Junk e-mail in Exchsrvr\MTA Queues

Our Exchsrvr\in-bound & out-bound queues are loaded with
junk e-mails (10K at one point). As fast as they are
processed (removed) they seem to multiply.  This problem
just started - 11/8/03.

Windows2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, Service Pack 5.  Does
anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this and/or
prevent this from happening?
0
rsj110 (2)

Just to be clear, you are looking at the MTA queues?
Is there an IMC on this box?
How many Exchange servers?
You may be getting relayed through...hard to say. Provide more info.

"robin" <rsj110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Our Exchsrvr\in-bound & out-bound queues are loaded with
> junk e-mails (10K at one point). As fast as they are
> processed (removed) they seem to multiply.  This problem
> just started - 11/8/03.
>
> Windows2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, Service Pack 5.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this and/or
> prevent this from happening?

0
sheyia (112)
11/13/2003 5:24:44 AM
Sheyi,

We have 1 exchange server.

Yes, I looked at the MTA queues. IMCdata In/Out folders
where i viewed several of the header info. of 13,637 files
created on 11/8 - all of which were "spam" type e-mails.

confers no rights.
>Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to
this newsgroup.
>"robin" <rsj110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Our Exchsrvr\in-bound & out-bound queues are loaded with
>> junk e-mails (10K at one point). As fast as they are
>> processed (removed) they seem to multiply.  This problem
>> just started - 11/8/03.
>>
>> Windows2000 Server, Exchange 5.5, Service Pack 5.  Does
>> anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this and/or
>> prevent this from happening?
>

>.

0
anonymous (74717)
11/13/2003 6:16:05 AM
Sounds like a relay then...have you tested it to see if it's a relay?
On the properties of the IMC, Routing tab, Routing Restrictions button, do
you have that configured?

"Robin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sheyi,
>
> We have 1 exchange server.
>
> Yes, I looked at the MTA queues. IMCdata In/Out folders
> where i viewed several of the header info. of 13,637 files
> created on 11/8 - all of which were "spam" type e-mails.

0
sheyia (112)
11/13/2003 7:29:47 AM
not sure if i understand what you mean by "testing it to
see if it's a relay issue".  what specifically would you
suggest i do to test this?  next, you're asking if the IMC
routing restrictions are set-up...   i'll have to say no
(not sure though).  what specifically should they show?

these messages are stuck in the queues with no place to go

and
>> confers no rights.
>> >Please do not send email to this address, post a reply
>> this newsgroup.
>> >"robin" <rsj110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
with
problem

Does
and/or

>> >.
>> >

>.

0
anonymous (74717)
11/13/2003 4:09:06 PM

thebackdoor.irc.bot.b virus on the server ( just one).
Once we cleared the files the fun began. We are generating
outbound mail at a rate og 250,000 per hour ard can not
stop them As above you can delete them from the outbound
queues and they regenerate......Any suggestions would be
appreciated................................
0
smccallum (1)
11/13/2003 5:16:39 PM
We are also having the same problem with 2 different clients running
exchange 5.5 with all the latest and greatest service packs.

I have even disconnected the server from the internet, and the problem
keeps happening.   I am assuming this is some sort of undiscovered virus
or worm.

The latest SAV doesn't detect anything on the server.

Steve McCallum wrote:
> [...]

0
clark869 (1)
11/13/2003 8:46:01 PM
If it is a relay problem, you need to go into the
internet mail service properties which can be found in
connections. Go to the routing tab. Click on routing
restrictions. Make sure you check the boxes on this
screen.
1. Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate.
2. Hosts and clients with these IP_addresses
3. Hosts and clients connecting to these internal
addresses.

Checking these will keep your server from being relayed
by spam.
The other thing you can do is in the IMCDATA folder, you
can delete the files within the 'in' and 'out' folders.
However, make sure these files are spam or bogus because
these are queued emails and some could be useful to you.
You can also delete the files in the archive folders
within the 'in' and 'out' folders. These are old emails
that will start to take up space after awhile. Before you
can delete any of these files, you must stop the Exchange
IMS service.

Also, I just had a problem with queued mail getting stuck
and I started to rack up outbound mail. My connections
outbound were also maxed out causing all clients on
outlook to time out when sending email. There was a filed
called queue.bad in the IMCDATA folder. Deleting this
cleared everything up. Hope this helps.

Dennis

0
anonymous (74717)
11/13/2003 11:24:47 PM
dennis,
thank you for your help.

i doubled checked and we are not being relayed but, made
sure all the items below were "checked" as you stated.

i also deleted the files that you suggested below and
actually getting ready to restart the server (and the
services) to see what happens.

at last glance we had well over 302,958 files in the
outbound queue...  and the server barely hanging on...

0
anonymous (74717)

Sent e-mails stuck in "Outbox"
I can click "Send/Receive" but e-mails are not moved from Outbox to Sent Items, even though I discover they have been sent (it can take several sends before it moves into Outbox). Does anyone have a solution to this? Thanks, Adam Page, UK. Adam, I'm having the same problem. If you find an answer please email me. Thanks, Dave >-----Original Message----- >I can click "Send/Receive" but e-mails are not moved from >Outbox to Sent Items, even though I discover they have >been sent (it can take several sends before it moves into >Outbox). > >Do...

e-mails are very large for just text
When using Outlook 2000, Windows 2000, and Word as the outlook e-mail editor, the e-mails wind up very large. I have set the e-mail format to be just plain text, but still an e-mail the size of this newsgroup posting message, may be anywhere from 5Kb to 98Kb. Responses will be even larger. I like to use Word as the editor, since I use the autotext entries quite frequently when writing e-mails. How can I reduce the e-mail size? Many of the people I send e-mail to are at remote locations and on dial-up connections. Thank you, John Gregory if you're using Word as the e-mail ed...

Maximum mail store size exceeded
Hello, I maintain a MS 2003 SBS. I have received the message, "Maximum mail store size exceeded,etc." on an individual user's account. The size of his mailbox is 200,000KB. I moved some of his mail to archive to temporary eleviate the issue and it's now functioning. Question is why in GOD's name is 200,000KB his limit????? The entire company has only used around 3GB of mail between them all, so the 16GB limit is not the case. I have "cache mode" enabled on this particular user, but other than that I have made NO adjustments to his settings. Can I ...

Junk E-mail Options
I have selected the check box to: Permanently delete suspected junk e-mail instead of moving it to the Junk E- mail folder The problem is Outlook is ignoring my request and still putting it in the Junk E-mail folder, where I have to manually delete it. Doesn't this work like the Junk E- mail option in Office XP? Thanks. ...

Outlook 2007 Macro for replying to an e-mail.
I'm looking for macro script that would do the following: Run from an e-mail, creating a reply, change the subject, change the message type to html, copy text from a draft, paste into the body. any ideas? Thanks, The current message is Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem. For an email it returns a MailItem object. See MailItem in the object browser (f2), which tells you what properties and functions are available. For instance, there's a Reply function that returns a new MailItem object. It supoprts Subject, BodyFormat etc. -- Best regards Michael B...

outlook classifying ALL emails as junk and moving to delete
How do i change this? ...

setting for sent mail
Hi, I am using Outlook 2003 with two e-mail accounts (1) a hotmail (HTTP) account and (2) a fastmail (IMAP) account. When I use Outlook to send an e-mail from the IMAP account, it places a copy of the sent message in the MSN Hotmail Sent folder rather than the fastmail folder. I want Outlook to file sent items in the sent folder of the account from wich I sent it. I am pretty sure that I'm missing an obvious setting but just can't find it. Any help would be really appreciated! Michael friedman_michael AT nospam.hotmail.com Hi, Apologies if my previous post was not clear. D...

Take long time to check new mails
When I click 'Sync', the 'Checking Mail...' takes a long time (about 1 minute) to complete even when I don't have any new messages. And when I close the program while syncing, a dialog box remains for about 1 minute displaying 'Downloading all messages from..' for every IMAP folder. I usually click 'Sync' to check for new messages. And because auto syncing on start up is enabled, when i just open the program to have a quick look at an older e-mail, the program cannot be closed instantly. Every other client I have used doesn't take more...

junk emails
how do I stop receiving blank junk emails that are usually 200 a day? Dave895 wrote on Sat, 03 April 2010 00:37 > how do I stop receiving blank junk emails that are usually 200 a day? With the company that hosts my E-mail( The Message center) they use Google app PostInin and you are allowed to black list or block a sender. If you do not have this ability you can block a sender with in Outlook. Tools > Options > Junk E-mail > Block Senders. Hope this helps. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com "Dave895" <Dave895@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

sending publisher designed e-mails for everyone to see
I sent a publisher designed newsletter via e-mail once and the recipient wasn't able to read it because they didn't have a Publisher or they didn't have the proper document viewer. So my concern in designing an e-mail via Publisher 2003 is will the recipient be able to see the design even if they don't have publsher as well? I know how to design one via publisher but I want eveyone to enjoy your software and my labor :-) thanks Coolbreeze <Coolbreeze@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I sent a publisher designed newsletter via e-mail ...

Junk mail not moved to Junk folder
When I first installed Outlook 2003, I could right-click on an email and inform Outlook to add this sender to the list of junk mail and then Outlook would automatically move the email to the junk folder. Recently, I had to reinstall Outlook 2003. Now, after telling Outlook 2003 to add this sender to the list of junk email senders, the message stays in my inbox and I have to delete it. I've searched all the options screens but can't figure this one out. Appreciate any help. ...

E-mails don't apprear in the others users
Hello In the company we have Exchange Server 2000 and Outlook 2002 and 2003. I actived the option "Chached Mode" with Exchange. The Sales Force users to travel a lot and they work from any computer in the domain and they have access to e-mails. But when I actived the "Cached Mode" option one copy local was done in one computer and the other computers can't read the e-amils. How I can do to work with "Chached Mode" and in the same time be able to work with others computers? Or how can I restore this e-mails in the server to work with Outlook 2002 like ...

using Outlook Express for yahoo mail
Is it possible to use Outlook Express to check the email on my yahoo account? Does anyone know what to put in for the pop 3 server when using yahoo? Any setting would be appreciated.. Thanks for the help...tcoop Tom This is the wrong group. This group is for OL (Outlook) You might want to try the microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress on this same server. To answer your question as far as I know yes it is possible and you will have to contact yahoo for their pop3 and smtp server ady's Peter "Tom C" <c_tom@nospam.net> wrote in message new...

junk email #10
I know how to label junk emails and have them killed befor they come in but lately have been getting emails with nothing in the sender field. The junk email feature adds the sender to the blocked senders list and it won't accept a blank. I would like to block any emails coming in with a blank senders field. Any ideas?? Tnx Loretta Loretta Pirozzi <seattlewalks@msn.com> wrote: > I would like to block any emails coming in with a blank > senders field. Create a rule that deletes all messages _except_ if they contain some character in the sender field. -- Brian Tillman...

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS MLM PROGRAM(turn $3.7 in to 1,434,892.8 by e-gold) #2
It's NOT illegal and it is NOT a scam !!!!!. Hello every body , Im Behrooz Farhangirad , After so much seeking and asking about a good MLM program that not to be a fraud , guaranteed earnings, low investment with a high and fast payments , pay with e-gold , free and simple join and some other services for free such as advertising ,.... I m be glad to introduce one of them , I joined to this program two weeks ago, and i have got a good result ,you can see my earning bill if you want ,contact me. I strongly recommend you to join , follow me: 1) You should open an e-gold account for...

Relief "JUNK" sensitivity
Hi, In a 2k3 Exchange, I was configuring RPC over HTTP (I am not certain if that had anything to do with the problem I am posting here) and suddenly busniess emails: 1 - Are sometimes considered JUNK. 2 - Are being delivered to my email box (I have administrator priviliges.) How to: 1 - Reliefe sensitivity on junk mail classification? 2 - Even if considered junk, how to direct those emails to their destined box? Thanks Yba The answer to your questions depend on: What anti-spam solution(s) are you using? Are these buisness emails originating internally or comming from an external sources ...

Outlook 2000 SP3 stops sending mail with smtp
Hi all ! There suddenly was some error while sending mail and the message stated I should delete and recreate the service. I did that, but after this mails could not be sent. Old services still could be used to send, but after deleting and recreating them they did not work either. I updated Office and Windows 2000 but this did not help. I repaired the Office installation, but this did not help either. I then reconfigured mail support from Office/Workgroup to Internet only. This made the problem disappear. Cheers, Hugo ...

e-mail problem
when crm e-mails are sent the receiver only gets the subject , the body of the message never arrives. the e- mails are all blank. any one had this problem I had this problem early on in 1.0, but could never reliably duplicate it. The thought was that CRM didn't like sending within the domain. Try sending to an account outside the domain that forwards back into the domain. HTH, Dave >-----Original Message----- >when crm e-mails are sent the receiver only gets the >subject , the body of the message never arrives. the e- >mails are all blank. any one had this problem ...

Rules and Junk e-mail conflict
I have outlook 2003. I have 5 pop3 e-mail accounts that outlook checks. I have rules set up for each one to move e-mail that is recieved from account "a" to inbox folder "a". Each account has its own inbox. The problem is when mail is recieved it first goes into the junk folder, then into the acounts inbox. It seams like the junk mail and rules are conflicting. I would like it if mail that is sent to the junk folder is not put back into the inbox. Ed, Did you ever get an answer to this? I would like to know the answer to this as well... Missy "Ed...

Constraint Violation when attempting to forward e-mails among AD
Constraint Violation when attempting to forward e-mails among AD Domains: We have 2 different domains/Forests with a Trust between and 2 different Exchange servers. Both running Windows 2003 with Active Directory. Domains trust each other and everything is accessible both by IP and netbios name; servers can be browsed by either site location. Here's where my problem is: I want to forward a copy of all e-mail from site B to an account in site A. When I go into his account properties in AD Users and Computers at Site B, and attempt to forward th...

junk mail not junk- how to designate as not junk
I receive an email and it is automatically sent to junk box but it is not junk. I move it to the In Box but it still thinks it is junk. I do not find a designation "this is not junk". How do I tell Outlook it is not junk? using outlook 2002 SP3. thanks for YOUR assistance. -- Gene "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75125475-4CF6-4224-8F28-60855DDB12A3@microsoft.com... >I receive an email and it is automatically sent to junk box but it is not > junk. > I move it to the In Box but it still thinks it is jun...

Junk messages comimg via my website form Please help
A bit long sorry......... I have a form on a page of my website. It gives my possible customers a chance to contact me with enquires or comments. The messages come direct to my email. The problem I am finding is that I am getting messgaes via this well which I think are VERY INAPPROPIATE (if you know what I mean) Does ant one know how I can stop these as I am finding it a little distressing. A customer has also contacted me and said she sent me a messgae which I did not recieve so I am also wondering if there is some kind of possible virus attached. Please help! Naomi Naomi, Hm...

Queue state "retry"
Hello, I have an exchange 2003 box and when I send a message outbound the queue state changes to retry and will eventually send me a DNR. any ideas? Peretz "Peretz Stern" <peretzstern@verizon.net> wrote: >I have an exchange 2003 box and when I send a message outbound the queue >state changes to retry and will eventually send me a DNR. any ideas? When you select the queue, look at the bottom of the queue viewer and find the reason the queue is in the retry state. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

Highlighting Disappears When MS Word 2007 Document is E-Mailed
I have spent hours highlighting a document in Office 2007 Word running on XP. When I send it to my home computer running the same Office 2007 Word running on W7, the highlighting is gone. What is causing this? How can it be fixed? ...

I cannot send mail from my outlook, only receive. Solution?
I have no problem using my ISP for any other of my email accounts, but I can only receive mail from my outlook acct. I cannot send mail either drafting a new message or replying to another message. Please help. I'm computer stupid. Thank you Dawn wrote: > I have no problem using my ISP for any other of my email accounts, but I > can > only receive mail from my outlook acct. I cannot send mail either > drafting a new message or replying to another message. > Please help. I'm computer stupid. > Thank you Any error message? Can you use the test setting in Accou...