Junk Emails

We are using Exchange Server 2000 SP3. Recently there have been many junk
emails coming to our domain. Please let us know how we can stop such junk
emails in exchange server.

Secondly, when we click in Current Sessions in Exchange Systems Manager, we
get a message SMTP Configuration window saying "The system cannot find the
path specified."

Please if anybody can help us to stop the junk emails of 1 kb. There are
more than 1000 such emails in our Q by which our server is always busy
sending / receiving unwanted emails.

Regards,
Athar

--
Athar Sagri
0

atharsagri <atharsagri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are using Exchange Server 2000 SP3. Recently there have been many junk
>emails coming to our domain. Please let us know how we can stop such junk
>emails in exchange server.

Install Exchange 2003 SP2 and use the IMF? Otherwise, install a spam
filter to handle this.

>Secondly, when we click in Current Sessions in Exchange Systems Manager, we
>get a message SMTP Configuration window saying "The system cannot find the
>path specified."

Restart the SMTP service and try again.

>Please if anybody can help us to stop the junk emails of 1 kb. There are
>more than 1000 such emails in our Q by which our server is always busy
>sending / receiving unwanted emails.

You can reduce the number of NDRs you're sending by refusing to accept
mail sent to addresses that don't exist in your directory. Exchange
2000 can't do this by itself, but Exchange 2003 can. If you stick with
Exchange 2000, try http://www.vamsoft.com/orf which can use your AD to
validate the addresses. It's relatively inexpensive and it can help
you stop quite a lot of the junk mail just by using graylisting
(spammers rarely sending a message).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Please help.

Regards,
Athar

--
Athar Sagri

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> atharsagri <atharsagri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We are using Exchange Server 2000 SP3. Recently there have been many junk
> >emails coming to our domain. Please let us know how we can stop such junk
> >emails in exchange server.
>
> Install Exchange 2003 SP2 and use the IMF? Otherwise, install a spam
> filter to handle this.
>
> >Secondly, when we click in Current Sessions in Exchange Systems Manager, we
> >get a message SMTP Configuration window saying "The system cannot find the
> >path specified."
>
> Restart the SMTP service and try again.
>
> >Please if anybody can help us to stop the junk emails of 1 kb. There are
> >more than 1000 such emails in our Q by which our server is always busy
> >sending / receiving unwanted emails.
>
> You can reduce the number of NDRs you're sending by refusing to accept
> mail sent to addresses that don't exist in your directory. Exchange
> 2000 can't do this by itself, but Exchange 2003 can. If you stick with
> Exchange 2000, try http://www.vamsoft.com/orf which can use your AD to
> validate the addresses. It's relatively inexpensive and it can help
> you stop quite a lot of the junk mail just by using graylisting
> (spammers rarely sending a message).
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
atharsagri (17)
9/17/2006 6:31:01 AM
atharsagri <atharsagri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thankx 4 ur email. I will chk 4 some free spam software available for
>download.

Not the best of breed, but it's free: SpamAssassin. Run it on FreeBSD
or Linux with Postfix (pretty easy to deal with) or Sendmail (if
you're a glutton for punishment). Use CLAM AV, too.

Go grab a demo copy of ORF (http://www.vamsoft.com/orf) to start with.
You may find it adequate (or not), but it's less expensive than
another machine to run a spam filter on.

>How can I delete the Q showing in the Exchange system manager below
>current session.

"Current Sessions" isn't a queue, it's a list of all the connections
that are sending mail to your server *right now*. If you want to
disconnect them all, right-click on "Current Sessions" and pick
"Terminate all".

>I want to delete all in one go as those all are junk emails.
>Now I am enumerating one by one which is taking hell of a time for me. My
>hands are paining too much.

Set the expiry time on your SMTP Virtual Server to a couple of hours.
That should clear them out. But they'll be back quickly unless you do
something to prevent them from doing so.

>I chk for exchrv\Q folder also, but when I try to delete the file in this
>folder it is telling sharing voilation. some are deleted and some are not.

Go get a copy of aqadmcli.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/exchange.
It was part of web-update with all the Exchange tools in it.

If you can't find the whole set of tools, you'll find aqadmcli.exe
here:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/PSS/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/Aqadmcli/

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

The DOS utility which you have said, I downloaded, and it is french and
greek to me. It's not so simple.

Regards.
--
Athar Sagri

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> atharsagri <atharsagri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thankx 4 ur email. I will chk 4 some free spam software available for
> >download.
>
> Not the best of breed, but it's free: SpamAssassin. Run it on FreeBSD
> or Linux with Postfix (pretty easy to deal with) or Sendmail (if
> you're a glutton for punishment). Use CLAM AV, too.
>
> Go grab a demo copy of ORF (http://www.vamsoft.com/orf) to start with.
> You may find it adequate (or not), but it's less expensive than
> another machine to run a spam filter on.
>
> >How can I delete the Q showing in the Exchange system manager below
> >current session.
>
> "Current Sessions" isn't a queue, it's a list of all the connections
> that are sending mail to your server *right now*. If you want to
> disconnect them all, right-click on "Current Sessions" and pick
> "Terminate all".
>
> >I want to delete all in one go as those all are junk emails.
> >Now I am enumerating one by one which is taking hell of a time for me. My
> >hands are paining too much.
>
> Set the expiry time on your SMTP Virtual Server to a couple of hours.
> That should clear them out. But they'll be back quickly unless you do
> something to prevent them from doing so.
>
> >I chk for exchrv\Q folder also, but when I try to delete the file in this
> >folder it is telling sharing voilation. some are deleted and some are not.
>
> Go get a copy of aqadmcli.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/exchange.
> It was part of web-update with all the Exchange tools in it.
>
> If you can't find the whole set of tools, you'll find aqadmcli.exe
> here:
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/PSS/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/Aqadmcli/
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
atharsagri (17)

External smtp email to public folder shown as post, not shown as email
Hi there, Exch2003 FE & BE servers, both running on w2k3 server, BE server also a DC & GC server. Now config public folder at BE, mail enabled it. For internal users, if sent email to public folder, it shown up as email. For external parties, if sent email to public folder, it shown up as post. Wondering how to tweak public folder so that external emails will shown as email instead of post? Many thanks! Try looking at the following KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817809 Martin Moustgaard "Zac" <zacfang@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:Og20iL...

"Missing Microsoft CRM Key" when sending email?
I have just installed CRM 1.2 on Windows Server 2003. No Exchange. When a user tries to send an email to some contact he/she gets the error in the subject. Why is this? Which key is missing? Do I need to install or set up something? I tried installing SMTP on the server, and configure it. Still get the error, though. Regards... -- ________________________ Rolf Barbakken @ Questus ans Teknisk ansvarlig Web: http://www.questus.no Rolf, MS CRM uses the Exchange connector to send email. If you are on the web client, there is no other option (SMTP or otherwise). Stephen "Rolf Bar...

Junk E-mail Options
I have selected the check box to: Permanently delete suspected junk e-mail instead of moving it to the Junk E- mail folder The problem is Outlook is ignoring my request and still putting it in the Junk E-mail folder, where I have to manually delete it. Doesn't this work like the Junk E- mail option in Office XP? Thanks. ...

How to share same email a/c on 2 pc
I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. Operating syste=xp outlook version 2003 Thanks "Christine" <centrol@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:hop8fj$7la$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg... > I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. > > How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. > > Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. > > Operating sys...

Forwarded Email
When I create a file in publisher and forward it to receipients, it works great! But when they forward it to someone else, it get jumbled. Is there any solution to this? Thanks! Are you sending as an attachment? If your recipients have Publisher, it will work "great." You have to have Publisher in order to open a Publisher file, otherwise it gets "jumbled." Might think about a PDF. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jdchouse" <Jdchouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Recovering Deleted Emails
I found the option in Outlook 2003 where a user can recover deleted email for a specified period of time (determined by setting on Exchange server). However, is there a way an administrator can view all deleted emails for all users? Maybe something via a web browser directly on the Exchange server? We don't really have a need to restore the emails from the Exchange server but we would like to review emails that users are deleting without having to log into their workstation and recover the emails then delete them again. Any suggestions? thanks I think does not support this -- Ja...

Transferring email account from Outlook Express to Outlook
I have transferred by main BT email account from OE to Outlook with no difficulty. However, a subsidiary account that I use will not be accessed. I have added it to the accounts list and checked all settings. I have removed it from Outlook Express. When I run the Test Account option, all seems well, but when I send a message to myself at that account it appears to send successfully, but cannot be received. Any suggestions? What SMTP server are you sending through? Primary or secondary? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...

Email Subprocess failing
I have a Workflow Rule that will kick off a common email based on case status. However, what I have found is that executing a subprocess to send the email does not work or pauses. If you find it paused, and refresh, no email is sent. Changed the Exec subprocess to Send Email and the rule is running fine. I would like to know if sending emails in a subprocess is a problem or just is not supposed to work? Sending email in a subprocess works fine in my experience Check error logs to provide more info "Alice C" <AliceC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5...

outlook classifying ALL emails as junk and moving to delete
How do i change this? ...

Email Accounts
Is there a way to set Outlook 2k3 to use an Exchange server for one email address and an external(my ISP) for another email address? I can receive but not send. Here is what I get if I try to send and email from the external account Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 6/20/2006 3:13 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Lname, Jay on 6/20/2006 3:13 PM 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) In news:EFAA5332-17D1-4376-9630-95EDA4AE3609@microsoft.com, ve...

Confirmation Email
Hi all, I want to be able to send out shipment confirmation emails at the end of the day, based on a query that populates with the records that meet some specified criteria. Any record that shows in this query result set will need to have an email sent to the customer on record. I am having the hardest time locating some code snipets that I could experiment with. How would I be able to have it go through each record and send an email? Any help, guidance, or code would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -gary Try something like Dim rst As DAO.Recordset Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenR...

outlook wont send email
I have been using outlook and incredimail for different users in the family. I added a Palm and had to make outlook my default mail. Now I can not send anything in the out box. I have checked all the settings to no avial. ...

junk emails
how do I stop receiving blank junk emails that are usually 200 a day? Dave895 wrote on Sat, 03 April 2010 00:37 > how do I stop receiving blank junk emails that are usually 200 a day? With the company that hosts my E-mail( The Message center) they use Google app PostInin and you are allowed to black list or block a sender. If you do not have this ability you can block a sender with in Outlook. Tools > Options > Junk E-mail > Block Senders. Hope this helps. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com "Dave895" <Dave895@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Line Feed not working in Email text
I am using the following code in Message box of the vbSendMail form in VB5. '**** insert Email Text .txtMsg.Text = "" & _ frmProspectEmailLtr.DlrName & _ vbLf & frmProspectEmailLtr.DlrCityStateZip & _ VBLF works fine here with MAPI and Outlook but not in vbSendMail. I have researched "legtfy" but still don't know how to achieve a line feed here. What should I use in lieu of VBLF? try vbCrLf Dennis Rose wrote: > I am using the following code in Message box of the vbSendMail form > in VB5. > &...

Outlook 2003- Firefox/ IE stealing Window focus when clicking hyperlinks in emails
I am trying to figure out how to prevent Firefox and IE from stealing focus when I click a link in an Outlook 2003 email. I have seen various posts on how to use and NOT use the same Browser window when clicking links as well as the posts in the below link. I have seen People post about my issue but with no responses. Any ideas? thank you http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/search?group=microsoft.public.outlook&q=steal+focus&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group atebark <atebark@gmail.com> wrote: > I am trying to figure out how to prevent Firefox and ...

email blocked
I sent an email 2 days ago which was clearly too large; it has blocked me sending other emails. I cannot delete it since i get an error message that you cannot delete it because it has already begun transmitting? Not sure what version of Outlook you are using, but this is for Outlook 2000. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195922 concepts are the same for all versions. "ajs1244" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2d49301c46a07$397bda70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I sent an email 2 days ago which was clearly too large; > it h...

Added a email account to outlook, says inbox is empty????
I have 2 hotmail accounts, I added them both to outlook, but only one is showing any messages, the other says it's empty, but I know it's not. Passwords, spelling etc are correct. Any ideas Nope! You have provided absolutely zero information upon which to form an idea. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, hregan asked: | I have 2 hotmail accounts, I added them both to outlook, but only one | is showing any ...

Junk mail not moved to Junk folder
When I first installed Outlook 2003, I could right-click on an email and inform Outlook to add this sender to the list of junk mail and then Outlook would automatically move the email to the junk folder. Recently, I had to reinstall Outlook 2003. Now, after telling Outlook 2003 to add this sender to the list of junk email senders, the message stays in my inbox and I have to delete it. I've searched all the options screens but can't figure this one out. Appreciate any help. ...

Troubleshooting CRM Email
I've set up CRM on SBS 2000, everything, including the crm email router installed fine. I get a pretty nondescript error when sending an email from the browser. Basically, I hit "Send" & after it works a bit I get "Error An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator." Primary email accounts reference the correct email accounts. Inbound/Outbbound email definitely is working on the server, as Outlook works fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! SeanD Sean, Check the event log on the SBS box. There w...

junk email #10
I know how to label junk emails and have them killed befor they come in but lately have been getting emails with nothing in the sender field. The junk email feature adds the sender to the blocked senders list and it won't accept a blank. I would like to block any emails coming in with a blank senders field. Any ideas?? Tnx Loretta Loretta Pirozzi <seattlewalks@msn.com> wrote: > I would like to block any emails coming in with a blank > senders field. Create a rule that deletes all messages _except_ if they contain some character in the sender field. -- Brian Tillman...

Relief "JUNK" sensitivity
Hi, In a 2k3 Exchange, I was configuring RPC over HTTP (I am not certain if that had anything to do with the problem I am posting here) and suddenly busniess emails: 1 - Are sometimes considered JUNK. 2 - Are being delivered to my email box (I have administrator priviliges.) How to: 1 - Reliefe sensitivity on junk mail classification? 2 - Even if considered junk, how to direct those emails to their destined box? Thanks Yba The answer to your questions depend on: What anti-spam solution(s) are you using? Are these buisness emails originating internally or comming from an external sources ...

Forward email using rules
I want to be able to forward my email that I have read to another mailbox using rules. I want it to forward after I have read the email (flagged as read) and not to forward private emails (flagged as private/confidential). I have an exchange server and OL2003. Anyone have any ideas... Thanks Rob <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to be able to forward my email that I have read to > another mailbox using rules. I want it to forward after > I have read the email (flagged as read) and not to > forward private emails (flagged as > private/confide...

bandwidth saturated during mass emails
I'm running Exchange 5.5 on NT4, with a DSL internet connection through a Symantec Gateway Security firewall. My company sends out an email newsletter to hundreds of subscribers on a weekly basis. The newsletter can be fairly large; the last one was 400KB. This newsletter is important, but it is only a relatively small function of the company, and it's saturating our bandwidth when it's sent out. Any other use of the internet is virtually impossible during this time. It's sent Friday evenings, but often even by Monday or Tuesday there's mail in the queue trying to get out,...

Rules and Junk e-mail conflict
I have outlook 2003. I have 5 pop3 e-mail accounts that outlook checks. I have rules set up for each one to move e-mail that is recieved from account "a" to inbox folder "a". Each account has its own inbox. The problem is when mail is recieved it first goes into the junk folder, then into the acounts inbox. It seams like the junk mail and rules are conflicting. I would like it if mail that is sent to the junk folder is not put back into the inbox. Ed, Did you ever get an answer to this? I would like to know the answer to this as well... Missy "Ed...

email viruses
I am not sure where to post this question so just send me in the right direction if I am in the wrong place. We are running Exchange 5.5 sp4 on Windows 2000 Server. Do all emails from outside our company server have internet headers? If an email has an internet header does that mean it had to come from outside? What does it mean if there is no ip address in the header. I am trying to narrow down if the infected emails are coming from outside the company or if someone inside is infected. Please excuse my ignorance, any help would be greatly appreciated. ...