it works now - can someone explain why

Thanks for your patience - this is what happened and how it was fixed.
I am not sure I understand the exact problem - and why the fix worked.
I would like to know for sure.
Our ISP today changed DNS servers - we had 2 setup in DHCP. They
called and told us that server 111.222.333.4 was to be replaced with
server 111.222.333.5.  I changed the DNS server settings on the DC. A
short while later our Exchange email failed to send or receive.
We have Exchange 2000 on a separate server from our Windows 2000 DC.
We are using POP3 mail not Exchange mail - don't ask I did not set it
up.
All users could use the Internet - none could use email. There is also
a web interface at mail.company.com- this did not work either.
I could ping the Exchange server by private IP - telnet by private IP.
But using ping to mail.company.com or using telnet to open
mail.company.com port - failed.
So after several calls to the ISP - give me a break here - I am in
Afghanistan - so don't even ask. I found someone (British) that I
could talk to.
He told me that they have 4 DNS servers - had retired one and that I
needed to change the DHCP setting on the DC to point to the new server
that had our records. Not all of them held the records. Well that part
I kind of knew - MX, Cname, Alias was broken. So now it is working
after having the users reboot.
It has got something to do with the POP3? (before you write I should
change this - read above.)
It seems that Outlook is querying the ISP DNS servers for the IP of
mail.company.com and because there we no records on the DNS servers
listed in DHCP the query failed - could not return an IP address and
so Outlook failed. Is this correct? We could use any DNS server in the
world (not that I would) and the Internet would function. It seems
from what happened today that this would not restore our email and
that we have to use only our ISP servers to resolve email. This is
where I am really confused. So if anyone in the world emails
company.com - it will go through - well sort of - massages were held
at the ISP. But for us to use email we must be able to resolve against
our own ISP servers?
If someone can tell me if I am correct and why it is that way I would
appreciate it. If this is wrong I would also like to know.
Thanks

0
2lm (2)

I reread your post three times, and I'm convinced that you had and/or have a
DNS problem.  I think you would be well served to better understand how DNS
works.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

<2lm@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for your patience - this is what happened and how it was fixed.
> I am not sure I understand the exact problem - and why the fix worked.
> I would like to know for sure.
> Our ISP today changed DNS servers - we had 2 setup in DHCP. They
> called and told us that server 111.222.333.4 was to be replaced with
> server 111.222.333.5.  I changed the DNS server settings on the DC. A
> short while later our Exchange email failed to send or receive.
> We have Exchange 2000 on a separate server from our Windows 2000 DC.
> We are using POP3 mail not Exchange mail - don't ask I did not set it
> up.
> All users could use the Internet - none could use email. There is also
> a web interface at mail.company.com- this did not work either.
> I could ping the Exchange server by private IP - telnet by private IP.
> But using ping to mail.company.com or using telnet to open
> mail.company.com port - failed.
> So after several calls to the ISP - give me a break here - I am in
> Afghanistan - so don't even ask. I found someone (British) that I
> could talk to.
> He told me that they have 4 DNS servers - had retired one and that I
> needed to change the DHCP setting on the DC to point to the new server
> that had our records. Not all of them held the records. Well that part
> I kind of knew - MX, Cname, Alias was broken. So now it is working
> after having the users reboot.
> It has got something to do with the POP3? (before you write I should
> change this - read above.)
> It seems that Outlook is querying the ISP DNS servers for the IP of
> mail.company.com and because there we no records on the DNS servers
> listed in DHCP the query failed - could not return an IP address and
> so Outlook failed. Is this correct? We could use any DNS server in the
> world (not that I would) and the Internet would function. It seems
> from what happened today that this would not restore our email and
> that we have to use only our ISP servers to resolve email. This is
> where I am really confused. So if anyone in the world emails
> company.com - it will go through - well sort of - massages were held
> at the ISP. But for us to use email we must be able to resolve against
> our own ISP servers?
> If someone can tell me if I am correct and why it is that way I would
> appreciate it. If this is wrong I would also like to know.
> Thanks

0
curspice6401 (3487)
2/4/2007 5:41:13 AM
Ed - you are exactly right - after I changed the DNS server settings
(IP address) in DHCP - - to the specific server they told me to use
and the users rebooted to obtain the new DNS servers via DHCP ( the
ISP DNS server they said I had to change it to) all was well.
Yes - it is a DNS problem. Maybe this is a dumb question - why must I
use a specific DNS server - form our  ISP? Any server would give us an
abiltiy to use the Internet - and this worked. But until each
workstation recieved the IP address of the new server they said we
must use - for MX, Cname et records - our users could not send or
recieve through Outlook and could not connect to the web interface at
mail.company.com and logon from there.
I just don't get this. it seems that our Outlook queries for
mail.company.com - (remember it is POP3) and if it finds no IP address
at our ISP server - because there are not records - it fails.
So what is all of this about?
Why must I use a specific server from the ISP in order to match IP to
mail.company.com?
Thank you  ED

On Feb 4, 9:41 am, "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <cursp...@mvpsnospam.org> wrote:
> I reread your post three times, and I'm convinced that you had and/or have a
> DNS problem.  I think you would be well served to better understand how DNS
> works.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> <2...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Thanks for your patience - this is what happened and how it was fixed.
> > I am not sure I understand the exact problem - and why the fix worked.
> > I would like to know for sure.
> > Our ISP today changed DNS servers - we had 2 setup in DHCP. They
> > called and told us that server 111.222.333.4 was to be replaced with
> > server 111.222.333.5.  I changed the DNS server settings on the DC. A
> > short while later our Exchange email failed to send or receive.
> > We have Exchange 2000 on a separate server from our Windows 2000 DC.
> > We are using POP3 mail not Exchange mail - don't ask I did not set it
> > up.
> > All users could use the Internet - none could use email. There is also
> > a web interface at mail.company.com- this did not work either.
> > I could ping the Exchange server by private IP - telnet by private IP.
> > But using ping to mail.company.com or using telnet to open
> > mail.company.com port - failed.
> > So after several calls to the ISP - give me a break here - I am in
> > Afghanistan - so don't even ask. I found someone (British) that I
> > could talk to.
> > He told me that they have 4 DNS servers - had retired one and that I
> > needed to change the DHCP setting on the DC to point to the new server
> > that had our records. Not all of them held the records. Well that part
> > I kind of knew - MX, Cname, Alias was broken. So now it is working
> > after having the users reboot.
> > It has got something to do with the POP3? (before you write I should
> > change this - read above.)
> > It seems that Outlook is querying the ISP DNS servers for the IP of
> > mail.company.com and because there we no records on the DNS servers
> > listed in DHCP the query failed - could not return an IP address and
> > so Outlook failed. Is this correct? We could use any DNS server in the
> > world (not that I would) and the Internet would function. It seems
> > from what happened today that this would not restore our email and
> > that we have to use only our ISP servers to resolve email. This is
> > where I am really confused. So if anyone in the world emails
> > company.com - it will go through - well sort of - massages were held
> > at the ISP. But for us to use email we must be able to resolve against
> > our own ISP servers?
> > If someone can tell me if I am correct and why it is that way I would
> > appreciate it. If this is wrong I would also like to know.
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

2lm (2)
2/4/2007 12:38:56 PM
I really can't answer what you're asking based on the limited information at
hand, and my lack of understanding how you have things configured.

In general, your internal users and your Exchange server should use your DNS
server, and your DNS server(s) should be configured to either use root hints
or your ISP's DNS server(s) as a forwarded.  Either should work, really.
The advantage of that approach is that you don't have to allow any hosts
except your DNS server(s) to pass port 53 through your firewall.  Most
companies I work with have their DNS configured this way.
--

> [...]
>> > It seems that Outlook is querying the ISP DNS servers for the IP of
>> > mail.company.com and because there we no records on the DNS servers
>> > listed in DHCP the query failed - could not return an IP address and
>> > so Outlook failed. Is this correct? We could use any DNS server in the
>> > world (not that I would) and the Internet would function. It seems
>> > from what happened today that this would not restore our email and
>> > that we have to use only our ISP servers to resolve email. This is
>> > where I am really confused. So if anyone in the world emails
>> > company.com - it will go through - well sort of - massages were held
>> > at the ISP. But for us to use email we must be able to resolve against
>> > our own ISP servers?
>> > If someone can tell me if I am correct and why it is that way I would
>> > appreciate it. If this is wrong I would also like to know.

curspice6401 (3487)

Send to Onenote on Windows 7, driver won't work?
I downloaded the driver from David Rasmussen, but every time I open OneNote after printing to XPS I get the message "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." If I click continue it still doesn't work. This was one of my favorite features - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find me a way to use OneNote! I lived off of it last year. Rilli wrote: > I downloaded the d...

auto caps don't work
in outlookk 2003, even tho i have set tools, options, spelling to autocorrect the first word of a sentence. it doesn't do it. i have never had this problem before, but now i have a new laptop and can't get this feature to work. -- tom martin Are you using Word as your editor? If so, your settings are there. Otherwise, learn to type. http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4713&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C4713&ysmchn=GGL&ysmcpn=Typing&ysmcrn=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50&ysmtrm=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50+mavis+beacon&ysmtac=PPC&ovtac=PPC&SR=s...

Hyperlinks to DB dont work now that DB is converted
We have converted all our Access 97 databases to Access 2000- not without a lot of issues. Most of them have now been researched and resolved, some re-coded, etc. We have one issue that we cannot resolve. We used to have hyperlinks on our Intra-net to several Access Databases. These were essentially "shortcuts" to the databases so that the general population could have easy access. Now that we did our Access conversion, the hyperlinks on our intranet do not work. Clicking on the link gives an option to open the file from its current location or download it to a local loc...

how to keep cell rounding to 2 places even when someone else pastes number with more.
At work, i receive spreadsheets of bonuses that can be derived from formula. however, when i copy and paste the info into our file fo payroll, it can only be 2 places, otherwise it kicks out an error. now, i've been here almost a year now and it's been near impossible t get the people who submit the file to make sure they ROUND the numbe to 2 places. i'm wondering if there is something i can do in the cell that when the paste their number in it, it automatically rounds. or if that's not possible, if there's a way for me to highlight column then have it round all t...

Search does not work for one workbook
I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it. Drives me crazy. What can this be. I see peoples names in there. Kevs OS 10.6.2 INTEL imac Office 2004 Hi Kevs: It could be the file format the workbook is saved in. What extension does the file-name have? The extension tells the system what kind of data a file contains, which controls which importer Spotlight uses to read the file: if there is no extension you could get strange results. Cheers On 6/01/10 2:47 AM, in article C7689F21.5718F%forums55@verizon.net, "forums55@verizon.net"...

working with temporary working files..
I keep getting the message that I cannot save a temp. working file. This work has been save on a cd and transfered back on to my desk top. Help ...

How does hibernate work
I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag to signal the system that it's in hi...

Non-working work week
Is there any way to make an entire week a non-working work week? As in, a task is going to take 25 days, but the 4th of July occurs in the middle and you want to show that during that week (or 2), no work will occur. Besides creating a new task or extending the task during. Thanks in advance! Hi RVE, Open up the calendar, "Tools", 'Change working time..', then simply select the days you want as non working. Make sure that the calendar you change is the Project calendar and is the basis for all other calendars such as individual resource calendars. Hope thi...

Graphing work and remaining work over time
I would like to generate a graph showing total actual work and remaining work for a top level task over time (week), This would enable me to show the projected remaining work through the duration of the project as it decreases from N to 0, and show the actual work completed though the duration of the project as it increases from 0 to N. The canned visual reports don't allow me to do this (that I can see anyway). Maybe I'm missing something. I also can't see how to customize a visual report that will do what I want. Using Microsoft Project 2007 (not the Server edit...

GP8 Manufacturing
Hello Everybody. Our Shop works 5 days a week (closed weekends). We have a WC that works 6 days a week (down Sundays only). We have setup both the Shop and WC Calendars to reflect this reality. We would expect that, when scheduling an MO that routes thru this WC, the WC calendar will override the Shop Calendar? However, our tests are not showing this to be true - We use a Backwards Infinite Scheduling Method and it always skips the weekend when calculating the start day of an MO regardless of the WC. Does anyone have any experience working with the WC Calendars? Please share your wis...

outlook2003 send button does not work
send button does not work i have tryed a new email acc. and reinstalling with no luck. now i am useing express and then export to outlook ...

Drag and Drop does not work
Hi all. This is funny: When I try to drag and drop a message from "Inbox" to "Backup" I get an error message. When I right click and select "move to folder"- it does work. ANY CLUES? TIA Guy Not a single one. No Outlook version = no clues. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Guy Cohen asked: | Hi all. | | This is funny: | When I try to drag and drop a message from "Inbox" ...

Internet Explorer E-mail links are no longer working in Outlook?
Hi, As soon as I click an e-mail link in Internet Explorer, another Outlook pops up. It used to just open a fresh new e-mail screen with the persons address already in the "TO:" line ? I can't figure out what I did wrong. Thanks, Rich ...

Spell check not working.

SunTrust Auto-Download Not Working after Banking Upgrade
I have been automatically downloading transactions from SunTrust since I installed MS$ 2007 Deluxe last year. I have done this without having to signup (for a fee of 5.95/month) with SunTrust for MS$ support. AFter the MS Banking Upgrade, I had to re-establish my SunTrust account with MS$. But, now I'm told (by MS$) that I don't have a SunTrust on-line account. Any thoughts? Anyone? I have been having issue as well with Suntrust, even if you get it to work you will find that its basically useless now downloading and duplicating pending transactions repeatedly, this is where I am ...

Working with option buttons in Word 2002
So, we are trying to create a form in Word 2002 in which we offer a series of radio or "option" buttons for some of our survey questions. However, we are struggling to make the option buttons work through the "Web Tools" toolbar. We can create the list we want to create, but can't save the file so it can be e-mailed and utilized in the correct capacity. Can someone please walk me through the steps of how to create a form in which there are numerous questions, almost all of which utilize the same clickable "option buttons" to choose either a &q...

Working with WORKS
We have some spreadsheets in WORKS 4.5 fpr Windows 95. But Excel 2000 won't open them. It says that the version is incompatible. How can that be if it is an older version of WORKS? Using Windows XP. -- ____________________ Bill DeShawn Please reply to group only Thank you http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.co...

Size of excel work book is not full screen
The excel work I have been sent is not full screen (about 3/4 size). Clicking on blue header does not make it full screen. It is not possble to stretch the window either. Maybe the workbook is protected with the windows option checked. Tools|Protection|unprotect workbook (if that option is available) You may need a password. Mike wrote: > > The excel work I have been sent is not full screen (about 3/4 size). Clicking > on blue header does not make it full screen. It is not possble to stretch the > window either. -- Dave Peterson ...

Autocalc not working
When I select a group of cells, in most of my excel docs, the sum of those cells is displayed in the bar at the bottom of the sheet. In some docs, it doesn't work. I've right-clicked on the bar and sum is checked, but nothing happens. Is this my fault? Most things are. TIA Steve In those "some" docs, the numbers are probably entered/pasted as Text, rather than numeric values. To convert them, copy a blank cell, select your 'numbers' and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values and Add radio buttons. In article <fa2gsk$oit$1@news.datemas.de>, ...

Vlookup or Hlookup does not work
Hi, I need a simple formula... seems very diffucult to get In Sheet 1 I have employee names on horizontal line and a lot of numbers in vertical line. In Sheet2, i Have emloyee names on vertical line and in horisontal line i want to set up formula in sheet2 so that it calcualtes total number for each month for each name as per below sample: Sheet1 John Month days January 5 january 3 january 4 February 10 March 6 TOtal 28 Sheet 2 JOhn January February March 12 10 6 or at least John and 28 days total. Take a look SUMIF ...

Autojournal not working (Ken???)
I've been researching an Outlook problem and see several posts by Ken on the topic. Unfortunately, the fixes don't work for me... I would like the "Create new Journal Entry when starting new call" checkbox to be checked by default. IOW, I want every call made with the autodialer to be logged. I believe I have followed Ken's registry instructions correctly, but without success. (Exported registry branch follows.) I had to create the "Enabled" value, but the others were already there and set. I am running WinXP and Outlook 2002 SP-2. Any thoughts why th...

Export works
Using Office 2003 - When I export from Outlook 2003 it work and creates the PST file. When I try to import, browsing for file, I cannot find the PST file to import? It is there when I use Windows Explorer? Is there a setting missing or what? Thanks Always choose your save locations carefully ;-) By default Outlook export to the following folder; C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ Make sure you include hidden and system files and folders when searching for pst-file. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creatin...

Which versions of Publisher work with XP?
I tried to install my old version of Publisher (the one that came with my Gateway, with Windows 95) and it wasn't compatible with XP. I don't use it very much, just to make cassette and CD labels, so I don't want to pay top price for a new one. I would rather buy an older, used version from eBay. Which are the versions of Publisher that would work with XP? Also, I never bought used software before. Is there some kind of built in thing that prevents a second buyer from installing it? -- Dave Schwartz Commack, NY if you don't want to spend any money - take a closer look ...

Speakers not working.
My computer speakers (small ones) stopped working. Tried some new ones... same problem..no sound. Could someone instruct me how to check the drivers or sound card. Thanks. Outlook question? You should check to see if your speakers are muted. Go to Control Panel, Sounds and go thru all the links--volume control will have a mute button. If there's a speaker icon on the lower right, use that to get to the controls. You should ask about this in the forum for your operating system. "Terry" wrote: > My computer speakers (small ones) stopped working. Tried some new ones.....