Is there a best practices FAQ, for using Volume Shadow Copy with Exchange 2003 databases?

We have Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 Standard.  I
would like to start taking 'snapshots' of the log and database volumes
regularly (4 times daily), as a way to do immediate interval restores of
our Exchange DBs rather than having to dump from tape.

Is there a best practices document, for doing this?

Thanks in advance.

NTBackup does not do snapshots of Exchange.  You would need to find a 3rd
party backup product that supports that.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Robert Gordon" <Robert.Gordon@nospam.dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> We have Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 Standard.  I
> would like to start taking 'snapshots' of the log and database volumes
> regularly (4 times daily), as a way to do immediate interval restores of
> our Exchange DBs rather than having to dump from tape.
>
> Is there a best practices document, for doing this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
Ben
8/18/2005 2:04:48 PM
That is not what I was asking.  Please reread the posting.

I am asking how Volume Shadow Copy deals with Exchange.  I understand
that VSS is not a backup tool. I simply want to know how it interact
with handling snapshotting a "live" database file system like Exchange.

Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP] wrote:
> NTBackup does not do snapshots of Exchange.  You would need to find a 3rd
> party backup product that supports that.

I don't believe VSS supports Exchange (at least not without 3rd party).  You
would need a provider that can guarantee that the database is in a
consistent state when the snapshot is taken.

-GT
> That is not what I was asking.  Please reread the posting.
>
> I am asking how Volume Shadow Copy deals with Exchange.  I understand that
> VSS is not a backup tool. I simply want to know how it interact with
> handling snapshotting a "live" database file system like Exchange.
>
> Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP] wrote:
>> NTBackup does not do snapshots of Exchange.  You would need to find a 3rd
>> party backup product that supports that.

0
GT

Outlook 2003 Certification
I am trying to get certified in Outlook 2003. I am using the Microsoft Press Inside Out book. I have found these books interesting and useful in the past. I have certs in MOUS Word and Excel 2002 already. Can anyone give me some advice who has taken the test. What is it like? What does it emphasize? Also, some links to practice exams would be nice. Last, I would appreciate some ideas in career searching on how to benefit from this certification. Thank you. Dustin ShrewdSpirit@hotmail.com ...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

Using HyperLinks in Outlook
When I insert a hyperlink in outlook and change the format to html, I am not allowed to create a "friendly" name. For example I want to say click here and make here the hyperlink to cnn.com. I cannot do this, but it works on another computer. Suggestions? ...

Can Korean IME be used in MS Publisher 2002?
Hi? Thanks for your interest! Could you tell me, whether I can use Korean IME in MS publisher 2002 to make Address Label in Korean? Thank you!!! Blake. ...

Group Membership
Here is a strange Exchange issue I encountered today. Maybe someone can pass this up to Microsoft. Exchange Native Mode, Active Directory in Interim (NT4/2003) mode, single domain Check this scenario out: I have three users (all mailbox enabled, not hidden in the GAL) Fred, Barney, Wilma I have three mail-enabled Global Security Groups and the following membership is shown (Why Global Security Groups? so the permissions can be used on Public Folders) Flintstones <- Fred, Wilma Workers <-Fred, Barney Bedrock <-Fred, Wilma, Barney I go into Outlook at look at the group membership (o...

how to use marco in excel
is any one know how to use Marco in excel and what is benefits to use it? Thanks a lot -- rnparikh ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rnparikh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25737 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391490 Yes we know how to use a macro, they are usually required to do something not built into Excel. But if you don't have a use, why do you ask? -- HTH Bob Phillips "rnparikh" <rnparikh.1sypmc_1122692712.2267@excelforum-nospam.com> w...

Automatically setting User account and exchange server
Hi All, How would I go about setting up possibly a login script that can automatically set up users account name and exchange server. I haven't really come accross what I'm after yet and was hopeing someone here would have an answer. Basically when a new user or a user with an outbox already; logs onto a different (or there first) machine that when they open outlook 2003 they have the settings for the server hosting exchange and thier user name automatically entered so that they don't need to contact us to have it sorted out. Thanks! Microsoft uses text files with a .prf exten...

Num Lock turned off when using SendKeys
Code is: AppActivate "MYOB Accounting", True Call DelaySeconds(0.5) SendKeys "{TAB}", True It's definately the SendKeys that turns the Num Lock off. -- Regards Tom On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:03:01 -0800, ThomasAJ <ThomasAJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Code is: > >AppActivate "MYOB Accounting", True >Call DelaySeconds(0.5) >SendKeys "{TAB}", True > >It's definately the SendKeys that turns the Num Lock off. Yep. This is one of many, many reasons to avoid SendKeys if at all possible. I don...

Hide Columns Using Numbered References
I'm trying to hide columns in a sheet using references to "numbered columns" instead of "lettered" columns, but I can't figure out the correct syntax. Someone please help. Thanks Sub TestCount() Dim MyCount MyCount = Range("A1").Value * 2 + 3 MyEndRange = 256 Columns("MyCount:MyEndRange").Hidden = True End Sub Columns(MyCount & ":" & MyEndRange).Hidden = True jrew23@yahoo.com wrote: > > I'm trying to hide columns in a sheet using references to "numbered > columns" instead of "l...

Exchange Migration Issue
Hello All, I have multiple copies of email in my user email accounts after migration. I used Exchange Migration Tool to Migrate email accounts from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. Since we did not switch over to the new server right away , there were 2 days of emails still pending to be imported so I used the Migration tool again to migrate emails filtered based on date, but it seems that exchange migration has migrated all emails again, and now users have 2 to 3 copies of each email. Is there a way to remove the duplicate copies ? if so how can I go about doing that? Any pointer...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

No debug with VS using Taskman shell?
Hallo Im currently upgrading our platform with a new CPU. Im making a new WinCE 5.0 image for the HW, but with the same "features" as the old one. Im using taskman as the shell. I have added the taskman source to the platform. I also have added the __SYSGEN_TASKMAN environment variable to the platform settings. This is in my platform.bib: IF __SYSGEN_TASKMAN==1 taskman.exe $(_FLATRELEASEDIR)\taskman.exe NK S ENDIF And this in my platform.reg: (Replacing explorer.exe) IF __SYSGEN_TASKMAN==1 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init] "Launch50"="task...

Archiving Exchange 1007
We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007. I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Adrian It should of course have read 'Archiving Exchange 2007'! "Adrian" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ol4984yWHHA.1120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007. > > I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails. > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. > > Adrian > As with pre...

Data not downloading to .xls file but it is in the database
OK, I am relatively familiar with Access 2003, but I have been asked to figure out why the data in that is entered into the database shows it when looking on the database but it is not generating it to the list of updated documents. Here is a bit of the background...I just started working at this company 2 days ago, well the file is an excel file but the path for the file is generated to a person's C: drive who no longer is employed here. I am trying to change that path...and am having no luck. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks! Is the file even on their machine? You...

New Exchange Installation
Hai friends, Iam Asaithambi, i have a plan to implement and install Exchange server 2003 in my office, but i had only " SMTP , POP3 ADDRESS AND registered domain, and have 10 user id's for that doamin. But important i have " no public ip address" if it is possible i have install and connect my domain, and send and receive my email's for that user id's Please help me to solve . You can receive SMTP mail without public IP, but you need some cooperation from you ISP (or whoever provides connectivity for you). Tell them that you are ...

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

Exchange 5.5 #27
How can I free up some disk space on my Exchange 5.5 Server. The folder called exchsrvr is 90GB in size. The following are taking up all the space on the Server: The Priv.edb and Pub.edb under the MDBDATA subfolder. Also, the IN and OUT folder under the IMCDATA subfolder which contain Archive Folders. VJ - When's the last time you ran a defrag on the database? I inherited a message store that I thought was huge - 10gb for a 20 person user base. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? kbid=143233 For information on where to begin. I gained 30% on the first run....

Exchange 2010 edge server and 2007 HT server
Hi, Does anyone know whether an Exchange 2010 edge server can work with a 2007 HT server with regards an edge subscription? There will probably not be any 2010 HT servers in the org for a while. We are looking into moving to a TMG ISA server with the 2010 HT server installed on it. Thanks. Andrew. Good question. This article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd346708.aspx#ESD seems to say that you can use an Exchange 2007 Hub Transport server in edge synchronization with an Exchange 2010 Edge server but you won't get all of the new Edge 2010 features. -- ...

What do you miss out on if you don't use Exchange?
When you use CRM3 without Exchange what do you miss out on? Antony Antony See the white paper at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2417E918-2E30-41DB-A3B2-2F800BF76FFE&displaylang=en Tells you all you should need to know Cozy "Antony" <info AT webpc DOT biz> wrote in message news:uxjZpqkWGHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > When you use CRM3 without Exchange what do you miss out on? > > Antony ...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

Insert, copy, update, delete records through VBA
Hi, I have an excel'07 database of employees where I have to add, update, delete records very often. Since it is not practical for me to open the excel file always, I wish to have a macro, which can help me to enter, update or delete records from an excel file and even generate report of employees based on the different criteria. It will be a great help if any one can help me with this. Regards, Raiju Update: Sub Macro1() Workbooks.Open Filename:= "C:\Path\file.xlsm" End Sub Add: Sub Macro1() Workbooks.Add End Sub "Raiju"...

Move a mailbox from 2003 to 5.5
Having problems moving a mailbox from 2003 to 5.5. It just fails, is this allowed? -- Thanks Paul "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@mnpower.com> wrote: >Having problems moving a mailbox from 2003 to 5.5. It just fails, is this >allowed? Yes. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm how are you trying to move it? from the ESM? "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@mnpower.com> wrote in message news:elpz17FGFHA.2824@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Having problems moving a mailbox from 2003 to 5.5. It just f...

How to use MFC code in an ATL service?
How to use MFC code in an ATL service? I have some MFC code and I need put it in an ATL service. How can I do it? Is possible create a service with MFC support? Thanks. Rui Oliveira ...

is it possible to use wildcards in hyperlinks?
was wondering if i can use wilcards to represent the file extensions when linking to file from excel? any help would be much appriciated thanks, I don't think I've ever seen any link like that--for sure, never in excel. jeegna wrote: > > was wondering if i can use wilcards to represent the file extensions when > linking to file from excel? > > any help would be much appriciated > > thanks, -- Dave Peterson ...

Maintain ACL while migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2003 Interforest?
Hello, I am close to a migration from an Exchange 2003 Administrative organization to another Exchange 2003 organization in another Domain, also known as a Interforest move of mailboxes. I will use the "Exchange migration wizard" to move the mailboxes, but ofcourse only after the use of ADMT to merge Groups/Users from the old domain. Is there any way to preserve the ACL's set on the mailboxes in the old exchange 2003 server, while moving to the new domain and exchangeserver? The documentation of the migration wizard states it will not move ACL, but are there workarounds ...