KB911280 breaks Exchange on 2K server (failure to mount public store)

Ever since the July 11 updates we've been trying to fix Exchange
server running on a 2K server.  Specifically the public store fails to
mount ever since the update.  (We don't use exchange for anything
other than the public folders which are accessed by a bunch of
2K/Win-98 machines running outlook 2000 -  we run an SMTP pop-server
and MSMail on another machine).

We rolled back the server's hard drive to a previous backup (about 1
year ago) and brought back the server to the point where we could
mount the current public message store.  We then began to apply the
July-11 updates and were able to install all of them except for
KB911280 and still be able to mount the public store.

We then installed KB911280 and the public store wouldn't mount (even
when attempted to start manually).  We un-installed KB911280 and
presto- we could mount the public store again.

Are there any known issues with KB911280 that would cause Exchange to
break like this?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:03:45 GMT, Exchange Guy <Exchange@Guy.com>
wrote:

>Ever since the July 11 updates we've been trying to fix Exchange
>server running on a 2K server.  Specifically the public store fails to
>mount ever since the update.  (We don't use exchange for anything
>other than the public folders which are accessed by a bunch of
>2K/Win-98 machines running outlook 2000 -  we run an SMTP pop-server
>and MSMail on another machine).
>
>We rolled back the server's hard drive to a previous backup (about 1
>year ago) and brought back the server to the point where we could
>mount the current public message store.  We then began to apply the
>July-11 updates and were able to install all of them except for
>KB911280 and still be able to mount the public store.
>
>We then installed KB911280 and the public store wouldn't mount (even
>when attempted to start manually).  We un-installed KB911280 and
>presto- we could mount the public store again.
>
>Are there any known issues with KB911280 that would cause Exchange to
>break like this?

Since you didnt mention the exact error:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/wontmount.mspx

Otherwise, a call to PSS might  be in order.
0
adavid (8731)

Block a Single IP in Exchange 2003
Is it possible to block email from a server IP address? Yes, use Connection Filtering. If your Exchange 2003 box is behind another mail gateway, you'll need SP2. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "laurin1" <laurin1@osai.com> wrote in message news:1138289695.020763.71230@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to block email from a server IP address? > Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823866/en-us Nue "laurin1" <laurin1@osai.com> wrote in message...

Percentage tolerance with break points.
Hello, I'm trying to devise a simple to use calclator to determine if the checked weight of an item of cargo submitted to a shipper, compared to the declared weight is within a range of acceptable variance percentages. The acceptable tolerances are 0-100 KG- 10% +300 KG- 7% +500 KG- 5% +1000 Kg-3% I basically want a user to enter declared weight in A1, check weight A2, and then have a cell display OK or AMEND when both values are entered. I have no clue if this is really complicated, or I am really dumb, but any help would be warmly received! On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:35:56 GMT, Mcgraw...

KB911280 breaks Exchange on 2K server (failure to mount public store)
Ever since the July 11 updates we've been trying to fix Exchange server running on a 2K server. Specifically the public store fails to mount ever since the update. (We don't use exchange for anything other than the public folders which are accessed by a bunch of 2K/Win-98 machines running outlook 2000 - we run an SMTP pop-server and MSMail on another machine). We rolled back the server's hard drive to a previous backup (about 1 year ago) and brought back the server to the point where we could mount the current public message store. We then began to apply the July-11 updates an...

Backup exchange
Hello, Can anyone tell me how I can backup exchange on a different drive other than the C: drive. My c:drive is getting full. Thanks Ursula Hi, to backup the system on the same disk is not a good idea! If you have several partitions, you should start by separate logs, databases,... on differents partitions. The Exchange system manager can help you to indicate new paths and move the databases. A good backup should be on a different disk, on a tape or even on a dedicated backup server. Bye -- Thierry DEMAN-BARCEL� MVP Exchange,SQL/Server FAQ Exchange: http://faqexchange.dyndns.org Si...

OAL Generator - Error 9323
* Can anyone help me to resolve this error? Type: Warning Source: MSExchangeSA Category: OAL Generator Event ID: 9320 OALGen could not generate full details for some entries in the offline address list for address list '\Global Address List'. To see which entries are affected, event logging for the offline address list generator must be set to at least medium. - Default Offline Address List * When I increased logging to the maximum, I received this specific error, which I believe is the root of the problem. Any ideas??? Type: Warning Source: MSExchangeSA Cate...

Exchange Services #3
All Exchange services fail to start. Where can I start looking to figure out why. Mailbox store is at 11gb Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I would start looking in the Event Log and see exactly what time Exchange services shutdown. If the time coordinates when my backup is running then I would check my backup logs. "_M_" <here@gone.com> wrote in message news:OmB8oJPRFHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > All Exchange services fail to start. Where can I start looking to figure > out why. > > Mailbox store is at 11gb > > Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > On T...

break link between worksheets?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C54036.B25DF1C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How do I break link between worksheets? When I open one it says I am = linked toi another. How do I bresak the link? thanks greg ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C54036.B25DF1C0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3D...

Is it possible to host one domain in two servers?
Hello all, I'm currently working on adding a new server in a new branch location. Right now I have SBS 2003 and it's working fine. The people in the branch will just VPN in to retreive their emails. As that branch grows, there's a need for a faster email. I'm planning to add a new Exchange server on that branch machine. Is there a way to separate mailboxes to two different servers under one domain? For example: person1@domain.com will go to server1.domain.com and person2@domain.com will go to server2.domain.com. Thanks, Jerry Generally speaking, yes, Exchange definitely al...

Assigning group access to a Public folder containing calendar item
I would like to set up a group calendar. I would like to control access to that calendar by assigning a group the appropriate permissions. I have been trying to do this, but haven't figured it out yet. My understanding is that I create the calendar using Outlook, which I have done. I can assign individual permissions, but can't get a group assigned then have members of the group able to access the calendar. For a little while I couldn't even see the group I was trying to assign to the calendar. I got around that by mail enabling the group. Now I can assign the group th...

New migrated users dont have Exchange attributes
Hi All, After Exchange 2k3 SP1 installation user migrated with Active Directory Migration Tool don´t receive Exchange 2k3 attributes. Users migrated before SP1 installation, has these attributes. Any suggestion ? Very thank´s ...

Exchange not showing up in services
I am running NT4.0SP6a and Exchange 5.5 SP3. None of my services for exchange are showing up in the services under the control panel. Is there a way to get them back? you must logon with service account , have u change the service logon account password ? Manpreet Brar "troyd Sanchez" <avpoh8@hotmailnospam.com> wrote in message news:eAPLfy63DHA.2428@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I am running NT4.0SP6a and Exchange 5.5 SP3. None of my services for > exchange are showing up in the services under the control panel. Is there a > way to get them back? > > That so...

Borders
I am creating a quote template in excel. To get the correct 'look and feel', I have used borders. This is fine if the quote can be contained on a single printed sheet, however, as soon as I go into a second page, I cannot get the border to recognise a page break. In other words, I have a series of vertical border lines but no horizontal border to signafy the end of one page and the start of another - Can this be automated? Many thanks! Excel 2002 ...

Moved mailbox & now cannot logon to OWA
Hello good people. I have an issue that I hope someone can help me with. I have a multiple server (exchange server 2003) environment with both FE & BE servers. I am having a problem. I have moved some users to a different server, within the same site. But after moving the mailboxes and waiting for about 5 minutes or so, and after verifying that the mailboxes were now housed on the new server, the users with the moved mailboxes cannot access their mailboxes through OWA. Even ran the recipient update, but that did not seem to help. My question is, I am waiting enough time afte...

Exchange 5.5 and ExMerge
hi people.. I restored pub.edb and priv.edb files from the production server onto recovery server for extracting mailboxes from the Information store. I cannot find the mailboxes under server recipients, but can find them under server>private information store > mailbox resources. i guess this is cuz, i didnt restore the DS database from the production server. I have logged in using exchange service account.. offcourse the Information Store Service is running.. i tried using ExMerge utilty to extract a single mailbox. but the log says.. ******************************************...

setup of mutiple domains on 1 exchange server
Ok, I have a question. Can I setup a single exchange 2000 server to send mail for a couple of domains? I have it setup to receive mail from these domains with a recipient policy and that works fine but I don't know if I need to setup another information stroe or virtual SMTP server so we can send mail out using these domains. See below for example Main company: maincompany.co Affilliate: affilliatecompany.co Our mail goes out as john@mailcompany.com and can come in as john@mailcompany.com or john@affilliatecompany.com. How do I set exchange up to send out as john@affilliate.com Thank you...

Can you get line breaks in a text cell
I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free text input. Is there a way I can put in a line or para break into a cell (as you can in a cell of a word table). Can't easily use separate cells as the number of paras can vary. I could use word but then I lose the facility to use excel on all the cells that contain data. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. TIA Rob Just hit Alt-Enter which editing a cell to start a new line RFJ wrote: > I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free > text input. &...

Exchange 2003 Message Tracking Error
Hi, I am facing a weird error on our Exchange 2003 Server (running Windows Server 2003). When trying to change the servers logfile directory, this text is in the path-textbox: An error occurred during a call to Windows Management Instrumentation ID no: 80041013 Exchange System Manager When booting the server, this message is in the system event log: Event Type: Error Event Source: DCOM Event Category: None Event ID: 10002 Date: 07/06/2004 Time: 06:48:24 User: NT-AUTORIT�T\SYSTEM Computer: EXCHANGE-2003 Description: Zugriff verweigert...

Page Breaks
When I add a page break on one page I get a paragragh return on the next page which brings down the copy on the page....How do I have a page break without the return on the following page? Unless the paragraph mark is before a table, you should be able to delete it. But you can work around this in any case by formatting the text on the desired new page as "Page break before." -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "designermom" <designermom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

SBS2003 SP1 error when applying Exchange 2003 SP1 and/or SP2
Hi, I have Small Business Server 2003 installed with SP1 applied. I tried installing Exchange 2003 SP2 to fix the daylight savings issue. However, when I go to install the service pack, I get an error saying: You must have Exchange Server 2003 installed on this machine before installing this Microsoft Exchange Server Service Pack. I've done some searching on Usenet and this group, but haven't found any solutions besides re-installing Exchange. I'd like to find a way to fix this without losing any data or having to do any re-configuration. Any ideas or recommendations?...

Help with exchange 2003
I get everything loaded with no problem but when I try to run the internet mail wizard I get this error: The selected server fails the prereqs: Can not be part of a Network Load Balancing cluster. Any one had this problem? TIA Josh Solution I have seen in the past that fixes the issue: From the \WINNT\System32\WBEM directory open a dos box and run: MOFCOMP wlbsprov.mof On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:31:42 -0500, "Josh" <jsawyr@Inssssightnnn.com> wrote: >I get everything loaded with no problem but when I try to run the internet >mail wizard I get this error: > >...

Will Exchange Server Force Required Password Change
I have reason to believe that my Exchange Server is being used to relay spam and that this was made possible by someone stealing or guessing one of our users' login info. If I go into the Active Directory and set each user to require a password change upon next login, what will happen when the violator next tries to relay an email through using the stolen credentials. Will the required password change stop him from doing so? As an ancillary question. If someone does steal credentials, how does he then use them to relay through our server? Is it as simple as some command ...

OWA problems after reboot of EX Server
After reboot of an Exchange Server it appears as thought OWA is no longer working. Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance Hi RP, Please provide teh following details: 1. What version of Exchange Server, including Servcie pack 2. What happens when a user attempts to use OWA. What is the sequence and waht are the pop-up messages, if any? 3. Are there any errors in the applog and system log? With these details, one could provide some ideas. Regards -- Nagendra Sitharamaiah MCSE, CCNA, MCT, CISSP Microsoft Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microso...

Connectivity problems on Exchange 5.5
Hi, I have recently migrated all of our users from one 5.5 server to another, now when I change permissions or any other settings on the Exchange Administrator on the new server they do not take effect. example User A Mailbox Grant permissions to User B by the way of Primary Windows NT Account, Go to give primary access back to User A NT Account but changes dont come into effect, resulting in User A not having permission to acccess his mailbox, although POermissions are correct in Exchange Administrator Thanx By default, permission changes can take up to 120 minutes to take effect....

Exchange 2007 Autodiscover Problems
I am in the process of migrating our Exchange 2003 environment to Exchange 2007 SP2 which has gone smoothly for the most part, with one of the exceptions being the autodiscover service. I followed the guide that I found here to set up a new autodiscover site in IIS and create a new autodiscover virtual directory in Exchange: http://www.exchangeninjas.com/CasCertMethod2 Got an SSL cert for autodiscover.ourdomain.local, installed and enabled it, and followed the instructions there to set the SCP, etc. However, when I do the Test E-Mail AutoConfiguration from Outlook 2007 I get ...

serious Exchange security flaw
I just found out that it's possible to telnet to port 25 of any Exchange server and send an email to anybody in that domain with a forged address, or with a legitimate address from that domain using basic SMTP commands while in the telnet session. This would make it possible for a spammer to spam people within that domain from their very own Exchange server. Or worse, anybody could send an email to somebody in that domain, making it appear from a different, legitimate user in that domain. For example, an email that appears to be from the boss to an employee saying "you're fired...