print. Any ideas? Is this information visibile from within VBA? I linked my calendar to an Access ...

Microsoft Outlook #28
I misspelt my name on installing Microsoft Outlook, and I need to change two letters and delete one. How do I do this?? Graham ...

Outlook #277
Hi All, does anyone know you we can disable the following message to come up: A program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf. Do you want to allow this? If it is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No". Thanks Henk These prompts are from the Outlook Email Security Updates contained in all current versions of Outlook and in all Service Packs after SP1 for Outlook 2000. These updates add additional actions to the list of those that are blocked from accessing the Outlook Address Book. Antivirus and antispam add-ins are a common cause and oth...

Multiple Calendars appearing on Outlook Today
I have a separate calendar for my uni studies to my default calendar. How do I get the uni calendar details to appear on Outlook Today with my default calendar details? "Matt Dunne" <Matt Dunne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AB219B9-1B8B-4475-B625-08B072C43E9D@microsoft.com... >I have a separate calendar for my uni studies to my default calendar. > > How do I get the uni calendar details to appear on Outlook Today with my > default calendar details? You'll need to write your own Outlook Today web page. -- Brian Tillman [M...