Keep email on server after downloading to exchange

We have an exchange server

Our email comes in via our web site host.
It is automatiucally erased from our host when it comes through to our server.

We want to leave the messages on the web host server for 7 - 14 days but
cannot find out how to adjust this setting on our server.

Please help!

Hugh
0
Janus (4)

which version of exchange do you have

"Hugh Janus" wrote:

> We have an exchange server
>
> Our email comes in via our web site host.
> It is automatiucally erased from our host when it comes through to our server.
>
> We want to leave the messages on the web host server for 7 - 14 days but
> cannot find out how to adjust this setting on our server.
>
> Please help!
>
> Hugh
Are you using Small Business Server?  If not, what software are you using to
pull mail off the web server?  I'm assuming it is some type of POP3 client
that pulls mail off the web server and puts it in the user's mailbox.

--
Jim McBee
Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

"Hugh Janus" <Hugh Janus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have an exchange server
>
> Our email comes in via our web site host.
> It is automatiucally erased from our host when it comes through to our
> server.
>
> We want to leave the messages on the web host server for 7 - 14 days but
> cannot find out how to adjust this setting on our server.
>
> Please help!
>
> Hugh

0
jmcbee9404 (625)
7/14/2006 6:47:41 AM
Graig
We are using Microsoft Exchange 2003, version 6.5

Hugh

"Craig from Huguenot" wrote:

> which version of exchange do you have
>
> "Hugh Janus" wrote:
>
> > We have an exchange server
> >
> > Our email comes in via our web site host.
> > It is automatiucally erased from our host when it comes through to our server.
> >
> > We want to leave the messages on the web host server for 7 - 14 days but
> > cannot find out how to adjust this setting on our server.
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > Hugh
0
HughJanus (5)
7/17/2006 9:05:01 AM
Jim

"Jim McBee (MVP - Exchange)" wrote:

> Are you using Small Business Server?  If not, what software are you using to
> pull mail off the web server?  I'm assuming it is some type of POP3 client
> that pulls mail off the web server and puts it in the user's mailbox.
>
> --
> Jim McBee
> Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
>

> "Hugh Janus" <Hugh Janus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have an exchange server
> >
> > Our email comes in via our web site host.
> > It is automatiucally erased from our host when it comes through to our
> > server.
> >
> > We want to leave the messages on the web host server for 7 - 14 days but
> > cannot find out how to adjust this setting on our server.
> >
> > Please help!
> >
> > Hugh

0
HughJanus (5)
7/17/2006 9:06:02 AM
Can you help?

Hugh

"Hugh Janus" wrote:

> Graig
> We are using Microsoft Exchange 2003, version 6.5
>
> Hugh
>
> "Craig from Huguenot" wrote:
>
> > which version of exchange do you have
> >
> > "Hugh Janus" wrote:
> >
> > > We have an exchange server
> > >
> > > Our email comes in via our web site host.
> > > It is automatiucally erased from our host when it comes through to our server.
> > >
> > > We want to leave the messages on the web host server for 7 - 14 days but
> > > cannot find out how to adjust this setting on our server.
> > >
> > > Please help!
> > >
> > > Hugh
0
HughJanus (5)
7/19/2006 1:11:01 AM
Microsoft Exchange 2003 does not have a method of "downloading" mail to
Exchange.  Exchange 2003 supports SMTP, with which other servers send mail
to your server.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Jim
> We are using Microsoft Exchange 2003, version 6.5
>
> Hugh
>
> "Jim McBee (MVP - Exchange)" wrote:
>
>> Are you using Small Business Server?  If not, what software are you using
>> pull mail off the web server?  I'm assuming it is some type of POP3
>> client
>> that pulls mail off the web server and puts it in the user's mailbox.
>>
>> --
>> Jim McBee
>> Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
>>

>> "Hugh Janus" <Hugh Janus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have an exchange server
>> >
>> > Our email comes in via our web site host.
>> > It is automatiucally erased from our host when it comes through to our
>> > server.
>> >
>> > We want to leave the messages on the web host server for 7 - 14 days
>> > but
>> > cannot find out how to adjust this setting on our server.
>> >
>> > Please help!
>> >
>> > Hugh

0
curspice6401 (3487)
7/20/2006 11:14:28 PM
Can anyone help me?
This must be so simple.

High
0
HughJanus (5)
7/21/2006 2:27:01 AM
Hugh Janus <HughJanus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone help me?
>This must be so simple.

It may be, but you're looking at the wrong end of things. Exchange
(which you refer to as "our server", I think) is receiving the
messages, but it's not the agent that's interacting with the messages
on "our host".

You haven't been very clear about how the mail gets from "our host" to
"our server".

If "our host" uses SMTP to send the mail to "our server" then the
means to keep the messages on "our host" will be found on "our host".
Some form of message archiving would be my guess. That may be as
simple as a "tee" command in the mail delivery mechanism, or it may be
something else, but I don't think anyone here can help with that.

If "our host" puts the messages it receives into a mailbox and you use
some form of e-mail client to read the messages and resend them to
"our server" then the means of preserving the messages in the mailbox
on "our host" will be found in the client software configuration. But
nobody knows what you're using to do that (if that's what you're
doing).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

When travelling, we can log onto the ECN server but there are no emails as
they are erased when they go through to our MS EX server.

We have spoken to ECN who say it is a setting in our MS EX server and
nothing to do with them.

We cannot locate anything on our softare to adjust to change this ti allow
messages to remian on the server.

Hope that makes things clearer as I still do not know what to do.

Hugh

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> Hugh Janus <HughJanus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone help me?
> >This must be so simple.
>
> It may be, but you're looking at the wrong end of things. Exchange
> (which you refer to as "our server", I think) is receiving the
> messages, but it's not the agent that's interacting with the messages
> on "our host".
>
> You haven't been very clear about how the mail gets from "our host" to
> "our server".
>
> If "our host" uses SMTP to send the mail to "our server" then the
> means to keep the messages on "our host" will be found on "our host".
> Some form of message archiving would be my guess. That may be as
> simple as a "tee" command in the mail delivery mechanism, or it may be
> something else, but I don't think anyone here can help with that.
>
> If "our host" puts the messages it receives into a mailbox and you use
> some form of e-mail client to read the messages and resend them to
> "our server" then the means of preserving the messages in the mailbox
> on "our host" will be found in the client software configuration. But
> nobody knows what you're using to do that (if that's what you're
> doing).
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
HughJanus (5)
7/22/2006 1:17:02 AM
Stop doing things that way.  Have your mail sent to Exchange via SMTP and
use a VPN or RPC-over-HTTPS for your remote users to retrieve their mail.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Ricj
> Thanks
> Suppose it is vague.
> Our web site is hosted by ECN and that includes 15 mail boxes.
> Emails that come in are downloaded and erasesd almost immediately as they
> pass through to our MS Exchage server based in our office. This server
> then
> distributes the emails to the individual within the Company.
>
> When travelling, we can log onto the ECN server but there are no emails as
> they are erased when they go through to our MS EX server.
>
> We have spoken to ECN who say it is a setting in our MS EX server and
> nothing to do with them.
>
> We cannot locate anything on our softare to adjust to change this ti allow
> messages to remian on the server.
>
> Hope that makes things clearer as I still do not know what to do.
>
> Hugh
>
> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hugh Janus <HughJanus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Can anyone help me?
>> >This must be so simple.
>>
>> It may be, but you're looking at the wrong end of things. Exchange
>> (which you refer to as "our server", I think) is receiving the
>> messages, but it's not the agent that's interacting with the messages
>> on "our host".
>>
>> You haven't been very clear about how the mail gets from "our host" to
>> "our server".
>>
>> If "our host" uses SMTP to send the mail to "our server" then the
>> means to keep the messages on "our host" will be found on "our host".
>> Some form of message archiving would be my guess. That may be as
>> simple as a "tee" command in the mail delivery mechanism, or it may be
>> something else, but I don't think anyone here can help with that.
>>
>> If "our host" puts the messages it receives into a mailbox and you use
>> some form of e-mail client to read the messages and resend them to
>> "our server" then the means of preserving the messages in the mailbox
>> on "our host" will be found in the client software configuration. But
>> nobody knows what you're using to do that (if that's what you're
>> doing).
>>
>> --
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
>> Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
>> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com
>> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com
>> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
curspice6401 (3487)
7/22/2006 3:05:26 AM
Hugh Janus <HughJanus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Suppose it is vague.
>Our web site is hosted by ECN and that includes 15 mail boxes.
>Emails that come in are downloaded and erasesd almost immediately as they
>pass through to our MS Exchage server based in our office. This server then
>distributes the emails to the individual within the Company.

You still haven't said _what_ it is that moves the mail from the
mailboxes on ECN to your Exchange server. It's that bit of software
that needs to be tweaked.

>When travelling, we can log onto the ECN server but there are no emails as
>they are erased when they go through to our MS EX server.

Why not use your Exchange server? OWA is there already. You can allow
POPS or IMAPS through your firewall if that's what you prefer or you
can use Outlook 2003 with RPC-overHTTPS or, if you use an ISA server,
publish the Exchange server and just use Outlook.

>We have spoken to ECN who say it is a setting in our MS EX server and
>nothing to do with them.

Exchange has nothing to do with this. Whatever software you use to
read the messages from the mailbox and send them (again) with SMTP is
what's deleting the messages.

>We cannot locate anything on our softare to adjust to change this ti allow
>messages to remian on the server.
>
>Hope that makes things clearer as I still do not know what to do.

Well, the fist thing I'd ask is whay you're doing what you're doing!
Your Exchange server is perfectly capable of doing what you need to
eliminate that POP3-to-SMTP kludge you're using now to deliver mail.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Migrating Lotus Domino contacts to Exchange 2003
Using the Lotus to Exchange migration tool worked as needed for moving user information and mail from the old Lotus machine to the new SBS2003 Exchange server. The tool does not do anything with the public contacts, however. What is the best method of migrating the contacts on the Lotus Domino server? I am not too familiar with Domino but I expect there is a way to export the database into a file, but how would I import that same file into Exchange? On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:48:05 -0800, A51 <A51@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Using the Lotus to Exchange migration tool worked ...

Email Security #2
My company uses MS Exchange server for email and uses a spam filter. The problem is a lot of my personal emails are getting trapped in the spam filter and are being read by prying eyes before being forward to me. Is there any way I can encrypt all messages sent to my address from the client side (without needing MS Exchange priviliges). I obviously am using Outlook as my POP3 client. Is there any way I can do it without needing to contact and of the email senders to my account. Thanks ...

Cannot receive emails
I cannot receive email. I get the following error message: Account: 'mail.hughes.net', Server: 'mail.hughes.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 64.98.36.135 (64.98.36.135:110), connect error 10060', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90 Is this mail account associated with your work? They probably have the server blocked (behind a firewall) - you would have to ask them for specific settings to use at home to access the mail server. "mjsharpe" <mjsharpe@discuss...

Creating additional mailbox stores in Exchange 2003
Hi, I am running Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003, and I would like to create an additional mailbox store. I am able to create a new storage group, but every time I try to create a mailbox store, I receive the message 'the storage group already contains the maximum number of stores allowed.' Also, I know that it is possible to create a second mailbox store, because I created a second mailbox store last year on an SBS server with Exchange 2003. I don't believe that we are limited to only one mailbox store. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, On Thu, ...

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Security on New Email Address
I am getting some really dirty spam. I opened a new e-mail account hoping to use the old as a default for when anyone is on the internet so that I can keep the new one clean. When I open Outlook I don't want my email account to open automatically and if I am not there I don't want someone else to access it. However as soon as I open Outlook I am prompted to open my new account and unless I sign in my password I cannot receive mail for the old account, I get a mail error message. How can I keep my new mail private and let others access the other account automatically? Let's approac...

outlook to exchange tracking
Hi All, I have an outlook client that is sending strange messages through the server. I need to track down what the client IP is or what user account is being used to send these messages. Is there a way to track activity between outlook and the exchange server? ...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

How to tell if an email was sent or not
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0058_01C42622.9A84E240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello: I have a user who was accessing our company exchange 2000 server over = VPN over the weekend. He was connected for many hours writing over 50 = emails...Near the end of his session, he received about 50 "email = undeliverable" messages pertaining to emails sent hours ago. Now, when he got into the office today, he asked that I look deeply into = the server logs to check to see if these...

Organizing standard email messages
I have several dozen emails that I send out to my clients each week. A typical email will say something like, "This week you had no blah, blah, blah." Or it might say, "This month you had 15 blah, blah, blah and you can see them in the attached file." I use a standard signature file so my contact info is always there and always current. I currently keep a folder of generic messages like this and each week I pick the appropriate message, change a date in the text, attach the current file and send. This works fine but I can't help but wonder if somebody else has a ...

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

Viewing archived emails in Outlook Express
I recently had to have Windows re-installed on my computer, so I had a backup made of certain files including all the email I had in Outlook Express. I've managed to open some of them, but can anyone tell me if there's an easy way to open archived email inside Outlook Express? Thank you! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpr...

Email configuration problem #2
This is a repost of a note from a couple of days ago that got no replys. I'll try one more time befor I give up. Thanks for understanding. ********************************************* Outlook 2000. Is there a setting that I can have the email folders/subfolders expanded permanently so I don't have to go back & click on the + sign? -- Thanks in advance... Bob I assume if yr folders are expanded and you close OL, on reopening the folders are 'minimised' It works fine on my OL2k - folders expanded - cannot I'm afraid remember why, I do have a custom view set alltho...

exchange 2003 multiple email addresses
I have a user that does testing and he has to have 300 or so email addresses assigned to his user account. test1.@domain.com, test2@domain.com, etc.... Does anyone know of a tool that can create these addresses? Or is there a way to import them to a user? I don't want to spend a day to add them individually. Thanks in advanced. Rob Take a look at admodify http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=f5cbbfa9-e46b-4a7a-8ed8-3e44523f32e2 Nue "rob" <rsl315@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137448735.584442.109830@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have a...

Scheduled Emails not being delivered
We have just setup Exchange 2003 & our users cant send scheduled emails. Would anyone know why this is, is it a global setting in Exchange? Thanks ...

How to turn off junk email filtering
I have Outlook 2003 clients in a Exchange 2000 org. Even though I am working online and shouldn't have any junk e-mail filtering going on (also have "no automatic filtering" checked). Users - including me - are getting good messages moved to their junk email folder. I have had messages form my own domain and from other important addresses filtered to my Junk email folder. The messages filtered are not on blocked senders list. Why is any filtering at all going on? How do I turn off the filtering? Thanks this is not a server setting except for when using OWA. Do you have it ...

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

Can't send email!
I can't send emails. I tried some things from the other posts, but still not working. This is the error that I'm getting. The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Hi', Account: 'pop.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E AOL doesn't use port 25. .Please use the settings AOL specifies: http://postmaster.aol.com/imap/express.html Those instructions were written for Outlook Express, but Windows Mail uses the same settings as Outlook Express. --=...

Outlook 2003 keeps asking for password for POP3 account
I am running WinXP Pro and Office 2003. My Outlook 2003 keeps popping up intermittently a pop-up box requesting me to re-enter the POP3 account password. Now, there is nothing wrong with the password already entered (check box to save password), so all i am having to do is click OK, but it is really annoying. Does anyone know what i can do to stop Outlook from doing this? Thanks for your help. ...

email problem with one user
Hello, I have a client using Outlook 2003 on a SBS 2003 server. The users has an exchange internal e-mail of USER1-5.MAIL.local and POP3 external e-mail USER1-5.INTERNET.COM. For most of the users the e-mail works the way it is suppose to. But one of the user sends an email to one recipient the e-mail is generated with the POP3 e-mail address but if the e-mail is created with multiple recipients for some reason the exchange internal is used. I have talked with the user and she does not do anything special when creating e-mail when it is for one person or multiple people. She does n...

My computer running slow on outlook 2007 & 200k emails
I cant work on the computer when outlook is running.. I know its alot of emails but outlook is made for that. Any solution? Thanks.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Are all 200K in the Inbox or spread throughout different folders? (You want the later for better performance.) "aa" <aa[at]dsfsf[dot]com> wrote in message news:OHQzwByhKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I cant work on the computer when outlook is running.. > I know its alot of emails but outlook is made for that. > Any solution? > > Thanks.. Submitted using http://www....

How do I reconfigure my email...
so that way I can get mail from my HTTP mailbox through Outlook 2002? I'm running XP 2002 (?) and it's not an easy one to go through with--ie, it's from work, so it's not something like hotmail or one of the preconfigured ones that pop up when I hit "Tools" "Email Accounts". After setting it up (supposedly) I try to Send/Receive all (is that how I get my inbox transported into Outlook?) and it gives me the following error: Task 'http://webmail.baird: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x800CCCF4) : 'An unknown error ...

Exchange Standard 2003 DB sizes
Hi, Our Exchange private DB sizes are approaching 15g and have been informed that it is possible to increase size to up to 75g. Are there any potential issues with doing this? Is it a simple process? What issues should I be aware of before applying this? Is it recomended!!! As long as you have SP2 installed it's a no brainer. Go for it. "Andy Wolsten" wrote: > Hi, > > Our Exchange private DB sizes are approaching 15g and have been informed > that it is possible to increase size to up to 75g. > > Are there any potential issues with doing this? Is it a...

Blocking emails with HTML content
The level of spam I am receiving has recently gone through the roof - from 1-2 per day to between 25-40! I have set up junk mail rules and these do a fair job. However, a very large proportion of spam get contains HTML. I never receive messages from trusted sources with HTML in the message body, so my thinking is that if I can set up a rule to auto-delete all emails with HTML in the body I can get rid of 95% of it easily. However, I can't seem to find of way of doing it. Any ideas please (short of changing my email address!)? Thanks - Peter Peter, I had the same thought as you (blo...