Is it possible to run multiple instances of ISINTEG and ESEUTIL?

We have about 8 different Exchange databases on our email server. I
want to run eseutil and isinteg on all of them this weekend. Is it
possible to open 8 different command prompt windows and run 8 jobs
simultaneously on 8 different databases? Can ISINTEG and ESEUTIL work
like this, or will I have a problem?

Thanks KC

0
test2005 (72)

Don't see a problem with that, as long as you have the storage and cpu to
support that kind of activity (depending on size of stores.... ).
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"KingCronos" <test2005@bgop.org.uk> wrote in message
> We have about 8 different Exchange databases on our email server. I
> want to run eseutil and isinteg on all of them this weekend. Is it
> possible to open 8 different command prompt windows and run 8 jobs
> simultaneously on 8 different databases? Can ISINTEG and ESEUTIL work
> like this, or will I have a problem?
>
> Thanks KC

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
3/9/2006 4:08:18 PM
Why?

You'd likely run into performance problems, especially if these stores
aren't on separate disk arrays.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"KingCronos" <test2005@bgop.org.uk> wrote in message
> We have about 8 different Exchange databases on our email server. I
> want to run eseutil and isinteg on all of them this weekend. Is it
> possible to open 8 different command prompt windows and run 8 jobs
> simultaneously on 8 different databases? Can ISINTEG and ESEUTIL work
> like this, or will I have a problem?
>
> Thanks KC

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/9/2006 5:05:35 PM
Well the 'Why' is so we can save time. However, I will not risk it if
there are potential problems. Thanks for the advice.

Why do you want to run ESEUTIL?  (Not why eight at a time.)
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"QH" <quentinhudson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well the 'Why' is so we can save time. However, I will not risk it if
> there are potential problems. Thanks for the advice.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/11/2006 8:06:24 AM
To defragment the mailstores and reclaim the space potentially
available after reducing the size of many mailboxes.

Hi,

You can only run one instance of eseutil at a time:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192185

Leif

"KingCronos" <test2005@bgop.org.uk> wrote in message
> We have about 8 different Exchange databases on our email server. I
> want to run eseutil and isinteg on all of them this weekend. Is it
> possible to open 8 different command prompt windows and run 8 jobs
> simultaneously on 8 different databases? Can ISINTEG and ESEUTIL work
> like this, or will I have a problem?
>
> Thanks KC

Do the 1221 application event log entries tell you that you have enough
space to reclaim to make this exercise worth the trouble?
--

> To defragment the mailstores and reclaim the space potentially
> available after reducing the size of many mailboxes.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/11/2006 8:41:29 PM
I'm not sure that's what the article says.  I'd certainly keep a copy of the
databases somewhere else before trying it though.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNO-SPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You can only run one instance of eseutil at a time:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192185
>
> Leif
>
> "KingCronos" <test2005@bgop.org.uk> wrote in message
>> We have about 8 different Exchange databases on our email server. I
>> want to run eseutil and isinteg on all of them this weekend. Is it
>> possible to open 8 different command prompt windows and run 8 jobs
>> simultaneously on 8 different databases? Can ISINTEG and ESEUTIL work
>> like this, or will I have a problem?
>>
>> Thanks KC

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/11/2006 8:43:29 PM
Maybe not, but thats how I read this: "The utility can run on one database
at a time from the command line."

Leif

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
> I'm not sure that's what the article says.  I'd certainly keep a copy of
> the databases somewhere else before trying it though.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNO-SPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can only run one instance of eseutil at a time:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192185
>>
>> Leif
>>
>> "KingCronos" <test2005@bgop.org.uk> wrote in message
>>> We have about 8 different Exchange databases on our email server. I
>>> want to run eseutil and isinteg on all of them this weekend. Is it
>>> possible to open 8 different command prompt windows and run 8 jobs
>>> simultaneously on 8 different databases? Can ISINTEG and ESEUTIL work
>>> like this, or will I have a problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks KC

Right.  One command line can run one database.  I'd bet that multiple
windows would run concurrently as long as the user specifies the temp file
name.  But I will admit that I haven't done it.  I'm not into performing
unnecessary maintenance.
--

> Maybe not, but thats how I read this: "The utility can run on one database
> at a time from the command line."
>
> Leif
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
>> I'm not sure that's what the article says.  I'd certainly keep a copy of
>> the databases somewhere else before trying it though.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNO-SPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You can only run one instance of eseutil at a time:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192185
>>>
>>> Leif
>>>
>>> "KingCronos" <test2005@bgop.org.uk> wrote in message

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/12/2006 12:45:57 AM
1.  On the exchange server, from the command line, you can only run one
instance at a time.  You could always copy the dbs and logs to another
server, or multiple servers if you want to do multiple databases in
parallel, but the copy process adds time to an already lengthy down time.
In a storage group, all stores share a common set of logs.  Even if you went
off box to do the defrag, you'd still be limited to a number of instances
equal to the number of storage groups you have.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244525/en-us

2.  Did you permanently remove a large amount of mail lately?  Have you
waited for the deleted items retention period to expire, and then background
maintenance and online defrag to complete?  If not, you won't reclaim
anything.  As stated in this thread, check your event ID 1221 to make sure
you'll reclaim enough space to make the down time worth while.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258951/en-us

3.  Be aware that for each store you plan to defrag you will need 110% the
size of the store free space on the volume; otherwise you'll have to use -t
and redirect somewhere else where there is free space. If you don't
defragment on the same volume, at the end of defragmentation, instead of
just renaming the temp.edb, eseutil has to copy and rename which will
require extra time.  Don't forget to run isinteg after eseutil.  This does
add even more down time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192185/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328804/en-us

4.  Contrary to urban legend, it's not a good practice to regularly do an
offline defrag.  Unless you have permanently removed a lot of mail, there's
nothing to be gained and a whole lot of downside.  Only do an offline defrag
when you absolutely need to.  If you are following the current MS guidance
for store/storage group layout, with 8 stores you have two stores in each of
four storage groups.  Even if you have removed a lot of mail, the
alternative process of mounting a new store, move mailboxes, and dismounting
and deleting the old store is a much cleaner route, accomplishes the same
space savings, and doesn't have anywhere near the down time down side.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890699/en-us

Is it really worth the effort and the down time to do the offline defrag?

my $00.02

John

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
> I'm not sure that's what the article says.  I'd certainly keep a copy of
> the databases somewhere else before trying it though.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <leif.pedersenNO-SPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can only run one instance of eseutil at a time:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;192185
>>
>> Leif
>>
>> "KingCronos" <test2005@bgop.org.uk> wrote in message
>>> We have about 8 different Exchange databases on our email server. I
>>> want to run eseutil and isinteg on all of them this weekend. Is it
>>> possible to open 8 different command prompt windows and run 8 jobs
>>> simultaneously on 8 different databases? Can ISINTEG and ESEUTIL work
>>> like this, or will I have a problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks KC

0
fullbrij1 (373)
3/12/2006 8:00:19 PM
Thanks for everyone who offered information. We ran eseutil to clear 50
GB of mail we had deleted from mailboxes from the mail stores and it
was a succesful operation. We were able to run multiple instances of
ESEUTIL, but we did not do more than two stores at a time (we tried 3
sessions of ESEUTIL and it was noticeabley slower). Next week ISINTEG!

0
test2005 (72)

Is it possible

Inventory posting for new year before running year end?
Hello, What happens if we post inventory transactions for new year without performing year end for 2008? Thanks, MS When you close inventory for 2008, beginning quantities are updated. If you've posted 2009 transactions, they will be included in the 2008 beginning quantity. There are a handful of inventory reports that use the Beginning Qty field, such as the Inventory Turns report. Hope this helps, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com Thanks Frank... Did you mean to say the posted transaction will be incu...

Running TZUPDATE on Resource Mailboxes
Had a thought - what if I were to log in to each resource mailbox in outlook and run the TZupdate tool to move meetings during the new DST rules. Would that send updates to all attendees for that appointment/resource? I was thinking it would be better/easier than going to each user mailbox. They would still have to run the TZUPDATE to move all appointments, but it might save the hassle and frustration of showing up for meetings at the wrong time or when a room is full of people already. Thoughts? Thank you On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 03:31:02 -0800, TheITDude <TheITDude@discussions.microsoft...

Trendline and multiple data series
I have a scattergraph with four data series. Is there a way of inserting a trendline which covers all four series? Thanks in anticpation Create a helper column that combines all the data series ... Jerry Blackcat wrote: > I have a scattergraph with four data series. Is there a way of inserting a > trendline which covers all four series? > > Thanks in anticpation ...

Personal Folders in OWA

how to run application(exe) in browser
hi, i have application, it's runs in local machine.i want to run application in browser. <arumuthu@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2062e55f-d173-476e-b241-58602bf9d6a5@u36g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > hi, > i have application, it's runs in local machine.i want to run > application in browser. There is no magic bullet for this. You will need to develop an ActiveX control which can be then hosted in a browser. -- Ajay A lot of us are rewriting applications that need to be hosted in a browser using ASP.NET/C# and maintaining a native version and a web version....

Sort across multiple worksheets in a workbook
Hi, I have a workbook in Excel 2003 that has 10 worksheets each laid out identically with the same one-line header having 8 columns but varying number of rows, say R1, R2... ...R8 that is are added to daily. I expect in time the total number of rows in the 10 worksheets will exceed 65536, the limit on rows in any worksheet. Is there a way to sort all the entries in the workbook by, say, Column E in all the 10 worksheets and either dump the resulting sorted data in the existing worksheets or in new worksheets in the same/new workbook? If need be, I can abandon the labels on worksheets 2 -...

Outlook runs slow
After downloading and installing an optional backup add-in from the microsoft website, i have noticed that outlook runs very slow now. Whenever i recieve new emails, there is a long delay when i select it to when the email actually appears. As well as when i delete it or adjust them in any way. This has caused me to delete wrong emails because i can't tell which one is selected because the delay in highlighting and bringing up the current email. Anyon have any idea why this is happening? Thanks for any help, Adam If you have Outlook 2002, try going to Tools -> Options -> Other...

Multiple Excel Charts to PowerPoint
OK, I think I have a question that will stump even the best of you! :) I have several worksheets that contain multiple charts. I want to copy the charts from Excel to PowerPoint with one chart to a slide. I can do so one at a time by copying and pasting them. The drawback is that it takes lots of time to do this because I'm working with 250+ charts. My question is if there is a way to quickly export the charts to PowerPoint so that each slide contains a different chart. Partway through this article you'll find programmatic approaches to that very problem: http://peltier...

run time error 380 #3
Pls this morning when i try to print receipt with my POS printer i had this error message "run time error". pls how to solve this problem? ...

Add multiple domains to spam deny list and real time sbl
Hi, What file can I open in Exchange 2003 to add a list of domains I want to prevent from sending spam, so that I do not have to add each one individualy. Also, how do you set up Exchange 2003 to check the sbl.spamhaus.org real time listing. They list the sites to block and say you can connect to them for free. Can anyone please help? ...

Only run if check box is checked
I have some code that I only want to be run if a check box is checked. So I inserted an ActiveX check box which I have named cbRecord. I then put the following IF around the code which is initiated by clicking a spinner form control: If cbRecord.Value Then .... .... .... End If However, when the code is run I get the following error: Run time error '424': Object required. When I go to debug, the code doesn't even know that my check box exists. TIA...Geoff Try If Sheets("Sheet1").CheckBoxes("Check Box 1").Value = xlOn Then '...

pictures in various shapes
Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of time. with a graphics editor -- Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP - FrontPage "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:014D0D06-15F9-4D92-8D93-64FBD3A9CA32@microsoft.com... | Is it possible to insert a picture and make it into a circle or an oval or | various other shapes than just squares and rectangles? Thank you ahead of | time. | | Stephanie wrote: > Is it possible to insert a pict...

deleting unwanted columns in multiple worksheets
Hello All, am newbie to excel, i have a workbook which has multiple worksheets and all these worksheets contains many unwanted columns. i would like to develop a macro which will keep only the columns that i need in all the worksheet. Please help me in this regard What criteria determines if the column is not wanted? "Vikram" <Vikram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA2E6FA2-3146-4CC9-BA72-E55D19CAB820@microsoft.com... > Hello All, > am newbie to excel, i have a workbook which has multiple worksheets and > all > these worksheets ...

Is this possible
I want to make a list of the files in several different folders. Is it possible to somehow "Copy and paste" just the filenames into a list, in either Word or Excel or Wordperfect. I am just trying to sort the files in several different folders to weed out duplicates. There has got to be an easier way then typing them all or screen printing the lists and manually weeding them out. Any suggestions. Frustrated... Hans, Here is some code that will start in a directory and list all files in that and any sub directories. It uses recursion to go through all the subs. Just ch...

Is this Possible ?
Hi Have a newsletter document with text boxes that have no outlines but internal gradient colour fills. Is it possible that a macro could remove all colour fills in one hit just leaving the text in place ? many thanks Dim oShape As Shape For Each oShape In ActiveDocument.Shapes If oShape.Type = msoTextBox Then If oShape.Line.Visible = msoFalse Then oShape.Fill.Visible = msoFalse End If End If Next oShape should clear the fill from text boxes that are filled and have no border. -- <>>< ><<> ><&l...

Excel to PDF produces multiple PDF's instead of one.
I posted this about a year ago, received a reply that may have involved a registry fix, successfully implemented the fix, and, since it was no longer a problem, promptly neglected to save the information. Now, after some reloaded software, the problem has arisen once more and I don't have/remember the correction. I do recall (I think) that the correction was on the Excel side of the Excel/PDF equation. So I humbly and ashamedly ask the same question again: Configuration: Adobe Acrobat Pro 6.01 Windows XP SP1 Excel 2003 I have an Excel spreadsheet with multiple sheets, each of wh...

How to make "Report" run for specefic 'Date' or other criteria?
I can use something like... Like [Enter Date w/o leading zeros like 4/2/2007] & "*" into a query... then build a Form on that query... Then run the Form And Access will pupup a screen and ask for a date. How can we do this when we run a "Report" on the same Query? thanks for any help. Mel <MyEmailList@gmail.com> wrote in news:1184184721.213826.274340@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com: > I can use something like... > > Like [Enter Date w/o leading zeros like 4/2/2007] & "*" > > into a query... then build a Form on that query... Th...

Is Batch Marking Possible?
Hello, I am doing a mass mailing from Outlook. I will print 50 address labels per day. Is there a way for me to batch-mark the contacts for which I print a label? Thanks, Talal Itani ...

Remove Security for RUN option in Tools
How to remove the security access for RUN in Tools menu for Integration; Tools - Integration - Run. I have removed the security for Integration site enabler for the users, but cant seem t remove the security for RUN option. I am on Version 8.0 Samit Samit, What a great issue! The thing I have found to do is to either remove the dex.ini reference, take it out of the Dynamics.set file or uninstall IM from the client. If you need it installed on the client use a before integration VBA script to password protect the integration - this will prevent anyone from running the integration if they ...

Multiple Exchange servers and IMAP
If I have mutiple Exchange servers deployed within my AD environment, is it possible to have IMAP enabled on just 1 and be able to log onto an account on a seperate server for example? I know this is possible in a GroupWise setup for Example where we would have the ability to log in via the GWIA. Hi No you would require IMAP enabled on the server that hosts the users mailbox, but If you ran a front end server you could have a single connection address but this still requires IMAP enabled on each of the backend servers, as well as the front end server. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MVP Exchan...