IP filtering based on corresponding MX records

Hello Dears,

How can I implement the following?

Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration;
FE is in perimeter zone (capable to “speak” with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve
info)

So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users.
I need something like that:

When connecting, see the “mail from: user@somedomain.xxx”;
Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection
was established in DNS for the domain “somedomain.xxx”
If not – drop connection
(attention: MX record, not SPF)

Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only?
How?

Thank you,
Alex

I believe you're talking about Exchange trying to perform a forward
lookup during the HELO initiation. I don't think Exchange can do this.
I'm not sure if you're trying to incoporate this as part of your SPAM
solution or trying to explicity block a domain or not, but most people
will tell you that blocking soely on foward on reverse lookups is not a
comprehensive solution. In addition blocking solely on failed forward
lookups does not comply with RFC protocol.

James Chong

Alex has a question wrote:
> Hello Dears,
>
> How can I implement the following?
>
> Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration;
> FE is in perimeter zone (capable to "speak" with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve
> info)
>
> So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users.
> I need something like that:
>
> When connecting, see the "mail from: user@somedomain.xxx";
> Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection
> was established in DNS for the domain "somedomain.xxx"
> If not - drop connection
> (attention: MX record, not SPF)
>
> Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only?
> How?
>
> Thank you,
> Alex

0
jamestechman (1266)
10/17/2006 4:13:06 PM
"james chong" <jamestechman@gmail.com> wrote:

>I believe you're talking about Exchange trying to perform a forward
>lookup during the HELO initiation. I don't think Exchange can do this.
>I'm not sure if you're trying to incoporate this as part of your SPAM
>solution or trying to explicity block a domain or not, but most people
>will tell you that blocking soely on foward on reverse lookups is not a
>comprehensive solution. In addition blocking solely on failed forward
>lookups does not comply with RFC protocol.

Spam is war. Sometimes you just gotta ignore the RFC's, although I'm
not sure which one you found that in.

If someone's using a phoney domain name to send mail, who cares if you
drop the message? You'd never be able to reply to it, you'll never be
able to send a NDR to it.

I'd agree that reverse lookups are of dubious value. But a failed
forward lookup? Oh, yeah . . . it's junk. Don't send a 250, send a 5xx
or a 4xx (if you think that its just a transient DNS problem) as the
status for the MAIL FROM. Either that or give it a pretty high ranking
in your evaluation of the message's spamminess.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Spam is war. Sometimes you just gotta ignore the RFC's, although I'm
> not sure which one you found that in.

Agree with you there. Here is the RFC. There are organizations that
have misconfigured settings that introduce themselves as as a domain in
the HELO that do not resolve which would result in the 5xx NDRs from
orgs that reject if the forward lookup failed.

HELO Command: RFC-821 Section 3.5

         The sender-SMTP MUST ensure that the <domain> parameter in a
         HELO command is a valid principal host domain name for the
         client host.  As a result, the receiver-SMTP will not have to
         perform MX resolution on this name in order to validate the
         HELO parameter.

         The HELO receiver MAY verify that the HELO parameter really
         corresponds to the IP address of the sender.  However, the
         receiver MUST NOT refuse to accept a message, even if the
         sender's HELO command fails verification.

Rich Matheisen [MVP] wrote:
> "james chong" <jamestechman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I believe you're talking about Exchange trying to perform a forward
> >lookup during the HELO initiation. I don't think Exchange can do this.
> >I'm not sure if you're trying to incoporate this as part of your SPAM
> >solution or trying to explicity block a domain or not, but most people
> >will tell you that blocking soely on foward on reverse lookups is not a
> >comprehensive solution. In addition blocking solely on failed forward
> >lookups does not comply with RFC protocol.
>
> Spam is war. Sometimes you just gotta ignore the RFC's, although I'm
> not sure which one you found that in.
>
> If someone's using a phoney domain name to send mail, who cares if you
> drop the message? You'd never be able to reply to it, you'll never be
> able to send a NDR to it.
>
> I'd agree that reverse lookups are of dubious value. But a failed
> forward lookup? Oh, yeah . . . it's junk. Don't send a 250, send a 5xx
> or a 4xx (if you think that its just a transient DNS problem) as the
> status for the MAIL FROM. Either that or give it a pretty high ranking
> in your evaluation of the message's spamminess.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
jamestechman (1266)
10/17/2006 7:43:49 PM
"james chong" <jamestechman@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Spam is war. Sometimes you just gotta ignore the RFC's, although I'm
>> not sure which one you found that in.
>
>Agree with you there. Here is the RFC. There are organizations that
>have misconfigured settings that introduce themselves as as a domain in
>the HELO that do not resolve which would result in the 5xx NDRs from
>orgs that reject if the forward lookup failed.

And rightly so. If you can't follow the accepted norms you don't
deserve to have your mail accepted anywhere. Is that harsh? You bet.
But it's necessary. The Internet ain't what it was in 1982 when that
RFC was accepted.

>HELO Command: RFC-821 Section 3.5
>
>         The sender-SMTP MUST ensure that the <domain> parameter in a
>         HELO command is a valid principal host domain name for the
>         client host.  As a result, the receiver-SMTP will not have to
>         perform MX resolution on this name in order to validate the
>         HELO parameter.
>
>         The HELO receiver MAY verify that the HELO parameter really
>         corresponds to the IP address of the sender.  However, the
>         receiver MUST NOT refuse to accept a message, even if the
>         sender's HELO command fails verification.

Why bother to refuse a message when you can dump the whole connection?
If the HELO domain/fqdn doesn't exist there's no need to proceed
beyond the HELO! I think you'll find that this part of the RFC is one
that can be safely ignored.

Here's a few you shouldn't accept at all:

HELO 0.0.0.0
HELO 127.0.0.*
HELO ip-address  <== should be [ip-address]
HELO <your-ip-addrss>
HELO localhost
HELO loccalhost.localdomain
HELO <your own domain name>
HELO <your own server name>
HELO hostname	<== not a domain or fqdn

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1)
"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
> "james chong" <jamestechman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >HELO Command: RFC-821 Section 3.5
> >
> >         The HELO receiver MAY verify that the HELO parameter really
> >         corresponds to the IP address of the sender.  However, the
> >         receiver MUST NOT refuse to accept a message, even if the
> >         sender's HELO command fails verification.
>
> Why bother to refuse a message when you can dump the whole connection?
> If the HELO domain/fqdn doesn't exist there's no need to proceed
> beyond the HELO! I think you'll find that this part of the RFC is one
> that can be safely ignored.

It suits me fine.
How I can implement with Exchange 2003 SP2? Is it possible?
If "no", maybe you can me say about software with the same effects?

2)
>I'd agree that reverse lookups are of dubious value. But a failed
>forward lookup? Oh, yeah . . . it's junk. Don't send a 250, send a 5xx
>or a 4xx (if you think that its just a transient DNS problem) as the
>status for the MAIL FROM. Either that or give it a pretty high ranking
>in your evaluation of the message's spamminess.
> Here's a few you shouldn't accept at all:
>
> HELO 0.0.0.0
> HELO 127.0.0.*
> HELO ip-address  <== should be [ip-address]
> HELO <your-ip-addrss>
> HELO localhost
> HELO loccalhost.localdomain
> HELO <your own domain name>
> HELO <your own server name>
> HELO hostname	<== not a domain or fqdn

How can I configure it in Exchage?

Thank you,
Alex
I'm don't think Exchange can do this. I believe Exchange is set to
accept all connections in the HELO and does not do any verification.
There was a recent thread about this which you can read here. I believe
someone suggested a third party product as well. I'm sure there are a
number of third party SPAM apps that can do this.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.exchange.admin/browse_thread/thread/9e22ea4113870a25/e000cc2d1ab83b45?lnk=st&q=SMTP+Mail+Forgery+Vulnerability&rnum=6#e000cc2d1ab83b45

James Chong

Alex has a question wrote:
> Rich, James,
> Thank you very much for your attention and your replies.
>
> 1)
> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
> > "james chong" <jamestechman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >HELO Command: RFC-821 Section 3.5
> > >
> > >         The HELO receiver MAY verify that the HELO parameter really
> > >         corresponds to the IP address of the sender.  However, the
> > >         receiver MUST NOT refuse to accept a message, even if the
> > >         sender's HELO command fails verification.
> >
> > Why bother to refuse a message when you can dump the whole connection?
> > If the HELO domain/fqdn doesn't exist there's no need to proceed
> > beyond the HELO! I think you'll find that this part of the RFC is one
> > that can be safely ignored.
>
> It suits me fine.
> How I can implement with Exchange 2003 SP2? Is it possible?
> If "no", maybe you can me say about software with the same effects?
>
> 2)
> >I'd agree that reverse lookups are of dubious value. But a failed
> >forward lookup? Oh, yeah . . . it's junk. Don't send a 250, send a 5xx
> >or a 4xx (if you think that its just a transient DNS problem) as the
> >status for the MAIL FROM. Either that or give it a pretty high ranking
> >in your evaluation of the message's spamminess.
> > Here's a few you shouldn't accept at all:
> >
> > HELO 0.0.0.0
> > HELO 127.0.0.*
> > HELO ip-address  <== should be [ip-address]
> > HELO <your-ip-addrss>
> > HELO localhost
> > HELO loccalhost.localdomain
> > HELO <your own domain name>
> > HELO <your own server name>
> > HELO hostname	<== not a domain or fqdn
> >

> How can I configure it in Exchage?
>
> Thank you,
> Alex

0
jamestechman (1266)
10/18/2006 1:42:18 PM
Alex has a question <Alexhasaquestion@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

					[ snip ]

>> Why bother to refuse a message when you can dump the whole connection?
>> If the HELO domain/fqdn doesn't exist there's no need to proceed
>> beyond the HELO! I think you'll find that this part of the RFC is one
>> that can be safely ignored.
>
>It suits me fine.
>How I can implement with Exchange 2003 SP2? Is it possible?
>If "no", maybe you can me say about software with the same effects?

For something inexpensive, try ORF (http://www.vamsoft.com/orf).

					[ snip ]

>How can I configure it in Exchage?

You can't.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"james chong" <jamestechman@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm don't think Exchange can do this. I believe Exchange is set to
>accept all connections in the HELO and does not do any verification.

Which is (just) one of the reasons Exchange shouldn't be used as an
inflow server from the Internet.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Filter XML using XPath
Hello, The following XML file shows an example of some config data for a Side Button Bar control. There are two forms this Button Bar control relates to, "frmMainMenu" and "Listing". <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?> - <productx> - <Table Name="Group1"> <value>ABCDEG</value> <Parent>MainMenuButtonBar</Parent> <Menu>NO</Menu> <Form Name="frmMainMenu" /> </Table> - <Table Name="Group1"> <value>ABCDEFG</value> <...

Form to search database and return found records
In my Windows XP Access 2003 database (with 4 tables) I need a 'search form' where I can enter values (corresponding to different tables) in the top half of the screen and have matching records returned in the bottom half of the screen. I have been able to create a form for the top half, and another one for the bottom half. I am able to enter filter criteria in the top successfully (i.e., debug.print returns the correct filter string). However, I do not know how to link the filter to the sub-form at the bottom. I have gone through similar posts/solutions, but am still having prob...

can't install office 2003 Junk email filter
When I try to install Outlook 2003 Junk email filter office 2003-kb890854-fullfile-ENU.exe I get the error: 2092 an internal error has occurred ixfassenbly copy I rebooted and it does the same thing. -- thanks Jonesgold ...

Send to ip address
Is there a way to send the journal entries (receipt copy) to an ip address? I'm trying to integrate into the cctv system (security cameras) which accepts the data via an ip address / port #5111. I would like to do it with the software rather than have more hardware (serial tap onto printer). Thanks Robert I am trying to do that same thing but I am trying to make it work thru a 2nd printer that wont be there. "Orbyog" wrote: > Is there a way to send the journal entries (receipt copy) to an ip address? > I'm trying to integrate into the cctv system (security cam...

Message Filtering #2
We have installed the IMF on our exchange Server 2003. Generally speaking, the settings we have do a good job of filtering the SPAM. However, there are several sites that are sending us mail that we never receive, probably because they are consistently being filtered out. these senders do include a sales pitch in each of their emails so we figure that they are correctly being filtered because they do look like SPAM. These messages don't even end up in our junk mail folders we don't want to loosen the filtering because that would allow many more SPAM messages thru and we are not ev...

Resetting values based on change in cells of other column
I need help with doing the following logic in my worksheet A B C 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 3 3 2 4 1 2 5 2 I want column C to restart its incrementing whenever column switches to a new value. Any help would be appreciated. From you example, you want column C to increment unless Column A changes manually put 1 in C1 first Put =IF(A2=A1,C1+1,1) in cell C2 and copy down. -- Gary's Student "NSteinner" wrote: > I need help with doing the following...

Filtering messages from mydomain.com to mydomain.com if the originator's IP doesn't match my IP block
Can I do that in Exchange 2000/2003 and, if so - how? Thanks! You can do it on exchange 2003, by enabling sender id. see http://www.petri.co.il/configuring_sender_id_in_exchange_sp2.htm "Fritz" <fritz@dontbite.com> wrote in message news:uShKcMfIGHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Can I do that in Exchange 2000/2003 and, if so - how? > > Thanks! > > After Uninstalling/Reinstalling IMF, the Sender ID tab is missing from the global message delivery options in ESM. How do I get it back? Thanks! "Tom Felts" <tfelts@nospam.mckennalong.com>...

Filter Switches vs Macro?
Excel 2000 ... I have Filter Switches which I activate with various recorded Macros (1 Filter Switch per Macro) ... this is working fine as long as there is not a Filter Switch already activated. Above said ... I need a little Macro instruction I can paste into my recorded Macros that will set any activated Filter Switches back to ALL before activating the Filter Switch I am calling for??? This so I do not get multiple Filter Switches activated by my Macros ... Thanks ... Kha Selection.AutoFilter resets all filters HTH, Gary Brown "Ken" wrote: > Excel 2000 ... I ...

Filtering Cells
I want to filter a colomn containing (nnnn)aaaa where n is a numeric and a is an alpha character. The colomn contains two names eg: cats or dogs represented by the alpha characters above. How do I sort the cats from the dogs? TIA Hi Use Data / Filter / AutoFilter and then use Custom on the column and select contains cats or contains dogs -- Andy. "Jeanne khuri" <keyan.khuri@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:kNTJc.8$wq5.6@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net... > I want to filter a colomn containing (nnnn)aaaa where n is a numeric and a > is an alpha character. T...

Connection Filtering not working?
Howdy, I have E2K3 Std. Ed. SP1 and Symantec Corporate Edition (Anti-spam and up to date Anti-Virus) on W2K3 Std. Ed. SP1. I have entered 67.160.74.91 into the deny list and yet when I look in the Symantec logs it says I've received viri from that address! I thought that if I entered an IP or subnet into the Deny list I would no longer receive email from that IP or subnet. Why are viri being caught in the anti-virus when Exchange should be filtering that connection? Stacey Assuming you enabled it on the SMTP virtual server as well... ? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.co...

Apply value of a combo box as a filter
i would like to filter through records on a form using a combo box list. I want the user to be able to select an item in the combo box and have the records filtered to that value. I am able to do this with a Value List RowSourceType and a finite RowSource of items. However, I want the RowSource to be an SQL statement so it will dynamically update as new items are added to the table. The RowSource works fine. However, when I try to use the DoCmd.ApplyFilter statement, it pops up a Enter Parameter Value box. Here's the code I am using with the ApplyFilter command: Dim stEquipI...

How do i set open form to current record?
I have a command button on the main form and when clicked a secondary form opens however any data keyed in resets the main form back to record one. How do i set the second form entries to apply to the current record? I'm going to guess that you are requerying the mainform, so that it updates from the data in the second form. Instead of Requery try Refresh when you go back to the main form. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "acss" <joekru98@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BACE1739-8...

ip numbers overflow
Thought I would do a simple lookup to see where login attempts are coming from. Imported table with ip addresses. I compare the following ip_num to a table to find the block range and it works fine except.... ip_num: ([A]*16777216)+([B]*65536)+([C]*256)+[D] if A is too large I get an overflow. I realize that the datatype needs to be a Long but so far my attempts to use CLng haven't helped. Thought this would be a simple thing. Any ideas. Thanks, Scott Acess 2003 sorry Because it uses short integers. Try: ip_num: ([A]*CDEC(16777216))+([B]*CDEC(65536))+([C]*CDEC(256))+[D] "sc...

Filter lines with Pivot table and non pivot table columns
I have created a pivot table. Next to the pivot table are columns to enter data and then additional clolumns to add the pivot table and not pivot table data. I am running a filter on a column in the pivot table, and the non pivot table data entered does not hold with the pivot table line. (For example, I have an line in the pivot table (say line 20) call "item 1". I enter a value in a Column outside the pivot table to correspond to item 1 on line 20. When I filter on "item 1" - it now moves to line 5; however, the amount I manually added to line 20 outside the pivot ...

Postmaster and IP
It looks like there is a blackhole list that is blocking my server from a Exchange 2000 exploit that was allowing some chinese hackers to relay SPAM from my server. That has long since changed and that server is gone. I have a new server now, with the same IP and therefore I am still on the list. To get off the list they need to reply to my request to postmaster@ipa.ddr.ess.sss. The ONLY way to allow this to happen to add the IP address to my recipient policy and then add postmaster as an aliad for a user? -- - I am Johnny This should help you out: http://www.msexchange.org/arti...

Finding similar records
Hello, I have a database of retail properties. I need to create what I think is a fairly simple query to find "similar" properties. I am comparing square feet and sales volumes. I have set created a query where the user inputs the ranges, but I'd like to have this done automatically. For instance: We have a new location which is 20,000 square feet and has a projected sales volume of $3,000,000. I'd like the query to find the closest match(es) to this. The criteria would be +/- 5,000 sq. ft. and +/- $500,000. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance. On Mon...

Bill recording
I have a number of monthly payments set up in the "bills" section of Money 2007 Deluxe. I am wondering why, when I download my checking account transactions, they don't match up with the bills. Money will show those bills as overdue when in fact they have been debited from my account on the date indicated in the bills section. Further, there doesn't seem to be any way to go back and link it to the transaction I downloaded. what am I doing wrong? Joaneee wrote: > The downloaded transactions get matched to entries in your checking account, > not in the bills l...

Extract value from specific record to populate a new record
sHi, Not really sure how to get my question across. I am using Office 2007. I have a form that consists of a Drop box(which displays a license plate numbers) and other fields with vehicle information ie. "miles out" and "miles in". This form populates a dispatch info table. When I choose a license plate number for a new record I would like the "miles in" field to auto fill with the last "miles in" value corresponding to the license plate number chosen. any help would be greatly appreciated. "Eddie B" <Eddie B@discussions.micro...

Forms Based Auth & Anon. Pub Folder Access
Hello, We've enabled Forms based Authentication on our Ex2k3 server for OWA. Doing this seems to disable ( grey out ) the ability to change the authentication settings on any virtual directories through ESM under Protocols -> HTTP -> Exchange virtual servers. No problem, I'll change it in IIS on the virtual directory. Doesn't work, apparently the metabase update overwrites the settings and undoes the Anonymous access I manually set. I need to allow Anonymous access to some calendars in the Public Folders. How can i do it? Here's another one for you. ESM ->...

substraction of sequential records
I need to calculate moving ranges in either a report or query. Currently my query returns TestTime (ascending) and TestResult. The moving range is the absolute difference between two consecutive samples. TestTime TestResult MovingRange 8am 20 -- 9am 24 4 10am 21 3 11am 26 5 Once all the moving ranges are calculated, I need to report the average of the moving ranges. ...

Mail header contain physical node IP instead virtual IP
Hello I have exchange 2003 with SP1 on windows 2003 cluster. When we sending to internet from exchange cluster the mail header contain the physical node IP instead of exchange virtual IP, and cause our mail rejected remote host because they are doing reverse lookup Any Idea how I force to exchange that it will put the virtual IP in sending mail header instead physical Nagori Second result on Google http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.exchange.clustering/browse_thread/thread/4191473d1dc25394/b1190f4f791ab372?q=virtual+ip+node+smtp++group:microsoft.public.exchange.*&...

IP stack
Hi, I'd like to accomplish this (pseudo code): if ( domain = host1.domain1.com || ip = w.x.y.z ) { domain = host2.domain2.com; ip = dnslookup ( domain ); } On the tcp stack, effectively transparently replacing one ip by another. This requires some low level access to tcp packets so data fields can be manipulated, like firewalls, proxies, nats and pats do. It can be easily accomplished with iptables on linux platform. But how could I implement such thing? Many years ago, I remembered that on the pc you could REPLACE the standard winsock.dll with a proxy stub that takes the p...

changing area color based on line value
I have been working with an area chart colored in green. Based on certain values of the graph, I would like the area just below the data point highlighted in a different color (like red). In the end, the area graph will have 2 different colors in the 'area' below the line. The color below, will depend on the value of the line above. Any help is appreciated. Also, I would consider a vertical bar graph where the spacing in between bars is zero. That way, from a far, it could give the appearance of an area graph. I think I would need each 'bar' colored appropriately. ...

count distinct records
I am trying to count the numberof disctinct transactions that a sales person has worked on. It seems that the distinctcount function in Crystal Reports does not work in RMS. Does anyone have an alternative for this function? If by sales person you mean CASHIER, paste this on a notepad, save it as something like "Custom - Transaction Count by Cashier", run it from store ops mgr - reports - custom.....hope this helps //--- Report Summary --- // Begin ReportSummary ReportType = reporttypeSales ReportTitle = "Transactions Count by Cashier" PageOrientation = ...

Two servers behind one public IP
I am currently running an email server on our AS400 to handle our email. I am replacing this AS400 based email server with an Exchange Server 2003. I currently have a single public IP address assigned to our outside firewall/router. The router is configured to direct all SMTP and POP3 to our AS400 based email server. I would like to leave the AS400 setup and working and move users to our new Exchange server in small groups. I know this may be more of a network question, but thought maybe someone else had tried something similiar. Has anyone tried to do anything similiar? What would be t...