Is it normal for a pst file to expand when imported into an ost fi

I had a 2+GB pst file that when imported into my exchange cached environment
grew to approximately 20GB.  Of course this wreaked havoc on the user's
mailbox, and I am now having synchronization and all kind of wierd problems.
I guess my first question is,  is it normal for a pst file to grow on import?
Also, on that import, is it possible for the original pst file to become
corrupt, or smaller after the import.  I fear that I may have lost some
messages in the import

0
BookerW (46)

In news:88546C4E-0213-4C63-A237-DBF5280576B3@microsoft.com,
BookerW <BookerW@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I had a 2+GB pst file that when imported into my exchange cached
> environment grew to approximately 20GB.  Of course this wreaked havoc
> on the user's mailbox, and I am now having synchronization and all
> kind of wierd problems. I guess my first question is,  is it normal
> for a pst file to grow on import? Also, on that import, is it
> possible for the original pst file to become corrupt, or smaller
> after the import.  I fear that I may have lost some messages in the
> import

I've never seen data in a PST file grow that much, but I rarely import -
I'll usually just open the PST file & copy in what I want. If you still have
the original PST file, you might want to run ScanPST against it (or rather,
a copy of it).... ?

0
lanwench (7567)
8/10/2005 4:18:32 AM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I've never seen data in a PST file grow that much, but I rarely import -

That's what happens when the mailbox is full of read receipts,
delivery receipts, and other messages that have MAPI forms that aren't
"default" forms. The move to the pst copies not just the message but
also the MAPI form -- for EACH MESSAGE!

The PST can bloat to a pretty impressive size. :)

I'd bet the PST was either damaged or the there was some other
problem. Moving a message from a PST to a mailbox usually compresses
the data so the mailbox is smaller than the PST -- unless there's some
really good compression inside that pst!

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

In news:4ablf1ttvda0kv8t4p5ruca3t3ria66el6@4ax.com,
Rich Matheisen [MVP] <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> typed:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
>> I've never seen data in a PST file grow that much, but I rarely
>> import -
>
> That's what happens when the mailbox is full of read receipts,
> delivery receipts, and other messages that have MAPI forms that aren't
> "default" forms. The move to the pst copies not just the message but
> also the MAPI form -- for EACH MESSAGE!
>
> The PST can bloat to a pretty impressive size. :)
>
> I'd bet the PST was either damaged or the there was some other
> problem. Moving a message from a PST to a mailbox usually compresses
> the data so the mailbox is smaller than the PST -- unless there's some
> really good compression inside that pst!

Eeek!
But isn't importing different from moving/copying?

0
lanwench (7567)
8/12/2005 4:47:31 PM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>> I'd bet the PST was either damaged or the there was some other
>> problem. Moving a message from a PST to a mailbox usually compresses
>> the data so the mailbox is smaller than the PST -- unless there's some
>> really good compression inside that pst!
>
>Eeek!
>But isn't importing different from moving/copying?

Yes. That's why I followed with the speculation about the PST being
damaged or using _really_ good compression. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Save custom captions in other template than normal.dot
Hi, I am running word 2003 SP3. I am creating templates that should be distributed to many users and I like to create a custom caption. Is there a way to save the custom caption to the template I create instead of to the normal.dot. If not, is there a smart way to get this custom caption "automatically" transferred into my created template? Very greatful for any help, this is a major showstopper for me. Thanks in advance /Maria Unfortunately no. Caption labels can only be saved in the Normal template. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Maria...

pst file from outlook 2000 import into outlook 2002- 84meg
Another post with tons of info. The subject line is for the subject. The detail goes in the body. "michael" <mmirolla@globalrealtyexchange.com> wrote in message news:022a01c35794$34cd1e20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > ...

After compaction PST file is nearly twice the size of "Personal Folders"
I regularly compact my Outlook PST to keep the file size small for easy backup. When I compact the PST, it shrinks to 85MB. My "Personal Folders" folder, which contains ALL other folders, has a cumulative size (including all subfolders) of 45MB. I can't figure out what takes up the extra 40MB in the PST. Do you have any suggestions on what takes up this extra space and how I can reduce/compact it? Thanks for your help! Try running Compact Now a couple of times. Also doing a (boot)defrag on your harddisk and running Compact Now afterwards decreases the file size. -- Road...

Export .pst file...
Hello, I am trying to export my .pst file to my bosses computer so that he can have a record of my customer emails...I am having a problem.. For some reason when I try to attach the .pst to an email I get a message "operation failed"...When I "zip" the .pst file up and try to attach it it is fine..But when we "unzip" the file on the target computer, there are 0 KB??? Are there rules/preferences somewhere that I am not seeing that does not allow me to export a .pst file off from this computer?? thx Mike <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Macro to save a file as a PDF
How do I end off a written macro to save my file as a PDF using a specific field as the file name ? Excel doesn't have the ability to save as a PDF file, so the reply to your question would depend on what program you are using to create the PDF file. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "ynissel" <ynissel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4292C97-D78C-4C1D-9143-02B99738EAC9@microsoft.com... > How do I end off a written macro to save my file as a PDF using > a specific > field as...

Re-import Published Web
I was curious about Publisher 2003 functionality. So I started fooling around with it. I created a website (kind of) in a few hours time that I will be constantly updating since the text in it are things I was blurting out at the time. It is http://drohr.000k.net So, as you can see I have a Publisher 2003 web site. Now, my desktop systems motherboard screwed up (bad ASIC chip) and I need a new one. OK. I am on my laptop for a while. My Publisher file (.pub) is on a SCSI hard drive that I cannot acces now or for a while. I "published" my site, which create an 'index.htm&#...

Can't convert a Quicken file
I have been downloading the Money trial version for the past three years in hopes that MAYBE I can actually switch from Quicken. Unfortunately for the last three years I have not been able to convert my Quicken data file, which has about 18 years of data, using the Money wizard. Every time (or year is this case) I attempt to use the wizard, the progress bar goes about 75% complete and an error message appears saying that my Quicken data file could not be converted... no reason or explanation. I have tried various means to validate my Quicken file.. I have even copied only the last ...

Auto Expand fineky
Hello I have devised a table and associated lookup tables which work fine on the form. However the auto expand will work sometimes but not others. Anybody have any ideas On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 11:49:04 +0930, "Tony" <tony_mason@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hello > >I have devised a table and associated lookup tables which work fine on the >form. > >However the auto expand will work sometimes but not others. > >Anybody have any ideas Not without more detailed information, no. You can see your computer... we can't! -- ...

attachment file order
Outlook 2003 new message plain text mode I insert 10 jpg images as attachments. They appear in the attachment window in the order I inserted them. How can I rearrange them to change the order they appear in the window so people who receive the e-mail will open them in the proper order? Dale Embed them in the html message body instead of attaching them? Otherwise, you can't control which one they click on first or which they open first after saving them. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual Qui...

How to insert an MPG file into PPT 2007
Hi i have a presentation to do. I would like to add a home movie mpg file into one of the slides, so that when the show gets to the slide, it will play the video. I have gone Insert, movie, movie from file, and then added it to the slide, and asked for automatic playing, but i just seem to get a black square and no video. Can anyone please help me with this. Its for an award my dept are hopefully goiing to win based upon our presentation, so really hope i can get this working. Many Thanks Matt -- Matt Lynn Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Please, transco...

Outlook .pst files, How do I open them?
I changed to a new computer and when I called up my Outlook program all previous e-mails and folders were not there. I had slaved my old HDD to the new computer and through hunt and peck found a large (185kb) .pst file. How do I access or open it? Are my address book and folders in this file? All of your Outlook data (mail, appointments, contacts, tasks, notes, etc.) should be in that .PST file. Open it in Outlook using File | Open (don't try to open it using Windows or any other program). It will open in your Folder List. If you provide your Outlook version, I can tell you how to...

Normalization
How can i normalised my data to 1NF, 2NF and 3NF using excel. Normalizations usually involve the transformation of data in the format y=a*x+b Let's put you a-factor in A1 and your b-factor in B1. If your raw data is in C1 thru C100, then in D1 enter: =$A$1*C1+$B$1 and copy down -- Gary's Student "Jar" wrote: > How can i normalised my data to 1NF, 2NF and 3NF using excel. Excel isn't a database, so it doesn't support relational database concepts. (assume 1NF means first normal form and so forth as defined by Codd). -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Jar"...

32Mb file
I have a problem. One spreadsheet has 10 tabs with each tab detailing various bits of information, containing links and hidden columns etc. The whole file is only 2Mb and works perfectly fine. I copied and pasted all tabs separately (paste special formats, then paste special values) to a new spreadsheet - note this only has values and formats in it has ballooned to 32 mb and keeps crashing my system. I have no links in the new sheet and I cant understand what is taking up the memory when its simply and value file. Can any of you Excel whizzo's help me out, I am going round in circles. Che...

Opening .mdi Files
I installed the trial version of Office 2007 Small Business, and I still can't open .mdi files. I went to the control panel to change features, and it has X'ed out all office tools features, and I can't convince it to let me have them. Is this normal? The trial download literature says it has all available features. -- geickmei see if you have any control via safe mode. office is functional in safe mode as well. -- db·´¯`·...¸><)))º> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional - Systems Analyst - Database Developer - Accoun...

chart is up-side down. how do you correct it to normal.
how to fix??? I would try clicking on it. Then notice the "handles". Take the top center handle and drag it down below the bottom center handle. That's all I can think to do. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "eyewalker" <eyewalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4A846AD-4D35-40A1-98BC-BA41ABC38A6F@microsoft.com... > how to fix??? ...

Copying the Editing in one file to Another opened XLS file
hi! I have been given a task to develop some plugin for excel that will copy any type of editing in the current excel file to the other opened excel file. Is it possible. If so then please guide me how to achieve it. Thanks in advance. Ahmad Jalil Qarshi Depends on what you mean by editing - Workbooks("sourcebooks.xls).Worksheets(1).cells.copy ' then pick your poision: Workbooks("Otherbook.xls").Worksheets(1).Cells.PasteSpecial xlFormats Workbooks("Otherbook.xls").Worksheets(1).Cells.PasteSpecial xlValues Workbooks("Otherbook.xls").Worksheets(1).Ce...

unable to convert publisher project to pdf file
I successfully converted a 34 page project to pdf file and had it published. I added 2 pages to the project and now publisher will not convert it to a pdf file. It prompts me with "not enough memory". I have 4 gig of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive so I don't see how that is not enough for this project. I have to have this book done in the next week. Could you please help me? Which version of Publisher? How are you "converting" it to a .pdf? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Donna&...

MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase files
We are currently running a server with Windows Server 2003 Stanfdard SP1. On this server there is a folder that conatains a System Volume Information folder/ his folder contains sys file that go back 6 weeks and it looks like they overwrite after 6 weeks. The problem is that these file total 27GB and the disk drive is only 33GB. What sare these files, can I delete them, will they return, can I change the file creation from 6 weeks to 3 weeks? Thanks, Bruce "bhwhite" wrote: > We are currently running a server with Windows Server 2003 Stanfdard SP1. On > this server ...

Outlook & Normal.dot
MS Outlook 2003, Version (11.6359.6360) SP1 Everytime I reply on a message and it is sent, I get a pop-up message asking me if I want to replace normal.dot because it has been changed. I know that I have chosen Word as my e-mail writer and can therefor see the relation between Normal.dot and Outlook. How can I disable this message from popping up everytime. I have my default template for Word and do not want to change it. I asume it must be some setting somewhere but am not sure where. Regards and thanx, Deon No need to repost; it's not a chatgroup, answers could take a while. -...

How do I transfer files from folders on my MSN account?
I am trying to set up my Outlook account and get my files moved over to Outlook from my MSN Hotmail account. I am trying to transfer from my "Personal Folders" on MSN to outlook. My process looks like this: 1. Set up new folders on the MSN network. 2. "Move" files from "Personal Folders" on MSN to network folders on MSN. 3. Folders get replicated on Outlook, but the files don't make the trip. Rather the files end up in my Outlook "Inbox" with the current date, rather than the real date of the email messages contained in my personal folder...

OL2003 CRC error in .pst ?
Hey folks I'm running Outlook 2003 and my PST file is 433M. I just got a checksum CRC error on it. I can't pull down mail and the OS won't let me rename so that I could put new PST in its place. Outlook doesn't want to (easily) revert back to a default PST file either. Does any know of a utility that would go into the PST, recalulate a new CRC and change that particular header field. Am I stuck or am I over simplfying the concept? Is there a way out & still save all those email? Thanks in advance. Joe K For those who may not know what a CRC is: Cyclic Redunda...