Interresting Directory question Outlook clients connecting to wro

I have a problem in my environment where, at random, clients are grabbing
Directory servers from our Forest Root domain (empty root).  Looking in
Exchange config directory access is configured for DC4,DC5,DC6.  AD sites and
services have been configured so that Exchange servers have their own GCs
(DC4,DC5,DC6) and that the user community is configured for a different site
which contains (FR1,FR2, DC1,DC2,DC3) Fr denotes forest root and DC denotes
domain controllers in the user domain. For some reason, at random, clients
are looking at FR1 and FR2 for directory information.  This presents a
problem as these servers are forest root and do not contain all DL
information.  My question is this, where do Outlook 2003 clients get their
directory server information for Exchange.  Is it from the Exchange config or
is it from AD sites and services or is it form somewhere else.

Exchange 2000/2003 & AD 2000 functional level

Thanks for any insight you can provide

Scott

Outlook 2000 and later clients obtain the information from the DSProxy
component of Exchange which gets the list from the DSAccess component. It is
the GC server name that is provided to the Outlook client and there is a way
to configure which GC an Outlook client should use:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319206/en-us

Nue
"Scott Miller" <ScottMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a problem in my environment where, at random, clients are grabbing
> Directory servers from our Forest Root domain (empty root).  Looking in
> Exchange config directory access is configured for DC4,DC5,DC6.  AD sites
> and
> services have been configured so that Exchange servers have their own GCs
> (DC4,DC5,DC6) and that the user community is configured for a different
> site
> which contains (FR1,FR2, DC1,DC2,DC3) Fr denotes forest root and DC
> denotes
> domain controllers in the user domain. For some reason, at random, clients
> are looking at FR1 and FR2 for directory information.  This presents a
> problem as these servers are forest root and do not contain all DL
> information.  My question is this, where do Outlook 2003 clients get their
> directory server information for Exchange.  Is it from the Exchange config
> or
> is it from AD sites and services or is it form somewhere else.
>
> Exchange 2000/2003 & AD 2000 functional level
>
> Thanks for any insight you can provide

0
imaneophyte (3004)
2/14/2006 4:31:47 PM
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:24:03 -0800, Scott Miller
<ScottMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a problem in my environment where, at random, clients are grabbing
>Directory servers from our Forest Root domain (empty root).  Looking in
>Exchange config directory access is configured for DC4,DC5,DC6.  AD sites and
>services have been configured so that Exchange servers have their own GCs
>(DC4,DC5,DC6) and that the user community is configured for a different site
>which contains (FR1,FR2, DC1,DC2,DC3) Fr denotes forest root and DC denotes
>domain controllers in the user domain. For some reason, at random, clients
>are looking at FR1 and FR2 for directory information.  This presents a
>problem as these servers are forest root and do not contain all DL
>information.  My question is this, where do Outlook 2003 clients get their
>directory server information for Exchange.  Is it from the Exchange config or
>is it from AD sites and services or is it form somewhere else.
>
>Exchange 2000/2003 & AD 2000 functional level
>
>Thanks for any insight you can provide

Have you applied Exchange 2003 SP2?

0
adavid (8731)
2/15/2006 3:17:54 AM
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:31:47 -0500, "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Scott
>
>Outlook 2000 and later clients obtain the information from the DSProxy
>component of Exchange which gets the list from the DSAccess component. It is
>the GC server name that is provided to the Outlook client and there is a way
>to configure which GC an Outlook client should use:

	I would not generally recommend that you hard code GCs.

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319206/en-us
>
>Nue
>"Scott Miller" <ScottMiller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a problem in my environment where, at random, clients are grabbing
>> Directory servers from our Forest Root domain (empty root).  Looking in
>> Exchange config directory access is configured for DC4,DC5,DC6.  AD sites
>> and
>> services have been configured so that Exchange servers have their own GCs
>> (DC4,DC5,DC6) and that the user community is configured for a different
>> site
>> which contains (FR1,FR2, DC1,DC2,DC3) Fr denotes forest root and DC
>> denotes
>> domain controllers in the user domain. For some reason, at random, clients
>> are looking at FR1 and FR2 for directory information.  This presents a
>> problem as these servers are forest root and do not contain all DL
>> information.  My question is this, where do Outlook 2003 clients get their
>> directory server information for Exchange.  Is it from the Exchange config
>> or
>> is it from AD sites and services or is it form somewhere else.
>>
>> Exchange 2000/2003 & AD 2000 functional level
>>
>> Thanks for any insight you can provide

0
adavid (8731)

Internet Security Warning
As of last month I have been getting the following message on all accounts that use SSL in Windows Live Mail Desktop: "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider. Do you want to continue using this server?" This happened on three accounts: 1) Gmail POP3: pop.gmail.com - Port 995 SMTP: smtp.gmail.com - Port 465 2) Oxford Nexus IMAP: imap.nexus.ox.ac.uk - Port 993 SMTP: smtp.ox.ac.uk - Port ...

questionable operation
I have a user with an installation of Windows 2000, Office 2000 with all the latest service packs. Opening Excel first and then opening a .XLS file works as designed. Opening anything else, either from a shortcut or the actual file ends up with not only that file open but a 'Book1' file open as well. Also being opened this way if any change is made to the original file and an attempt to Exit (not just close the file) is made...it asks the usual "Do you want to save changes" message...but then it does not close the file. Both 'Book1' and the original file remain open. ...

Outlook 2003 attach file very slow, Pls help!
I am using outlook 2003, it will take long time when I attach a file. I had installed all office 2003 patch, but the problem can't fix. Anyone can give me some suggestion? Thanks! What takes a long time? 1) Does it take a long time before the dialog "Attach File" comes up? 2) Or does it take a long time before the email has been send? When you drag & drop an attachment, does it take a long time as well? Or when using a little attachment (e.g. .txt file)? "Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E25FBAF-B566-4EEC-B165-00349CC06D5F@micro...

*EASY* question!
Blank Hello Firstly I am sorry for multi-posting, but I didn't understand the answer I got in the main excel newsgroup. #Here is my question:- I have a drop down feature with a list of 'yes' and 'no' in my E Column. Is there any way I could enter a formula or something so if the answer selected is 'no' the whole row turns a different colour. I hope I have explained myself okay. Thanks for your help -- @---}-- Laura..... :) Liverpool, England "Do you know where you're going to?" Hi Laura You could use Format/Conditional Formatting. Select th...

sychronizing Outlook 2003
My boss uses Outlook 2003 on his desktop computer at work. He now needs to have Outlook on a laptop and wants to be able to synchronize between the 2 instances of the program. Before he leaves for his trip he wants to update the emails and contacts from the desktop to the laptop, when he returns he wants to update from his laptop to his desktop. Is there an easy way to set this up? I haven't installed Outlook on the laptop yet in case there are some configuration changes I should make when installing. Thanks for any help. Boze See if the info here helps: http://www.slipstick...

Application.GetOpenFilename from a specified directory
Hello! I have Excel 2003 and I already have a macro to popup a open file dialog. However, it always starts at "C:\My Documents" folder. I want it to browse files to open from a specific directory. How is this done? Note that I already have the "ChDir" on the line above the "Application.GetOpenFilename" but the browsing does not start from the specified directory. Thanks in advance for your response. This is small example Change MyPath = ThisWorkbook.Path to your folder MyPath = "C:\Users\Ron\test\" Sub test() Dim FName As Varia...

Outlook 2007: Crash, Reading Pane disappeared
Hi, this is my first entry here. I use Outlook 2007 and I got a crash today, when I got over 6000 messages. It sounds pretty crazy but I forgot this email account :) Anyway, there was this crash and after that, I restarted my pc and outlook, and it was impossible to open the reading pane. Neither on the bottom nor on the right. It is just off. But I can click the right and the bottom box, but nothing happens. Does anyone know that problem and a solution? Thanks in advance, Sven -- svenvaeth http://www.techtalkz.com - Technology and Computer Troubleshooting Forums svenvaeth <guest...

interrested in CRM have some implementation questions
Interrested in possibly replacing our sales software (ACT) and our cust service/development Issue tracking stuff with this. Has anyone seen this package used in a software development environment? We write lots of software products some off the shelf some custom, for customers, track internal bugs found by testers, bugs from customers, etc, have a KB, and more. We're very familiar with .NET (ASP.net and VB.NET) as well as SQL server. Is this thing customizable etc? Curious if anyone is doing that or similar. Thanks. The online demo videos at MS didn't provide much of a clue. ...

XP Office outlook personal folders
Through some technical glitch, i lost all my personal folders months ago - all emails, contacts etc. After some fruitless weeks of revovery efforts, i simply started all over. now, the original set of personal folders, all of them, have reappeared and are fully accessible. i need to know how to merge all the email folders, contacts, etc, but since XP office does not appear to contemplate this possibility, i am unable to find hints on how to merge. Any ideas?? Thanks. ...

Excel and Outlook
I have an website with a HTML form that allows user to send his data. Usually they will submit the Name, Contact Number, Email address ect. I am using the Microsoft outlook to see all the form that the my client submit from the website. Every time, i need to manually copy and paste the client particular into excel (since I'm using excel to organize client data) I'm wondering is that possible to make it automatic instead of copy one by one? Any suggestion would be appreciate. -- qiqinuinaifen128 ...

OUTBOX question
Is there any reason why one message in the outbox will not send when Send/Receive is pressed? It seems to happen when I am looking at the Outbox, actually have the Outbox opened in the outlook window. If there is one message, it doesn't send. If there are multiple messages, all but one will send. The one remaining changes from italicized to normal and sits there. If I open it, click on send again, then Send/Receive and it will send. Hi, This is possible only when you opened the message in the Outbox before it was sent. If you open a message that is in the Outbox and close it ...

Outlook breaks when browsing contact list
On an installation of Outlook 2000 (Up to latest sp, connected to an Exchange 5.5. Server, OS - XP Pro)Outlook will close completely when you try to scroll the contact list. The Global Address book works fine but when you can add a name from the viewable area of the listbox but as soon as you try to scroll (it will not scroll) Outlook with just freeze, then shutdown completely. Any ideas on what the fix might be? Regards, - Bill - I have seen this before where I work.. (connected to Exchange 5.5, OS - 2K Pro, Outlook 2000). I have been able to resolve it by just cleaning off a...

Microsoft CRM installation without Active Directory??
Does anyone know if Microsoft CRM can be installed without Active Directory? I have seen it as a requirement in pretty much all of the documentation, but we currently do not have it deployed and would like to go forward post haste with our MS CRM install... Any help or comments based on your knowledge and/or previous experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jonathan You cannot install CRM without an Active Directory. It is also almost certain that future versions of CRM will require an Active Directory as well. My suggestion would be to install a test Domain with Active Directory ...

Directory Structure starting with the Current Directory ..
Hi, Could someone Pls tell me how do i do this: In my macro the user gets to select the file to open: ExcelFile1 = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel- files,*.xls", _ 1, "Select Input File To Open", , False) My requirement is the Windows explorer should show the directory structure starting with the Current Directory rather than showing the directory structure Starting with desktop or some other. Thanks in Advance for any help. Neeraja. ...

Outlook 2003 start new message with html source
Hi, I want to start a outlook message but write html to the source rather then text. Is this possible? I can open up an outlook 2003 message and write to the address, subject body. Example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe /c ipm.note /m asdf?subject=something^&body=^<b^>asdf^</b^> However, this writes <b>asdf</b> in the message body. I want it to write B (in bold), can this be done? ...

Active Directory Connector (MSADC)
I'm having a hard time to get this thing to work correctly. I have created connection agreements and it is not synching correctly. I verified and checked and all the Primary NT Accounts in the Exchange properties have corresponding AD Domain accounts. However the ADC created some disabled accounts for existing users. It also logs that certain users are Custom recipients and cannot be matched up with a mailbox object in AD, when in fact they are not Custom Recipients.. they are mailbox. This ADC is very confusing. It seems like the Exchange Directory structure is trying to replicate i...

Can not minimize the outlook window while using MAPI to send mail
Dear All, I am using the MAPI to send a mail from outlook. The code works correctly. the only problem I am facing is that when it opens the new mail window in outlook, the new windows can be closed / resized but I can not minimize the window. So is there any restriction with MAPI? The code is given below: ------------------------------------------------- HMODULE hlibMAPI=LoadLibrary(_T("MAPI32.DLL")); if(hlibMAPI) { LPMAPILOGON m_fpMAPILogon = (LPMAPILOGON) GetProcAddress(hlibMAPI, "MAPILogon"); LPMAPILOGOFF m_fpMAPILogoff = (LPMAPILOGOFF) GetProcAddress(hlib...

Screendumps in Outlook 2002
For some reason I cannot place screendumps in my mails anymore. Clicking on Format, I only have Plain text and HTMl available. So I have to clik on Plain text and accept that. The I can clik on format and now I have rich text available, and choosing this I can place screen dunmps in my mails. When I receive mails with screen dumps they look like little sqares with a red cross. As default I have format'html'. When I choose: Tools - Options - Mail format - Message Format: I have no choise. This is a company computer and therefore we cannot choose ourselves. Do you have an id...

Web Deployment Project Directories
Does a Web Deployment Project in vs10 delete the current website and then install the new one. I noticed if I created a directory on the IIS website it did not get deleted. However, if I created a file on the IIS website it did get deleted. Hi, >Does a Web Deployment Project in vs10 delete the current website and then >install the new one. I noticed if I created a directory on the IIS website >it did not get deleted. >However, if I created a file on the IIS website it did get deleted. I think the behavior is, it checks the destination folder and compare th...

Excel calculation question for stocks
Hello all-- I have an Excel question Here you will find James River Cola historic prices and are downloadable to your computer and Excel can open it http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=JRCC What is not on the table is the daily percent increase or decrease of the stock each day. Is there any way of getting Excel to perform this calculation for each day and going back for some months? I would like the result to show up in the next valuable cell So Excel has to subtract the opening price from the closing price (or vis versa) and then calculate the percentage change Thanks Denny goto ...

Balancing question for Money 2007
I had Money 2003 which didn't seem to play nicely with Windows 7, so I went to eBay and bought a Money 2007. I am trying to catch up on the last few months of balancing (manually) and am dismayed at the details display. The old version used to show me the total of deposits, and the total of withdrawals. Made it easier to figure out what I entered wrong. The new version only shows me the grand total by which I am out of balance. I've looked through the help etc and cannot find a way to tell Money to display the deposit/withdrawals subtotals. Is there any way to do t...

Outlook cached mode
We have several mailboxes that are > 1GB and a few that are >2GB. Is there any size limitation to the .ost file that cached mode uses? On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:22:02 -0700, SilverICE <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have several mailboxes that are > 1GB and a few that are >2GB. Is there >any size limitation to the .ost file that cached mode uses? http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011402591033.aspx When Cached Exchange Mode first creates a local copy of a user's mailbox, the user's current OST file � if one exists � is updated. ...

Read mail become unread when I open Outlook again
Outlook 2002. Please help. ...

Exchange 5.5 Advance Properties, Directory name field question.
I have a user that has a username which is "asdf01", this username works throughout the domain while signed in at work. When the user is at home connected from her home pc. She goes to our email website to retieve her email. She is not able too.... When researching this users account I found that she has a second username "asdf02" in the Advance Properties tab, Directory Name. I'm not able to change this field, it is greyed with the users name. In the users active directory account, thier is no sign if this second username. My question is: What is this ...

Outlook 2003 connectivity issues #2
Since 20th December 2005 I've had problems connecting Outlook to my Exchange Server (when it does connect, it "freezes" the server. Having had a "root" through my Laptop, I notice that on 19th December, the following automatic updates were installed: Windows XP: KB910437 Security update: KB905915 Outlook 2003 Junk Email filter update: KB905648 Has anyone experienced any similar problems or issues? I am tempted to remove the Outlook one to see if it resolves the problem. Regards Colin Foster ...