Journaling...

I have a client that is using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and they have
journaling enabled that saves a copy of all messages to a public folder.  I
will change this to go to a mailbox in the near future to go to a mailbox,
but this is their current configuration.

The majority of messages are being journaled, but some are not.  I can't
identify a pattern, but there are some spam messages in the Junk mail folder
(can't believe I am complaining about SPAM) in Outlook that do not appear in
the public folder.  There are other messages like newsletters that also do
not appear in the journal.  Other newsletters from two months ago are in the
public folder, the same newsletters from one month ago are not.  The concern
is that legitimate e-mail is not being archived.

I have no explanation for the client.  Could it be that the archive is going
to a public folder and not a mailbox?  Surely, the problem can't be that
simple.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks!
0
Ted (71)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:50:38 -0700, Ted
<Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a client that is using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and they have
>journaling enabled that saves a copy of all messages to a public folder.  I
>will change this to go to a mailbox in the near future to go to a mailbox,
>but this is their current configuration.
>
>The majority of messages are being journaled, but some are not.  I can't
>identify a pattern, but there are some spam messages in the Junk mail folder
>(can't believe I am complaining about SPAM) in Outlook that do not appear in
>the public folder.  There are other messages like newsletters that also do
>not appear in the journal.  Other newsletters from two months ago are in the
>public folder, the same newsletters from one month ago are not.  The concern
>is that legitimate e-mail is not being archived.
>
>I have no explanation for the client.  Could it be that the archive is going
>to a public folder and not a mailbox?  Surely, the problem can't be that
>simple.
>
>Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Journaling to a public folder is not recommended because you will not
capture everything,
Once you move to a mailbox, take a look at envelope journaling.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/journaling.mspx

0
adavid (8731)
8/16/2005 4:28:01 PM
Thank you for the response.  I'll will implement the mailbox solution right
away.  Meanwhile, do you have any explanation of or situations in which items
would not be captured in the public folders?

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:50:38 -0700, Ted
> <Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a client that is using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and they have
> >journaling enabled that saves a copy of all messages to a public folder.  I
> >will change this to go to a mailbox in the near future to go to a mailbox,
> >but this is their current configuration.
> >
> >The majority of messages are being journaled, but some are not.  I can't
> >identify a pattern, but there are some spam messages in the Junk mail folder
> >(can't believe I am complaining about SPAM) in Outlook that do not appear in
> >the public folder.  There are other messages like newsletters that also do
> >not appear in the journal.  Other newsletters from two months ago are in the
> >public folder, the same newsletters from one month ago are not.  The concern
> >is that legitimate e-mail is not being archived.
> >
> >I have no explanation for the client.  Could it be that the archive is going
> >to a public folder and not a mailbox?  Surely, the problem can't be that
> >simple.
> >
> >Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>

> Journaling to a public folder is not recommended because you will not
> capture everything,
> Once you move to a mailbox, take a look at envelope journaling.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/journaling.mspx

0
Ted (71)
8/16/2005 5:16:07 PM
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:16:07 -0700, Ted
<Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for the response.  I'll will implement the mailbox solution right
>away.  Meanwhile, do you have any explanation of or situations in which items
>would not be captured in the public folders?

Public folder wont archive all the reports. I do not have a list of
all the items that will not be archived, but its one of those "By
design" thingys. :)

>"Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:50:38 -0700, Ted
>> <Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a client that is using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and they have
>> >journaling enabled that saves a copy of all messages to a public folder.  I
>> >will change this to go to a mailbox in the near future to go to a mailbox,
>> >but this is their current configuration.
>> >
>> >The majority of messages are being journaled, but some are not.  I can't
>> >identify a pattern, but there are some spam messages in the Junk mail folder
>> >(can't believe I am complaining about SPAM) in Outlook that do not appear in
>> >the public folder.  There are other messages like newsletters that also do
>> >not appear in the journal.  Other newsletters from two months ago are in the
>> >public folder, the same newsletters from one month ago are not.  The concern
>> >is that legitimate e-mail is not being archived.
>> >
>> >I have no explanation for the client.  Could it be that the archive is going
>> >to a public folder and not a mailbox?  Surely, the problem can't be that
>> >simple.
>> >
>> >Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>>

>> Journaling to a public folder is not recommended because you will not
>> capture everything,
>> Once you move to a mailbox, take a look at envelope journaling.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/journaling.mspx

0
adavid (8731)

outlook journals
Does anyone use the journal feature in outlook to jot notes down on a contact? I have used this feature and at some point I believe an archive has either deleted or hidden older notes in my journals. Any ideas as to if journal notes dissappear after a certain point or if the archiving feature in outlook does something to old journal entries? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, ...

windows journal hangs/ freezes when scrolling down
I am using journal with win vista and 7. Each time when i scroll down a few page in journal, it will hand and not respond. THIS ONLY HAPPEN TO PARTICULAR FILES ESP WHEN THE FILE SIZE IS BIGGER THAN 1mb ...

Journal
What does the Ck in Journal do? I know it is check but check what? Where are you seeing this? I just took a look around the Journal and didn't see a "Ck". -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Linda Kay Alkire" <lalkire@absc.org> wrote in message news:2a2e01c36811$02b22d30$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > What does the Ck in Journal do? I know it is check but > check what? ...

Using Journal to record daily tasks
Does anyone know how to make new journal entry types default to "task" instead of to "phone call?" Thanks, Marti ...

Help Journal Names
I use the Journal all the time to help track what I'm doing For journaling items such as excel files, and word documents, it would preferable to show just the name of the document rather than the full path to the document (which appears on mouse-hover anyway). My paths tend to be long, so the only way I can find the name of the document is to mouse over. Anybody know if there is a way to just display the document name - without the path information? Thanks for any advice. -- Dab Cut off: yourhead to respond ...

Journal Viewer
Hi, couple of questions on Journal Viewer 1. How do I make the Lookup in Journal Viewer to default to Current Date only (right now the From date has a week old date by default) 2. How do I customize the list of transactions window on the journal viewer so it shows the amount too? Thanks a lot in advance!!!! Did you ever get an answer as to how to default the journal viewer to the most recent batch rather that oldest to newest? I want to know the same answer. "TCWS" wrote: > Hi, couple of questions on Journal Viewer > > 1. How do I make the Lookup in Journal Viewer...

journal not there
Hi, Odd one. One of my users can't see his journal, it's enabled and logging things correctly as I can open it from my pc and see everything, and other poeple can also open it and view it. He can't see his journal on any pc if he logs in to it. He doesn't have a roaming profile. Any ideas? ...

Viewing Journals from outside SOM/POS
I'm using Report Server to view reports on my RMS database. I'd like to include the ability to view receipts from this environment. Does anyone know if there is a way to either 1. convert the Journal table's "compressed" image format into a common graphic format like .gif, or .bmp; or 2. launch the Journal Viewer from an API? -Dave The receipt image appears to be in a proprietary format. There has been a lot of discussion on here in the past about this. As far as I know there is no way to view them outside of RMS. There may be an add-on designed to do ...

missing journals
Hi Have you met problem with missing journals. I noticed that some transactions can not be viewed with journals module but while reporting, or checking database everything is fine (howeve I can not check journals in database becouse data is in binary field)? Have you ever encountered simillar problem and found solution? Regards Typically if you cannot view an existing journal it is because your default printer (whatever it is at the time) is not able to render the graphics. The journal viewer is totally dependent on the default printer driver to work correctly. "Adam" wrote: ...

outlook journal?
Hello, I have a simplequestion. I always use the calender, contacts and email options of outlook 2003, but I never used it "journal" If there is a calendar, what is the use of a journal? What is it for? Why is it called journal? For what purposes do you use it for example? I would appreciate if you can give precise examples. Thanks "exciter" <t24680@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eacEZRGmHHA.4132@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello, > I have a simplequestion. > I always use the calender, contacts and email options of outlook 2003, > but I never used ...

Importing into a general journal including AA info
Just wondering if anyone has imported into a general journal including analytical accounting information and what tools did you use to accomplish this? Thx You have several ways to do this: 1) You can use straight eConnect to integrate journal entries with analytical accounting information. 2) If you want to circumvent all the programming associated with eConnect you can look into eOne's SmartConnect, which uses a powerfull graphical interface to map data from various sources. For more info on SmartConnect visit http://www.eonesolutions.net Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MI...

what is the format of Journal Data in Journal Table?
I was wondering whether i can retrieve the data from Journal Table in VB application to view the printed documents. What is the format of this field and what is the suitable application should be used to view this journal content? Thx! NJ, I am trying to do same - as far as I can work out the data is a compressed (zip) version of the (partial) xml receipt. I have been able to extract the uncompressed receipt with the data but now I am trying to figure out how to display it - I am thinking that the XML parser has not been exposed in QS rules and that I have to build my own parser and displa...

Auto journal entry
I am using XP home and Outlook 2003. Please can anyone tell me if you can get appointments entered into the calendar to automatically be entered into the journal, and if so how? Or do you have to drop each appointment onto the journal to enter it in the journal? Thanks Shane ...

journal entry with multiple contacts
I would like to put a journal entry in each contact automatically when i do a mailing to a mailing to several contacts at the same time. (This is a print mailing, not email.) Also, I do not print the material or labels, it comes directly from my printer. Thanks ...

Old Journals
Can't figure out how to delete old journals. I go into View and the list comes up but when I press "delete" nothing happens. Anyone know what I'm missing? Krista wrote: > Can't figure out how to delete old journals. I go into View and the list > comes up but when I press "delete" nothing happens. Anyone know what I'm > missing? from administrator.. with sql statement. example: DELETE FROM Journal WHERE condition ... Antonio ...

PO Invoice Posting Journal
There are clients who save their posting journals who wish to in addition to the IV Variance report have the transactions Marked that there were Purchase Price/Cost Variances on the Purchase Order Invoice Posting Journal (when the items received previously cost is different from the Invoiced Cost). The desired issue is to have the report have a check mark indicating in a column that there was a variance when the transaction was posted. Report Writer does not allow this due to the table linking and the customer does not want to pursue Crystal Reports options. ---------------- This post ...

Journal Wrap
Followed the instructions in the event id to clear up journal wrap error and now things are not good. Been here before once, but can't remember the particulars on how to do the burflag restores. SBS 2003 server, and the kb articles are a bit confusing on whether to do authoritative or non-authoritative restore and if you have a pre-existing folder do you move the files and/or where you move the files to before starting the restore. Can someone layout the procedure? Would I do a D2 or a D4? Do I need to move the files from the pre-existing folder to where, before beginnin...

Using Journal to track time spent on Tasks
Hi - Like the Subject says, I'd like to use Journal to track time spent on Tasks. For example, say I determine that there are a number of tasks I need to accomplish for client Jones -- research , write memo, contact client, etc -- and I create the appropriate Tasks with Outlook. Supposedly, Journal will keep track of Tasks...but I haven't figured out an easy way to 'tell' Journal that i've started working on a particular task (or subsequently have stopped). thanks tom ...

Journal...
How do I make a journal entry for places that I visited on the internet and make it work on Excel 2002? -- "I'm one of those people that sit back and wonder 'what the hell just happened?'" Journal doesn't track Internet usage. Internet Explorer has a History folder that will catalog the places you visit and there may be some 3rd party tools that will suck that data into a format Excel can read. Also if you have a firewall it may have Excel-readable log files you could use. You should post this question in one of the Internet Explorer newsgroups. -- Aloha,...

what is journalism?
For you, what is journalism? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+journalism -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Master Masscom wrote: > For you, what is journalism? Do your own homework. -- Cheers! Gordon Bentley-Mix Word MVP "Master Masscom" <...

Why Journal?
I would like to further understand the journal feature. I have been experimenting with it but don't understand something. If I journal email and try to erase the orginal message that is in the inbox, the journal is in turn effected. Why journal then? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just save the original email and replies in a folder and archieve them? Seems strange to have two copies of the same thing. What I am seeking is for a way to put messages and all replies related to in one place without having to do a hundred steps. ...

Deleting Old Worksheets and Journals
Hi- we have had our RMS system implemented since July 2007. I am looking to do some system clean up of old journals and old worksheets since this has not been done since we implemented. I am thinking of writing some SQL statements and executing them in HQ Administrator but I wanted to know if anyone has done this before and if they foresee any issues or have any concerns. Thanks for your help. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0063_01CAD7D1.35018830 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-prin...

Journaling...
I have a client that is using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and they have journaling enabled that saves a copy of all messages to a public folder. I will change this to go to a mailbox in the near future to go to a mailbox, but this is their current configuration. The majority of messages are being journaled, but some are not. I can't identify a pattern, but there are some spam messages in the Junk mail folder (can't believe I am complaining about SPAM) in Outlook that do not appear in the public folder. There are other messages like newsletters that also do not appear in...

Mail loop when sending journaled mail off site
I am following a mail journaling guide found at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3Journal/bb50f14a-46dd-4b5a-95ba-21f3715ea02a.mspx and am doing full envelope journaling to an internal address that then forwards all email to an off-site SMTP address. The problem I have is that the mail from the internal journaling mailbox to the outside off-site address is journaled, then that journaled email is sent off-site and then journaled, then that journaled mail is sent off-site and journaled etc, etc and etc. I want to exempt mail from the internal journaling mailbox f...

Decompress Journal
I need decompress the ReceiptCompressed field into journal table. Somebody help me? att., JF We write RMS add on applications and are a gold ceritfied partner. Microsoft will not allow anybody to make changes to or extract information from the journal. It is encrypted and they will not provide the unencryption information or tell you how to extract or insert anything into the journal. We have requested this for a long time. your best bet is to export your "well filtered" sales report information into Excel and manipulate that information. FYI: The journal does not con...